News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-06, 12:56 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Spurs/Golden State Trade Rumor?

Is it gone or is it just my computer?????????????????
Old 07-10-06, 12:57 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

As I was posting there...

Golden State, through the Utah trade, does not have enough expiring contracts to give Al Harrington the amount of money he wants per year (Devin is $2.6M and Keith McLeod is $1.35M), so San Antonio gets involved by throwing in Eric Williams ($4.29M).

GSW, as reward for enabling them to get their guy in Al Harrington, throws Mikael Pietrus San Antonio's way.

The deal works for Atlanta - they can't sign decent players while offering only 1 season, they dump lots of salary next season. This year's practically a punt for them, anyway, since they need to retain their Top 3 protected draft pick in the 2007 draft (otherwise Phoenix gets it).
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-10-06, 12:57 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Since there is an article in the LA Times, can someone post it? I am not registered.
Old 07-10-06, 12:58 AM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by l=w

Golden State, through the Utah trade, does not have enough expiring contracts to give Al Harrington the amount of money he wants per year (Devin is $2.6M and Keith McLeod is $1.35M), so San Antonio gets involved by throwing in Eric Williams ($4.29M).

GSW, as reward for enabling them to get their guy in Al Harrington, throws Mikael Pietrus San Antonio's way.

The deal works for Atlanta - they can't sign decent players while offering only 1 season, they dump lots of salary next season. This year's practically a punt for them, anyway, since they need to retain their Top 3 protected draft pick in the 2007 draft (otherwise Phoenix gets it).
Did you get this from somewhere or are u speculating?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-10-06, 12:59 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I thought that Atlanta couldn't do any trades at all unless the trade was already in the works before this happened.
Old 07-10-06, 01:00 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by l=w

i like pietrus also but.........

gs has a lot of bigs on their team that are taking up space. foyle, beidrens, murphy, and even dunleavy.

knowing that the spurs are short of centers they may want to sucker the spurs with

FOYLE
Old 07-10-06, 01:02 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amente
Did you get this from somewhere or are u speculating?
Just a wild guess.
Old 07-10-06, 01:02 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARIO
I thought that Atlanta couldn't do any trades at all unless the trade was already in the works before this happened.
They are limited. See following link for details. http://www.spursreport.com/forums/sh...ighlight=hawks (Court decision definitely hurts plan to deal Al Harrington)
Old 07-10-06, 01:03 AM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

or is all this part of the AI to Boston, Harrington to GS, Atlanta rumor?

Los Angeles Times - The early bids are in for Allen Iverson and the Los Angeles Times reportedly has the details.

Boston is offering Al Jefferson, Gerald Green, Sebastian Telfair, or anyone but Paul Pierce), Atlanta is offering Josh Smith, Marvin Williams and/or Al Harrington) and Golden State is offering any combination of three players.

http://www.latimes.com/services/site...ered.intercept
Old 07-10-06, 01:04 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spUrpenguin3000
what?!?!?!?! am i tripping out?!?!?!?!
I feel like I am...time to go to bed I guess. Maybe DizzG can shed some light as to what happened to our thread.
SpursReport Team Member

Amente, what do you know that you're not telling us?
SpursReport Rookie

this thread is stupid. is this rumor or someone's fantasy world?
Old 07-10-06, 01:05 AM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steefposton
Amente, what do you know that you're not telling us?
no.
I am trying to find out what the rumor actually is since ESPN is the one
that started this story.
Old 07-10-06, 01:05 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Okay...title has been changed yet again. Gone is the part that says "What happened to our...."

Am I in the freaking Twilight Zone or what????
Old 07-10-06, 01:06 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornonmyankle
this thread is stupid. is this rumor or someone's fantasy world?
My fantasy is getting Pietrus for Eric Williams, so yes, this is my fantasy world.
Old 07-10-06, 01:07 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

How do you think I feel since I started the thread of "What happened...?"
Old 07-10-06, 01:08 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I'm not seeing anything on espn.com. Does ANYONE know what the rumor is? What are we basing this on? Why are the threads disappearing, mutating??????
Old 07-10-06, 01:09 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousspirit
How do you think I feel since I started the thread of "What happened...?"
Usually these things are addressed. Now this time it isn't. So, I guess I will go to bed since what we were actively discussing is now gone. Wiped out like it doesn't exist. :richb (This is a situation that calls for RichB)
Old 07-10-06, 01:09 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
I'm not seeing anything on espn.com. Does ANYONE know what the rumor is? What are we basing this on? Why are the threads disappearing, mutating??????
I'm not sure there was even an actual rumor or a basis for one.
Old 07-10-06, 01:10 AM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Wasn't from ESPN.com. FRom the network I guess.

I received an email from someone asking about a rumor of a multi-team trade involving GS and SA.
Another poster said that he heard part of it on ESPN and then tonight one of the local stations repeated the same rumor mentioning a blockbuster trade and that GS and SA were rumored to be involved.

I only came on here tonight to ask if anyone had heard of the rumor and what the details might be.
Old 07-10-06, 01:11 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by l=w

Doesn't make much sense, unless I'm reading it wrong... Is this what you're saying?
GSW gets Harrington, sends Pietrus
San Antonio gets Pietrus, sends Williams
Atlanta gets Williams, sends Harrington
That trade doesn't work salary-wise from either GSW or San Antonio's perspective, since they both would be getting more than 125% + 100K of what they're sending (waaaay more in GSW case).

And why would Atlanta do this? What salary are they dumping, if Harrington is coming off the books anyway? As a matter of fact, they'd be commiting to 5M more in payroll for next year, with nothing to show for it.

Unless there is something I'm missing, I don't see how that trade works for any of the parties involved.

EDIT: Works from San Antonio's part, it's GSW's that doesn't work. Sorry, got the salaries mixed up.
fleetwood macbull (from a Bulls' board), on Andrés "Chapu" Nocioni: "Noc is like that guy from Monty Python. They can cut off his arms, his hands, his feet, then his legs, but he still comes rolling his torso at you like he's going to destroy you"

Last edited by mg06; 07-10-06 at 01:14 AM.
SpursReport Team Member

What happened to the sportstalk WOAI thread?
SpursReport Rookie

Spurs getting Pietrus for nothing (Williams) would be heaven!
Old 07-10-06, 01:13 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l=w
I'm not sure there was even an actual rumor or a basis for one.
To repeat this yet again...there were two reports tonight. The first on ESPN. The second on KSAT. Apparently there is a "blockbuster" trade involving GS and possibly Devin Brown, and the Spurs were mentioned. Apparently, there are other teams...but those weren't mentioned. KSAT called it a blockbuster. ESPN did not.

Got it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SOTEX
What happened to the sportstalk WOAI thread?
Maybe if enough of us ask, they might actually tell us. Notice it is wiped out completely. Even from the history of all our other posts. Too freaking weird. Someone must be afraid of something....
Old 07-10-06, 01:14 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

But why would anyone here be afraid if there is an article on it in the LA Times and it was already mentioned in the national and local media????
Old 07-10-06, 01:15 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifelongSpursFan

Maybe if enough of us ask, they might actually tell us. Notice it is wiped out completely. Even from the history of all our other posts. Too freaking weird. Someone must be afraid of something....
Yeah, I'm afraid of us getting stuck with Foyle's contract!
Old 07-10-06, 01:16 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousspirit
But why would anyone here be afraid if there is an article on it in the LA Times and it was already mentioned in the national and local media????
I have no idea...but obviously the obvious is being ignored and thread titles are being changed again and yet again. This time they didn't lock it. Just deleted it like it didn't exist. Who knows? This thread might be gone in an hour.
Old 07-10-06, 01:17 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I'm thinking KSAT was just reporting the Golden State/Utah trade that involved Devin Brown and being a San Antonio station they also brought up the Spurs and the latest on their offseason. Just a misunderstanding. Not sure what to make about ESPN reporting it however.

If for some reason this trade did go through the Spurs would be stacked at their swingman spot. Ginobili/Finley/Barry/Pietrus/Sanders.

Barry would probably continue to get shopped around with the Spurs willing to receive less than they would be before. The Spurs still would need a center which I'm hoping right now is their number priority instead of swingmen.

Last edited by Dark Deity; 07-10-06 at 01:21 AM.
Old 07-10-06, 01:18 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by To be named later
Guys.....can we stop asking "who, what, why, where, when my thread?" questions and instead focus on this rumored trade?
Old 07-10-06, 01:18 AM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifelongSpursFan
I have no idea...but obviously the obvious is being ignored and thread titles are being changed again and yet again. This time they didn't lock it. Just deleted it like it didn't exist. Who knows? This thread might be gone in an hour.

see what happens when you make Pop a mod.
Old 07-10-06, 01:20 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
I thought they couldn't trade Williams untill Aug, since he was acquired by a trade?
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Deity
I'm thinking KSAT was just reporting the Golden State/Utah trade that involved Devin Brown and being a San Antonio station they also brought up the Spurs and the latest on their offseason. Just a misunderstanding. Not sure what to make about ESPN reporting it however.
Not exactly...as explained in the last thread, they specifically mentioned SA was part of the deal as was GS with them dealing Devin Brown. But Devin Brown would more than likely not be returning to SA.
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Deity
It's apparent that ESPN reported it first and since KSAT is an ABC/ESPN affiilate they tend to repeat what ESPN reports.
SpursReport Rookie

Anybody know any good GS boards to see if they are discussing? It's 2 hours earlier there.
Old 07-10-06, 01:22 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
No kidding...starting over after 4 pages. Makes a whole lot of sense to me.
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Anybody know any good GS boards to see if they are discussing? It's 2 hours earlier there.
coyote_geek said all they were discussing was the Harrington from ATL rumors.
Mr. Brightside

wat is up yos!!!!!! i lost 2 posts!!!!!!!!!
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by To be named later
I would suspect several threads got started at the same time, and this is the one chosen to go forward and discuss it, so.....let's discuss it.
But... but... what are we discussing?

At least with the supposed thread deletion, I figured what the issue was... here, I'm still wondering what it is we're discussing...

anybody? hello?
fleetwood macbull (from a Bulls' board), on Andrés "Chapu" Nocioni: "Noc is like that guy from Monty Python. They can cut off his arms, his hands, his feet, then his legs, but he still comes rolling his torso at you like he's going to destroy you"
Old 07-10-06, 01:23 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
There was reference to it on the last thread. But I can't remember who was monitoring those boards. But they had some comments as well.
Old 07-10-06, 01:23 AM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

I also found the LA Times story from today discussing the Iverson, Philly, Boston, Atl and GS
trade rumor.
Old 07-10-06, 01:24 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orly
I thought they couldn't trade Williams untill Aug, since he was acquired by a trade?
i believe he can be, just as long as he is not packaged with anyone else. if i am wrong feel free to correct me.
Old 07-10-06, 01:25 AM
SpursReport Rookie

How desperate are we for a Spurs trade or FA signing???
Old 07-10-06, 01:26 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Does it show?
Mr. Brightside

Quote:
too desperate for words
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg06
Doesn't make much sense, unless I'm reading it wrong... Is this what you're saying?
GSW gets Harrington, sends Pietrus
San Antonio gets Pietrus, sends Williams
Atlanta gets Williams, sends Harrington
That trade doesn't work salary-wise from either GSW or San Antonio's perspective, since they both would be getting more than 125% + 100K of what they're sending (waaaay more in GSW case).

And why would Atlanta do this? What salary are they dumping, if Harrington is coming off the books anyway? As a matter of fact, they'd be commiting to 5M more in payroll for next year, with nothing to show for it.

Unless there is something I'm missing, I don't see how that trade works for any of the parties involved.

EDIT: Works from San Antonio's part, it's GSW's that doesn't work. Sorry, got the salaries mixed up.
I haven't checked it all the way around. Harrington winds up making something like $8M/yr.

Atlanta gets Devin Brown, McLeod, and Eric Williams. They're the sticking point here. I guess it works only out of the kindness of their hearts, to get Harrington his well-deserved money. Three things to sweeten it for them: 1) Brown can be waived and he only gets a fraction of his contract, 2) Golden State sends some money their way to defray more cost, and 3) GSW sends them a draft pick or two.

Rough estimate -- SAS gives up Williams ($4.3M salary), gets back a little less (now at $2.5M).
GSW give up Pietrus, Brown, McLeod ($6.6M) and get back Harrington (~$8M)
Atlanta get Brown, McLeod, Williams (~$8M) and give up Harrington (~$8M).

I may be looking at it wrong, but all it needs is a low-salary player from GSW to go to SAS in order to work, if that.
Old 07-10-06, 01:29 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by l=w

Rough estimate -- SAS gives up Williams ($4.3M salary), gets back a little less (now at $2.5M).

I may be looking at it wrong, but all it needs is a low-salary player from GSW to go to SAS in order to work, if that.
Spurs probably throw in the 2nd round pick we just acquired from the Bucks.
Old 07-10-06, 01:32 AM
Mr. Brightside

is this gonna be one of those mass chaos threads?
Old 07-10-06, 01:32 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Spurs probably throw in the 2nd round pick we just acquired from the Bucks.
The problem with this scenario (among others) is that Eric Williams cannot be traded in conjunction with anything at all - until next month.

Of course, they can add sweeteners after that point.
Old 07-10-06, 01:33 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by l=w
I haven't checked it all the way around. Harrington winds up making something like $8M/yr.

Atlanta gets Devin Brown, McLeod, and Eric Williams. They're the sticking point here. I guess it works only out of the kindness of their hearts, to get Harrington his well-deserved money. Three things to sweeten it for them: 1) Brown can be waived and he only gets a fraction of his contract, 2) Golden State sends some money their way to defray more cost, and 3) GSW sends them a draft pick or two.

Why does Golden State send Utah's players? Don't Brown and McLeod play for Utah? Am I missing something? also, why does Atlanta take back 8M in garbage contracts?

I'm totally lost here, guys...
Old 07-10-06, 01:33 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Several threads weren't started at the same time...there was one thread up...it was the WOAI/Sports Sunday/Don Harris/Mike Monroe thread..that was the only thread about the subject.