News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 07-17-06, 09:06 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Spurs lose to Hawks

http://www.nba.com/media/jazz/06game8.pdf

SALT LAKE CITY (July 15, 2006) -- Game two on Monday started much closer than game one. The Atlanta Hawks (0-2) and San Antonio Spurs (2-0) got off to a slow start scoring only 30 combined points in the first quarter. The Spurs shot the ball terribly in the first going 4-of-17 from the floor at 23.5 percent.

Yesterday’s star for the Hawks, Salim Stoudamire, got off to a blistering start going 3-for-3 from the floor with seven points. Spurs big man Ian Mahinmi started strong in the post by scoring six points in the first quarter.

The game stayed close throughout the first half with the biggest lead being six for the Hawks. The half ended with the Hawks leading the Spurs 40-35. Stoudamire had 13 points at the half while Revue leading scorer, Marvin Williams, had just nine points in the first half. Mahinmi led all scorers in the half with 14 points for the Spurs.

The scoring in the second half began to heat up as both teams shot above 50 percent from the floor. Duke standout, Shelden Williams, has yet to get on track in this Rocky Mountain Revue as he’s only averaging four rebounds a game thus far.

The Spurs began to make a push early in the second half to regain the lead but a Melvin Saunders’ missed wide open dunk led to a Cedric Bozeman three-pointer which kept the Hawks up five points. Saunders’ missed dunk spawned a five point swing for the Hawks.

The Spurs closed the gap to as little as three points midway through the third quarter, but they couldn’t get over the hump due to poor shooting from the outside and a failure to penetrate the Hawks’ defense. However, late in the quarter the Spurs made a strong run with Stoudamire and Marvin Williams out for the Hawks. San Antonio closed the gap to within three by the end of the quarter.

Shelden Williams pulled up lame at the end of the third quarter, grabbing his hamstring. He did return to the game midway through the fourth quarter and appeared to be a t full strength.

Two minutes into the final quarter, the Hawks had pulled away from the Spurs to lead by seven points. Then, when the Spurs pulled to within three points, Stoudamire and Marvin Williams came back into the ballgame. The substitution helped propel the Hawks to an 13 point lead late in the fourth. San Antonio could never recover and the Hawks went on to win it 84-74.

Marvin Williams finished with 22 points to lead all scorers and Stoudamire ended with 19 for Atlanta. In the losing effort, Ian Mihinmi finished with 16 points.

http://www.nba.com/jazz/Revue/06game8.html
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-17-06, 09:09 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Trouble is Ian had 8 fouls and 5 TO's in 22 mins.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-17-06, 09:10 PM
The Master Baiter

I have serious doubts about this team if they can't beat the bottom dwelling teams. Sometimes I think they have no heart. This could hurt them come play...oh sorry.
Old 07-17-06, 09:20 PM
MomBear

Old 07-17-06, 09:21 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUspur
On the other hand, if they give him more time he could average a quadruple double.
Old 07-17-06, 09:25 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab
I have serious doubts about this team if they can't beat the bottom dwelling teams. Sometimes I think they have no heart. This could hurt them come play...oh sorry.
Don't think too much of it. The Knicks summer league have a winning record. That should set your mind at ease a bit.
Old 07-17-06, 09:41 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Ian needs to get that free throw % down or he wont have a chance at making the team this year.

I like his 5 offensive rebounds and his 2 steal. In addition he had a pretty good shooting night against prob sheldon williams who was known for his defense and rebounding.
Old 07-17-06, 09:42 PM
SpursReport Team Member

44 fouls in a 40-minute game? What, did they have Bavetta and Javie working it?

When each team has more fouls than rebounds, that is some dreadful basketball.
Old 07-17-06, 09:46 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

The refs in these games have been calling everything. I think the average fouls per game is about 80-90. I heard these new refs are being graded and I guess they all want to make the cut.

In any event, I very seriously doubt that the FO is even thinking about bringing Ian over this year. When they said it was a small chance, I think they meant "no way in h*ll.
Old 07-17-06, 09:52 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Hey he's finding the basket, maybe he needs to be here getting the feel of the speed and power of the US game. Let him learn here. He probably would learn a lot just banging with TD in practice.
Old 07-17-06, 09:59 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousspirit
The refs in these games have been calling everything. I think the average fouls per game is about 80-90. I heard these new refs are being graded and I guess they all want to make the cut.

In any event, I very seriously doubt that the FO is even thinking about bringing Ian over this year. When they said it was a small chance, I think they meant "no way in h*ll.
These games are gonna be unwatchable when they come on NBA TV... As for Ian there's no way the front office ever had any intention of bringing him over but you can't just tell a 19 year old kid that no matter how good he plays he's not coming over ....
Old 07-17-06, 10:03 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Interesting article I found on Ian and Spurs FO.......dont know if it has been posted or not.....

http://www.truehoop.com/2005-draft-2...n-mahinmi.html

Remember Ian Mahinmi?

It was just about a year ago that we were all shocked when the 28th pick of the NBA draft was announced. No one knew anything at all about the Spurs' pick--a teenaged center was about as far as we got.

Since then, he has played reasonably well in Europe (for instance, at last summer's Under 20 European Championships) and he's supposed to be on his way to the U.S. for some summer league next month.

The Spurs' braintrust of R.C. Buford and Sam Presti is supposed to be one of the most brilliant anywhere. So what gives with this kind of pick, and most importantly, can we expect to see anyone else do anything like it this year?

Without knowing anything about Mahinmi's game, I'll tell you exactly why this kind of pick makes sense.

I'm convinced that if you want to be a title-contending team, you have to act with the conviction that your most precious resource is... roster spots. You just don't see top teams taking on players they don't want. They don't monkey around with this or that fat contract guy while his deal expires. That's a game for so-so teams to play.

The great equalizer of the NBA, in fact, is not the salary cap--which is mythical in many NBA cities. Nor is it the luxury tax. No, the great equalizer is the number of roster spots available, which is fifteen. Basically, once your roster is full of crap (hello Knicks!) there's really not any wiggle room to just get more players. You have to develop your future from those 15.

The one fat exception? Guys whose draft rights you have, but who have not signed a contract. The Spurs excel at getting those guys. The mathematics of player development change dramatically if instead of two young benchwarmers you hope might pan out, you have three additional players hooping it up overseas. If 30% of non-star draft picks become productive players (a guess), maybe neither of the two ever helps. But if you have five to choose from, something good will happen.

Mahinmi is young, big, athletic, and worth keeping an eye on. In the meantime, he's not taking one of San Antonio's precious spots, he's not costing them money, and the Spurs get to keep their 15th uniform for a player who's more ready to help now. If and when Mahinmi looks good, they'll make room for him.

It takes patience, but it can be a beautiful system if you're willing to invest in it. It's like going to the bank and buying the three-year CDs instead of the six month ones. The rate is better, and once you get through the first couple of years, the yield is great.
Old 07-17-06, 10:04 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

is ian a guard or is it a mistake on the boxscore?

melzer is avg the most minutes and not filling the stat line. just like bruce?
Old 07-17-06, 10:08 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Ian needs to get that free throw % down or he wont have a chance at making the team this year.

I like his 5 offensive rebounds and his 2 steal. In addition he had a pretty good shooting night against prob sheldon williams who was known for his defense and rebounding.

He's going to play in France this upcoming season. He's not joining the Spurs this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehaviorDisorder
is ian a guard or is it a mistake on the boxscore?

melzer is avg the most minutes and not filling the stat line. just like bruce?

Ignore those summer league boxscores when it comes to players and positions, they have been doing that for years.
Old 07-17-06, 10:10 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Oh well, I guess I'll say it if no one else will:
"Fire Pop!"

Can't believe it took so long for that obligitory line to make it up.
Old 07-17-06, 10:21 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ro_50
He's going to play in France this upcoming season. He's not joining the Spurs this year.
I said that as a joke
Old 07-17-06, 10:51 PM
SpursReport Team Member

When will the Spurs play on NBA TV? Anyone have a schedule? It's freakin hard to find.
Old 07-17-06, 11:07 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Sanders was 1 for 13. Damn, did he get a lucky roll or something on the one made attempt.
Old 07-17-06, 11:20 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

ian is going to be a stud
Old 07-18-06, 12:33 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hantler

Quote:

The RMR gets played with a special no-foul-out rule, so Mahinmi really did have 8 fouls in 22 minutes.
Old 07-18-06, 12:51 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Ian seems to have a good summer league, that's a nice lil sunshine in the midst of bleak Spurs offseason.
Old 07-18-06, 12:56 AM
SpursReport Rookie

aww we lost to the Hawks again... i still have a bad taste in my mouth from that game we lost to them last season

Old 07-18-06, 01:01 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:

The 2006 NBA TV summer league schedule includes:

Monday, July 24 5 p.m. ET Dallas Mavericks at San Antonio Spurs
Wednesday, July 26 5 p.m. ET San Antonio Spurs at Atlanta Hawks
Saturday, July 29 8 p.m. ET Dallas Mavericks at San Antonio Spurs
Sunday, July 30 11 p.m. ET San Antonio Spurs at Utah Jazz
link (Spurs Summer Leagure games on NBATV)
Old 07-18-06, 02:25 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Andre Brown is the one who has played the most consistently (and impressively) through the first 3 games.
Old 07-18-06, 10:17 AM
Abominable snowballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurssheriff
Andre Brown is the one who has played the most consistently (and impressively) through the first 3 games.
what happened to him once?

he had the probably shortest nba-career in history of one game and 4 minutes for the Nets and disappeard.
once he was expected to be even a first round draft pick and was compared to K-Mart.
Old 07-18-06, 11:13 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
http://www.nba.com/media/jazz/06game8.pdf

Duke standout, Shelden Williams, has yet to get on track in this Rocky Mountain Revue as he’s only averaging four rebounds a game thus far.

http://www.nba.com/jazz/Revue/06game8.html
I predict another Duke bust.