Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-06, 06:13 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Former Oral Roberts player asked to work out by Spurs

Richard Obert
The Arizona Republic
Jun. 26, 2006 12:00 AM

Former Mesa Westwood High basketball player Larry Owens has had a workout with one NBA team and another to come, but he said he doesn't expect to be taken in Wednesday's two-round draft.

Owens, a 6-foot-7 guard/forward, who played the past two seasons at Oral Roberts, said he had a good workout with the New Orleans Hornets.

He said the San Antonio Spurs want to work him out after the draft.

His likely route in a quest to reach the NBA is to sign as a free agent or to start out overseas. He said he's open to either.

"I don't mind at all, if I've got a chance to make some noise in the league," Owens said.

Former Page center Matt Haryasz, who averaged 16.2 points and 8.7 rebounds for Stanford last season, is ranked 92nd among the top 100 prospects for the NBA draft by analyst Chris Monter.

Haryasz, The Republic Big School Player of the Year in 2002, participated in a pre-draft camp in Orlando, where he didn't score in double figures in any of the three games, Monter wrote in his draft newsletter. Monter projects Haryasz to be either a second-round pick or a sought-after free agent.

Owens, who averaged 12.5 points and 7.9 rebounds last season at Oral Roberts, has always had to take the long route to his ultimate destiny. He wasn't highly recruited out of Westwood in 2001 when he signed with Yavapai College in Prescott, where he spent two years.

"I think it was a good idea to go juco," said Owens, who averaged 22.7 points and 10.6 rebounds his sophomore season at Yavapai. "I learned the game a lot better. I got bigger and stronger."

Owens said most of his points came in the lane. He said he has been working on his perimeter game.

"I've been working on my jump shot," he said. "I also need to be more physical in the lane."

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/prep...local0626.html
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-27-06, 09:45 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

I believe Larry Johnson aka "Grandmama" went Juco also. Sometimes you find gems.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-27-06, 10:10 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Real
I believe Larry Johnson aka "Grandmama" went Juco also. Sometimes you find gems.
yes he did..a shame he hurt his back, he was good.
Old 06-27-06, 10:22 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Yeah, except that Larry Johnson was highly recruited out of H.S. He might have even been the #1 recruit in the nation but couldn't make the grades.
Old 06-27-06, 10:41 AM
SpursReport Rookie

I was watching a game on ESPN Classic this past Sunday. It was the 1992 Magic vs. the Hornets. I watched it mostly to see Shaq vs. Zo. I had forgotten about Larry Johnson before watching that game. Him and Zo were dynamite.
Old 06-27-06, 11:13 AM
SpursReport Rookie

I think Owens could develop into a pretty decent NBA player, but would probably benefit from a season or two in the NBDL or overseas. I've seen him play all of his home games for ORU, being from Tulsa. He is amazing on defense and in transition. Like he says, if he can work on his jumpshot, which improved from his Junior to Senior year, he could become a bruce type players w/ more athletic ability and a longer wingspan.
Old 06-27-06, 11:53 AM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Spurs have been working out a lot of players in the past two weeks.

I think they even gave my 52 year old Uncle Huey a tryout last week.

Old 06-27-06, 12:32 PM
SpursReport Team Member

uh i'm not going to be drafted either can i have my own thread too?

i'd like the chance to make some noise in this league, i'm willing to go to Europe too

Last edited by 562bulldog; 06-27-06 at 12:35 PM.