News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-06, 11:32 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Rich Melzer has secured a two-year NBA contract with the San Antonio Spurs.

Rich Melzer, one of the key players for the New Zealand Breakers, has secured a two-year NBA contract with the San Antonio Spurs.

The 26-year-old Melzer got his break after impressing in the Orlando Magic summer league and 10 days in camp with the Spurs last month.

Despite his good fortune, Melzer admitted to having mixed emotions because his heart was set on returning to New Zealand.

"I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited about being signed," he said.

"But at the same time I'm also a little saddened because I've been waiting to go back to the Breakers ever since I left after the last season.

"I attribute a lot of this success to Andrej, John and the team because I really believe I wasn't a professional ball player until my experiences in New Zealand.

"I'm really going to miss the team, but I'll try and do everyone proud and represent New Zealand and Australian basketball 100 percent," he said.

Melzer's good fortune has upset the planning for the Breakers.

Coach Andrej Lemanis said: "It's a great opportunity for Rich and we wish him every success.

"It's a positive reflection on our recruitment policy to see him make the NBA and it shows players can develop here as part of our programme and that we are a viable pathway to the big time.

"John Dorge worked extensively with the big men last season and Rich himself acknowledges that he's a better player because of that input."

Now that recruitment policy will be put to the test again as the Breakers look for a replacement.

"Rich not only knew our systems and culture, he is a talented player with unique skills and we need to determine the balance of our roster and sign a quality import that fits in with the make-up of the team," Lemanis said.

Melzer made his mark in the latter half of the season last year when the Breakers finished strongly.

He led the team is scoring, steals and blocked shots. He spent time with the Washington Wizards, Chicago Bulls as well as the Magic and Spurs before securing his contract.

Earlier in his career he led the Sioux Skyforce to the CBA Championship in 2005 and was the MVP in the finals when helping San Carlos to win the Dominican Republic League.

At school he finished as second on the all-time scoring list for Wisconsin-River Falls with 2363 points. He was the school's third-best rebounder with 821 boards and the all-time shot blocker with 186 rejections.

http://www.sportal.co.nz/basketball.asp?i=news&id=85429
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-13-06, 11:34 PM

What the.......?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-13-06, 11:37 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

http://www.nbl.com.au/default.aspx?s...le&profile=268

Has spent time with the Washington Wizards, Chicago Bulls and the Magic in the last two years … led the Sioux Falls Skyforce to the CBA Championship in 2005 … won a title with San Carlos in the Dominican Republic league and was voted MVP of the National Finals … named Division III Player of the Year by the NABC and the D-III News as a senior at college … earned First Team All-America honours from the NABC his junior and senior seasons … named All-WIAC his last three seasons and was named league MVP his final two years … finished career as the school’s second all-time leading scorer with 2,363 points, the third all-time leading rebounder with 821 boards, and the all-time leading shot-blocker with 186 rejections … averaged 19.0 points, 7.0 rebounds and 2.0 assists in his first season with the Breakers.

http://www.nbl.com.au/_content/playe...-thumbnail.jpg
Old 07-13-06, 11:37 PM
SpursReport Team Member

How good does your 15th man have to be????
Old 07-13-06, 11:41 PM
SpursReport Rookie

is it a garanteed contract?
Old 07-13-06, 11:43 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Possible replacement for bruce?
Old 07-13-06, 11:44 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

THIS PUTS THEM IN THE TAX RIGHT IF NEW YORK and DENVER MATCH RIGHT
SOMETHING IS BREWING!
Old 07-13-06, 11:45 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

How tall is 203 cm? Another big man?
Old 07-13-06, 11:46 PM

This reminds me of a movie....what's it called? Oh yeah, "Major League", anyone else here think the Spurs are trying to screw the next season over?
Old 07-13-06, 11:46 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

6-foot-8 long small forward
Old 07-13-06, 11:47 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

So why didn't our local sports writers break this story???
Old 07-13-06, 11:49 PM
SpursReport Rookie

we had to replace Sean Marks with another Aussie.....I mean, can't mess with team chemistry and all.
Old 07-13-06, 11:53 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Here is a funny story I found about him.

http://www.fredericksburg.com/News/F...inter_friendly

Arenas shoots for maturity
November 3, 2004 1:06 am
By ADAM HIMMELSBACH

RICHMOND--Gilbert Arenas was in the mood to win some cash.

He wasn't looking for much, but it's not the amount that counts. After all, the guy is signed to a $65 million contract.

With the Washington Wizards point guard, it's more about competition than currency.

Arenas likes to win and likes to have something to show for it. And after a recent preseason practice, the charming 22-year-old was in the mood to compete.

Most of the other Wizards wanted to plop their aching muscles into the nearest sauna or ice tub. But Arenas' court appearance was far from over.

Equal parts eccentric and electric, the 6-foot-3 gunner took a basketball in his big hands and started firing jumpers through a net at Virginia Commonwealth University's Siegel Center.

Arenas wanted more. Simply pitting him against a basket is like pitting a dog against a chew toy.

Rich Melzer, a soon-to-be-cut rookie, took the bait, and soon he and Arenas were locked in an IOU shootout.

They started slowly--five bucks a shot.

With an iPod tucked in his shorts and one headphone dangling from his right ear, Arenas turned the contest into a no-contest.

He hit shots from everywhere in every way. He started kissing them off the glass, and Melzer's basketball bill mushroomed.

"No more bank shots," the rookie said.

"That's what I do," Arenas chimed back, hitting another one.

Melzer had seen enough, and he ceded the floor to veteran Samaki Walker after losing $40.

"Now we're playing for Laker money," Arenas said with a smile, gesturing toward Walker, who played for Los Angeles last season.

After an awesome five-minute display by Arenas, Walker walked away, shaking his head in disbelief.

A visitor asked Arenas how much money he had taken from his mates.

"Four hundred dollars," he proudly said through the corner of his mouth. "But don't tell anybody."

There's never been a doubt that Arenas' competitive fire burns as strong as anyone's in the ultra-competitive NBA.

It's also become clear, however, that Arenas can be unaccountable, unknowing, and at times, immature.

He's been suspended for tonight's season-opener against the Memphis Grizzlies because he failed to properly register a handgun when he moved to Washington last year.

If the Wizards are to make the playoffs for the second time since 1988, they'll need Arenas to leave his distracting behavior behind and focus on basketball.

"We let him know that he needs to run our team," Wizards guard Larry Hughes said. "He needs to have everybody on the same page and we'll back him, but at the same time he needs to lead us and do it the right way."

By last season's end, Arenas had compiled a laundry list of transgressions.

In a game against the Cleveland Cavaliers in November he tossed a ball into the stands at halftime and was benched for the third quarter by coach Eddie Jordan.

During a tilt against the Orlando Magic in December, Arenas was sitting on the bench nursing a pulled abdominal muscle--he missed 27 games with injuries last year--when he was ejected for arguing a call.

Jordan sat Arenas for the start of a game in January because he was playing pool in the team lounge and missed the pregame shootaround.

In February, Wizards forward Kwame Brown complained that Arenas was being too selfish. During the team's following game at Toronto, Arenas didn't take a shot for the first 43 minutes.

The tumult continued to the final week of the season.

Arenas missed the team's flight to Detroit for the Wizards' next-to-last game of the year. He also missed the shootaround before the final game of the year, blaming a traffic jam.

"That was young behavior, as you call it," Arenas said during training camp. "I'm past that. I grew up a lot this offseason watching game tape and seeing my peers win championships."

Arenas says he played basketball twice a day all summer. He spent two months at the Athletes Performance Center in Carson, Calif., working on his strength and conditioning. He's hoping the training regimen will help him avoid injuries this season.

The abdominal strain and ankle injury that forced Arenas to miss a combined 27 games last year also hindered his performance when he was able to play.

While he averaged a team-high 19.6 points per game, he shot just 39 percent from the floor. He also committed 4.1 turnovers per contest, second worst in the NBA.

"Once I got hurt it was just a dogfight trying to get back," he said. "I wasn't as comfortable as I usually am shooting the ball because I was in such a hurry to get everything back."

Despite the occasional calamity, Arenas showed flashes of all-star talent. He scored a season-high 40 points against Orlando on March 10. He made eight three-pointers against the Lakers on Feb. 28.

"Gilbert is a competitor; we always know what we'll get in that area," Jordan said. "He's the guy that stirs the drink."

Jordan says he expects Arenas to be more comfortable running the team's Princeton-style motion offense this season.

A scorer by nature, Arenas held the ball too often last year in the scheme that's based on constant picks and passes. This season, Arenas says, he'll have more confidence that if he passes the ball, he'll get it back.

"It's a hard thing for him," Jordan said. "It's going to take some time for him to get that role down."

There will be times when Hughes or Steve Blake will be at point guard, shifting Arenas over to his more natural shooting guard slot.

Arenas says it doesn't matter where he plays. He says he's matured immeasurably in the past few months, and plans to be more focused on the task at hand.

"They're going to see a 180-degree turnaround," Arenas said. "They're not going to think I'm an angel or anything, but it's going to be much different than last year."

To reach ADAM HIMMELSBACH: 540/374-5442 [email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks
6-foot-8 long small forward
The comparisons between Melzer and George are obvious because they both come from Division Three. The 6-8 native of Minnesota scored 26.9 ppg and 8.5 rpg this past season for the University of Wisconsin-River Falls. He participated in the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament, scoring 11 points in his first game before injuring his hip. Melzer has a big 7'2" arm span, and appears to be more developed than George was at this time. Even if Melzer does not get drafted, he will most certainly have be invited to many NBA training camps

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/Draft/mailbag050404.htm
Old 07-13-06, 11:58 PM
Moderator & Chatroom Greeter

FINALLY!!!
Spurs FO saved the day

PS:

PS2: DAVYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!
[email protected]
Old 07-14-06, 12:00 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHENEA
FINALLY!!!
Spurs FO saved the day
AAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-14-06, 12:01 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Is this a guaranteed or non-guaranteed contract?
Old 07-14-06, 12:01 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Spurs are getting a $5 gift certificate to McDonalds for every foreign player they sign or draft....
Old 07-14-06, 12:02 AM
Moderator & Chatroom Greeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazydavy
AAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[email protected]
Old 07-14-06, 12:04 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I'd never heard of him. Did a search and came up with this 2003 article :

Rich Melzer hopes to attracts NBA notice
By Chris Monter
Date: Feb 13, 2003

Los Angeles Laker forward Devean George became the first Division III player to be selected in the first round when he was the 23rd pick in the 1999 NBA draft. Rich Melzer of Wisconsin River Falls is hoping to become the second Midwest player to hear his name announced of draft night next season. Melzer is the second leading scorer in Division III, averaging 27.5 points per game.

I watched Rich Melzer play Wednesday night as he had 29 points and eleven rebounds in the Falcons’ 62-56 win over Wisconsin Superior. He was ten of 22 from the field and nine of twelve from the line. The Falcons improved to 14-9 overall and 8-6 in conference play. He previously scored 54 points against UW-Lacrosse.

Melzer played at Minneapolis (MN) Washburn before transferring to River Falls (WI) High after his sophomore season. His family thought the move would help him as he had been hanging around the bad element in the Twin Cities.

“It turned my life around. I stayed with strict relatives, but it was a turning point in my life. They made sure that I minded my P’s and Q’s.”

Wisconsin River Falls is a member of the Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference. Melzer feels that playing in the WIAC is not the negative that some observers might think.

“I think that WIAC is very competitive conference. There are plenty of good players in the league. I’d take playing here over some of the low Division I schools.”

Melzer had some looks from other UW schools, Southwest State and North Dakota. However, subpar academics and the ability to play close to his family and friends made him choose River Falls.

Melzer is an athletic player who runs the floor well. He has a good shooting touch and has three-point range. However, the Falcons need him to play closer to the basket, so he has attempted just three three-pointers all season. He is shooting 56.7% from the field and 72.7% from the line. Melzer is averaging 9.4 rebounds and 2.3 assists per game.

He needs to continue to get stronger and developed a mid-range jumper. Melzer has a good wingspan and can block shots. He needs to continue work on his explosiveness.

Melzer played last summer in the Howard Pulley Summer League alongside current junior Mike Bauer of Minnesota, which he felt has helped his game this season. His summer league coach, Ed Owens, also coached Devean George in the summer league. Owens feels that Melzer is more advanced than George at a similar stage.

Melzer wants to work on his defense and becoming more of a team leader during the offseason.

His leadership will be important next season as the Falcons return nine of their top ten players, including six juniors. Wisconsin River Falls has not won a conference title in 52 years.

River Falls head coach Rick Bowen, the winningest coach in school history, says that Melzer is the best player he has coached with the Falcons in his 17 years with the program. Bowen was previously an assistant at Wisconsin andBall State.

Melzer said that he might put his name into the NBA Draft, but not attend the Chicago pre-draft camp. That would allow him to work out for teams, most likely Midwest squads and get feedback from scouts. This would give more recognition as a senior and put him on NBA teams’ radar.

“If it’s a good idea, why not. Any card I get, I’ll deal with it.”

Melzer is hoping that the cards he is dealt will get him a chance to be the second Division III player drafted in last six years.

http://collegebasketballnews.scout.com/2/93465.html
Old 07-14-06, 12:05 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

I bet the aussie posters are sleeping.....
Old 07-14-06, 12:07 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks
I bet the aussie posters are sleeping.....
its 2 in the afternoon there, Ducks
Old 07-14-06, 12:08 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

my bad I thought they were 8 hours ahead
Old 07-14-06, 12:08 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

He's the next Charles Smith.
Old 07-14-06, 12:18 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Here we go again! We are almost at the point where you will here: "MEEEEET Your San Antonio SPURSSSSS!"
Old 07-14-06, 12:20 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

6'8" SF with athleticism. Hmm..........
Old 07-14-06, 12:26 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR
Kiwis = Aussies = Championships?
Melzer's an American.
Old 07-14-06, 12:29 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
He's an honorary Kiwi.
Yep
Old 07-14-06, 12:32 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
He's an honorary Kiwi.
Old 07-14-06, 12:35 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amente
from the article:

" Vaughn, who signed a one-year contract for the league minimum, will compete with Beno Udrih for the backup point-guard job."

Gawd. I hope not.
Just give the friggin backup job to Beno.
Hmmm....could he be another AK47???

Haha....wishful thinking...
Old 07-14-06, 12:38 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

He's an interesting project to work with for the next 2 years. Thats pretty much what I get from reading about him that he has the tools to be a solid player.
Old 07-14-06, 12:44 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

http://nzbreakers.co.nz/?s=newsdisplay&aid=5661
Melzer makes NBA
FRIDAY, JULY 14, 2006 - 11:43 AM

The New Zealand Breakers are on the hunt for a new import after American Rich Melzer realised a lifelong dream in securing an NBA contract for the coming season.

The 26-year-old signed a two-year contract on Thursday with the San Antonio Spurs after impressing in the Orlando Magic summer league and spending 10 days in camp with the Spurs last month.

Breakers coach Andrej Lemanis is thrilled for Melzer personally, but admits the Minnesota native’s effort has complicated the coaching staff’s planning.

“Wow, it’s a great opportunity for Rich and we wish him every success,” Lemanis said. “It’s a positive reflection on our recruitment policy to see him make the NBA and it shows players can develop here as part of our program and that we are a viable pathway to the big time. John Dorge worked extensively with the big men last season and Rich himself acknowledges that he’s a better player because of that input.

“Now we have to evaluate our options in securing a replacement. Rich not only knew our systems and culture, he is a talented player with unique skills and we need to determine the balance of our roster and sign a quality import that fits in with the make-up of the team.”

Melzer says he has mixed emotions about the NBA contract because his heart was set on returning to New Zealand.

“I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t excited about being signed, but at the same time I’m also a little saddened because I’ve been waiting to go back to the Breakers ever since I left after the last season,” Melzer said.

“I attribute a lot of this success to Andrej, John and the team because I really believe I wasn’t a professional ball player until my experiences in New Zealand.

“Man, I’m really going to miss the team, but I’ll try and do everyone proud and represent New Zealand and Australian basketball one hundred per cent.”
Old 07-14-06, 12:47 AM
SpursReport Rookie

This must have been decided at least 2 days ago, as all of sudden Melzer got DNPs for the Orlando summer league squad starting 7/12.

2 games prior were ok:
18 min 10 pt 2 rb 5 fouls
23 min 5 pt 2 rb 5 fouls
Old 07-14-06, 01:02 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by pressurez
This must have been decided at least 2 days ago, as all of sudden Melzer got DNPs for the Orlando summer league squad starting 7/12.

2 games prior were ok:
18 min 10 pt 2 rb 5 fouls
23 min 5 pt 2 rb 5 fouls

the guy didnt fill up the box scores but he played a lot of minutes. i wonder if he's a hell of a defender?

hmmm bruce bowen clone?

Last edited by BehaviorDisorder; 07-14-06 at 01:05 AM.
Old 07-14-06, 01:05 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Old 07-14-06, 01:08 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

WHO?
Old 07-14-06, 01:10 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

2-year contract. He must be really good, we usually don't give that to unproven summer league players.
Old 07-14-06, 01:13 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson50
2-year contract. He must be really good, we usually don't give that to unproven summer league players.

Damn did RC do it AGAIN?

france
argentina
kiwi?
lithuania
the virgin isle
mars
venus
Old 07-14-06, 01:15 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

He's 6' 8", long, and athletic. So he fills a need. And he's obviously cheap. Let's hope he develops.

Maybe Orlando is keeping Ariza now that Melzer is gone.

Don't you know the rest of the FOs in the league are going, "What's San Antonio doing ? Are they looking at the same guys we're looking at ?"
Old 07-14-06, 01:15 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Here's some info from his 2004 draft page:

http://www.nba.com/draft2004/profiles/RichMelzer.html

Career Highlights: Named Division III Player of the Year by the NABC and the D-III News as a senior. Earned First Team All-America honors from the NABC his junior and senior seasons. Named All-WIAC his last three seasons and was named league MVP his final two years. Finished career as the school’s second all-time leading scorer with 2,363 points, the third all-time leading rebounder with 821 boards, and the all-time leading shot-blocker with 186 rejections. Sat out the 1999-2000 season at Wisconsin-River Falls as a redshirt.

Senior (2003-04): Ranked fourth in the nation in scoring (26.9 ppg) and led the team in rebounding (8.5 rpg). Ranked second in the WIAC in rebounding and fourth in field goal percentage and set a single-season conference record for total points in league games. Set season highs with 37 points and 14 rebounds at Puget Sound. Recorded 34 points and 14 rebounds against North Central. Registered 36 points at Wisconsin-Whitewater. Scored 29 points and grabbed 12 rebounds against Wisconsin-Superior. Tallied 25 points, eight rebounds, and a season-high five assists against Wisconsin-Stevens Point. Led team to its first WIAC Championship since 1950.

Junior (2002-03): Ranked second in the nation in scoring (28.1 ppg). Exploded for career-high 54 points while also grabbing a season-high 16 rebounds against Wisconsin-LaCrosse. Scored 34 points and grabbed 14 rebounds against Wisconsin-Stout. Tallied 39 points and 13 rebounds at Wisconsin-Eau Claire. Recorded 35 points and 10 rebounds against Marian. Scored 33 points against Wisconsin-Eau Claire in the WIAC Tournament.

Sophomore (2001-02): Averaged a team-leading 21.6 points (second in the conference) and 7.8 rebounds (third). Led the WIAC in blocked shots. Scored season-high 39 points against Wisconsin-Superior. Posted six double-doubles, including a 38-point, career-high 19-rebound performance against Wisconsin-Whitewater. Named the team’s co-MVP.

Freshman (2000-01): Averaged 16.4 points and 5.8 rebounds. Named Honorable Mention All-WIAC.

Strengths: Polished offensive player with the ability to step back and shoot or take it strong and draw fouls.

Personal: Majoring in health and human performance and business.
Old 07-14-06, 01:20 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Is this really the signing of RichB?

:richb
Old 07-14-06, 01:21 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
we had to replace Sean Marks with another Aussie.....I mean, can't mess with team chemistry and all.
i take it as an insult that you categorised Sean Marks as an australian. He is a New Zealander

but melzer did play well for the breakers
there was a bit of hype that he could turn the franchise around

led the team in points steals blocks and 3rd in rebounds
Old 07-14-06, 01:24 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Remember these type of contracts could be non-guaranteed. Romain Sato got one, Chris Carrawell did as well.

I think, if this report is true, could be one of those training camp two year contracts.
Old 07-14-06, 01:29 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Yea, we haven't heard any "local" reports on the signing. It could be a non-guarantee contract.

You do realize that if he is signed, we may not hear a peep out of the FO until the 7 day waiting period for Butler and Elson is over. (Unless there is a trade.)

What will we do with all that free time?
Old 07-14-06, 01:32 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Location: The capital of Texas...that's right...Sunset Valley

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehaviorDisorder
Damn did RC do it AGAIN?

france
argentina
kiwi?
lithuania
the virgin isle
mars
venus
Did the Spurs sign Kang and Kodos too?

"Married men live longer. Yes. And an indoor cat also lives longer. It's a furball with a broken spirit, that can only look out on a world it can never enjoy. But it does technically live longer." - Bill Maher
Old 07-14-06, 01:56 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I'm seriously thinking this is a summmer league player only. He also might ride the inactive list for awhile before getting cut. I just don't see the point in randomly signing this player.
Old 07-14-06, 02:02 AM
SpursReport Team Member

If he is from NZ, maybe he will play for sheep.....isn't that the currency on the island.
Old 07-14-06, 02:10 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

These are his personal stats from the summer league roster.

Quote:
PLAYER POS HT WT DOB COLLEGE NBA YEARS

Rich Melzer F 6-8 225 12/8/79 Wisconsin River Falls R

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/rmrroster_060711.html
Old 07-14-06, 02:27 AM
SpursReport Team Member

This just in - The Spurs just contacted me to see if I was available.
Old 07-14-06, 02:29 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehaviorDisorder
the guy didnt fill up the box scores but he played a lot of minutes. i wonder if he's a hell of a defender?

hmmm bruce bowen clone?

That dude has freakishly long arms. Looks a little like Danny Manning to me.
Old 07-14-06, 02:30 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedblacknsilva
This just in - The Spurs just contacted me to see if I was available.

do they need more beer vendors?