News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 07-07-06, 02:31 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Random Spurs/Free Agent Info

Jim (SA) : John, Why don't the Spurs go after Butler and Ariza? Don't those two fit the needs the Spurs have? What about Harrington to the Spurs?

John Hollinger: Not sure if you're talking about Jackie or Rasual Butler, but either way they're out of SA's price range. One thing to remember is San Anto is very close to the luxury tax line right now -- we won't know how close til we see the new tax level on the 12th and learn how much Javtokas is costing them, but I'm guessing it's close enough that they can only do minimum deals from here on out.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The free-agent market is a little bit like a game of dominoes: When one piece falls, it leads to more movement.

For instance, Chicago's agreement with Ben Wallace meant Detroit went after Nazr Mohammed while Joel Przybilla decided to return to Portland.

So which dominoes are left to fall now that Wallace will join the Bulls and Peja Stojakovic has agreed to go to the Hornets?

The task today is to sort out what's left -- who's worth big bucks, who could end up being a bargain and who isn't worth much at all. It's even more difficult this year because there's an awful lot of chaff between the shreds of wheat.

In sizing up the market, we basically have two groups.

In one group is what I call "the big five" -- the five remaining free agents whose performance justifies significant, long-term deals.

Beyond them, the dropoff is severe. Nonetheless, several players receiving less attention have shown enough potential to provide significant value in coming seasons.

From 1 thru 25, here's how I rank this year's "Best of the Rest":

THE BIG FIVE

1. Al Harrington, Hawks
Harrington is young (26), talented (18.6 ppg), and proven (five straight years in double figures). That should make him a coveted asset, but now that the few teams with cap space and a need for a forward have committed their dollars, he might find himself in a tight spot.

Harrington's lone path to fair market value is to piece together a sign-and-trade deal, always a difficult proposition. That's doubly true now that a judge has limited the Hawks' squabbling ownership to one-year contracts (although that won't affect the Speedy Claxton deal).

Plus, the Hawks aren't terribly interested in retaining Harrington because they already have a crowd at the forward spots.

Indiana remains the leader in the clubhouse on the sign-and-trade front, but this might take awhile.

2. Drew Gooden, Cavaliers (restricted)
People aren't piling in with offers because of Gooden's tendency to lose focus on defense. I think that's a mistake. Step back and look at the bigger picture, and you'll see the guy piled up 15.5 points and 12.2 boards per 40 minutes while shooting 51.2 percent from the floor. His numbers from the year before were even better

He's also quick enough to step out on pick-and-rolls and defend guards, and long enough to challenge shots in the paint, which helps make up for the periodic brain cramps. Also, he's only 24 -- it's rare to come across a talented frontcourt player of that age in free agency.

Yet with offers hardly flooding in due to his restricted free agent status, he could end up settling for the Cavs' one-year tender.

3. Chris Wilcox, SuperSonics (restricted)
I love it when agents get upset because a team won't match another's foolishness.

Apparently Wilcox's people are deeply annoyed that the Sonics won't offer him the same six-year, $60 million deal the Nuggets gave Nene. You know, because it worked out so well last year with Samuel Dalembert, Tyson Chandler and Eddy Curry.

Wilcox isn't worth $60 million, but he'll get more than the midlevel. Like Gooden, he's young (23) and a spectacular finisher who shoots a high percentage but struggles on defense. However, 2005-06 was the first time he'd played well for a long stretch, and that 57.1 percent shooting mark doesn't seem sustainable.

4. Bonzi Wells, Kings
Wells put together a second straight solid season, and behaved better too. That said, I think people got a little carried away with his playoff performance. Wells still is an inconsistent shooter and prone to turnovers, and questions about his attitude will always linger.

Additionally, if he signs a five-year deal he'll be 34 by the end of the contract. Add it up and I'd be skittish about giving him any more than my midlevel exception, and I'd be reluctant to give him the full five years as well.

(By the way, if your name happens to be Joe Dumars and you're reading this, do not pair Bonzi with Rasheed Wallace. I repeat, do not do this. I know you think it will work out OK, but it won't. Putting those two together is like feeding a Gremlin after midnight. Trust me.)

5. Mike James, Raptors
He's coming off a great year, but he's also a 31-year-old point guard who had never played this well before, so teams are bidding nervously. Like Wells, he's probably worth the midlevel exception, but not on a five-year deal -- he'll be lucky to get more than three.

The esteemed Mr. Line reports today that the bidding is down to Houston, Dallas, and Minnesota. The logical destination would seem to be Houston, because Houston's attitude toward this season could best be described as, "Let's make one last push to win big now before Tracy's back blows up for good, and worry about the consequences later." Inking James fits that plan perfectly.

THE LITTLE 20

Instead of this little one-paragraph interlude between James and the next guy on our list, just imagine a giant precipice. Like, say, the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Next, imagine players 1 through 5 in my list at the top, and the rest of these guys at the bottom.

Now, continue on:

6. Jackie Butler, Knicks (restricted)
He's 21 years old and already a productive NBA center. Last year he shot 54.4 percent and averaged 15.7 points per 40 minutes. He's turnover-prone and needs to get in better shape, but if you look at the crazy money teams are throwing at other centers, it's surprising nobody has made a strong move for Butler. His restricted status probably isn't helping in that regard.

7. Trevor Ariza, Magic (restricted)
I'm a bit surprised Ariza hasn't received more attention as well. He's still only 21 years old and he's already a decent NBA backup.

Outside of the top five, Butler, Ariza and Marcus Banks are the only ones with any kind of star potential (using the word "star" extremely loosely here), and none seem to be getting much love right now.

8. Marcus Banks, Timberwolves
An unrestricted free agent because Boston didn't pick up his option year when he was a Celtic, Banks played fairly well once he came to Minnesota at midseason. He's still a poor shooter and has some problems running the point, but he's as good at pressuring the ball as anyone this side of Lindsey Hunter and made an encouraging boost in his field-goal percentage a year ago.

9. Eddie House, Suns
House's past two seasons have been extremely productive. He averaged a whopping 22.5 points per 40 minutes in Phoenix a year ago and 17.8 for three clubs the year before (and yet somehow managed to get cut twice).

He'll be looking for another wide-open offense to join in 2006-07 as a sparkplug off the bench. A return to Phoenix remains possible.

10. Darius Songaila, Bulls (restricted)
An extremely proficient mid-range shooter, Songaila doesn't bring much else to the table and is a bit short for the power forward spot at 6-8. Nonetheless, his scoring knack will help somebody's second unit, and with Chicago adding P.J. Brown and Tyrus Thomas he'll likely be looking for a new home.

11. Keith Van Horn, Mavericks
So let me see if I got this straight: Tim Thomas gets $24 million, Vlad Radmanovic gets $31 million, but Van Horn is twisting in his knee-high socks waiting for a phone call? Somebody want to tell me what the difference is between those three soft, 6-10 jump shooters?

Yes, Van Horn is the oldest of the three, but last time I checked Van Horn has had the best career of the bunch, and on a per-minute basis he was the best in 2005-06 as well.

12. Tony Delk, Pistons
While Delk hasn't played much of late, he's played extremely well. His 40-minute scoring averages the past two years were 19.9 and 19.1, respectively, and though his age is cause for concern (32), it's not like Delk is dependent on his athleticism -- he's just going to come off the bench and bury mid-range jumpers. That makes him a good value on a short-term deal.

13. Fred Jones, Pacers (restricted)
You could argue Jones shouldn't be rated this high -- he's not nearly as good offensively as some people imagine -- but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt because he was playing hurt last season. He was a pretty effective bench player the year before, and since he's only 27 I'd expect him to be one again next year.

14. Melvin Ely, Bobcats (restricted)
Ely quietly enjoyed a productive year in Charlotte, and has been coveted by New Jersey for some time. However, he has three strikes against him. First, because he played in college forever, he's already 28 years old. Second, he's a restricted free agent, so the Bobcats can match any offer. Finally, 2005-06 was his first good year, so teams may be reluctant to use that as a basis for an offer.

15. Jumaine Jones, Bobcats
He's 27 -- it only seems like he's 90. And Jones has put together a pair of reasonably effective seasons in two very different environments, first as a member of Kobe's supporting crew in L.A. and then in a much more prominent role in Charlotte. He shouldn't be starting, but his ability to play both forward spots, hit 3s from the corner and rebound should net him half of somebody's midlevel exception.

16. Anthony Parker
The "other" Tony Parker has played in Israel the past few years for Maccabi Tel Aviv. I left him out of my projected stats for European players because I didn't think he'd make the jump across the pond this year, but now I'm reading that Toronto is making a strong push for him.

Parker was a flop as a first-round pick nearly a decade ago, and his translated stats from last year aren't that great (11.95 PER). However, his numbers from a year earlier were much more impressive (15.96), and those are consistent with the rest of his European career. Either way, he projects as a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none type who will fill the stat sheet but won't score that much.

17. Shavlik Randolph, 76ers (restricted)
Undrafted after a wholly unimpressive career at Duke, Randolph was a pleasant surprise as a rookie with the 76ers. While limited offensively, he shot a decent percentage on his chances around the basket and was better than advertised on the glass. At 22, he still has room to get better.

18. DerMarr Johnson, Nuggets
Johnson had some productive outbursts in Denver, especially two years ago, but George Karl never really took a shine to him and by the end of the year he was riding the pine. With his length at 6-9 and his ability to hit 3-pointers and score in transition, Johnson should be able to find a role somewhere.

19. Reggie Evans, Nuggets
The Nutcracker is almost completely one-dimensional, but is so good in that dimension that he still has value. Evans led the NBA in Rebound Rate for a second straight season, so despite his offensive limitations he should be a target for a board-starved club like, say, Minnesota or New Jersey.

20. Jarron Collins, Jazz
The twin brother of the Nets' Jason, this Collins brings a similar skill set to the table -- outstanding team defense, limited rebounding, and the occasional midrange jump shot. He's not quite as exceptional a defender as his brother, but more than good enough to get paid in the current wacky environment for centers.

21. Lorenzen Wright, Grizzlies
Wright has declined the past two years and he's 30 years old, so buyer beware. All the same, he hasn't been that bad, and one has to wonder if part of the decline was from getting his undersized butt kicked every night playing center for Memphis. If he moved back to his natural power forward spot and crashed the boards for 15 minutes a night off the bench, perhaps he might have a few productive years left.

22. Jared Jeffries, Wizards (restricted)
Supposedly he's getting a lot of interest, which surprises me in light of the fact that he's not any good. Yes, he had some nice moments defensively against LeBron James in the playoffs, but he also went 36 minutes without scoring a basket in the clinching Game 6 and shot 39.5 percent for the series.

Besides, nobody's comparing him to Bruce Bowen, and he needs to be that good an on-ball defender because the rest of his game is so poor. Jeffries put up a meager 10.4 points per 40 minutes last year, and it was a new career-high for him. Also, he is nothing special on the boards, makes way too many turnovers, and is worse than Tim Duncan from the foul line. Anybody paying the full midlevel exception for this package will end up horribly disappointed.

23. Ronald Dupree, Timberwolves
Now here's somebody who does the same things Jeffries does and will cost about a tenth as much. While teams will focus on Jeffries, Devean George and Rasual Butler in the small forward market, you'd have a hard time convincing me Dupree isn't at least as good. Sure, he's played less than the other guys, but look at the production -- he hasn't played any worse. He's also might be the best defender of the bunch.

24. DeShawn Stevenson, Magic
Stevenson opted out of his contract and is supposedly looking for a deal worth the midlevel exception. I'll let the fact that I've ranked him below Jeffries speak for my feelings on whether he's worth that much. While Stevenson is still young (25) and is a pretty good defender, his knack for taking jumpers a foot inside the 3-point line is a quiet killer offensively, and right now that's his primary "weapon."

25. Ronald (Flip) Murray, Cavaliers
Murray has a great first step and should have benefited as much as anyone from the rules changes preventing contact on the perimeter, but his last two years have been brutal. He still has that stellar start to 2003-04 on his résumé, though, so perhaps he just needs the right environment.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-07-06, 02:38 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd98
Jim (SA) : John, Why don't the Spurs go after Butler and Ariza? Don't those two fit the needs the Spurs have? What about Harrington to the Spurs?

John Hollinger: Not sure if you're talking about Jackie or Rasual Butler, but either way they're out of SA's price range. One thing to remember is San Anto is very close to the luxury tax line right now -- we won't know how close til we see the new tax level on the 12th and learn how much Javtokas is costing them, but I'm guessing it's close enough that they can only do minimum deals from here on out.

ah..John. They were just over the luxury-tax threshold this past year and NVE and Nazr
are coming off the books since they get nothing in return. That's at least $6 million right there.
Enough to add MLE and LLE exceptions.

Thank you.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-07-06, 02:40 PM

23. Ronald Dupree, Timberwolves
Now here's somebody who does the same things Jeffries does and will cost about a tenth as much. While teams will focus on Jeffries, Devean George and Rasual Butler in the small forward market, you'd have a hard time convincing me Dupree isn't at least as good. Sure, he's played less than the other guys, but look at the production -- he hasn't played any worse. He's also might be the best defender of the bunch.

Old 07-07-06, 02:46 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

He's wrong about the Spurs and the luxury cap, of course. They offered Przybilla a $5M+/yr contract, didn't they? Stupid.

Of free agents, I'm most interested in Butler and Ariza.
Old 07-07-06, 02:46 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
(By the way, if your name happens to be Joe Dumars and you're reading this, do not pair Bonzi with Rasheed Wallace. I repeat, do not do this. I know you think it will work out OK, but it won't. Putting those two together is like feeding a Gremlin after midnight. Trust me.)

Quote:
20. Jarron Collins, Jazz
The twin brother of the Nets' Jason, this Collins brings a similar skill set to the table -- outstanding team defense, limited rebounding, and the occasional midrange jump shot. He's not quite as exceptional a defender as his brother, but more than good enough to get paid in the current wacky environment for centers.
According to some, he is no where near as good as his brother, but this guy thinks he is close.
Quote:
22. Jared Jeffries, Wizards (restricted)
Supposedly he's getting a lot of interest, which surprises me in light of the fact that he's not any good. Yes, he had some nice moments defensively against LeBron James in the playoffs, but he also went 36 minutes without scoring a basket in the clinching Game 6 and shot 39.5 percent for the series.

Besides, nobody's comparing him to Bruce Bowen, and he needs to be that good an on-ball defender because the rest of his game is so poor. Jeffries put up a meager 10.4 points per 40 minutes last year, and it was a new career-high for him. Also, he is nothing special on the boards, makes way too many turnovers, and is worse than Tim Duncan from the foul line. Anybody paying the full midlevel exception for this package will end up horribly disappointed.
You would think with the number of posts we have made about this guy, that he was the second coming of BB. Apparently he is not that good if you listen to this guy.

It appears that he doesn't "do his research" before answering questions because he has no clue about the Spurs cap situation. :eyes
Old 07-07-06, 02:48 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Jeffries is a chump. I agree there.
Old 07-07-06, 02:48 PM
SpursReport Rookie

10. Darius Songaila, Bulls (restricted)
An extremely proficient mid-range shooter, Songaila doesn't bring much else to the table and is a bit short for the power forward spot at 6-8. Nonetheless, his scoring knack will help somebody's second unit, and with Chicago adding P.J. Brown and Tyrus Thomas he'll likely be looking for a new home.

Here's an article that mentions the Spurs showing intrest in Songaila.
http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/bulls.asp?id=205763
Old 07-07-06, 02:51 PM
SpursReport Team Member

This guy is undervalued Jeffries i think.
Jared would be a very nice role player who can defend even Nowitzki.
Old 07-07-06, 02:52 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuncaboylu
Ah Amente.
We saved 6 million by sending NVE and NAzr, but what about the %10 raise in the other player's contract.
Duncan will get 1.5 million more than last year
Manu and Tony will each get 1 million more.
Barry+Finley+Horry will earn 1 million more at total.
That means we saved 6 million, but raises causes 4.5 million increment. Our real profit is 1.5 million and we are still very near to luxury tax threshold.

ah but you forget the cap and luxury-tax threshold will also increase.
oh and for those older contracts their increase is 12% not 10%.
Old 07-07-06, 02:54 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amente
ah but you forget the cap and luxury-tax threshold will also increase.
oh and for those older contracts their increase is 12% not 10%.
You're right. But it's still doubtful how much it will raise. And don't forget, MLE will also increase if that threshold will increases.
Old 07-07-06, 02:58 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
You're right. But it's still doubtful how much it will raise. And don't forget, MLE will also increase if that threshold will increases.
well, like l=w posted, they'll sign Jak and offered Pryz the MLE so apparently they're okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l=w
He's wrong about the Spurs and the luxury cap, of course. They offered Przybilla a $5M+/yr contract, didn't they? Stupid.
Old 07-07-06, 03:04 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
well, like l=w posted, they'll sign Jak and offered Pryz the MLE so apparently they're okay.
I agree to you, if we would use full MLE, we would pay 1 million luxury tax at most. (Which must be handled by Holt)
On the other hand, thx god trhat Pryz didn't join us
Old 07-07-06, 03:11 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
I agree to you, if we would use full MLE, we would pay 1 million luxury tax at most. (Which must be handled by Holt)
On the other hand, thx god trhat Pryz didn't join us

Don't forget this fact.
For the 2005-06 season the league used a set amount of $61.7 million for the tax threshold rather than applying the actual CBA formula. Had the formula been used, the tax level would have been approximately $63.7 million. They should be using the formula again this season.
Old 07-07-06, 03:16 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Don't forget this fact.
For the 2005-06 season the league used a set amount of $61.7 million for the tax threshold rather than applying the actual CBA formula. Had the formula been used, the tax level would have been approximately $63.7 million. They should be using the formula again this season.
Our salary is 60 million right now.(If Eric would uses his player option).
MLE will be around 5 million i think.
As i guessed, we would pay 1 million luxury tax, if we would use MLE.
Old 07-07-06, 03:19 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Our salary is 60 million right now.(If Eric would uses his player option).
MLE will be around 5 million i think.
As i guessed, we would pay 1 million luxury tax, if we would use MLE.

Williams used his player option prior to the trade else the trade wouldn't have been done.
Old 07-07-06, 03:23 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Williams used his player option prior to the trade else the trade wouldn't have been done.
Right decision by him, he can't earn so much money anywhere else.
Now in this situation: We should use Eric as Bowen'a back-up and spend MLE to Jatokas + a veteran point guard.
Old 07-07-06, 03:47 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Now in this situation: We should use Eric as Bowen'a back-up and spend MLE to Jatokas + a veteran point guard.
i dont' think eric williams will play? will he?

+ before a point gaurd, i think we need a Center or PF
Old 07-07-06, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Yavvie will be on the LLE most likely
Old 07-07-06, 03:57 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo_radley
Yavvie will be on the LLE most likely
Good news. We will still have MLE, after getting him
Old 07-07-06, 05:19 PM
SpursReport Rookie

What in the world happened to us landing Scola????? i thought he was the answer we were looking for in the big man department. Now we are left to pick from the scraps? What does it say that Pryzbilla is staying w/ the Jailblazers? Is he just stupid or are the Spurs slipping, or both? I hope only the first. Also pleaaaaaaaaase tell me Manu is taking off this summer from playing for Argentina, my boy needs a break, he was toast in the playoffs. Any answers anyone?
Old 07-07-06, 05:21 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadSpursFan5
What in the world happened to us landing Scola????? i thought he was the answer we were looking for in the big man department. Now we are left to pick from the scraps? What does it say that Pryzbilla is staying w/ the Jailblazers? Is he just stupid or are the Spurs slipping, or both? I hope only the first. Also pleaaaaaaaaase tell me Manu is taking off this summer from playing for Argentina, my boy needs a break, he was toast in the playoffs. Any answers anyone?
Take off the rope and peruse some of the older threads. Look at the Javtokas video. Calm down a bit. And wait, along with the rest of us.

Old 07-07-06, 06:06 PM
Mr. Brightside

im sure whatever choice they do, it will help them...they do have guys getting paid to make these decisions