News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 06-25-06, 02:51 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Free Agent: Chris Webber

Chris Webber is an unrestricted free agent and quietly he still posted 20 and 10 last year...i think we should offer him a phat 1 year deal and see if he will sign to win his only championship and he could significantly help us on the boards and defense down low...sure his game is not where it was like a few years back, but he still has a year or two left in his tank....what are yalls thoughts on this?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-25-06, 02:52 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

He's not an unrestricted free agent. He's not a free agent of any kind.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-25-06, 02:53 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Spurs have no cap space to offer him a "phat" contract.
Old 06-25-06, 02:56 AM
SpursReport Rookie

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2441631

cwebb has an early termination policy

sorry thats "early termination option"...he is an unrestricted free agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoLd50
Spurs have no cap space to offer him a "phat" contract.
im sure they can make some draft day deals to get under the cap
Old 06-25-06, 02:57 AM
SpursReport Team Member

2002 was only 4 years ago and the Kings were trying to knock out the Lakers for the NBA finals. He would be a good solid pickup on the cheap.
Old 06-25-06, 03:00 AM
SpursReport Rookie

exactly and its not like he doesnt still have the skills...he could mirror timmy very well, much better than udanis haslim did for shaq...plus all those years of kings v mavs, im sure he had to guard dirk a time or two...so he is no stranger to it
Old 06-25-06, 03:01 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Webber makes something like $22 million a year. No way is he opting out of that contract, he won't make anything close to it again. And the Spurs couldn't clear that much cap space in one summer.

So keep smokin, dude. Keep dreamin.
Old 06-25-06, 03:04 AM
SpursReport Rookie

webber has made his money....it comes to a point where he has to ask himself...do i want a championship? am i really going to win one with AI? am i really going to win even the eastern conference? i think he knows its now or never...plus he doesnt even like playing in phily so its very much a reality if the spurs put an offer out there
Old 06-25-06, 03:10 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Webber is not going to toss aside $20 million for a possibility of a ring.
Old 06-25-06, 03:12 AM
SpursReport Rookie

i dunno i kind of put him in a karl malone category where he was willing to accept a mid level acception just for the real chance to win a ring...dont underestimate the power of the Ring
Old 06-25-06, 03:21 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Dude, it's not going to happen. Forget it.
Old 06-25-06, 03:24 AM
SpursReport Rookie

why dont u hang out on the mavs message board...thats what not gonna happen, a championship
Old 06-25-06, 03:26 AM
SpursReport Rookie

How many years does Web have on his current contract?
these guys like payton and malone start playing for cheap and looking for that ring when thier BIG contract is over, not terminate it and play for "peanuts"

I'm sure he thinks hes got 3-4 years left in him anyways.
Old 06-25-06, 03:44 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by neileshv
why dont u hang out on the mavs message board...thats what not gonna happen, a championship
We kinda like to talk about realistic ideas around here. I know I do. You'll have to wait two years, when his contract ends, before you can start trying to get him on the cheap. Until then - trust me - it's not gonna happen.
Old 06-25-06, 04:01 AM
MomBear

Naw... he's not a team player... sorry.
Old 06-25-06, 04:35 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Chris Webber is an unrestricted free agent and quietly he still posted 20 and 10 last year...i think we should offer him a phat 1 year deal and see if he will sign to win his only championship and he could significantly help us on the boards and defense down low...sure his game is not where it was like a few years back, but he still has a year or two left in his tank....what are yalls thoughts on this?
Quote:

Webber has a player option, but he'd be stupid to leave behind 2 years at 42M.
Quote:
No, the Spurs can't make draft day deals to get under the cap. How do you suppose they'll be under the cap far enough to offset the MLE? That'd mean dumping 15M+ in contracts... how do you suggest they do it? dumping Tim Duncan to the Hawks?

Even if all of the above didn't apply, he'd be a bad fit. Terrible idea all around. Next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by l=w
We kinda like to talk about realistic ideas around here. I know I do.
Yeah, right...

There are no more than a handful of posters who fit that bill.

Sad, but true.
fleetwood macbull (from a Bulls' board), on Andrés "Chapu" Nocioni: "Noc is like that guy from Monty Python. They can cut off his arms, his hands, his feet, then his legs, but he still comes rolling his torso at you like he's going to destroy you"
Old 06-25-06, 04:53 AM
SpursReport Rookie

CW! no no no no no no no NO!!
Old 06-25-06, 06:24 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Chris webber and his bong collection will retire in Philly.
Old 06-25-06, 06:38 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

HAH, no man walks away from $40 million for a ring. No one.
Old 06-25-06, 08:48 AM
SpursReport Team Member

This thread is hilarious!
Old 06-25-06, 08:58 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo
HAH, no man walks away from $40 million for a ring. No one.

what did Latrell leave 20 mill on the table for? oh yeah .....hes just an idiot!
Old 06-25-06, 09:12 AM
Mr. Brightside

he's a bum
Old 06-25-06, 10:08 AM
SpursReport Team Member

My thought is there is NO WAY IN HE!! that CWebb is leaving the sixers and giving up his cash. Don't get me wrong the sixers would LOVE to move him this year, but even they know it's not likely (even being as close to the Knicks as we are--that's a joke btw). We (sorry the Sixers) will likely work hard to move AI and possibly another player or two to free up $$$.

Quote:
Old 06-25-06, 10:49 AM
SpursReport Team Member

BOTTOM LINE, webber isn't walking out on 40+ million to do basically NOTHING.

this thread needs to be LOCKED.
Old 06-25-06, 11:14 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

CWebb just is not the same player. Yeah he pulled down a 20-10 season but in crunch time he still looks slow, and unable to dominate a game like he used to. I saw a bunch of sixers games this season, and I noticed he gets his points and rebounds but in almost every game late in the game he would usually fade, he just looks like that knee is still bothering him.
Old 06-25-06, 11:42 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooo

Old 06-25-06, 12:11 PM
SpursReport Team Member

There are definitely more interesting options on that list than Webber. Posey, Ariza, Songalia, Rasual Butler, Marcus Banks, and Qyntel Woods and are all available. I'm not sure how much it would take to sign any one of these guys, but all of them have upside including size, length and athleticism at the 3 position, potential for a great back up PG, and some post work. Don't focus on stars...look for solid role players.
Old 06-25-06, 12:12 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by l=w
Dude, it's not going to happen. Forget it.
Thank you. These ridiculous suggestions have to stop.
Old 06-25-06, 03:24 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ro_50
Thank you. These ridiculous suggestions have to stop.
what ridiculous suggestions?

anyway...
so hwo about yao? i think he'd fit in the system pretty well. i think we should try to get yao.. forget small ball, lets make OTHER teams change to counter US

--
or if we are going to do small ball, lets get chris paul

Paul
Parker
Ginobili
Bowen
Duncan

now thats small
Old 06-25-06, 03:48 PM
SpursReport Team Member

HELL NO TO CHRIS WEBBER...........he can take his fab 5 cheating ass back to Philthadelphia
Old 06-25-06, 06:57 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:

No one would offer him what he is making now so it is best he doesn't opt out and there is no way the Spurs can get enough under the cap this summer or next unless they "dump" at least of the big three contracts they currentlt possess (manu, tim & parker.)

Webber is on the trading block though.

But again, a lot of salary would have to leave the Spurs to get him in a Spurs uni and
I doubt he's wanted with that much salary he's carrying.
Old 06-25-06, 07:19 PM
SpursReport Team Member

We have needs on this team.....Chris Webber doesn't fit any of those needs in any way, shape, or form.....period.

It's remote anyways, he's not opting out of his contract.
Old 06-25-06, 08:48 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Can we call a timeout on this thread?
Old 06-25-06, 11:10 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdayi1
We have needs on this team.....Chris Webber doesn't fit any of those needs in any way, shape, or form.....period.

It's remote anyways, he's not opting out of his contract.
i think he'd spread out the floor just fine, we could have used him out there against dallas
Old 06-26-06, 01:00 AM
SpursReport Rookie

we have a HUGE hole in our team at pf...if u think bonner is the answer, your wrong...the spurs need to find someone to play along side timmy...someone who can space the floor, hit an outside J...quite like udanis haslim..and grab some boards..webb can do all that and for the ring, im tellin you, people do make sacrifices
Old 06-26-06, 02:41 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
exactly and its not like he doesnt still have the skills...he could mirror timmy very well, much better than udanis haslim did for shaq...plus all those years of kings v mavs, im sure he had to guard dirk a time or two...so he is no stranger to it
Udonis Haslim provided precisely what the Heat needed, and he didn't have to have the ball in his hands to be happy. He was more valuable for the Heat than Webber wouldn've been. Also, Webber seems to be playing on one leg these days. He's a prima donna who doesn't know he's damaged goods and a has been. Timmy needs a Haslim next to him, not a Webber.
Old 06-26-06, 02:44 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Haslem = Malik
Old 06-26-06, 02:45 AM
SpursReport Rookie

And Zo wants to possibly leave Miami for a larger role elsewhere. The Spurs offer the perfect combination of a starting center spot on a championship caliber team. That's where the focus should be.