News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-22-06, 04:56 AM
Vito Corleone's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Brooklyn NY
Posts: 3,193
Spurs Summer league team sucks

I had a chance to watch the Jazz play San Antonio tonight in the Rocky Mountain review.

I have to say outside of Saunders there isn't a guy on this team worth a damn.

Even Ian, or should I say especially Ian.

Sorry to break the news but he is a minimum of 2 years away from being ready for the NBA.

1. He is not a very good rebounder
2. He looks like Manute Bol out there.
3. He has no offense to speak of.

I know this is one game but the Jazz roster has about 4 or 5 NBA guys and they really made Ian disappear.

He did two things in that game of note. He hit all his free throws and he had one very nice block.

Saunders on the other hand was the best player on the court. The only other guy I would probably even consider inviting to camp is Lee (sorry don't remember his first name) he reminds me of Stephen Jackson in both his physical build and game.

BTW for you Texas fans CJ Miles had a great game including a nasty dunk
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-22-06, 06:33 AM
GM5K's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 678

definitely never a good thing to see talk like this about Ian.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-22-06, 10:02 AM
spurssheriff's Avatar
SpursReport Team Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 5,911

Here's a newsflash:

To say Ian will be ready in two years is probably a stretch. He's a project at best. They brought him over this summer to see how he would do against NBA talent. In my opinion -- he has sucked. He has a very long way to go.

Just because RC and Pop have found jewels in the draft before -- doesn't mean it's going to happen everytime.
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-22-06, 10:05 AM
Bucks's Avatar
SpursReport Team Captain
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Yuma, Az USA
Posts: 9,762

did you watch a game yet?

the games will be tv soon


spurs are very high on ian and according to amente are treating him alot differnet then scola

ian is a jewell

some players really suck in summer league and make it in the nba and others play well in summer league and do not make it
ian is sound the only think he needs to do is gain 20 pounds.
he would stop fouling and be able to stay in the postion he needs to
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-22-06, 10:22 AM
YoMamaIsCallin's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Austin
Posts: 2,716

I had the opportunity to watch most of the Spurs summer league games in the summer of 2002 in Boston. Stephen Jackson was the project then. Man, did he look bad. He had no confidence, he made turnovers like crazy, he couldn't hit a shot. But, every so often, you'd see him make some amazing quick move and elevate, or just blow by someone and drive. He didn't often finish but you could see the potential. Raw talent, but no sense of how to use it.

Mike Brown was one of the coaches then, and he was basically Jackson's one-on-one personal coach. Every timeout, Mike would take Jax aside and personally coach him, while the rest of the team talked to the other coaches.

The Spurs made Jackson what he is today by recognizing raw potential and working on it for an extended period. I think they know how to recognize potential that's raw and teach the rest of the NBA game. I think they can succeed with Mahimini (or however he spells his name). Ian!.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-22-06, 10:27 AM
fakemxcan's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: AUWWWSTIN TEXAS BABY!!
Posts: 899

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoMamaIsCallin
I had the opportunity to watch most of the Spurs summer league games in the summer of 2002 in Boston. Stephen Jackson was the project then. Man, did he look bad. He had no confidence, he made turnovers like crazy, he couldn't hit a shot. But, every so often, you'd see him make some amazing quick move and elevate, or just blow by someone and drive. He didn't often finish but you could see the potential. Raw talent, but no sense of how to use it.

Mike Brown was one of the coaches then, and he was basically Jackson's one-on-one personal coach. Every timeout, Mike would take Jax aside and personally coach him, while the rest of the team talked to the other coaches.

The Spurs made Jackson what he is today by recognizing raw potential and working on it for an extended period. I think they know how to recognize potential that's raw and teach the rest of the NBA game. I think they can succeed with Mahimini (or however he spells his name). Ian!.
well, for our sake i hope your right
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-22-06, 10:35 AM
Rooster Cogburn's Avatar
SpursReport Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 132

This is Summer League right? Isn't Summer League kinda like Saturday Night Live in that the performers are not ready for prime time? I think that it is not worth getting worked up over the way a player performs in a summer league game because they are there to learn and improve. It is ludicrous to judge their performance against any other measure then how the player improved over that time, not if he is ready for the NBA or not. If these players were ready for full time NBA play, they would most likely not be in the summer leage at all.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-22-06, 11:06 AM
coyotes_geek's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,169

Had there been someone on the summer league team whom the Spurs hopes for this coming season depended on I would be worried about our summer league team sucking, but there isn't so I'm not.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-22-06, 11:22 AM
Jason R's Avatar
SpursReport Team Captain
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 6,768

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster Cogburn
This is Summer League right? Isn't Summer League kinda like Saturday Night Live in that the performers are not ready for prime time? I think that it is not worth getting worked up over the way a player performs in a summer league game because they are there to learn and improve. It is ludicrous to judge their performance against any other measure then how the player improved over that time, not if he is ready for the NBA or not. If these players were ready for full time NBA play, they would most likely not be in the summer leage at all.
I think that's a very bad comparison.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-22-06, 12:08 PM
Rooster Cogburn's Avatar
SpursReport Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R
I think that's a very bad comparison.
I am glad you have an opinion. Care to elucidate why you think it is a bad comparison?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-22-06, 12:23 PM
ro_50's Avatar
SpursReport Team Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Somewhere in Jersey
Posts: 5,729

Gosh, people get up and arms about how a player plays in Summer League, especially in Ian's case.

What did you expect from him in his first taste against NBA competition, albeit against summer league players and not the regular NBA players.

Its a transition Sherlock and its going to take him time.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-22-06, 12:25 PM
pjjrfan's Avatar
SpursReport Assistant Coach
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Posts: 9,999

Didn't Tim Duncan suck in the summer league? Of course Pop told him to practice on his left hand and I think Tim did everything with his left. Anyone remember that? I was anxious about Ian because our center situation was very very cloudy. But now with both Elson and Howard signed up, I'm not as antsy and am probably willing to wait till camp opens to see how they will fit in. If neither of these guys turn out good, then I'll be more concerned about Ian. Right now, I guess it's best to let him work on his game. The other concern about finding a wing player to spell Bowen is not a real concern with me, since I think that our current lineup can do the job, as long as everyone remains healthy.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-22-06, 01:10 PM
GM5K's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 678

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR
Talk that he's at least 2 years away from the NBA? Thats what some people here've been trying to get across to certain posters for months.
i just said its not a good thing?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ro_50
Gosh, people get up and arms about how a player plays in Summer League, especially in Ian's case.

What did you expect from him in his first taste against NBA competition, albeit against summer league players and not the regular NBA players.

Its a transition Sherlock and its going to take him time.
no one really got worked up.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-22-06, 01:24 PM
bossu's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,068

So wait?

If the Spurs' Summer League team runs roughshod over the competition, does that mean the main team gets a gift basket or something? Or they get an automatic playoff berth, right? No? A 15-win bonus to start the new season?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-22-06, 02:09 PM
LifelongSpursFan's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX USA
Posts: 957

Let's look at the summer league for what it is supposed to be...a chance to evaluate talent. I am sure they are figuring how much Ian needs, from where, and from whom. As far as who to invite to camp...there is only one spot left and that is if they choose to fill it. I am not worried in the least.
__________________
Go Spurs Go!!!!!!!!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-22-06, 03:14 PM
DizzG's Avatar
SpursReport Team Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 8,595

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurssheriff
Here's a newsflash:

To say Ian will be ready in two years is probably a stretch. He's a project at best. They brought him over this summer to see how he would do against NBA talent. In my opinion -- he has sucked. He has a very long way to go.

Just because RC and Pop have found jewels in the draft before -- doesn't mean it's going to happen everytime.
Well from what Amente has said the Spurs really like the kid. There is nothing wrong with him being a project. What is he? 19?

let him play full time in Europe for another year or two then decide. Its not like its time to write the guy off already.

no one should have expected him to step in this summer and show that much. He's raw and its his first time playing with NBA caliber players.

It would be pointless to write off the guys future based on some first time summer league play.

Hell at one time Manu wasnt even that much when SA first drafted him from what I remember.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-22-06, 03:19 PM
xmiltsx's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 544

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster Cogburn
I am glad you have an opinion. Care to elucidate why you think it is a bad comparison?
probably because it was stupid and pointless.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-22-06, 03:23 PM
BehaviorDisorder's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 2,443

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzG
Well from what Amente has said the Spurs really like the kid. There is nothing wrong with him being a project. What is he? 19?

let him play full time in Europe for another year or two then decide. Its not like its time to write the guy off already.

no one should have expected him to step in this summer and show that much. He's raw and its his first time playing with NBA caliber players.

It would be pointless to write off the guys future based on some first time summer league play.

Hell at one time Manu wasnt even that much when SA first drafted him from what I remember.
these points are what make tony parker that much more special. a true phenom.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-22-06, 03:38 PM
kyleo's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Austin
Posts: 1,390

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzG
Well from what Amente has said the Spurs really like the kid. There is nothing wrong with him being a project. What is he? 19?

let him play full time in Europe for another year or two then decide. Its not like its time to write the guy off already.

no one should have expected him to step in this summer and show that much. He's raw and its his first time playing with NBA caliber players.

It would be pointless to write off the guys future based on some first time summer league play.

Hell at one time Manu wasnt even that much when SA first drafted him from what I remember.
Come on Dizz, if this kid can't play with NBA guys at 19, he MUST be a bust.

And can we please at least wait 3 or 4 years before deciding Ian sucks? Maybe put a moratorium on his suckiness until then?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-22-06, 04:01 PM
xmiltsx's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 544

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleo
Come on Dizz, if this kid can't play with NBA guys at 19, he MUST be a bust.

And can we please at least wait 3 or 4 years before deciding Ian sucks? Maybe put a moratorium on his suckiness until then?
are you kidding me? bit everyone at the age of 19 is gonna be great. the only one that i can think of is lebron. what about kobe, tmac, kg, jermaine oneal, etc. all came in young and took YEARS to to their peak.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-22-06, 06:50 PM
xmiltsx's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 544

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR
....That was pretty obvious sarcasm by Ky.
that's good to know, i was about to say...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-22-06, 08:04 PM
CrackWhore's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Boo-yah!!!
Posts: 797

xmiltsx, you stole my avatar. JamesR, you haven't commented on my caption, yet.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-23-06, 12:14 PM
pad300's Avatar
SpursReport Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Corleone
I had a chance to watch the Jazz play San Antonio tonight in the Rocky Mountain review.

I have to say outside of Saunders there isn't a guy on this team worth a damn.

Even Ian, or should I say especially Ian.

Sorry to break the news but he is a minimum of 2 years away from being ready for the NBA.

1. He is not a very good rebounder
2. He looks like Manute Bol out there.
3. He has no offense to speak of.

I know this is one game but the Jazz roster has about 4 or 5 NBA guys and they really made Ian disappear.

He did two things in that game of note. He hit all his free throws and he had one very nice block.

Saunders on the other hand was the best player on the court. The only other guy I would probably even consider inviting to camp is Lee (sorry don't remember his first name) he reminds me of Stephen Jackson in both his physical build and game.

BTW for you Texas fans CJ Miles had a great game including a nasty dunk
You think Saunders is worth a damn? I think I'll take your opinions with a bit of skepticism...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-23-06, 12:56 PM
spurssheriff's Avatar
SpursReport Team Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 5,911

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzG
Well from what Amente has said the Spurs really like the kid. There is nothing wrong with him being a project. What is he? 19?

let him play full time in Europe for another year or two then decide. Its not like its time to write the guy off already.

no one should have expected him to step in this summer and show that much. He's raw and its his first time playing with NBA caliber players.

It would be pointless to write off the guys future based on some first time summer league play.

Hell at one time Manu wasnt even that much when SA first drafted him from what I remember.
True -- but when the Spurs drafted Manu -- he at least had a good offensive game. Ian has neither. The Spurs aren't going to publically come out and trash the guy -- If a guy doesn't have an offensive game by this stage -- it's very unlikely that he will ever develop one.
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-23-06, 01:18 PM
DizzG's Avatar
SpursReport Team Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 8,595

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurssheriff
The Spurs aren't going to publically come out and trash the guy .
I didnt say they would but from what Amente said a few weeks back the opinion he was hearing behind the scenes the Spurs had on Ian was they really liked the kid. That has nothing to do with what has been said in the papers which isnt much.

its just silly to write the guy off at this point because he didnt light up his first trip to the summer league. it was mentioned back in may from Amente that the impression he got was the Spurs didnt think he was ready to bring over now but has shown improvment in different areas in Europe where he had signs he could really be something.

1-2 seasons from now if he is the same then thats one thing but at least see how the guy develops in Europe

the only point about Manu was when the Spurs drafted him he wasnt even close to the caliber of player he was years later when SA brought him over. He wasnt horrible but he needed work. He developed into a superstar in Europe

Im not saying Ian will do that but people can develop. Not every european player is as good as Tony Parker at 19. Ian was a KNOWN project when they drafted him and I dont think even the Spurs expect him to be ready right now. they brought him into the summer league to expose him to the competition
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-23-06, 01:28 PM
spurtime's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Back in SA
Posts: 696

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurssheriff
If a guy doesn't have an offensive game by this stage -- it's very unlikely that he will ever develop one.
I disagree...Hakeem looked like he had 2 left feet his first couple of years at U of H...He only scored because he hit the offensive glass his freshman and sophomore years. Don't give up on his offensive game yet, especially considering how new he is to the game, much like Hakeem.
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-23-06, 02:06 PM
Spurs Brazil's Avatar
SpursReport Team Captain
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
Posts: 8,699

I can't beliave people are saying Ian is a bust because of Summer League games.
__________________
"We would have two less championships here if it wasn't for Manu Ginobili," Popovich said. "In my book, Manu Ginobili is the stud of the world.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-24-06, 01:10 AM
DeppS.Texas's Avatar
SpursReport Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 104
give ian a chance

my goodness we're q;uick on the draw
__________________
Go Bucks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-24-06, 05:59 AM
alpineballer's Avatar
Abominable snowballer
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: vienna
Posts: 1,652

expecations about Ian diverge a lot.

people should be a bit more realistic.
IMO he is at least two years from being NBA ready.
at 19 this isn't something to worry about. Ian is on track, if he was a NCAA player, he would be a sophomore next season.

Ian isn't the next Amare Stoudemire. (somebody once mentioned this)
he also isn't the next Emeka Okafor (he was compared to him by scouting reports).
his talents are on the defensive end, his offense will be average at best.
this doesn't mean, that he won't become a great and usefull player.
IMO the best case scenario is that he becomes a player like Camby (which isn't a bad thing at all).
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-24-06, 08:02 AM
Binji's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Slovenia
Posts: 449

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleo
And can we please at least wait 3 or 4 years before deciding Ian sucks? Maybe put a moratorium on his suckiness until then?
But, but...thats not the SR way
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 07-24-06, 10:00 AM
Vito Corleone's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Brooklyn NY
Posts: 3,193

Quote:
Originally Posted by pad300
You think Saunders is worth a damn? I think I'll take your opinions with a bit of skepticism...
I watched one game that was the one against Utah. They had 4 or 5 guys on that roster that will make their team. And Saunders was the best player on the court.

I have no idea if he will make the Spurs roster or not I just know he was good that night.


Quote:
Originally Posted by spurssheriff
True -- but when the Spurs drafted Manu -- he at least had a good offensive game. Ian has neither. The Spurs aren't going to publically come out and trash the guy -- If a guy doesn't have an offensive game by this stage -- it's very unlikely that he will ever develop one.
Lots of guys develop their offense later in their careers. Jermaine Oneal didn't have much of an offensive game when he got to the NBA look at him now. Just saying there are exceptions. We had tow in Avery Johnson and Bruce Bowen.


Quote:
Originally Posted by spurtime
I disagree...Hakeem looked like he had 2 left feet his first couple of years at U of H...He only scored because he hit the offensive glass his freshman and sophomore years. Don't give up on his offensive game yet, especially considering how new he is to the game, much like Hakeem.
Selective memory, Akeem lead UofH to the championship game against NCSU his Sophmore year. He had a offensive game.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-24-06, 03:00 PM
JoeSchmo's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The capital of Texas...that's right...Sunset Valley
Posts: 840

Damn, and I was pumped to have the summer league championship celebration on the Riverwalk.
__________________

"Married men live longer. Yes. And an indoor cat also lives longer. It's a furball with a broken spirit, that can only look out on a world it can never enjoy. But it does technically live longer." - Bill Maher
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-24-06, 03:54 PM
curiousspirit's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: under the radar
Posts: 3,614

They (NBA TV) are about to show the Spurs/Mavs summer game at 4 pm central today. Don't worry if you miss it because they will show it again at midnight central time.
__________________
It is what it is -- Bruce Bowen
When everyone thinks alike, no one thinks.-- Bill Walton
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-24-06, 06:15 PM
curiousspirit's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: under the radar
Posts: 3,614

Melzer and Saunders looked really good in this game. Ian just needs more experience and a few more pounds. He gets pushed around a lot. Of course it took me almost half the game to figure out who everyone was, so I'll have to see it again at midnight.
__________________
It is what it is -- Bruce Bowen
When everyone thinks alike, no one thinks.-- Bill Walton
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07-24-06, 10:26 PM
CrackWhore's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Boo-yah!!!
Posts: 797

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousspirit
Melzer and Saunders looked really good in this game. Ian just needs more experience and a few more pounds. He gets pushed around a lot. Of course it took me almost half the game to figure out who everyone was, so I'll have to see it again at midnight.
He did have a tough time. To his credit, he had to guard some big dudes (Podkolzin and Mbenga) with crazy names.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07-24-06, 10:31 PM
curiousspirit's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: under the radar
Posts: 3,614

Utah Summer league team have a couple of enforcers on it. One guy has already been ejected. The crowd is crazy since these games are in Utah and Utah is just trashing Atlanta.

Replay of Spurs vs dallas at midnight central time.
__________________
It is what it is -- Bruce Bowen
When everyone thinks alike, no one thinks.-- Bill Walton
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 07-24-06, 10:36 PM
Bucks's Avatar
SpursReport Team Captain
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Yuma, Az USA
Posts: 9,762

bowen has improved alot on o since the spurs got him
ian is fine he just needs 20 more pounds
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 07-25-06, 09:57 AM
spurs7794's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 843

I just wanna know how you all actually can watch these games. I'm a HUUUUUGE spurs fan but i tried watching that mavs spurs summer league game and i turned it off within 5 minutes cause I was bored outa my mind.
__________________
Lest we forget, in the biggest NBA game of the last decade, the Spurs handled the Pistons in the type of game that Detroit is supposedly built for. In deciding games between San Antonio and Detroit, the Spurs are 1-0, and the Pistons are 0-1.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 07-25-06, 08:16 PM
Vito Corleone's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Brooklyn NY
Posts: 3,193

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurs7794
I just wanna know how you all actually can watch these games. I'm a HUUUUUGE spurs fan but i tried watching that mavs spurs summer league game and i turned it off within 5 minutes cause I was bored outa my mind.
Believe me it was tough. It may have been too tough because I looked at the box score for the Jazz Spurs game and it turns out Ian ended up with 10 pts and 8 rebounds. Not a bad statistical night, but believe me when I say that it was the quietest 10/8 I have ever seen. I really don't remember him getting a rebound or making a shot outside of his free throws.

One of the things that definitely threw me off was the both Ian and the PF were both about the same height and build that I kept getting them mixed up. They really should do something to make the numbers on their uniforms stand out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 07-25-06, 08:32 PM
curiousspirit's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: under the radar
Posts: 3,614

Ian #15
Melzer #10
Watson #2
Dean #3
Sanders #4
Brown #14 ???
__________________
It is what it is -- Bruce Bowen
When everyone thinks alike, no one thinks.-- Bill Walton
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 07-25-06, 08:40 PM
Inspuration's Avatar
SpursReport Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 12
Spurs Summer league team sucks

Ditto to what JamesR said re: Melzer, I was also impressed w/ his quick hands and anticipation. Has a nice stroke, but shot is a little flat. I am sure they will work on that. He has good length and seems like a good rebounding "3", reminds me a lot of Shane Battier.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 07-26-06, 03:46 PM
curiousspirit's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: under the radar
Posts: 3,614

FYI

NBA TV will show the Spurs/Hawks game (Spurs lose) at 4 pm central today and rerun it at midnight.
__________________
It is what it is -- Bruce Bowen
When everyone thinks alike, no one thinks.-- Bill Walton
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 07-26-06, 04:25 PM
Jason R's Avatar
SpursReport Team Captain
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 6,768

I think People expect our foreign picks to be so good because Tony and Manu are so good and have been since they arrived, Manu more so.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 07-26-06, 04:29 PM
Jason R's Avatar
SpursReport Team Captain
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 6,768

The statement isn't just directed at him though. People overestimate all our foreign picks here.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 07-26-06, 04:31 PM
curiousspirit's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: under the radar
Posts: 3,614

Wasn't Manu about the same age as Jav and Scola when he made it to the NBA bench?

Who is the player with #17?
__________________
It is what it is -- Bruce Bowen
When everyone thinks alike, no one thinks.-- Bill Walton
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 07-26-06, 04:34 PM
Jason R's Avatar
SpursReport Team Captain
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 6,768

That was 3 years ago, Manu was... 24? That still doesn't mean either one of them is as good as he is.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 07-26-06, 04:36 PM
curiousspirit's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: under the radar
Posts: 3,614

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R
That was 3 years ago, Manu was... 24? That still doesn't mean either one of them is as good as he is.
That was my point.

BTW, shouldn't someone change the thread title by taking away the last two words? I only mention this because we are discussing the summer league games more than the Spurs sucking.
__________________
It is what it is -- Bruce Bowen
When everyone thinks alike, no one thinks.-- Bill Walton
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 07-26-06, 04:42 PM
objective's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 594

Quote:
That was 3 years ago, Manu was... 24?
he was 25
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 07-26-06, 05:10 PM
curiousspirit's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: under the radar
Posts: 3,614

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR
Ian with 14/7 in 13 minutes in the first half.

OMG HE SUX!!!!!
The kid looks good for being a raw player.

These refs are worse than the Spurs/dallas series.
__________________
It is what it is -- Bruce Bowen
When everyone thinks alike, no one thinks.-- Bill Walton
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 07-26-06, 10:19 PM
michaelp1000's Avatar
SpursReport Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3
This is what chad ford wrote about spurs.

Spurs: The Spurs are famous for either trading their first-round pick or selecting some obscure international player. Two of the said mystery men showed up in Utah at the Rocky Mountain Revue and there wasn't much to like. Ian Mahinimi looks like he has the raw tools but looks to be years away. By the way Sergei Karaulov played, according to scouts, he might never play in the league.




chad ford
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.7.4 Copyright © 2000-2008 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0