News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 07-22-06, 12:26 PM
SpursReport Rookie

salmons is unrestricted free agent

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archiv..._toronto_deal/

TSN.ca - John Salmons has decided against joining the Toronto Raptors .

According to the Toronto Star, Salmons has backed out of a 5-year, $23 million sign and trade deal that would sent Salmons to the Raptors for a second round draft pick in 2007.

"Upon reviewing the basketball situation in Toronto, John decided it's not the best fit for him," said a statement released Friday from Salmons' agent, Joel Bell.

"In a very stressful and tough decision, he decided he could not accept the opportunity to play for the Raptors, even though he was excited about the prospect of being in Toronto."

Salmons previously had to make a decision as to whether he wanted to join the Raptors or the Phoenix Suns , but the Suns offer is now off the table after the team signed guard Marcus Banks to a deal similar to that rejected by Salmons.

"I'm sorry it didn't work out, I wish him the best," Toronto president and general manager Bryan Colangelo said last night.

Philadelphia have also rescinded their qualifying offer to Salmons, making the guard an unrestricted free agent.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-22-06, 01:57 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Lol, what a moron. He just backed out of the most money he coulda made in his life, where to now? And please people, don't be going "hey, maybe Spurs can pick him up".

NO!
Old 07-22-06, 02:06 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

It is a pretty boneheaded move on his part, but someone will give him a deal. He probably cost himself a couple mil, but it's not like he's going to end up like Spreewell.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-22-06, 02:26 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

You got to wonder why there's a change of heart.
Old 07-22-06, 02:44 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunkinDan89
Lol, what a moron. He just backed out of the most money he coulda made in his life, where to now? And please people, don't be going "hey, maybe Spurs can pick him up".

NO!
totally, but just wait, the bring salmons to the spurs posts are gonna be coming from wiseacres
Old 07-22-06, 02:53 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmiltsx
totally, but just wait, the bring salmons to the spurs posts are gonna be coming from wiseacres
Now that was unkind, but I ain't offended that easy. Can't really say I'd like the Spurs to get a guy that doesn't stand by his word. I was thinking the guy is young, quick, might make a decent swingman for the Spurs down the road. Maybe I overestimated him. But character means a lot, so I'd pass on him.
Old 07-22-06, 02:59 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I doubt he'll turn that money down for no reason there must bbe something going on that they arent saying.
Old 07-22-06, 03:06 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thabanga510
I doubt he'll turn that money down for no reason there must bbe something going on that they arent saying.
Maybe so. In my book, if you make a deal you stand by your word, unless they changed the terms. Maybe there were some smaller issues that were not clearly defined or something. Whatever, I'm glad he ain't going the to Suns.
Old 07-22-06, 03:13 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

when a player holds out for more money we call him a bum.

when a player turns down more money so for playing time we call him a moron.

this poor guy cant win.

i wish he WAS a spur.
Old 07-22-06, 04:32 PM
SpursReport Rookie

The news artlicle said he didn't think it was a good fit. Don't know why he would think that, or why he didn't take the Phoenix offer, which probably would have been better for him in the long run. Maybe he thinks somebody else will offer more, it usually comes down to money doesn't it?
Old 07-22-06, 05:38 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Probably was intimidated by Rasho.
Old 07-22-06, 05:45 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Salmons related to SJAX?
Old 07-22-06, 06:31 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Or maybe he realized how much they'd still suck. Perhaps he thought they were going to make better moves that would make them a legit contender and didn't feel like enough was done to make that happen. Or maybe he just changed his mind and doesn't want to live in Toronto, most people (especially black people (not being racist or anything cause I'm black)) don't get too excited about living in Toronto.