News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 07-21-06, 06:11 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Elson officially a Spur

Elson officially a Spur
A. Lopez, Rocky Mountain News
Friday, July 21, 2006

For three seasons, backup center Francisco Elson dutifully served as an affordable insurance policy.

On Thursday, the Nuggets decided his updated premiums were just a tad too high.

The Nuggets once again are sans Francisco after declining to match the two-year, $6 million offer sheet Elson signed last week with the San Antonio Spurs.

Because Elson was a restricted free agent, the Nuggets had seven days to match the Spurs' offer or wave goodbye.

"He moved up the ladder and deserves a bigger contract," Nuggets coach George Karl said. "I'm happy for that. I'm happy that he went to a good team, but there's disappointment."

Not on Elson's part.

After playing for the league's minimum salary the past two seasons, the 7-foot, 235-pound Elson looked forward to a hefty raise and an opportunity for more playing time.

He started 54 games in place of injured big men Marcus Camby and Kenyon Martin, but he averaged only 13 1/2 minutes in the 18 games he did not start. Elson never left the bench in eight other games.

Rarely did he complain, and he was productive when called upon, averaging 5.6 points and 5.4 rebounds as a starter. The Nuggets were 32-22 in those games.

"The guy did a (great) job for us," Nuggets player personnel director Mark Warkentien said. "We'll miss him."

That being said, the Nuggets were not willing to pay $3 million a season for a 30-year-old spot starter who has averaged 4.1 points and 3.7 rebounds in three seasons.

With San Antonio, Elson will compete for a starting job alongside perennial All-Star forward Tim Duncan. The Spurs pursued a center after trading Rasho Nesterovic to the Toronto Raptors and losing free agent Nazr Mohammed to the Detroit Pistons.

"It's going to be a great situation," Elson's agent, Calvin Andrews, said.

Elson flew to Europe on Wednesday and was unavailable for comment. He said last week he looked forward to joining the Spurs.

"I'm just eager to play," he said. "I want to do good things in this league. San Antonio is giving me a chance to be part of a championship organization."

link
Old 07-21-06, 08:44 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I like this guy...I think he's gonna do good things. At least as good as the previous stiffs we had.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-21-06, 08:57 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

From nba.com's player bio. I guess he can chat with Manu and Oberto in Spanish!

Full name is Francisco Marihno Robby Elson.
A native of Rotterdam, the Netherlands.
Seventh Dutch player to play in the NBA.
Is fluent in Dutch, Spanish and English.
Was a member of the Dutch Under-20 National Team.
Never played high school basketball, instead played for club teams.
Has two brothers and a sister.

Played two seasons at Kilgore (Texas) Junior College before completing his college career at California … Appeared in 59 games for the Golden Bears over two seasons, starting 42 times … Finished seventh all-time on the school’s blocked shots list with 64 … Helped lead Cal to the NIT Championship as a senior … Averaged 5.4 ppg and 4.8 rpg in his two seasons in Berkeley.

Was drafted by the Nuggets in the second round of the 1999 NBA Draft, but played overseas for four years.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-21-06, 09:25 AM
Official SR Home Builder

Quote:
"He moved up the ladder and deserves a bigger contract," Nuggets coach George Karl said. "I'm happy for that. I'm happy that he went to a good team, but there's disappointment."
That was a nice comment from Karl
Old 07-21-06, 10:32 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurssheriff
Elson officially a Spur
A. Lopez, Rocky Mountain News
Friday, July 21, 2006

The Nuggets once again are sans Francisco

someone needs to smash that reporters laptop for that pun
Old 07-21-06, 10:42 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 562bulldog
someone needs to smash that reporters laptop for that pun
move over gene shalit... or shal-it i say, someone stole your genes in denver...
Old 07-21-06, 12:50 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy from Austin
That was a nice comment from Karl
Well he did play for us.