Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-06, 03:08 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Knicks don't match on Butler

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/b...6.203c608.html

Knicks decline to match Spurs' offer to Butler

Web Posted: 07/19/2006 01:55 PM CDT

SALT LAKE CITY – The New York Knicks have decided not to match the Spurs’ three-year, $7 million offer to restricted free agent Jackie Butler, a Knicks’ spokesman said Wednesday.

The Spurs have yet to officially hear from the Knicks or the NBA.

The Spurs also have not heard from the Denver Nuggets, who have until Thursday to match an offer for restricted free agent Francisco Elson.

Both Butler and Elson are centers.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-19-06, 03:09 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

cool.
Old 07-19-06, 03:10 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Thanks again Zeke!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-19-06, 03:10 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Good. He's very young, he's got room to improve, which he undoubtedly must do if he's to become a contributor on the Spurs.

Now I'm hoping Denver does match on Elson, but that's just me.
fleetwood macbull (from a Bulls' board), on Andrés "Chapu" Nocioni: "Noc is like that guy from Monty Python. They can cut off his arms, his hands, his feet, then his legs, but he still comes rolling his torso at you like he's going to destroy you"
Old 07-19-06, 03:11 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

thank gawd.
Old 07-19-06, 03:11 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

elson and butler......two goons and twelve fouls. go spurs
Old 07-19-06, 03:12 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg06
You're not the only one.

Old 07-19-06, 03:14 PM
SpursReport Team Member

wake me when it's training camp
Old 07-19-06, 03:14 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg06
Good. He's very young, he's got room to improve, which he undoubtedly must do if he's to become a contributor on the Spurs.

i kinda feel the same way now too...if it was my choice through it all i wanted butler but not elson. But id rather have just elson than nothing. But now that this happened, i hope they match elson, although i doubt they will.

ps. if denver did match elson, could we use whats left of our mle and COMBINE it with the LLE to get someone like jeffries or does it have to be apart?
Old 07-19-06, 03:15 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakemxcan
ps. if denver did match elson, could we use whats left of our mle and COMBINE it with the LLE to get someone like jeffries or does it have to be apart?
No.
Old 07-19-06, 03:17 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Whew. There's nothing so stressful as waiting to see if Isiah Thomas will NOT spend money.
Old 07-19-06, 03:17 PM
SpursReport Team Member

well, at least i got half of what i would've wanted the MLE spent on.

Elson blows.
Old 07-19-06, 03:19 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Can't combine MLE and LLE.

Good news on Butler, he definitely has the higher potential of the two. There is little doubt that is he NY wasn't paying Curry and James so much cash he would have been getting the PT.

I'm ambivalent on Elson. I don't think he would be horrid but I don't think he is anything special. I also don't know that the Spurs are going to get much more for that level of contract.
Old 07-19-06, 03:20 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

last time isiah made a decision on a big man coming to the spurs it worked out quite nicely. let's hope history repeats itself.
SpursReport Team Captain

Good news, Butler is young and has a good upside
SpursReport Team Bench

Come on, Denver. Evans wants that full MLE, stick with Elson and drop the manhood-grabber. You know Geico's worth $3 mil
Old 07-19-06, 03:22 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

come on denver match elson.
Old 07-19-06, 03:22 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Don't know why Elson is getting so much heat. For a 3 mil center, he ain't that bad. Seems to be aggressive and catches the ball, which puts him ahead of what we had last year.
Old 07-19-06, 03:23 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs Brazil
Good news, Butler is young and has a good upside
same could be said for a couple [who i won't mention] other big men, in Europe, that we have draft rights to.
Old 07-19-06, 03:23 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Good news. Obviously the Spurs had some inside info on Butlers potential in L Brown and Demps.
Old 07-19-06, 03:24 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Great news!!! Let's hope Denver matches.
Old 07-19-06, 03:27 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs Crusader
Great news!!! Let's hope Denver matches.
Old 07-19-06, 03:27 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Should I feel happy? I don't really know anything about Butler.
Old 07-19-06, 03:28 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Just out of curiosity, any of you hoping that Denver does match have any idea as to what big man the Spurs should/could get with the remaining $3 mil of the MLE that we would have left over? We do need another big man.

Remember the Javtokas ship has sailed and Mahinmi is not ready.
Old 07-19-06, 03:30 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotes_geek
Just out of curiosity, any of you hoping that Denver does match have any idea as to what big man the Spurs should/could get with the remaining $3 mil of the MLE that we would have left over? We do need another big man.
A minimum center, only use the $3 mil if a really good PF comes up that could help us play small ball.
Old 07-19-06, 03:32 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:

Maybe a S&T scenariio that gets SA another big and use the remaining MLE to land an athletic SF?
Old 07-19-06, 03:32 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson50
A minimum center, only use the $3 mil if a really good PF comes up that could help us play small ball.
"A minimum center" = who?

Kelvin Cato?
Olowokandi?
Old 07-19-06, 03:33 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:

I'd go after Lorenzen Wright
Old 07-19-06, 03:35 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I never watched Elson play, but after reading lots of posts about how he sucks, I hope Denver matches.
Old 07-19-06, 03:36 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs Brazil
I'd go after Lorenzen Wright
If Wright could be had for $3 mil then I'd be cool with that. I'd have gone after Wright ahead of Elson to begin with. Not sure $3 mil is enough though.
Old 07-19-06, 03:36 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Good news. Knicks fans seemed to higher on him than James and Curry. Let the reign of Butler begin.
Old 07-19-06, 03:37 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
"A minimum center" = who?

Kelvin Cato?
Olowokandi?
In my book they'd be great centers for the minimum, but I'm not sure they can be had for minimum. To me, we just need a 3rd center to fill the garbage time or as 6 fouls against Shaq in case we see him, so anyone big and strong is ok with me. I want TD to move to center to prepare for small ball that Pop will definitely play in the playoffs.
SpursReport Team Captain

I also like Kelvin Cato for this money with a 1 year deal
SpursReport Team Member

So.....we have our starting C now?
Old 07-19-06, 03:38 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
If Wright could be had for $3 mil then I'd be cool with that. I'd have gone after Wright ahead of Elson to begin with. Not sure $3 mil is enough though.
I think that's the problem with right--he's going to command alot more money than an Elson type.

Which leads me back to
Old 07-19-06, 03:39 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
I believe Wright is a FA, coming off a 7yr, $42 mil contract. Considering Nene got $60 mil recently, he probably won't come cheap. My choice would be Scot Pollard.
Old 07-19-06, 03:40 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
These most likely could be had for less:

Kiwi - Already knows the system and has a decent shot
Ervin Johnson - Good shot blocker
Jake Voskuhl - Energy guy
Marc Jackson?
Jamal Sampson
Scot Pollard?
Loren Woods - Skinny but can block shots

Old 07-19-06, 03:42 PM
SpursReport Rookie

What big men in Europe compare with Butler? Jak and Scola have never played an NBA game and are already in their mid to late 20's compared to Butler's 21. They pretty much are what they will be. They may be better than Butler now or may not (Scola should be). Manhimi is far more raw than Butler so it's too early to tell. Butler would have likely been a high lottery pick but he tried to come to the NBA straight out of HS and got passed on. The guy has skills.
Old 07-19-06, 03:42 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Jackie Butler...the resurection of Shaq?...
http://aol.nba.com/playerfile/jackie_butler/index.html

Kinda looks like Shaq...
Old 07-19-06, 03:45 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Sose
What big men in Europe compare with Butler? Jak and Scola have never played an NBA game and are already in their mid to late 20's compared to Butler's 21. They pretty much are what they will be. They may be better than Butler now or may not (Scola should be). Manhimi is far more raw than Butler so it's too early to tell. Butler would have likely been a high lottery pick but he tried to come to the NBA straight out of HS and got passed on. The guy has skills.
I think someone was trying to compare Elson and his $3 mil to foreign big men and not Butler.

Most here don't have a problem with Butler and the $2.3 mil he received.
Old 07-19-06, 03:50 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I have zero problems with Butler. I love his upside.
Old 07-19-06, 03:52 PM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpursFanatic21
same could be said for a couple [who i won't mention] other big men, in Europe, that we have draft rights to.
Not necessarily.....at least these two have actually played in the NBA.....
Old 07-19-06, 03:54 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I think Butler could be a good one.

He'll have Tim Duncan to teach him. Now there's an Obiwon for you.
Old 07-19-06, 04:01 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF4L
Jackie Butler...the resurection of Shaq?...
http://aol.nba.com/playerfile/jackie_butler/index.html

Kinda looks like Shaq...
haha we have the same bday -- well 10 years apart
Old 07-19-06, 04:01 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101
Not necessarily.....at least these two have actually played in the NBA.....
wow. What a Good way to judge talent and how much players are worth.
Old 07-19-06, 04:07 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Yes! Let the Jackie Butler era begin!

I have seen the future...
Old 07-19-06, 04:09 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
In my book they'd be great centers for the minimum, but I'm not sure they can be had for minimum. To me, we just need a 3rd center to fill the garbage time or as 6 fouls against Shaq in case we see him, so anyone big and strong is ok with me. I want TD to move to center to prepare for small ball that Pop will definitely play in the playoffs.
How about some names? Instead of just being negative about the offer made to Elson, how about a viable alternative?

The problem is that there are no decent NBA experienced centers who are willing to accept 3 mill for just 2-3 years. Or can you provide actual names of players who would?
Old 07-19-06, 04:14 PM
SpursReport Team Member

GO SPURS Bring on Elson.
Old 07-19-06, 04:15 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousspirit
How about some names? Instead of just being negative about the offer made to Elson, how about a viable alternative?

The problem is that there are no decent NBA experienced centers who are willing to accept 3 mill for just 2-3 years. Or can you provide actual names of players who would?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackc852
These most likely could be had for less:

Kiwi - Already knows the system and has a decent shot
Ervin Johnson - Good shot blocker
Jake Voskuhl - Energy guy
Marc Jackson?
Jamal Sampson
Scot Pollard?
Loren Woods - Skinny but can block shots

Old 07-19-06, 04:16 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amente
wow. What a Good way to judge talent and how much players are worth.
Seems to me a player with nba experience is more of a known value. Obviously not the only variable or even the most important, but there's a lot of guys that look good overseas but don't cut it in the nba. Most of those guys do not play the exhaustive schedule or travel as much as the nba players do, correct?