News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-06, 09:33 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Ainge wants NBA to change the rules of priorities in the draft

Season-ending loss irks Ainge: Boston Celtics boss Danny Ainge remembers the Wolves' last regular-season game well.

Wolves forward Mark Madsen missed all seven three-pointers he attempted, including six in two overtime periods, as the Wolves lost to Memphis in a game that had NBA draft lottery implications. The Wolves needed to lose to guarantee having a first-round pick in the June 28 draft.

Under conditions of a trade last summer with the Los Angeles Clippers, the Wolves were guaranteed to keep their first-round draft pick if that pick was in the top 10. Losing the finale meant Minnesota kept its pick. In addition, the Wolves shut down Kevin Garnett and Ricky Davis for the last 10 days of the season.

"I think the way that the NBA has the rules of priorities in the draft, I think they kind of set themselves up for that," Ainge said after a summer league practice. "I think there needs to be some changed policies, personally. That's my feeling, so those kind of things don't happen, so fans don't get cheated."

Ainge said he has an idea for a policy change that might prevent similar situations in the future, but he declined to discuss it publicly.

"That was obviously as ugly as it gets in that last game," Ainge said. "But I thought there were a lot of (ugly) games, including our own games, so I'm not pointing fingers at any team. I just think it was not a good situation last year."

NBA Commissioner David Stern said after the season that he didn't have a problem with the Wolves' use, or lack thereof, of Garnett and Davis. Wolves coach Dwane Casey said he wasn't trying to disrespect the game of basketball and that Madsen's three-point barrage was all in good fun.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/pionee...s/14992609.htm
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-09-06, 09:39 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Wolves coach Dwane Casey said he wasn't trying to disrespect the game of basketball and that Madsen's three-point barrage was all in good fun.
Some would describe it as "good fun" while others would describe it as an abomination.
Old 07-09-06, 09:11 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Yeah, it wasn't funny at all. Madsen already is funny...he doesn't need anymore to jack up threes.
Old 07-09-06, 11:34 PM
MomBear

I've said it before and I will always say this...
WHO GIVES A **** WHAT DANNY ******* AINGE HAS TO SAY!!!!!!
**** him!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!