News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-06, 05:39 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Associated Press: Denver will let deadline pass on Elson

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2525437

I was amused by Nene saying he wanted to be like Karl Malone and Denver's player personnel director agreeing. The prospect of no championships in Denver for the Nene/Melo era sure will sell a lot of season tickets.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-20-06, 05:40 PM

This is good news in my book.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-20-06, 05:41 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Its not funny for Denver not that they have two big men with bad knees on the books for over $100 million
Old 07-20-06, 05:42 PM

Can we get the Hollinger numbers on this guy?
Old 07-20-06, 05:43 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Well, at least now we know. This should pretty much wrap up the offseason, save for the possibility of a trade involving Williams in mid-August.
Old 07-20-06, 05:43 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR

He'd better play better than he has so far in his career.
I don't think he'll be counted on to play better than his career.
You gotta fill the end of the bench, too.
Old 07-20-06, 05:45 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

All the anticipation, the drama, the long days and now its appears to be over.

:richb

Welcome aboard Elson, I hope he earns his money. But at least he can foul Dirk hard anytime he tries to drive to the rim.
Old 07-20-06, 05:45 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Well with this news I officially give this offeason a push as far as on the court production goes and an A for the accounting team.
Old 07-20-06, 05:47 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

I guess we're set.
Old 07-20-06, 05:47 PM
SpursReport Rookie

So is fabi stuck on the end of the bench forever?
Old 07-20-06, 05:52 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljoe
So is fabi stuck on the end of the bench forever?
IF he can't beat Elson and Butler for at least a backup job he deserves to be on the end of the bench forever - better yet, to be on the trading block.
Old 07-20-06, 05:56 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

"Starting at center for your San Antonio Spurs.......Fransico Elson?" Damn. Prove me wrong Elson.
Old 07-20-06, 05:59 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
.....According to Amente the Spurs see him being announced in the starting lineup.
I hope it's Butler instead. I think Elson pretty much a end-of-the-bench guy now. I hope they're not counting on him playing more than a few minutes each night.
Old 07-20-06, 06:02 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Well I guess the Spurs have a new whipping boy...seems that has already been decided
Old 07-20-06, 06:03 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Unless Butler and Elson for a combo that works like Diop/Dampier, Elson WILL start over Butler. Butler is too raw, has no defense, to be starting for the Spurs. Elson has at least some expeirance at starting even if he isn't any better. Both would be better as back ups I think.
Old 07-20-06, 06:04 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzG
Well I guess the Spurs have a new whipping boy...seems that has already been decided
He'll only be here for 2 years. Start whipping or you'll miss the chance!
Old 07-20-06, 06:04 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUspur
Its not funny for Denver not that they have two big men with bad knees on the books for over $100 million
I find it hilarious!
Old 07-20-06, 06:05 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo_radley
Good news in my book too. Did you read this part in the link?

"With Nene signed, the Nuggets had little reason to keep restricted free-agent center Francisco Elson. Denver was expected to let the deadline pass at midnight Thursday without matching San Antonio's two-year, $6 million offer to Elson, who proved invaluable when Nene was sidelined last season."

Hey, our troubles are over, he's invaluable
Old 07-20-06, 06:16 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
4/4 is invaluable?
Hey, the article in the press said that, not me. I guess while Camby was out he must
have done better than 4/4. Tell you what, I'll admit he might not be the next Five-0, you cut the guy a little slack until maybe a month into the season.
Old 07-20-06, 06:17 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

The guy hasn't even played a game yet and everyone's bashing him? I guess we found the new Rasho... I say give the guy a chance. The first time you see him on the receiving end of an alley-oop fast break from Manu or TP half of you in here will be eating crow.

Not only will he be counted on to play more than "a few minutes a night," he'll be our starting center.

Don't get me wrong, he's no David Robinson, but he's a faster, quicker version of Rasho, only he actually DUNKS the ball AND can hit from 15 feet too. Unlike Rasho & Nazr, he will actually see the floor against the Mavs and Suns too, because he has the speed to keep up with those teams. I'm pretty optimistic about how well he'll play next to Tim.

Welcome aboard Francisco!
Old 07-20-06, 06:22 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I like Elson's size and toughness. Is he a great center? No. Is he passable as a 7-footer for $6 million/2 years? Absolutely.

The Spurs need the toughness we lacked with freaking Rasho/Nazr in there. It protects Tim from more foul trouble and finally makes people think twice about coming into the paint against the Spurs. Elson is capable of banging against the Shaq and Yao, and is capable of throwing downa nasty dunk here and there. We haven't had that since Kevin Willis, and Willis was too old to intimidate anyone.

I'm fine with this. It was obvious that the FO wasn't going to spend big or make any type of monumental move this summer, so this is okay.
Old 07-20-06, 06:30 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Good move. It's all about value in your role players when we have 3 big money guys. Since Koncak and Jim McIlvaine, bigs get overpaid so badly in the league. Good job with financial responsibility. We're not tied down if he flops, and any 7-foot veteran for 3 mil per year who can start, at least servicably start, is a good deal in my book. If the dominant player can't be had, don't overpay. Good move.
Old 07-20-06, 06:34 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Yeah, actually a guy measured at 7-0!
Old 07-20-06, 06:40 PM

7'-0" is over-rated
Old 07-20-06, 06:42 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I have no problem with Elson coming on board. Him and Butler should already know that both will be used depending on matchups. The phrase "starter" will only be what they're classified as depending on who the Spurs would be playing.

Now...just for thought...what if the goal in being able to get both of these players were to use one as trade bait in the near future?
Old 07-20-06, 06:42 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
7'-0" is over-rated
What's not overrated nowadays? :richb
Old 07-20-06, 06:47 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF4L
I have no problem with Elson coming on board. Him and Butler should already know that both will be used depending on matchups. The phrase "starter" will only be what they're classified as depending on who the Spurs would be playing.

Now...just for thought...what if the goal in being able to get both of these players were to use one as trade bait in the near future?
Possible, about the rade bait thing, but IMHO not likely. As stated earlier, the Spurs were looking for, shall we say 'inexpensive' help at center, and have accomplished that. I'd say that if the spurs determine that Elson/Butler aren't getting it done, then a trade will be pursued.
Old 07-20-06, 06:54 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseacres
Possible, about the rade bait thing, but IMHO not likely. As stated earlier, the Spurs were looking for, shall we say 'inexpensive' help at center, and have accomplished that. I'd say that if the spurs determine that Elson/Butler aren't getting it done, then a trade will be pursued.
One would hope that since the Spurs obviously have no plans for Williams that a trade is already being pursued.
Old 07-20-06, 07:02 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotes_geek
One would hope that since the Spurs obviously have no plans for Williams that a trade is already being pursued.
Could be. As I see it, the Spurs have what they need to start the season. I'm sure they'll pull the trigger on a trade involving EWill and maybe Barry if they feel it will make the team better. Maybe they'll give Melzer and the other newbie a little time to strut their stuff first.
Old 07-20-06, 07:02 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Isn't there a rule that you can't trade a player who signed a free agent contract with you for one calendar year? I know that was the case when we tried to trade Robinson to NJ for Jason Williams. Is that rule still in place?

Oops, meant Jayson Williams.

Last edited by trow12; 07-20-06 at 07:16 PM. Reason: typo - wrong guy
Old 07-20-06, 07:05 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
I agree.
Old 07-20-06, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trow12
Isn't there a rule that you can't trade a player who signed a free agent contract with you for one calendar year? I know that was the case when we tried to trade Robinson to NJ for Jason Williams. Is that rule still in place?

Oops, meant Jayson Williams.
I think under the current CBA, they can be traded in mid-December.
Old 07-20-06, 08:25 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Also Thursday, the Nuggets had not reached a decision by early evening on whether or not by the midnight deadline to match the two-year, $6 million offer sheet restricted free-agent center Francisco Elson signed with San Antonio. And the Nuggets have agreed to terms on a two-year, $1.1 million contract for free-agent swingman Yakhouba Diawara.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...858322,00.html
Old 07-20-06, 09:22 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs Brazil
And the Nuggets have agreed to terms on a two-year, $1.1 million contract for free-agent swingman Yakhouba Diawara.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...858322,00.html
Sorry, but I wouldn't throw that kind of money at a guy named Yakhouba Diawara.
Old 07-20-06, 09:24 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackWhore
Sorry, but I wouldn't throw that kind of money at a guy named Yakhouba Diawara.
strong point
Old 07-20-06, 09:26 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurtime
strong point
I know.
Old 07-20-06, 09:31 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

maybe this impressed them...

http://www.vegassummerleague.com/pla...ason=3&team=20
Old 07-20-06, 09:34 PM
SpursReport Team Member

He's the guy from 'The Air Up There'
Old 07-20-06, 09:47 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF4L
The strangeness of his name far outweighs any stats he could put up...
Old 07-20-06, 09:59 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurtime
The strangeness of his name far outweighs any stats he could put up...
spurtime I just knew you'd come around.
Old 07-20-06, 10:05 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Capable of banging against who?

Elson 7'0" 235 lbs.
Yao 7"6" 310 lbs.
Shaq 7'1" 325 lbs.

Cisco better stay out by Dirk (245 lbs. and bulking up more each season), stay away from Yao and Shaq. a man's gotta know his limitations...

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito
I like Elson's size and toughness. Is he a great center? No. Is he passable as a 7-footer for $6 million/2 years? Absolutely.

The Spurs need the toughness we lacked with freaking Rasho/Nazr in there. It protects Tim from more foul trouble and finally makes people think twice about coming into the paint against the Spurs. Elson is capable of banging against the Shaq and Yao, and is capable of throwing downa nasty dunk here and there. We haven't had that since Kevin Willis, and Willis was too old to intimidate anyone.
Old 07-20-06, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TresAnios
Capable of banging against who?

Elson 7'0" 235 lbs.
Yao 7"6" 310 lbs.
Shaq 7'1" 325 lbs.

Cisco better stay out by Dirk (245 lbs. and bulking up more each season), stay away from Yao and Shaq. a man's gotta know his limitations...
How often will the Spurs see Miami? Twice. Houston? Four times. The rest of the League? 76 times....I think he'll do fine.
Old 07-20-06, 11:37 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
How often will the Spurs see Miami? Twice. Houston? Four times. The rest of the League? 76 times....I think he'll do fine.
Miami, as many as 9 times ...
Old 07-20-06, 11:44 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

imo rasho could have, along with tim, discouraged NOWITzki from driving lane to lay it up so often like he never did before those round 2 games. But i do understand that that dallas team had more slashers than just NOWITzki. I am not convinced Elson/Butler is the answer if Rasho/Nazr was the problem, nor am I convinced Rasho/Nazr was the problem in the first place (2006 63-19 with an hurting Tim foot). Play them in the POs POP!

Old 07-20-06, 11:50 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by To be named later
Yup.

Alltogether, I think the risk of putting Elson or Butler on Nowitzki and sticking to the Spurs gameplan, is a whole hell of a lot better than the risk of sticking Rasho or Nazr on Dirk, or the risk of leaving Rasho and Nazr on the bench and abandoning the Spurs gameplan.
You do realize that same scenario might happen again if the two teams met again in the playoffs.

Especially if Elson and Butler prove to be the same type of performers as Rasho and Nazr.

(I know...you don't want to think about that at this point... )
Old 07-21-06, 07:45 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsucksForever
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2525437

I was amused by Nene saying he wanted to be like Karl Malone and Denver's player personnel director agreeing. The prospect of no championships in Denver for the Nene/Melo era sure will sell a lot of season tickets.
oh because a team cannot win a championship, fans shouldnt goto games? nene and melo wont win a title this year but they are young...