News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 06-26-06, 02:17 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Luis Scola update

I have just read an artcle on Hoopsyhpe.com that Luis Scola's agent is coming over to talk the Spurs. It would be huge to get Luis on the roster. His skills would totally work with Timmy. He is the type of player that works without the ball very well and that is what we need.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-26-06, 02:21 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

This moment to moment Scola stuff is starting to crack me up. What's next?

"This just in.....Luis Scola got up this AM and had a satisfying BM. When asked about the episode Scola replied, 'I don't know what to think anymore.' Stay tuned for lunch updates."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-26-06, 02:22 PM
MomBear

@ Rick

I really really really hope he gets to be a Spur...
Old 06-26-06, 02:23 PM
Abominable snowballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytlingit
I have just read an artcle on Hoopsyhpe.com that Luis Scola's agent is coming over to talk the Spurs. It would be huge to get Luis on the roster. His skills would totally work with Timmy. He is the type of player that works without the ball very well and that is what we need.
thank's for the update. this forum has almost forgotten that we once have drafted this guy.
Old 06-26-06, 02:26 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineballer
thank's for the update. this forum has almost forgotten that we once have drafted this guy.
Old 06-26-06, 02:28 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I was going to start a new thread on this earlier today but I decided to add the article to the "Remember Scola" thread. I don't mind the extra threads especially when it comes to Luis but it shows what people think about him and how much they truely want him in a Spurs uniform.
Old 06-26-06, 02:29 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
He seems to be a high topic of conversation.
Old 06-26-06, 02:31 PM
MomBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurssheriff
Old 06-26-06, 02:33 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Old 06-26-06, 02:34 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I watched this guy ever since the first world championships he played in with Ginobili and even back then he was the leading scorer and rebounder against the U.S. I was like that guy can play. Then then I heard the Spurs drafted him. They need to either sign him or start talking about some possible trades because the guy is truly a talented player. We need a young small foward right away. Micheal is to short (or old) to play there with the big threes in the league today.
Old 06-26-06, 02:37 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomBear
@ Rick

I really really really hope he gets to be a Spur...
Me too, MB, but it seems that is less and less likely. My post doesn't mean that I don't want it to happen, just that there have been about 18,000 threads on Scola in the last few weeks, and it's getting a little comical. (at least to me)
Old 06-26-06, 02:39 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I'm guessing this is all posturing by the Spurs FO, to get Scola in here for less than the whole MLE & that Scola will eventually sign with us.
Old 06-26-06, 02:39 PM
MomBear

yeah I know but I just can't get enough threads for Luis...

Old 06-26-06, 02:42 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Scola or a long SF with his rights or BUST! We need one or the other this summer. Some resolution of the Scola Saga.
Old 06-26-06, 02:46 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Hoopsyhpe.com
Old 06-26-06, 02:47 PM
Abominable snowballer

SR = SCOLAREPORT
Old 06-26-06, 02:49 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytlingit
you do not think he would get in timmy's way
Old 06-26-06, 03:02 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

I thought amente said spur front office thought they might be a problem with playing time so that is one reason they have him on the block

him not starting might hurt that ego of his too
Old 06-26-06, 03:04 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Who starts for the Argie NT? Seems odd Scola doesn't, since he's advertised as their second best player.
Old 06-26-06, 03:05 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

especially if he is so called the best player over there
Old 06-26-06, 03:35 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
SR = SCOLAREPORT
Old 06-26-06, 03:47 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Who is this Scola person y'all keep talking about?
Old 06-26-06, 05:32 PM
Mr. Brightside

sweet...is beno the only draftee that we havent kicked over to the wonderfull EuroLeague? or did he go?
Old 06-26-06, 05:52 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I posted the original article cited in hoopshype (hoopshype only picks up an Argentine article, they're not the source of the information), but people keep posting the same thing, and twisting it's meaning so that it suits what they want to read... so, once again, READ IT SLOWLY and then tell me what you make of it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel2005
For what it's worth, Scola's agent will be in town after the draft to negotiate a contract...I hope he has Pop's number because at this point it seems like there is no communication between the 2 parties!

http://www.hoopshype.com/rumors.htm
I just translated the same excerpt they did, but in its context and a bit more accurately... here, take a look at what I wrote in this post of mine:

Quote:
This is an excerpt from an article in one of Argentina's largest newspapers, La Nación, that once again confirms what we've all been reading lately.

Scola's future again an enigma
Though the Spurs have just rid themselves of center Rasho Nesterovic (was traded to Toronto), they showed no interest in getting Scola. "It's very weird; they say nothing. Maybe they're waiting to see what they can land in the upcoming draft and perhaps then they'll make a decision", pointed out Carlos Raffaelli, one of his agents in Argentina that will travel precisely to the Spurs' hometown the day after tomorrow to keep an eye on a potential negotiation
All I've got to say is, no wonder he's had problems with contractual issues. His agent is totally clueless...
The article isn't written on a positive note. The fact is, the Spurs have not contacted Luis, and his agent will travel on his own to initiate a negotiation the Spurs are not seeking.
fleetwood macbull (from a Bulls' board), on Andrés "Chapu" Nocioni: "Noc is like that guy from Monty Python. They can cut off his arms, his hands, his feet, then his legs, but he still comes rolling his torso at you like he's going to destroy you"
Old 06-26-06, 06:03 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
I posted the original article cited in hoopshype (hoopshype only picks up an Argentine article, they're not the source of the information), but people keep posting the same thing, and twisting it's meaning so that it suits what they want to read... so, once again, READ IT SLOWLY and then tell me what you make of it:

The article isn't written on a positive note. The fact is, the Spurs have not contacted Luis, and his agent will travel on his own to initiate a negotiation the Spurs are not seeking.
I tried to point that out earlier in another thread but to no avail.

Old 06-26-06, 07:12 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Has anyone considered that (1) the Spurs not wanting Scola and (2) his agent heading to SA to talk to the Spurs may actually make sense?

What if the agent is simply conveying to the Spurs what teams Scola is willing to be traded to? What kind of deal Scola would be looking for from such teams, etc.

If the Spurs don't have that info, they can't even begin to trade Scola because no team would take an unsigned player without some assurances on those issues.

In other words, Scola's agent has plenty to talk to the Spurs about even if Scola is never coming here.
Old 06-26-06, 07:56 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

It would be really nice if the Spurs had a change of heart and decided to sign Scola.
I won't hold my breath on that one.
But what if .............. this has all been a CIA Pop smokescreen to get Scola to lower the amount he will sign for?
Something to ponder, anyway.
One thing I don't see out there yet is that long young athletic defensive minded SF that Pop wants, or a team willing to take on Scolas' rights for higher draft pick so we can draft one.
And if there is any truth to the JR/Barry trade scenerio, then we are running out of players we can afford to combine with his rights in order to get that "special" SF via trade now that Rasho is gone.
Very interesting.
Old 06-26-06, 08:00 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I wouldn't be stunned to still see Scola a Spur.

More likely is he gets traded for a first round pick or something.
Old 06-26-06, 08:33 PM
SpursReport Rookie

If the Spurs indeed are not interested in bringing in Scola they have managed to diminish his trade value by not even showing much interest in him. How do you think other teams look at this? Some team is going to trade a late first round pick or even a second round pick for him when it's all said and done, unless Luis signs an extension with Tau beforehand. Sounds to me like the Spurs have not handled this situation appropriately thus far. Hopefully this will change between now and July 1 otherwise we'll have wasted a good opportunity to bring in another skilled big man to play with TD.
Old 06-26-06, 08:58 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

because the Spurs dont want to bring him in this year doesnt dimish Scola the player. Any NBA team would know the guys talent...prob has scouts that have personally seen him play and prob have plenty of tape on him. The Spurs obviously dont think he fits right and now and he was never a priority to them to begin with from what Amente has said
Old 06-26-06, 09:07 PM
SpursReport Team Member

If some of us had a say, Luis Scola could become the only player to ever have his jersey retired by a team in a league he never played in.

If RC and Pop think he is worth bringing over, then he will get brought over. If he doesn't get brought over, we probably shouldn't count on him being the next great foreign NBA baller.
Old 06-26-06, 09:17 PM
SpursReport Rookie

The Spurs are the cream of the crop when it comes to drafting foreigners but the way they are dealing with Scola seems to be inappropriate. It's one thing if they don't think Scola will fit in next toTD but it's a completely different story as far them not even communicating with the guy or his agent. The Spurs obviously don't want Scola and are probably hoping that by ignoring him and his/agent that they will demand that his rights be traded. The problem with this is that when you're forced to trade somebody you don't get equal value in return. Therefore, the Spurs are diminishing Scola's trade value.
Old 06-26-06, 09:22 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
The Spurs are the cream of the crop when it comes to drafting foreigners but the way they are dealing with Scola seems to be inappropriate. It's one thing if they don't think Scola will fit in next toTD but it's a completely different story as far them not even communicating with the guy or his agent. The Spurs obviously don't want Scola and are probably hoping that by ignoring him and his/agent that they will demand that his rights be traded. The problem with this is that when you're forced to trade somebody you don't get equal value in return. Therefore, the Spurs are diminishing Scola's trade value.

And by diminishing his trade value, they are therefore reducing the amount of money it will take to sign him. It's dirty, but I think this may be what they have had in mind since the hard feelings last summer.
Old 06-26-06, 09:35 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
I dont think anyone really knows what the Spurs have or have not told Scola or Scola's agent, because the Spurs do not talk about anything pubically this time of year we only get one side. even that is questionable. Hell...someone posted the other day in one of the 10,345 Scola threads over the past few weeks that according to Olé Newspaper in Argentina the Spurs had told Scola he was not in their plans for this year.

Which is it?
Old 06-26-06, 09:39 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Since you quoted me, I'll assume the general tone of your reply is in direct reference to me, even if not alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ
Has anyone considered that (1) the Spurs not wanting Scola and (2) his agent heading to SA to talk to the Spurs may actually make sense?
Huh? What do you mean 'has anyone considered'? Did you get the impression I was implying those were casual and unrelated facts? not only do I believe they're causal and not casual, but they make perfect sense as it fits perfectly with our reading of the situation all along.
Quote:
What if the agent is simply conveying to the Spurs what teams Scola is willing to be traded to? What kind of deal Scola would be looking for from such teams, etc.

If the Spurs don't have that info, they can't even begin to trade Scola because no team would take an unsigned player without some assurances on those issues.
As it comes loud and clear in the article, it's the Spurs' utter indifference that moves his agent to travel to San Antonio to engage in conversations with them. If the Spurs were interested in hearing about his expectations to facilitate a trade, they would be the ones taking the initiative, not Scola.
Quote:
In other words, Scola's agent has plenty to talk to the Spurs about even if Scola is never coming here.
What did you think we're reading into the deal, that he's going to San Antonio on holidays? Of course he has plenty to talk whether the Spurs want Scola or not. For further reassurance, yes, it's pretty obvious his agent comes on business. It's the specifics of such business that's relevant. And, judging by recent information and now confirmed by this excerpt, those options all point away from San Antonio. That's the point.
fleetwood macbull (from a Bulls' board), on Andrés "Chapu" Nocioni: "Noc is like that guy from Monty Python. They can cut off his arms, his hands, his feet, then his legs, but he still comes rolling his torso at you like he's going to destroy you"
Old 06-26-06, 09:41 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

it sounds like he was agreeing with you.

but thanks for the input.
Old 06-26-06, 09:41 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFly
And by diminishing his trade value, they are therefore reducing the amount of money it will take to sign him. It's dirty, but I think this may be what they have had in mind since the hard feelings last summer.
It is business, dirty or not. CIA Pop and RC are masters of deception. Heck, there are probably scouts from other teams following the SA scouts.

With two all stars and one superstar, salary limitations will continue to be a problem in adding complementing pieces. The Spurs will have to wheel and deal for a few more years to get those pieces.
Old 06-26-06, 09:42 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzG
I dont think anyone really knows what the Spurs have or have not told Scola or Scola's agent, because the Spurs do not talk about anything pubically this time of year we only get one side. even that is questionable.
Everything is questionable. The Spurs do not publish their intentions through graffitis, it's up to you to read into the information available and draw conclusions. I see a clear pattern here, and it's driving Scola away from the Spurs. I wish I could say otherwise, but that's my honest read.
Quote:
Hell...someone posted the other day in one of the 10,345 Scola threads over the past few weeks that according to Olé Newspaper in Argentina the Spurs had told Scola he was not in their plans for this year.

Which is it?
Actually, in the article I posted the other day, it cites 'sources from Vitoria', that do not necessarily mean Scola. It may be another agent, it may be an insider, it may be sources within Tau... those two articles don't contradict each other.
Old 06-26-06, 09:42 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I meant it's dirty in a good way ... good for the team anyway.

Old 06-26-06, 09:55 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Actually, in the article I posted the other day, it cites 'sources from Vitoria', that do not necessarily mean Scola. It may be another agent, it may be an insider, it may be sources within Tau... those two articles don't contradict each other.
Sure...we dont know who the source is but by going by your translation it mentioned sources claiming Scola had been informed he was not in SA's plans. that would kinda go against the notion iof Scola's agent nor Scola having any idea what SA plans to do....or SA having not said anything to them at all

who knows at this point...all I know is

Amente has been saying for over a year that the Spurs didnt have Scola as the priority some Spurs fans figured. I just dont see any of this as a suprise since he has been saying for weeks now that SA wasnt looking to bring him over this summer from what he was hearing
Old 06-26-06, 10:02 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Sure...we dont know who the source is but by going by your translation it mentioned sources claiming Scola had been informed he was not in SA's plans. that would kinda go against the notion iof Scola's agent nor Scola having any idea what SA plans to do....or SA having not said anything to them at all

Amente has been saying for over a year that the Spurs didnt have Scola as the priority some Spurs fans figured. I just dont see any of this as a suprise since he has been saying for weeks now that SA wasnt looking to bring him over this summer from what he was hearing
If the Spurs don't plan on bringing in Scola this summer then they never willl bring him in. They either need to trade him or get something for him before he signs an extension with Tau. The Spurs have been great when it comes to drafting Euros recently but when it comes to actual free agent signings/trades we have not been one of the better front offices. They better not blow their chance with Scola.
Old 06-26-06, 10:07 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Can he guard Dirk?
Old 06-26-06, 10:16 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

They do need a post presence when Tim is on the bench. Nazr and Horry don't provide much of a post threat. Will Oberto get good enough to play? Is Scola better than Oberto?
Old 06-26-06, 10:20 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Since you quoted me, I'll assume the general tone of your reply is in direct reference to me, even if not alone.

Huh? What do you mean 'has anyone considered'? Did you get the impression I was implying those were casual and unrelated facts? not only do I believe they're causal and not casual, but they make perfect sense as it fits perfectly with our reading of the situation all along.

As it comes loud and clear in the article, it's the Spurs' utter indifference that moves his agent to travel to San Antonio to engage in conversations with them. If the Spurs were interested in hearing about his expectations to facilitate a trade, they would be the ones taking the initiative, not Scola.

What did you think we're reading into the deal, that he's going to San Antonio on holidays? Of course he has plenty to talk whether the Spurs want Scola or not. For further reassurance, yes, it's pretty obvious his agent comes on business. It's the specifics of such business that's relevant. And, judging by recent information and now confirmed by this excerpt, those options all point away from San Antonio. That's the point.
Whoa, chill out man. Have a Quilmes.
Old 06-26-06, 10:21 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
You're right, I didn't seem to recall they supposedly let him know that. But still, the time frame is martinal, so it's up in the air which came first. I in fact remember something similar going on with Javtokas articles through the Israeli and Lithuanian press a few weeks ago.
Quote:

And I agree. That's the whole point, everything going back quite some time points in the same direction: Scola is not signing with the Spurs. It shouldn't come as a surprise, and people shouldn't expect otherwise. Ever since last season I've come to accept that.
Old 06-26-06, 10:25 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
The Spurs have been great when it comes to drafting Euros recently but when it comes to actual free agent signings/trades we have not been one of the better front offices.
What foreign players that SA has drafted and decided they wanted on the team have they not been able to sign? Parker, Gino, Beno, Javtokas most likely coming up, Ian coming prob next year etc.

As well as the spurs have drafted (outside going after Jason Kidd) the Spurs have not had to go out and try and sign other big time players as other teams have had to do either. When you get people like a Parker and Ginobili in the draft that become your true core with Tim Duncan you dont exactly NEED to make big flashy trades fans cry for are blockbuster FA signings. The Spurs FO isnt pefect but 3 titles with their methods has shown to work

Quote:
I in fact remember something similar going on with Javtokas articles through the Israeli and Lithuanian press a few weeks ago.
yeah....that was strange as well. basically we dont know who has said what...some say SA has said nothing...once source says Scola has been told SA doesnt want to bring him in. Guess we will find out soon enough
Old 06-26-06, 10:26 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Whoa, chill out man. Have a Quilmes.
OK, OK... I'll admit to being a little cranky... bad day...
Old 06-26-06, 10:28 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
OK, OK... I'll admit to being a little cranky... bad day...
Go watch Quilmes beat River Plate and you'll feel better.
Old 06-27-06, 04:27 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV
This moment to moment Scola stuff is starting to crack me up. What's next?

"This just in.....Luis Scola got up this AM and had a satisfying BM. When asked about the episode Scola replied, 'I don't know what to think anymore.' Stay tuned for lunch updates."
What constitutes a "satisfying BM"?
Old 06-27-06, 09:48 AM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
This is an excerpt from an article in one of Argentina's largest newspapers, La Nación, that once again confirms what we've all been reading lately.

Scola's future again an enigma
Though the Spurs have just rid themselves of center Rasho Nesterovic (was traded to Toronto), they showed no interest in getting Scola. "It's very weird; they say nothing. Maybe they're waiting to see what they can land in the upcoming draft and perhaps then they'll make a decision", pointed out Carlos Raffaelli, one of his agents in Argentina that will travel precisely to the Spurs' hometown the day after tomorrow to keep an eye on a potential negotiation
"to keep an eye on a potential negotiation"

Key word: "potential"

Couldn't that also be intrepreted to mean,
"to oversee any possible trades?"