News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-06, 04:56 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Spurs Summer league team sucks

I had a chance to watch the Jazz play San Antonio tonight in the Rocky Mountain review.

I have to say outside of Saunders there isn't a guy on this team worth a damn.

Even Ian, or should I say especially Ian.

Sorry to break the news but he is a minimum of 2 years away from being ready for the NBA.

1. He is not a very good rebounder
2. He looks like Manute Bol out there.
3. He has no offense to speak of.

I know this is one game but the Jazz roster has about 4 or 5 NBA guys and they really made Ian disappear.

He did two things in that game of note. He hit all his free throws and he had one very nice block.

Saunders on the other hand was the best player on the court. The only other guy I would probably even consider inviting to camp is Lee (sorry don't remember his first name) he reminds me of Stephen Jackson in both his physical build and game.

BTW for you Texas fans CJ Miles had a great game including a nasty dunk
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-22-06, 06:33 AM
SpursReport Team Member

definitely never a good thing to see talk like this about Ian.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-22-06, 10:02 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Here's a newsflash:

To say Ian will be ready in two years is probably a stretch. He's a project at best. They brought him over this summer to see how he would do against NBA talent. In my opinion -- he has sucked. He has a very long way to go.

Just because RC and Pop have found jewels in the draft before -- doesn't mean it's going to happen everytime.
Old 07-22-06, 10:05 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

did you watch a game yet?

the games will be tv soon

spurs are very high on ian and according to amente are treating him alot differnet then scola

ian is a jewell

some players really suck in summer league and make it in the nba and others play well in summer league and do not make it
ian is sound the only think he needs to do is gain 20 pounds.
he would stop fouling and be able to stay in the postion he needs to
Old 07-22-06, 10:22 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

I had the opportunity to watch most of the Spurs summer league games in the summer of 2002 in Boston. Stephen Jackson was the project then. Man, did he look bad. He had no confidence, he made turnovers like crazy, he couldn't hit a shot. But, every so often, you'd see him make some amazing quick move and elevate, or just blow by someone and drive. He didn't often finish but you could see the potential. Raw talent, but no sense of how to use it.

Mike Brown was one of the coaches then, and he was basically Jackson's one-on-one personal coach. Every timeout, Mike would take Jax aside and personally coach him, while the rest of the team talked to the other coaches.

The Spurs made Jackson what he is today by recognizing raw potential and working on it for an extended period. I think they know how to recognize potential that's raw and teach the rest of the NBA game. I think they can succeed with Mahimini (or however he spells his name). Ian!.
Old 07-22-06, 10:27 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoMamaIsCallin
I had the opportunity to watch most of the Spurs summer league games in the summer of 2002 in Boston. Stephen Jackson was the project then. Man, did he look bad. He had no confidence, he made turnovers like crazy, he couldn't hit a shot. But, every so often, you'd see him make some amazing quick move and elevate, or just blow by someone and drive. He didn't often finish but you could see the potential. Raw talent, but no sense of how to use it.

Mike Brown was one of the coaches then, and he was basically Jackson's one-on-one personal coach. Every timeout, Mike would take Jax aside and personally coach him, while the rest of the team talked to the other coaches.

The Spurs made Jackson what he is today by recognizing raw potential and working on it for an extended period. I think they know how to recognize potential that's raw and teach the rest of the NBA game. I think they can succeed with Mahimini (or however he spells his name). Ian!.
well, for our sake i hope your right
Old 07-22-06, 10:35 AM
SpursReport Rookie

This is Summer League right? Isn't Summer League kinda like Saturday Night Live in that the performers are not ready for prime time? I think that it is not worth getting worked up over the way a player performs in a summer league game because they are there to learn and improve. It is ludicrous to judge their performance against any other measure then how the player improved over that time, not if he is ready for the NBA or not. If these players were ready for full time NBA play, they would most likely not be in the summer leage at all.
Old 07-22-06, 11:06 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Had there been someone on the summer league team whom the Spurs hopes for this coming season depended on I would be worried about our summer league team sucking, but there isn't so I'm not.
Old 07-22-06, 11:22 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster Cogburn
This is Summer League right? Isn't Summer League kinda like Saturday Night Live in that the performers are not ready for prime time? I think that it is not worth getting worked up over the way a player performs in a summer league game because they are there to learn and improve. It is ludicrous to judge their performance against any other measure then how the player improved over that time, not if he is ready for the NBA or not. If these players were ready for full time NBA play, they would most likely not be in the summer leage at all.
I think that's a very bad comparison.
Old 07-22-06, 12:08 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R
I think that's a very bad comparison.
I am glad you have an opinion. Care to elucidate why you think it is a bad comparison?
Old 07-22-06, 12:23 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Gosh, people get up and arms about how a player plays in Summer League, especially in Ian's case.

What did you expect from him in his first taste against NBA competition, albeit against summer league players and not the regular NBA players.

Its a transition Sherlock and its going to take him time.
Old 07-22-06, 12:25 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Didn't Tim Duncan suck in the summer league? Of course Pop told him to practice on his left hand and I think Tim did everything with his left. Anyone remember that? I was anxious about Ian because our center situation was very very cloudy. But now with both Elson and Howard signed up, I'm not as antsy and am probably willing to wait till camp opens to see how they will fit in. If neither of these guys turn out good, then I'll be more concerned about Ian. Right now, I guess it's best to let him work on his game. The other concern about finding a wing player to spell Bowen is not a real concern with me, since I think that our current lineup can do the job, as long as everyone remains healthy.
Old 07-22-06, 01:10 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR
Talk that he's at least 2 years away from the NBA? Thats what some people here've been trying to get across to certain posters for months.
i just said its not a good thing?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ro_50
Gosh, people get up and arms about how a player plays in Summer League, especially in Ian's case.

What did you expect from him in his first taste against NBA competition, albeit against summer league players and not the regular NBA players.

Its a transition Sherlock and its going to take him time.
no one really got worked up.
Old 07-22-06, 01:24 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

So wait?

If the Spurs' Summer League team runs roughshod over the competition, does that mean the main team gets a gift basket or something? Or they get an automatic playoff berth, right? No? A 15-win bonus to start the new season?
Old 07-22-06, 02:09 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Let's look at the summer league for what it is supposed to be...a chance to evaluate talent. I am sure they are figuring how much Ian needs, from where, and from whom. As far as who to invite to camp...there is only one spot left and that is if they choose to fill it. I am not worried in the least.
Old 07-22-06, 03:14 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurssheriff
Here's a newsflash:

To say Ian will be ready in two years is probably a stretch. He's a project at best. They brought him over this summer to see how he would do against NBA talent. In my opinion -- he has sucked. He has a very long way to go.

Just because RC and Pop have found jewels in the draft before -- doesn't mean it's going to happen everytime.
Well from what Amente has said the Spurs really like the kid. There is nothing wrong with him being a project. What is he? 19?

let him play full time in Europe for another year or two then decide. Its not like its time to write the guy off already.

no one should have expected him to step in this summer and show that much. He's raw and its his first time playing with NBA caliber players.

It would be pointless to write off the guys future based on some first time summer league play.

Hell at one time Manu wasnt even that much when SA first drafted him from what I remember.
Old 07-22-06, 03:19 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster Cogburn
I am glad you have an opinion. Care to elucidate why you think it is a bad comparison?
probably because it was stupid and pointless.
Old 07-22-06, 03:23 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzG
Well from what Amente has said the Spurs really like the kid. There is nothing wrong with him being a project. What is he? 19?

let him play full time in Europe for another year or two then decide. Its not like its time to write the guy off already.

no one should have expected him to step in this summer and show that much. He's raw and its his first time playing with NBA caliber players.

It would be pointless to write off the guys future based on some first time summer league play.

Hell at one time Manu wasnt even that much when SA first drafted him from what I remember.
these points are what make tony parker that much more special. a true phenom.
Old 07-22-06, 03:38 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:

Come on Dizz, if this kid can't play with NBA guys at 19, he MUST be a bust.

And can we please at least wait 3 or 4 years before deciding Ian sucks? Maybe put a moratorium on his suckiness until then?
Old 07-22-06, 04:01 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleo
Come on Dizz, if this kid can't play with NBA guys at 19, he MUST be a bust.

And can we please at least wait 3 or 4 years before deciding Ian sucks? Maybe put a moratorium on his suckiness until then?
are you kidding me? bit everyone at the age of 19 is gonna be great. the only one that i can think of is lebron. what about kobe, tmac, kg, jermaine oneal, etc. all came in young and took YEARS to to their peak.
Old 07-22-06, 06:50 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
....That was pretty obvious sarcasm by Ky.
that's good to know, i was about to say...
Old 07-22-06, 08:04 PM
SpursReport Team Member

xmiltsx, you stole my avatar. JamesR, you haven't commented on my caption, yet.
Old 07-23-06, 12:14 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Corleone
I had a chance to watch the Jazz play San Antonio tonight in the Rocky Mountain review.

I have to say outside of Saunders there isn't a guy on this team worth a damn.

Even Ian, or should I say especially Ian.

Sorry to break the news but he is a minimum of 2 years away from being ready for the NBA.

1. He is not a very good rebounder
2. He looks like Manute Bol out there.
3. He has no offense to speak of.

I know this is one game but the Jazz roster has about 4 or 5 NBA guys and they really made Ian disappear.

He did two things in that game of note. He hit all his free throws and he had one very nice block.

Saunders on the other hand was the best player on the court. The only other guy I would probably even consider inviting to camp is Lee (sorry don't remember his first name) he reminds me of Stephen Jackson in both his physical build and game.

BTW for you Texas fans CJ Miles had a great game including a nasty dunk
You think Saunders is worth a damn? I think I'll take your opinions with a bit of skepticism...
Old 07-23-06, 12:56 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:

True -- but when the Spurs drafted Manu -- he at least had a good offensive game. Ian has neither. The Spurs aren't going to publically come out and trash the guy -- If a guy doesn't have an offensive game by this stage -- it's very unlikely that he will ever develop one.
Old 07-23-06, 01:18 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
The Spurs aren't going to publically come out and trash the guy .
I didnt say they would but from what Amente said a few weeks back the opinion he was hearing behind the scenes the Spurs had on Ian was they really liked the kid. That has nothing to do with what has been said in the papers which isnt much.

its just silly to write the guy off at this point because he didnt light up his first trip to the summer league. it was mentioned back in may from Amente that the impression he got was the Spurs didnt think he was ready to bring over now but has shown improvment in different areas in Europe where he had signs he could really be something.

1-2 seasons from now if he is the same then thats one thing but at least see how the guy develops in Europe

the only point about Manu was when the Spurs drafted him he wasnt even close to the caliber of player he was years later when SA brought him over. He wasnt horrible but he needed work. He developed into a superstar in Europe

Im not saying Ian will do that but people can develop. Not every european player is as good as Tony Parker at 19. Ian was a KNOWN project when they drafted him and I dont think even the Spurs expect him to be ready right now. they brought him into the summer league to expose him to the competition
Old 07-23-06, 01:28 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
If a guy doesn't have an offensive game by this stage -- it's very unlikely that he will ever develop one.
I disagree...Hakeem looked like he had 2 left feet his first couple of years at U of H...He only scored because he hit the offensive glass his freshman and sophomore years. Don't give up on his offensive game yet, especially considering how new he is to the game, much like Hakeem.
Old 07-23-06, 02:06 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

I can't beliave people are saying Ian is a bust because of Summer League games.
Old 07-24-06, 01:10 AM
SpursReport Rookie

give ian a chance

my goodness we're q;uick on the draw
Old 07-24-06, 05:59 AM
Abominable snowballer

expecations about Ian diverge a lot.

people should be a bit more realistic.
IMO he is at least two years from being NBA ready.
at 19 this isn't something to worry about. Ian is on track, if he was a NCAA player, he would be a sophomore next season.

Ian isn't the next Amare Stoudemire. (somebody once mentioned this)
he also isn't the next Emeka Okafor (he was compared to him by scouting reports).
his talents are on the defensive end, his offense will be average at best.
this doesn't mean, that he won't become a great and usefull player.
IMO the best case scenario is that he becomes a player like Camby (which isn't a bad thing at all).
Old 07-24-06, 08:02 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleo
But, but...thats not the SR way
Old 07-24-06, 10:00 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pad300
You think Saunders is worth a damn? I think I'll take your opinions with a bit of skepticism...
I watched one game that was the one against Utah. They had 4 or 5 guys on that roster that will make their team. And Saunders was the best player on the court.

I have no idea if he will make the Spurs roster or not I just know he was good that night.

Quote:
True -- but when the Spurs drafted Manu -- he at least had a good offensive game. Ian has neither. The Spurs aren't going to publically come out and trash the guy -- If a guy doesn't have an offensive game by this stage -- it's very unlikely that he will ever develop one.
Lots of guys develop their offense later in their careers. Jermaine Oneal didn't have much of an offensive game when he got to the NBA look at him now. Just saying there are exceptions. We had tow in Avery Johnson and Bruce Bowen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurtime
I disagree...Hakeem looked like he had 2 left feet his first couple of years at U of H...He only scored because he hit the offensive glass his freshman and sophomore years. Don't give up on his offensive game yet, especially considering how new he is to the game, much like Hakeem.
Selective memory, Akeem lead UofH to the championship game against NCSU his Sophmore year. He had a offensive game.
Old 07-24-06, 03:00 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Location: The capital of Texas...that's right...Sunset Valley

Damn, and I was pumped to have the summer league championship celebration on the Riverwalk.

"Married men live longer. Yes. And an indoor cat also lives longer. It's a furball with a broken spirit, that can only look out on a world it can never enjoy. But it does technically live longer." - Bill Maher
Old 07-24-06, 03:54 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

They (NBA TV) are about to show the Spurs/Mavs summer game at 4 pm central today. Don't worry if you miss it because they will show it again at midnight central time.
Old 07-24-06, 06:15 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Melzer and Saunders looked really good in this game. Ian just needs more experience and a few more pounds. He gets pushed around a lot. Of course it took me almost half the game to figure out who everyone was, so I'll have to see it again at midnight.
Old 07-24-06, 10:26 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousspirit
Melzer and Saunders looked really good in this game. Ian just needs more experience and a few more pounds. He gets pushed around a lot. Of course it took me almost half the game to figure out who everyone was, so I'll have to see it again at midnight.
He did have a tough time. To his credit, he had to guard some big dudes (Podkolzin and Mbenga) with crazy names.
Old 07-24-06, 10:31 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Utah Summer league team have a couple of enforcers on it. One guy has already been ejected. The crowd is crazy since these games are in Utah and Utah is just trashing Atlanta.

Replay of Spurs vs dallas at midnight central time.
Old 07-24-06, 10:36 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

bowen has improved alot on o since the spurs got him
ian is fine he just needs 20 more pounds
Old 07-25-06, 09:57 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I just wanna know how you all actually can watch these games. I'm a HUUUUUGE spurs fan but i tried watching that mavs spurs summer league game and i turned it off within 5 minutes cause I was bored outa my mind.
Lest we forget, in the biggest NBA game of the last decade, the Spurs handled the Pistons in the type of game that Detroit is supposedly built for. In deciding games between San Antonio and Detroit, the Spurs are 1-0, and the Pistons are 0-1.
Old 07-25-06, 08:16 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurs7794
I just wanna know how you all actually can watch these games. I'm a HUUUUUGE spurs fan but i tried watching that mavs spurs summer league game and i turned it off within 5 minutes cause I was bored outa my mind.
Believe me it was tough. It may have been too tough because I looked at the box score for the Jazz Spurs game and it turns out Ian ended up with 10 pts and 8 rebounds. Not a bad statistical night, but believe me when I say that it was the quietest 10/8 I have ever seen. I really don't remember him getting a rebound or making a shot outside of his free throws.

One of the things that definitely threw me off was the both Ian and the PF were both about the same height and build that I kept getting them mixed up. They really should do something to make the numbers on their uniforms stand out.
Old 07-25-06, 08:32 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Ian #15
Melzer #10
Watson #2
Dean #3
Sanders #4
Brown #14 ???
Old 07-25-06, 08:40 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Spurs Summer league team sucks

Ditto to what JamesR said re: Melzer, I was also impressed w/ his quick hands and anticipation. Has a nice stroke, but shot is a little flat. I am sure they will work on that. He has good length and seems like a good rebounding "3", reminds me a lot of Shane Battier.
Old 07-26-06, 03:46 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

FYI

NBA TV will show the Spurs/Hawks game (Spurs lose) at 4 pm central today and rerun it at midnight.
Old 07-26-06, 04:25 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

I think People expect our foreign picks to be so good because Tony and Manu are so good and have been since they arrived, Manu more so.
Old 07-26-06, 04:29 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

The statement isn't just directed at him though. People overestimate all our foreign picks here.
Old 07-26-06, 04:31 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Wasn't Manu about the same age as Jav and Scola when he made it to the NBA bench?

Who is the player with #17?
Old 07-26-06, 04:34 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

That was 3 years ago, Manu was... 24? That still doesn't mean either one of them is as good as he is.
Old 07-26-06, 04:36 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R
That was 3 years ago, Manu was... 24? That still doesn't mean either one of them is as good as he is.
That was my point.

BTW, shouldn't someone change the thread title by taking away the last two words? I only mention this because we are discussing the summer league games more than the Spurs sucking.
Old 07-26-06, 04:42 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
That was 3 years ago, Manu was... 24?
he was 25
Old 07-26-06, 05:10 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Ian with 14/7 in 13 minutes in the first half.

OMG HE SUX!!!!!
The kid looks good for being a raw player.

These refs are worse than the Spurs/dallas series.
Old 07-26-06, 10:19 PM
SpursReport Rookie

This is what chad ford wrote about spurs.

Spurs: The Spurs are famous for either trading their first-round pick or selecting some obscure international player. Two of the said mystery men showed up in Utah at the Rocky Mountain Revue and there wasn't much to like. Ian Mahinimi looks like he has the raw tools but looks to be years away. By the way Sergei Karaulov played, according to scouts, he might never play in the league.

chad ford