News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-06, 02:16 PM
SpursReport Team Member

LeBron to sign five-year, $80 million extension

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2513416

CLEVELAND -- LeBron James won't be leaving home anytime soon.

Cleveland's All-Star forward accepted a five-year contract extension worth about $80 million from the Cavaliers on Saturday, a huge relief for the rising team and its fretting fans who worried he might be planning an escape.

James, who in three seasons as a pro has turned the Cavaliers from doormats into a playoff team, will sign the deal once the league's moratorium ends Wednesday, said his agent Leon Rose.

"I am very excited and happy to be re-signing with the Cavaliers. Staying in Cleveland ... provides me with the unique opportunity to continue to play in front of my family, friends and fans," James said in a statement released by his publicist. "I look forward to working toward bringing a championship to our great fans and the city of Cleveland."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-08-06, 02:17 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

No big surprise, but Cav fans should be breathing a lot easier today.

And hopefully this news will also keep anyone else from starting another Lebron to SA thread..............
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-08-06, 02:18 PM
SpursReport Team Member

does that mean hes not signing with the spurs next year?
Old 07-08-06, 02:19 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

what a drama queen
Old 07-08-06, 02:24 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks
what a drama queen
Was duncan a drama queen when he explored his options?
Old 07-08-06, 02:27 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Cavs fans can sleep tonight, good for Lebron.
Old 07-08-06, 02:40 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairyhandedgent
Was duncan a drama queen when he explored his options?
Didnt he take that trip to Orlando when they were recuiting him and Grant Hill?
Old 07-08-06, 02:49 PM
Mr. Brightside

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSpuRRs21
does that mean hes not signing with the spurs next year?
im afraid so
Old 07-08-06, 02:52 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUspur
Didnt he take that trip to Orlando when they were recuiting him and Grant Hill?
He did take a trip but he didnt act like a prima-donna or anything.
Old 07-08-06, 02:53 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I'm glad he stayed.
Old 07-08-06, 03:10 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ro_50
He did take a trip but he didnt act like a prima-donna or anything.
He didnt act like anything, he didnt even say anything he kept hush this whole time, how is that acting prima-donna?!?!?!...he had a major decision on his hands....First of all his team isnt that great...he needs better players Larry Hughes isnt the answer and he signed a big contract. Drew Gooden isnt that good, they need a PG. Ziggy and Donyell are old. Second if LeBron left Cleveland for LA,NY,or Chi..the big market cities, his contract with NIKE would double to 180mil. This was a major decision for him I dont blame him for waiting.

That Nike contract is what prolonged his decision so it was way more of a business decision than what Melo and D wade had. They dont have a clause in their endorsement contract where your money doubles if you go to a big market city. Money talks...sad to say!!!!
Old 07-08-06, 03:14 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I don't think Labron acted like a prima donna, he just had to decide if he wanted to be a millionaire and live in Cleaveland for the rest of his life. In a way, its sort of its own hell: you are rich beyond your wildest dreams, but you have to live in Cleaveland for 3/4th of the year.

Tim was always going to sign with the Spurs, but why not get wined and dined by the competition and then get paid where you really want to play. Manu did the same thing, but unfortunately was too obvious for his desire to re-sign w/ the Spurs that he could only get Denver to wine and dine him.
Old 07-08-06, 03:15 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Damn!! That means we are going to have to trade for him now, rather than sign him outright.

Brent Barry and Scola's rights would probably be enough. Maybe throw in Beno.

Old 07-08-06, 05:01 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks
what a drama queen
Heh, yeah it sure did seem like he was taking his time with the whole deal.

It's true that TD had a bit of a waiting period with the Spurs, wasn't nearly as drawn out as the whole Kidd to SA deal though.
Old 07-08-06, 05:06 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

AAWWW, I guess the MLE we wanted to give LeBron wasn't enough.
Old 07-08-06, 05:27 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

dubross is right -- Ferry and the Cavs have some work to do. Have to get rid of Larry Hughes and Damon Jones and keep building this team. But keeping LeBron is aces.
Old 07-08-06, 05:47 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan$$$
It's true that TD had a bit of a waiting period with the Spurs, wasn't nearly as drawn out as the whole Kidd to SA deal though.
Speaking of which, can you imagine if that deal had gone through?
Old 07-08-06, 06:15 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASpursFan
Speaking of which, can you imagine if that deal had gone through?
Yeah we may have a few more championships.
Old 07-08-06, 06:18 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Manu prob wouldnt be here

the Spurs never needed Kidd
Old 07-08-06, 08:57 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Honestly I have no idea what would've happened had Kidd actually gone to SA, I think spurs would've won at least one title with Kidd and I wouldn't be surprised if they won a lot more. Kidd-Duncan-Ginobili would've made a very deadly combination, Ginobili would definitely run the fast break well with Kidd and I think Duncan could do a better than expected job of it also. It would have been very cool to watch, but with Parker the Spurs have an all-star guard who has plenty of gas left in the tank so it probably has worked out for the better that Kidd never signed (no way the Spurs would have been able to keep both Parker and Kidd).
Old 07-08-06, 09:01 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

I wonder what cavs would think if james pulled a boozer
Old 07-09-06, 12:04 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzG
Manu prob wouldnt be here

the Spurs never needed Kidd
We don't NEED Chris Bosh or Dwight Howard either but if either one was available and we had cap room we better be trying to land them.
Old 07-09-06, 12:21 AM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Note:

1. Lebron wasn't a free agent so there was nothing to explore.
2. There are no negotiations since that the max he could get out of an extension. Wade and Carmelo get the same deal.
3. He would have been RESTRICTED next summer without an extension so the Cavs would have matched anything.
4. We don't know when exactly he really decided to go for the extension since the club isn't allowed to publicly make it known until he can formerly sign. Usually the word is leaked out by the agent or someone else as in the case of Wade or Carmelo so they are all seeking Page Ranking. So wade and Carmelo must be drama queens as well.
5. I also think he was pressured into making a public statement since everyone in Cleveland had been holding their breathe especially since both Wade and Carmelo work leaked out already.
Old 07-09-06, 01:54 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Found rare photo of Lebron

Old 07-09-06, 02:00 AM
Mr. Brightside

didnt mello get paid around the same as lebron?
Old 07-09-06, 02:03 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

melo's contract = wade's contract = james' contract = max contract
Old 07-09-06, 02:06 AM
Mr. Brightside

melo isnt worth what he was paid...cleveland was desperate to keep lebron, or the fans would burn down the Q