News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 07-24-06, 01:53 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Q & A with Sean Marks

http://www.nba.com/bwb/marks_answered.html

Q & A with Sean Marks

Sean Marks made his first NBA debut in March 99, becoming the first New Zealand native ever to appear in an NBA game. The 7-0 Marks appeared in 25 games for the Spurs during the 2005-06 season after he re-sign the contract with Spurs, averaging 3.2 points and 1.7 rebounds in 7.2 minutes per game. Marks played for the New Zealand Olympic Team in both 2000 and 2004. During the 2004 Olympics appeared in six games averaging 10.8 points and 7.0 rebounds in 26.8 minutes
Marks — who is the first native of New Zealand to play in the NBA — played for his country’s Olympic team in 2000 and 2004. The Auckland, New Zealand native has averaged 11.9 points and 7.2 rebounds in 12 Olympic contests.

Ramiro Suarez, DF, Mexico
Do you think that the Spurs need young talent for the next season?
I think if you look at the Spurs team there are a lot of veterans on that team, there’s not a lot of young blood Even the guys, Tony for instance and Manu, who may not have played a lot of seasons in the NBA, they’ve still got ten or twelve years of professional basketball because they play every off-season and they’ve been playing professional since they were 16 years old. With all the Olympics and World Championships there are a lot of miles on a lot of those legs. I don’t think it would hurt if we got a little younger, but it’s a matter of finding the right talent.

Luisa Garcia, Rep Dominicana
What do you think about the Latin movement in the NBA the last couple of years?
I think it’s great, the NBA as a whole has become such a global game. You’ve got so many Europeans, about 80-90 international players in the league, and the game is changing. You see foreign guys that are coming in that are shooters and are more fundamentally sound because they’ve been playing professionally for so much longer than guys right out of college. And you look at the Latin movement with guys like Manu and Fabrizio, and guys from Brazil who are coming in- it’s great to see them, their energy and style of play too.

Andrew D, Wellington
I was just wondering whether you have any thoughts about returning to international basketball for New Zealand? Has playing for our country’s national team helped you with your overall game in the NBA?
As of now I have no plans returning to international play, its just a time in my life where I need to focus. My off-seasons have been for working on my game obviously, but mostly to see the family. I’ve got two kids at home now and I can’t leave my wife Jennifer home for the three or four months it would require for me to give up for international games. My years with the “Tall-blacks” have been great, I’ve done two Olympics, one World Championships To be able to have that all under my belt is fantastic and I don’t take that for granted. Those games and those experiences of international games at the highest level, because you’re playing with the best players from all around the world, it has definitely helped my game.

Ahmed Brossard, Canada
I was wondering, knowing your from New Zealand, did you ever play any other sport more than basketball?
Not necessarily more than basketball, but when I was growing up I did soccer, I did a lot of swimming, a lot of track and field, volleyball, but basketball is the main one.

Ryan, Gold Coast
G’day Sean, Congrats on your NBA success. Great to see another player from our part of the world doing well. Just wondering if you caught the game between the Aussies and the Kiwis last week? What were your thoughts on the game? We are getting quite the rivalry going with the Comm Games and all or games being so close. Why didn’t you play in the series?
The games have been great. There has always been such a great rivalry between Australia and New Zealand. Those games are definitely huge games starting from the “hucker” before the games, it gets pretty heated. It’s a great rivalry we’ve got going on. For so many years Australia was just leaps and bounds ahead of us in the games, but in the last few years it has become even par. It’s really a toss up- it’s great for both countries. We are able to push Australia and they are able to push us, and we both go out there on the world scene and play in the Olympics and World Championships and it’s great competition for us both.

Sam Barkley, Nelson
What do you miss the most about New Zealand and why?
Family. The toughest thing is being away from Mom and Dad, especially on days like holidays and birthdays and not being able to celebrate on Christmas. But they get to come out here once a year and I get to go back there once a year too. I would just say the family, grandparents, and the occasional fish and chips.

Vickie, San Antonio
Hello Mr. Marks, how’s your summer been? Do you have a best friend on the Spurs? How do you come off the bench and make such cool dunks?
One of the unique things about the Spurs is that our whole team is so close. It’s a credit to Pop who’s got a group of guys together who act as a cohesive unit both on and off the court. We all go out to dinner together and hang-out on off days too. I don’t have one best friend but the whole team in general, we hang out and we enjoy each others company.
Old 07-24-06, 02:07 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs Brazil
Vickie, San Antonio
Hello Mr. Marks, how’s your summer been? Do you have a best friend on the Spurs? How do you come off the bench and make such cool dunks?
One of the unique things about the Spurs is that our whole team is so close. It’s a credit to Pop who’s got a group of guys together who act as a cohesive unit both on and off the court. We all go out to dinner together and hang-out on off days too. I don’t have one best friend but the whole team in general, we hang out and we enjoy each others company.
Nice duck of the question. I see a future in politics for Mr. Marks.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!