News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 07-20-06, 10:44 AM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Would Nuggets take Steve Francis?

One free-agent forward who might interest the Knicks is rugged Denver rebounder Reggie Evans, but he might impede the development of second-year Knicks forwards Channing Frye and David Lee, which is a priority for Thomas.

If there's a major deal out there, it would have to be for Denver power forward Kenyon Martin. One NBA executive said the Nuggets are "desperate" to unload him and almost certainly could be forced to take Steve .Francis, who has three years worth $48.7 million left on his contract, if only because he costs so much less than Martin, who has five years left for $70.9 million.

But Martin is coming off microfracture knee surgery and was suspended by the Nuggets during the playoffs for behavioral problems. Denver asked for Frye in the past and likely would again, but the Knicks won't trade Frye.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basket...orts-headlines
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-20-06, 10:48 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

So Carmelo isn't enough? Martin too? Oh no!

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-20-06, 10:56 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

If I were Denver I'd do it if that was the only way to get him off the team. KMart NEEDS to go and while Francis is definitely overpaid, overrated and selfish, he can score and Denver does not have a legitimate #2 scoring threat after Carmelo. Not to mention you save about $22 mil.

Not too many teams are going to want to take on KMart so you've got to take what you can get.
Old 07-20-06, 10:56 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Yeah, I think they would take Francis, but the Knicks would have to be nuts to take Martin, which of course means it's only a matter of time. I really don't think Denver wants to keep Martin, and I certainly hope the Spurs don't trade for him.
Old 07-20-06, 11:02 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseacres
I certainly hope the Spurs don't trade for him.
Don't worry about that, brother.
Old 07-20-06, 11:12 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Back when they were talking about the 8 team-19 player trade that was in the works, I posted a scenario where the Nuggets would trade Kenyon Martin and Andre Miller and get back Stephen Jackson (from Indiana) and Steve Francis. The contracts match up nearly perfectly. Of course this was before the trade for JR Smith. It is widely known that the Nuggets have been in desperate need of guards who can hit the 3. Getting Francis (and SJax) would definitely solve that problem.

Re-signing Reggie Evans would lessen the impact of losing Martin in the post, of course. With Smith, there is less of a need for Stephen Jackson, but Francis (selfishness & all) would be a TALENT upgrade over Andre Miller. Of course, we've seen what "Talent before TEAM" does to the Knicks...

Still, if they are interested in Francis, the deal would probably include either Miller or Boykins, since they traded Watson cuz they couldn't get him any playing time last year behind Miller & Boykins.
Old 07-20-06, 01:00 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Boo Martin
Old 07-20-06, 01:06 PM
SpursReport Team Member

If the Nuggets were planning to ship Martin out for Francis w/o getting another big man in return, wouldn't that make them more likely to match Elson's offer?

"Getting a Sixth Man award is like being the best left-handed guard," Ginobili said. "I believe you're either the best player or not." 3-26-07
Old 07-20-06, 01:11 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by babalanja
If the Nuggets were planning to ship Martin out for Francis w/o getting another big man in return, wouldn't that make them more likely to match Elson's offer?
You would think so.
Old 07-20-06, 01:31 PM

so now you'll have two ball hogs. Boykins and Francis. Although, I got no problem with Boykins cause he is smarter in how he uses his quickness and ball skills. Francis will just run out the clock with some wierd logic.
Old 07-20-06, 01:59 PM
SpursReport Rookie

He is an awesome player and can do some pretty awesome dunks but after he got traded to Orlando he wasn't a team player. I wouldn't really want him on my team because he is really more of a wild card and doesnt listen very well. However, when he was in the playoffs with Houston against the Lakers, he was a diehard always going to the basket and the only person keeping the rockets in the game.
And do not worry about what you should drink or eat, nor have an anxious mind. For all these things the nations of the world seek after, and your Father knows you need these things. But seek the kingdom of God and all these things shall be added to you.
Luke 12:29-31
Old 07-20-06, 02:05 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsuck
I wouldn't really want him on my team because he is really more of a wild card and doesnt listen very well.
I wouldn't want Francis on my team either, but that's not the issue here. The issue is who do you want on your team less, Francis or Martin?
Old 07-20-06, 02:08 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotes_geek
I wouldn't want Francis on my team either, but that's not the issue here. The issue is who do you want on your team less, Francis or Martin?
Geez, that's like asking which boot do you want to get kicked in the ass with, left or right?
Old 07-20-06, 02:14 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Like I said earlier Francis is an awesome player but he is not a team leader. He always wants the ball and has confidence in himself which is great, but he doesnt have the leadership abilities that he thinks he has. He needs to understand that he is just a really good role player and if he does he will help out the nuggets a lot. But I have a feeling that his mindset isnt going to allow him to do that.
And do not worry about what you should drink or eat, nor have an anxious mind. For all these things the nations of the world seek after, and your Father knows you need these things. But seek the kingdom of God and all these things shall be added to you.
Luke 12:29-31
Old 07-20-06, 02:14 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Quote:
Geez, that's like asking which boot do you want to get kicked in the ass with, left or right?

well, since Francis has the smaller contract I guess I rather chance it with Francis which I guess is like answering Wiseacres question with "ah, which boot or foot is smaller?"
Old 07-20-06, 02:17 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Pretty much. It's not a decision with a positive outcome no matter which way you go, but it's still one you have to make.
Old 07-20-06, 02:25 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amente
well, since Francis has the smaller contract I guess I rather chance it with Francis which I guess is like answering Wiseacres question with "ah, which boot or foot is smaller?"
Point taken I guess. Martin's contract runs to 2011, Francis has a player option in 2008, so you wouldn't have to put up with him as long. So, a lesser of two evils?
Old 07-20-06, 05:08 PM
SpursReport Rookie

few people i woudlnt trade kmart for but francis is one of them.
Old 07-20-06, 07:07 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Francis is a loser. He'd fit in well in Denver.
Old 07-20-06, 08:33 PM
SpursReport Team Member

A while back I remember reading about how Carmelo & Francis do not get along at all.
Old 07-21-06, 01:38 AM
SpursReport Rookie

If they want to get rid of Kenyon Martin, then they'll have to. They have choice. Both players are, more or less, damaged goods.
Old 07-21-06, 01:50 AM

Quote:
If I were Denver I'd do it if that was the only way to get him off the team. KMart NEEDS to go and while Francis is definitely overpaid, overrated and selfish, he can score and Denver does not have a legitimate #2 scoring threat after Carmelo. Not to mention you save about $22 mil.

Not too many teams are going to want to take on KMart so you've got to take what you can get.
Yes, and no. He does fill a role a little more than Martin, but he's probably worse of an attitude than Martin, which is hard to top. But then, it is Isiah. He can probably trade Francis back in a few years down the road.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 07-21-06, 02:25 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Milwaukee is looking for a player like S. Francis. Milwaukee is looking to trade Magloire.

Milwaukee could take on a Francis type contract...
http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/milwaukee.htm
Old 07-21-06, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF4L
Milwaukee is looking for a player like S. Francis. Milwaukee is looking to trade Magloire.

Milwaukee could take on a Francis type contract...
http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/milwaukee.htm
Bad bad bad move. Why? They have Redd who's their go to guy scorer. Then you have Bobby Simmons. They moved Desmond Mason because they had too many guys who were too similar.

Also remember, they have rookies who have short, cheap contracts. Francis would destroy cap room completely. He would not help and his contract is still too long to be useful to come off the books.

Old 07-21-06, 02:57 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grego
Bad bad bad move. Why? They have Redd who's their go to guy scorer. Then you have Bobby Simmons. They moved Desmond Mason because they had too many guys who were too similar.

Also remember, they have rookies who have short, cheap contracts. Francis would destroy cap room completely. He would not help and his contract is still too long to be useful to come off the books.
I'm glad you feel that way.

Poor Magloire...he just wants to go to a team like the Spurs for a season...help them win a championship...do a heck of a job that year...then look to get a mega deal from another team.

If we're about winning championships now...I'd figure a way to make it happen.
Old 07-21-06, 03:20 AM

Quote:
I'm glad you feel that way.

Poor Magloire...he just wants to go to a team like the Spurs for a season...help them win a championship...do a heck of a job that year...then look to get a mega deal from another team.

If we're about winning championships now...I'd figure a way to make it happen.
What do Spurs have to do with Francis? NY and Bucks can swap without Spurs being involved. I dont' see how that helps the Spurs though.

Old 07-21-06, 03:35 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
What do Spurs have to do with Francis? NY and Bucks can swap without Spurs being involved. I dont' see how that helps the Spurs though.
I'm just thinking about Duncan. With the aquisitions made...Duncan is going to have to play a lot of minutes durng the regular season. Doesn't bode well for post season if Duncan is worn out. A player like Magloire would probably be assurance that Duncan could be relieved during games enough so as to be fresh for the playoffs.

What does it have to do with Francis you ask...Bucks are looking for a SG - SF type to replace Magloire. Knicks are looking to reduce salary. Spurs have got expiring contracts and or draft rights.
Old 07-21-06, 03:39 AM

Quote:
I'm just thinking about Duncan. With the aquisitions made...Duncan is going to have to play a lot of minutes durng the regular season. Doesn't bode well for post season if Duncan is worn out. A player like Magloire would probably be assurance that Duncan could be relieved during games enough so as to be fresh for the playoffs.

What does it have to do with Francis you ask...Bucks are looking for a SG - SF type to replace Magloire. Knicks are looking to reduce salary. Spurs have got expiring contracts and or draft rights.
How do you know Duncan has to play a lot of minutes? The past two seasons he hasn't. It wasn't like Spurs had dominant big men then, either.

The only time Rasho put up big numbers was when Duncan was injured the previous year. Nazr was inconsistent. Duncan was very inconsistent during the season especially at the tail ends of long trips and back to back nights.

So I still don't see where Duncan plays more minutes? Parker has improved and hopefully Manu is healthy. Finley has shown he's adjusted.

I really don't see what's different for the Spurs. The big men changed, but that's about it. Maybe they'll proved some more scoring relief, but that won't change Duncan's minutes. Pop is smart enough to keep the minutes down, I think. He saw the benefit in the post season this past year, even with the plantar facisitis.

Jamal is not a 2 or a 3. Redd and Bobby Simmons make up their swing tandem. Their weakness is bench of course. Then point guard situation is a tad weak. They need to bolster their front line to help Bogut and Smith(who missed significant time).

But they don't need a guy like Francis who will try to be a big option.

Old 07-21-06, 03:47 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
How do you know Duncan has to play a lot of minutes? The past two seasons he hasn't. It wasn't like Spurs had dominant big men then, either.

The only time Rasho put up big numbers was when Duncan was injured the previous year. Nazr was inconsistent. Duncan was very inconsistent during the season especially at the tail ends of long trips and back to back nights.

So I still don't see where Duncan plays more minutes? Parker has improved and hopefully Manu is healthy. Finley has shown he's adjusted.

I really don't see what's different for the Spurs. The big men changed, but that's about it. Maybe they'll proved some more scoring relief, but that won't change Duncan's minutes. Pop is smart enough to keep the minutes down, I think. He saw the benefit in the post season this past year, even with the plantar facisitis.

Jamal is not a 2 or a 3. Redd and Bobby Simmons make up their swing tandem. Their weakness is bench of course. Then point guard situation is a tad weak. They need to bolster their front line to help Bogut and Smith(who missed significant time).

But they don't need a guy like Francis who will try to be a big option.
You just answered my concerns with the responses highlighted in bold.

As far as Milwaukee...they have said in reports that they were looking to get a quality PG or b/u SG to even consider trading Magloire.
Old 07-21-06, 04:14 AM

Quote:
You just answered my concerns with the responses highlighted in bold.

As far as Milwaukee...they have said in reports that they were looking to get a quality PG or b/u SG to even consider trading Magloire.
You can't ever replace Duncan. You have to accept it. Seemingly, Spurs seemed to gel when he was out, so it wasn't all bad.

Parker is continuing to grow and the team is learning to play better when he is sitting. So when Manu is injuried, should we worry about lacking a guy to replace him or Parker(who doesn't have a suitable backup it seems)? Spurs don't have a lot to offer for Magloire. He'll move, but not to the Spurs.

Duncan may or may not miss time next year. Hopefully its not during the post season. But there's no addition you can really put in there that can make up for his loss. Only a few would come close with KG, Rasheed, etc.

Old 07-21-06, 08:49 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDeeds
Francis is a loser. He'd fit in well in Denver.
Old 07-21-06, 09:03 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I think it would be funny too.