News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 07-25-06, 10:58 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Better Domestic Scouting

The Spurs are always drafting European players and when they dont come(Scola) its kind of dissapointing. Im not against their approach but I think that we should draft american talent when its there, and the Spurs have not been doing that lately. My solution is that next year when the Knicks owner finally fires Isiah Thomas we should hire him as a scout

Last edited by regio; 07-25-06 at 11:06 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-25-06, 11:24 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by regio
The Spurs are always drafting European players and when they dont come(Scola) its kind of dissapointing. Im not against their approach but I think that we should draft american talent when its there, and the Spurs have not been doing that lately. My solution is that next year when the Knicks owner finally fires Isiah Thomas we should hire him as a scout
The reason the Spurs haven't been drafting American talent is because if you draft them in the first round they get a guaranteed contract that counts against the cap and moves the team into the luxury tax threshold. As for drafting them in the second round, most teams draft more on potential than present need. As such, there's a pretty good chance that your second rounder doesn't work out, especially if you're picking at the end of the second round like we do. When you get a bunch of lottery picks, it's usually pretty easy to make a sound decision as in the case of the Knicks. But I'm all for hiring Isiah. I'm psyched. /sarcasm
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-25-06, 11:31 AM
SpursReport Rookie

The Spurs usually draft last, and so rarely do they get a player that can help right away. The result is, they go for whoever they think has the most potential, regardless of nationality. Nothing wrong with that approach, except that the foreign players continue to grow and improve their game(s), and the spurs aren't always ready to sign them. In Scola's case, we already have a decent PF, can't think of his name, but Scola isn't really suited to play another position, so what do we do with him? Trade his rights I guess.
Old 07-25-06, 11:41 AM
SpursReport Rookie

didnt we pass on josh howard??