News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-06, 03:34 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Stern To Reveal Big Surprise On Draft Night

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archiv...n_draft_night/
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-26-06, 03:38 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

David Stern will reveal his new balls.

New basketballs, that is.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-26-06, 03:41 PM
SpursReport Rookie

what exactly can you possbily change from the ball
Old 06-26-06, 03:46 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs_41
Spurs awarded 2006 NBA Title?
Old 06-26-06, 03:47 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

going retro
all players will be required to have big hair also
Old 06-26-06, 03:48 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs_41
what exactly can you possbily change from the ball
If you can change a soccer ball, you can change a basketball. I think there is a pic of it somewhere in a past thread.
Old 06-26-06, 03:49 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

It's designed to knuckle more when players kick it.
Old 06-26-06, 03:55 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

they're bringing back short shorts per request of private shareholders and the basketball is going retro.
Old 06-26-06, 04:04 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by l=w
It's designed to knuckle more when players kick it.
"Bend it like Nowitzki"

Once upon a time, giants ruled the earth....
Old 06-26-06, 04:18 PM
SpursReport Team Member

THE NEW BALL

Not quite sure why this has not gotten more press, but the NBA will be using a new basketball design next season. The new ball is no longer going to be leather, rather a composite surface, and has a strikingly different look. One of the side effects of this new non-leather ball will likely be the decrease in shooting percentages, as the ball tends to “bobble” out a touch more than the normal NBA ball. The new ball was used exclusively at the NBA pre-draft camp. The new ball is also featured in print on the cover of the NBA’s 2006 draft guide. Ironically, neither the NBA nor Spalding has put out a release on the new ball yet. There had been rumors of the new ball design for the past few months - it was surprising to see it in use in Orlando, especially without any press on the new ball or its features – but it’s coming.
Old 06-26-06, 04:42 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR
Why on earth would a league office that is so concerned with more scoring release a new ball that will lower shooting percentages?

Stern=retard
Pretty much. Madness in Stern's mind= offense or marketing? Offense or Marketing?

BOOM!
Old 06-26-06, 04:42 PM

They should use this one:

Old 06-26-06, 04:44 PM
SpursReport Team Member

so the new ball will lower shooting percentages? WTF is that? stern needs to retire already, hes totally incompetent
Old 06-26-06, 04:46 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

tp must practice with it this summer
he will tear up the nba
Old 06-26-06, 04:50 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

you never know about some of the nba teams

gs,hawks.....
Old 06-26-06, 04:58 PM
SpursReport Team Member

why in the HELL do they need to change the ball? whats wrong with it? why would they introduce a ball that makes shooting more difficult? stupidest thing ive ever heard.
Old 06-26-06, 04:59 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Why on earth would a league office that is so concerned with more scoring release a new ball that will lower shooting percentages?

Stern=retard
At first, I thought the same thing, but after mulling it over, I'll venture a guess: leather costs more than "composite material." Since the manufacturers will still sell the new, cheaper-to-make basketballs for the same price as the old, expensive-to-make ones, the profit margin will be tasty. Stern isn't a retard, and Spaulding isn't evil... capitalism just is what it is.
Old 06-26-06, 05:01 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Location: The capital of Texas...that's right...Sunset Valley

Wouldn't be funny that the ball screws the league up so bad that it ends up getting a Portland-Charlotte Final?

"Married men live longer. Yes. And an indoor cat also lives longer. It's a furball with a broken spirit, that can only look out on a world it can never enjoy. But it does technically live longer." - Bill Maher
Old 06-26-06, 05:31 PM
Mr. Brightside

I don't know...maybe they should keep the ball the same? maybe? it's a wild statement...but who knows, stern's statement is he's gonna retire or he's gonna give cuban the chair at the draft or ban him from all games for life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchmo
Wouldn't be funny that the ball screws the league up so bad that it ends up getting a Portland-Charlotte Final?
so it's gonna make the bad teams shoot good and vice-versa? a bizzaro ball!
Old 06-26-06, 06:11 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

maybe they should use this one.

Old 06-26-06, 06:17 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amente
maybe they should use this one.

yeah but if they use that one you can only shoot 3s or shoot layups nothing else!
Old 06-26-06, 06:52 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslave
so the new ball will lower shooting percentages? WTF is that? stern needs to retire already, hes totally incompetent
It's so people will stop shooting, and force teams to play through players like kobe, and wade. people who drive to the hoop, and dunk.

Last edited by StrangeCheez; 06-26-06 at 06:54 PM.
Old 06-26-06, 07:13 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeCheez
It's so people will stop shooting, and force teams to play through players like kobe, and wade. people who drive to the hoop, and dunk.
...and a ploy to increase players' stats.
Old 06-26-06, 07:19 PM
The Master Baiter

The new ball is going to be the face of the league, kind of like that inanimate rod that saved Homer and Buzz Aldrin in that Simpsons episode.
Old 06-26-06, 07:23 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Maybe it'll be Tom Hanks' friend Wilson from Castaway.
Old 06-26-06, 07:51 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

This ball will obviously only affect the Spurs' shooting percentage.

That way Stern won't have to have the refs take playoffs games from us - the ball can do the dirty work for him.

Stern = Dr. Evil
Old 06-26-06, 07:55 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidd_91

THE NEW BALL

Not quite sure why this has not gotten more press, but the NBA will be using a new basketball design next season. The new ball is no longer going to be leather, rather a composite surface, and has a strikingly different look. One of the side effects of this new non-leather ball will likely be the decrease in shooting percentages, as the ball tends to “bobble” out a touch more than the normal NBA ball. The new ball was used exclusively at the NBA pre-draft camp. The new ball is also featured in print on the cover of the NBA’s 2006 draft guide. Ironically, neither the NBA nor Spalding has put out a release on the new ball yet. There had been rumors of the new ball design for the past few months - it was surprising to see it in use in Orlando, especially without any press on the new ball or its features – but it’s coming.
I see a fiasco in the NBAs future.
Old 06-26-06, 08:01 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

It will not be a big deal.
Old 06-26-06, 08:06 PM
SpursReport Team Member

What could Stern be holding secret in a 20 by 20 box thats just a little bigger than a basketball.
Old 06-26-06, 08:22 PM
SpursReport Rookie

...and after Stern changes the ball, he will reveal his next surprise: the sacking of Javie and the rest of the incompetent crew!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!
Old 06-26-06, 08:30 PM
SpursReport Team Member

SO I guess the new ball will be PETA friendly.....now those psycho animal activists can go beat off in their closets to this fortunate news to the saving of cows.
Old 06-26-06, 08:33 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
It will not be a big deal.
I agree

the ball wont have THAT much effect
Old 06-26-06, 08:44 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Seriously guys I'm pretty sure most teams will adjust after training camps and stuff. I doubt its gonna that big of a deal as long as the weight is the same. If the weight changes look for a lockout around the all-star break
Old 06-26-06, 09:01 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I bet the box really has a severed head in it. Or Muggsy Bogues.

Of course if it is the new ball I fully expect the Spurs to buy up all the old balls that teams are getting rid of for use in free throw practice.
Old 06-26-06, 10:00 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:

Seriously, I would not be shocked if there was a huge backlash about this, especially from shooters.

If I were a Brent Barry or a Michael Redd I would not be happy about this.
I believe Brent Barry was complaining about this at the start of this year's training camp.
Old 06-26-06, 10:20 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Boy, are you guys going to be surprised when you find out how much money I saved on car insurance!
Old 06-26-06, 10:29 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Location: The capital of Texas...that's right...Sunset Valley

Stern's surprise: 6 years after the fact, he will accept Rodman's challenge to duke it out butt naked.

"Married men live longer. Yes. And an indoor cat also lives longer. It's a furball with a broken spirit, that can only look out on a world it can never enjoy. But it does technically live longer." - Bill Maher
Old 06-26-06, 10:33 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I'm guessing its the new ball too.
Old 06-26-06, 11:34 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFly
I bet the box really has a severed head in it. Or Muggsy Bogues.

Of course if it is the new ball I fully expect the Spurs to buy up all the old balls that teams are getting rid of for use in free throw practice.

no one could choke like the bills, but let's hope the mavs don't get 4 chances.

Once upon a time, giants ruled the earth....
Old 06-26-06, 11:44 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Why the hell do they need a new official ball? Stupid, just stupid.
Old 06-27-06, 03:37 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

How sure are we that the new ball actually is harder to shoot with? We read it on a hoopsworld article?