News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 07-05-06, 12:44 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Jeff Foster

Is there an interest in Jeff Foster? He is a decent rebounder (9 per game last two years), 6'11" C/F, plays with Tim in the summer months and has 3 years left on his contract. His salary would be about the same as Barry's and from what SIG says, Pacers are hurting for guards. His contract is only one year longer than Barry's and it will give Javtokas enough time to learn the system.

I know he missed about 20 games both last year and the year before so not sure if he is injury prone or not.

This is just a thought. Any comments or input?
Old 07-05-06, 12:48 AM
SpursReport Rookie

He went to school at Southwest Texas, err...Texas State, and if I am not mistaken, was born and raised in San Antonio. I think his mom in the principal at a local highschool, so he does have a great deal of connections with the town.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-05-06, 12:49 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

I'd take him. But do we have anything Indiana wants in order to give him up? I doubt it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-05-06, 12:50 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotes_geek
I'd take him. But do we have anything Indiana wants in order to give him up? I doubt it.
I think SIG says that the Pacers are hurting for guards. We have Barry, who makes about the same amount.
Old 07-05-06, 12:53 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousspirit
I think SIG says that the Pacers are hurting for guards. We have Barry, who makes about the same amount.
If the Pacers would take that I'd be all over it, but I doubt they would. Don't they already have the euro version of Barry in Jasekevicus?
Old 07-05-06, 01:01 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

The dude is cool and all and makes for a decent starter. His talents are real limited tho.

1. rebounding
2. being refered to as a garbage man every time Hubie Brown sees him play

Thats about it.
Old 07-05-06, 01:01 AM
SpursReport Rookie

ive been a foster fan, not only cause i go to texas state, but he is one of those players that gets his stats quietly. doesnt have to be in the papers and just goes out and does his job with no complaints. would fit in good with the spurs i think. he might not be a shot blocker but he will get the offensive boards we need. thats his game offensive boards and putbacks. i think last year or the year before he was #1 in the league in O boards per min. id trade barry for him. experienced, has played with another talented bigman in J oneal (no timVP but there is no other) i had posted about trading nazr for foster before the deadline and still think he would do good in a spurs uniform

Last edited by mg78666; 07-05-06 at 01:06 AM.
Old 07-05-06, 01:04 AM
SpursReport Rookie

We might of had a chance with a sign and trade of Nazr. Barry will only be attractive to teams next year when he is in the final year of his contract, but that is still debateable.
Old 07-05-06, 01:05 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Nazr wanted to go to Detroit. Kind of makes it hard to sign and trade him to Indiana.
Old 07-05-06, 01:11 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Jeff is very quick laterally. I don't remeber how he has fared against Dirk in the past, but he would not be a bad option when it comes to guarding him.
Old 07-05-06, 01:13 AM
MomBear

I like jeff but hasn't he had several injuries?
Old 07-05-06, 01:14 AM
SpursReport Rookie

I don't know. Barry had a couple of huge games against the Suns 2 years ago in our championship run and tied the game against Sacramento to push overtime this year, but that's all I can remember of the guy. He just does not show up enough.
Old 07-05-06, 01:16 AM
Mr. Brightside

this guy sounds good...hope they notice this...
Old 07-05-06, 01:17 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I'd also like to see Foster join the Spurs, but I doubt Indiana would trade him for Barry + Scola. If they did though I think he would do a good job in SA.
Old 07-05-06, 01:22 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Is Barry too old to start anymore? I remember he started for Seattle back in the day.
Old 07-05-06, 01:26 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR
He would probably be best as a reserve at this point.

He's been great for us for 5-6 game stretches due to injury though.
Ah, well if there's no potential for starting, then it prolly aint worth it. Pacers are desperate to the point that they can't fiddle around with backup guards - they have a bazillion of those. No starting quality guards though.
Old 07-05-06, 01:33 AM
SpursReport Rookie

I always liked this guy too. Team guy and hustles his Arse off. Bring him POP/RC.
Old 07-05-06, 04:15 AM
SpursReport Rookie

His mom was my high school principal at Alamo Heights... one time at a pep-rally, she did the macarena... it was pretty funny... so I say lets bring him.
Old 07-05-06, 04:33 AM
Abominable snowballer

why talk about a guy who's for sure not on the market?
yes, he would be great at the Spurs and his SA background is a nice aspect.
but it's not up to him to decide to just go home.
he's a great role player with a decent contract in his prime, who fits well alongside JO and as long as Harrison isn't able to take over (he still seemed years away from that), Foster is a very important player for them.
to guess the Pacers will deliver their starting center for an aging guard is naiv.
there are a lot of players thr pacers want to get rid of (Jax, Tinsley, Jasikevicius, maybe JO) but for sure not Foster.
Old 07-05-06, 04:55 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineballer
he's a great role player with a decent contract in his prime, who fits well alongside JO and as long as Harrison isn't able to take over (he still seemed years away from that), Foster is a very important player for them.
to guess the Pacers will deliver their starting center for an aging guard is naiv.
there are a lot of players thr pacers want to get rid of (Jax, Tinsley, Jasikevicius, maybe JO) but for sure not Foster.
While I agree with most of this post, I don't see Ffoster as an untradable player if the right deal came around. Barry and the expiring contract of Williams might be enough to get a deal done in some form or fashion.

I will always have a spot in my heart for San Antonio, even though I no longer live there. I think this is probably a true statement for anyone who has spent a significant part of their life there. As a clubhouse, you want your players to want to be on your team. i suspect Foster would jump at the chance to be a Spur. If he has any hometown pride he would.

What I know about the NBA and the power the players ultimately have, if they want out of their current and into a more ideal situation, they usually get their wishes. Foster would be a very good pick up for this team, IMO. If it works, great; lots of stories there. If not, well thats OK too. I'd take him for the hometown connection alone.

Hometown boys are well repected in The SA community as I remember it. Shoot, Devin Brown was almost a hometown boy, and look at how many of us wish he were Bruces back-up today. I rooted for that guy, he was "from here". I wanted to see him succeed. He did and got a healthy reward for his devotion. But don't think for a minute that he doesn't wish the money was right for him to be able to stay. I have to believe that Foster would relish the opportunity to be the hometown hero on more than a few nights.

I say do it. he would be a quality bench guy with plenty of fight. When injuries get our number, I think he would step up and do his part to see that the Spurs are a continued success, headed for a championship. He definately has value to this team. intangibles are never recorded, stats never taken. Foster has some intangables that we were missing this last year.

Just one mans humble opinion. James R and Jason R, feel free to rip me to shreds as you are both wanton to do.
Old 07-05-06, 08:33 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spUrpenguin3000
this guy sounds good...hope they notice this...
I think if RC wanted the SR's opinion - he would tell us what it is.
Old 07-05-06, 02:35 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineballer
I think most GMs are smart enough to listen to offers even if they do not plan on trading a player. Unless it is a franchise player, it would be silly for GMs not to hear what other teams may have to offer.

That being said, I know that Foster is a long shot, but knowing that the Pacers lost Peja and are looking for guards, it is not out of the question to consider Barry/Beno for Foster. It may not be a very good option, but it is not naive. IMHO
Old 07-05-06, 02:39 PM
MomBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spur43
Old 07-05-06, 02:50 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spur43
That's bull. We all know RC reads SpursReport reverently and gets all his good ideas here. In fact I'm positive that after reading about it here RC is burning up the phone lines working on that KG for Manu-Finley-Oberto-Scola-Barry-Horry deal as we speak.
Old 07-05-06, 08:17 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I personally think Foster would be a fantastic fit here and not just because he is a Madison/SA guy. The big draw back is that he is injury prone. But in my mind, as long as he is healthy for the playoffs, who cares if he only plays 50 games during the regular season, just as long as he gets enough time to learn the system. I think this year reminded us that having a great regular season is nice and all, but the playoffs are what count.

Not sure why Indiana would trade him though. If I am not mistaken, Pollard is a FA who may go elsewhere and Harrison has been a disappointment for them. JO and Foster are the only reliable bigs they have on their roster now.
Old 07-05-06, 09:48 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I'd agree with most that there's almost no chance the spurs could get Foster in a trade, but he would be a nice C along with TD. The guy is tough and has great hustle. He could probably get a couple of buckets a game off of offensive rebounds from Tim's misses.
Old 07-05-06, 09:52 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Ginobili
His mom was my high school principal at Alamo Heights... one time at a pep-rally, she did the macarena... it was pretty funny... so I say lets bring him.
mine too... although, i can't remember the macarena... i probably skipped that rally.
Old 07-06-06, 02:20 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshows
mine too... although, i can't remember the macarena... i probably skipped that rally.
pshows, eh? I'm guessing ur name is Payton. I'm Gabe. Grade above ya.