News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 07-14-06, 04:29 PM
SpursReport Rookie

The Official Butler or Elson thread

In the grand tradition of Nazr or Rasho, I bring you the official Butler or Elson thread. This where you cast you're vote for your Center of choice. Be prepared to back up your arguments and start a flame war.

I vote for Elson because I really don't want a Center with a chick's first name. That plus he's taller.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-14-06, 05:09 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Elson. He's longer, more athletic, runs the floor well, isn't afraid to DUNK the ball hard, and with more minutes I think he can be a lot better than people are giving him credit for.
Old 07-14-06, 05:12 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Starting Center-Elson
Backup power foward to Duncan-Butler
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-14-06, 05:12 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I'll go with Butler. Reading Knicks fans' posts elsewhere, they truly believe Butler was better for them than either James or Curry, meaning their best center. He's young and has a good low post game as well as the ability to shoot from midrange.
Old 07-14-06, 05:22 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I'm feeling good about both of them now. Elson is an upgrade in the Center mobility department. And hearing that the scout that brought Butler to the Knicks from the CBA works for the Spurs now and thinking about how Larry Brown must have given Pop plenty of detailed info., sounds good. And I did like someone here's perspective that he's basically our first round draft pick. No worries.
Old 07-14-06, 05:26 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I say Elson start bc he has a little more experience in the dept seeing as how Marcus Camby is made of glass. Butler at backup and the better player to bang against bigger centers.

Maybe I am just a little more possitive than most people around here, but I like both of these guys. If they can be tough, catch the ball, dunk some, and play some solid help D, I will be very happy. I think that Rasho comming in was put in a position to fail bc everyone was wanting Robinsons replacement to be good. I think maybe we all still desire this, but the way I look at it is now we have Rahso and Nazrs replacement. That doesnt take nearly as much.
Old 07-14-06, 05:28 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Butler is a warrior. Besides the Center position isn't the focus of the offense. Think about it. The Spurs have Manu, Parker and Tim. Butler did more with less last year with a disfunctional Knicks Team (if you can call it that).

Elson is just a flier.

I am impressed with both pick ups if we get them. However, The Spurs still need to look for a quality Center to save Tim for the Playoffs.

Spurs fans- The Spurs will make the playoffs. We Need Healthy bodies to make it through to the end.
Old 07-14-06, 05:34 PM
SpursReport Rookie

just based on the fact that Elson can take a shot to the pills by KG, I'd say he gets the starting spot
Old 07-14-06, 05:34 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I'm gonna have to go with my gut instinct and say that Butler will be the center of our future.
Old 07-14-06, 05:45 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

I'd say Horry. Both will be back to freezer by playoffs time and Horry will start at center.
Old 07-14-06, 06:15 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

The main thing to me is that Elson is tough - maybe a little crazy - and will mix it up. We've had soft centers for way too long, and that has always placed a lot of pressure on Tim. We need a dude in there who will push people around and make them think when they enter that lane. Especially against panzy teams like Dallas.

I wish we had Elson last year to put Terry, Stackhouse, and Harris on their skinny behinds a time or two. As it was, Pop wasn't confident enough to even play our two centers. I still think it was a stupid coaching move on his part, but now that we have a quicker center in Elson, maybe Pop won't lose his mind on us again.
Old 07-14-06, 06:20 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I say Butler is the price, he has an inside game and that something the spurs had to go away from when Duncan was out of the line up. Nazr had no hands and therefore couldn't be trusted with lost post scoring. The team is an inside out so Butler is going to be a beast if the kincks don't match
Old 07-14-06, 06:27 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Slightly off-topic question - what day do the Nuggets and the Knicks have to match offer-sheets by?
Old 07-14-06, 06:28 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson50
I'd say Horry. Both will be back to freezer by playoffs time and Horry will start at center.
And everybody was being positive so far untill you!

Right now i'd say Elson cause of a little more experience. I like that both are a little more mobile than what we had with Rasho and Nazr, but by the mid part of the season i'd like to see Butler win the starting job cause of some aggressive play.
Old 07-14-06, 07:11 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKo
And everybody was being positive so far untill you!

Right now i'd say Elson cause of a little more experience. I like that both are a little more mobile than what we had with Rasho and Nazr, but by the mid part of the season i'd like to see Butler win the starting job cause of some aggressive play.
Quote:
silvernblackfan
True. But sometimes it's hard to be positive when Pop, being the good coach that he is, does the most retarded thing by going away from the lineup that get's you the franchises' best record, not to mention an NBA championship, to play into another coaches' hands everybody knows it should have been us in the finals, and not the sorry ass Mavericks.
Old 07-14-06, 07:20 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKo
... i'd like to see Butler win the starting job cause of some aggressive play.
You mean like an aggressive play in practice in which he "accidentally" disembowels Elson?

Chaikaroma.com
Old 07-14-06, 07:42 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Ughh.

Going from the Rasho-Nazr thread to this is like going from a discussion about steak vs. chicken to one over old herring vs. chopped liver.
Old 07-14-06, 07:54 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNate
Ughh.

Going from the Rasho-Nazr thread to this is like going from a discussion about steak vs. chicken to one over old herring vs. chopped liver.
Neither Rasho nor Nazr is steak ... both appeared chicken from time to time though....
Old 07-14-06, 11:56 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Lost at sea. Drink salt water or your own urine...so many choices...welcome to the Spurs Offseason.

No but seriously, given where we're at, I hope Butler arrives and does well. At this point, what other option do I have?
Old 07-15-06, 12:26 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNate
Ughh.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA NOOOOO!!!!!!
come one, i think honestly butler will be an improvement over rasho and narz(and so would have jak in my opinion) as for elson, maybe an improvement maybe not. id say rasho and narz are like hot dogs at a ball park and elson/butler are like hot dogs at the grocery store.... they are the same thing just one is a hell of a lot more expensive than the other

your analogy would work if we were comparing d rob with hakeem or ewing, not narz and RASHO!!!!
Old 07-15-06, 02:24 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairyhandedgent
Neither Rasho nor Nazr is steak ... both appeared chicken from time to time though....
ok, point taken. How about Chicken vs. The Other White Meat?
Old 07-15-06, 01:07 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
ok, point taken. How about Chicken vs. The Other White Meat?
I would prefere 2 different foul, like chicken and turkey.
Old 07-15-06, 01:48 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

The clock started Thursday because the league had to double check the contract language. The Knicks and Nuggets have until Wednesday to Match.

I say the answer is both! You know Pop will start them based ont he match ups. Unless one definately beats out the other. I think Elson will be better next to Timmy because he can shoot a jumper. Butler will give the Spurs a low post presence when Tim is on the bench.

I like how this could work out.