News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 07-28-06, 12:16 PM
SpursReport Rookie

possible SF?

monia wavied
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-28-06, 12:25 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Career Averages:

3 ppg , 2 rpg , .7 apg , .27 spg , .1 bpg , 71% FT , 27% 3PT , 33% FG

I don't know about this guy fitting in with the Spurs.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-28-06, 12:25 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Looks like former Blazers first-round draft pick Sergei Monia is heading back to Europe after the Kings requested waivers on the 23-year-old yesterday.

Monia was waived due to his desire to return to Europe and resume his career overseas

What's gonna change his mind??
Old 07-28-06, 12:26 PM
SpursReport Rookie

He doesnt even want to play in the NBA anymore he wants to go back to europe

edit : you beat me
Old 07-28-06, 12:45 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver&Black22
Looks like former Blazers first-round draft pick Sergei Monia is heading back to Europe after the Kings requested waivers on the 23-year-old yesterday.

Monia was waived due to his desire to return to Europe and resume his career overseas

What's gonna change his mind??
He is Russian. If he cam to the Spurs he would not have the trouble of communicating with the coach as he did in Portland and Sac. If you click the link you can read that he has not learned english. Beno and Pop could speak with him.

On a sidenote: Many times when a player is leaving a team (esp. if he soes not speak english) you wont get the whole story. If your NBA career was started by being on the Trailgansters and the Queens with Bonzi and Artest, and you were not one of the boys cuz you did not speak english (which also means you don't play in the games) then I could see wanting to go back to more stable surroundings and maybe more money.

I don't know if the Spurs want him but I could easily see how the Spurs could make a better pitch to the kid.
Old 07-28-06, 12:50 PM
Abominable snowballer

if he wants back that bad he will go.

but if not, this is a player i wouldn't hesitate to sign for a minimum contract.

i always praised Khryapa on this forum (and still hope he will find his way to SA), but i also always liked his twin Monja when they both played for CSKA Moscow.

i don't know exactly what went wrong (i guess there was also an injury) and why his rookie season was such a disappointment.
but he's wouldn't be the first player who struggles in his rookie season and flourishes later and/or in the right environment.

mark my words:
Monya has the body, the tools and the skill set to be an interesting player for the Spurs.
Spurs should really try to somehow get him.
Old 07-28-06, 12:55 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slither
Career Averages:

3 ppg , 2 rpg , .7 apg , .27 spg , .1 bpg , 71% FT , 27% 3PT , 33% FG

I don't know about this guy fitting in with the Spurs.
Quote:
While his options are limited, McMillan may put Sergei Monia back in the starting lineup soon to shore up his defense. Juan Dixon could be replaced by Monia, but Dixon should still get ample time off the bench if it happens.
link: http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...rt=NBA&id=1063

He is a first year guy that McMillian used for defense. He could be our athletic SF who plays D. Don't know what he is making though. If he is waived I believe the Kings pay most of his salary? Is that right?

Seems like conviencing him to come to the Spurs would be the issue.
Old 07-28-06, 01:06 PM
Abominable snowballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan in domerland 1
Seems like conviencing him to come to the Spurs would be the issue.
but there might also be an agreement between Monya and the Kings that he must not sign with another NBA team if they waive him and that only allows him to sign with an european team.
Old 07-28-06, 01:19 PM
SpursReport Rookie

What's the tampering guidelines in the NBA are they anything like in the NFL (Go Cowboys)
Old 07-28-06, 01:20 PM
Abominable snowballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR
is that even legal?
i have no clue.
maybe not.
then let's call Monya.

(a girl in my office is from Slovenia and she speaks pretty good Russian. i tell her to call him)
Old 07-28-06, 02:01 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan in domerland 1
He is Russian. If he cam to the Spurs he would not have the trouble of communicating with the coach as he did in Portland and Sac. If you click the link you can read that he has not learned english. Beno and Pop could speak with him.

On a sidenote: Many times when a player is leaving a team (esp. if he soes not speak english) you wont get the whole story. If your NBA career was started by being on the Trailgansters and the Queens with Bonzi and Artest, and you were not one of the boys cuz you did not speak english (which also means you don't play in the games) then I could see wanting to go back to more stable surroundings and maybe more money.

I don't know if the Spurs want him but I could easily see how the Spurs could make a better pitch to the kid.
Its not the Trailgansters its the Jail Blazers! Get it right lol
Dunno, watch the kid when SA was here in Portland for games, he would be a servicable player but definately not a Bowen imo
Old 07-28-06, 04:40 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Worth a shot for min sal.
Old 07-29-06, 07:37 AM
SpursReport Rookie

i think Granger is good
Old 07-31-06, 10:29 AM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Sergei Monya will sign a two-year contract with Russian team Dynamo Moscow.

http://www.elcorreodigital.com/alava...Z-DEP-156.html
Old 07-31-06, 10:46 AM
SpursReport Team Member

If the Knicks get Jefferies them the Woods would probalby be available for the minimum. Supposedly he is a guy the Spurs have been interested in in the past. For minimum money the Spurs could waive him if he didnt work out. But maybe in the right environment he could excel.