News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 06-24-06, 01:30 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Possible trade?

Here's a potential trade that could take care of several team needs.

Send Barry, Oberto, and Williams to NO
NO then does a sign-&-trade with Speedy Claxton, and send him with JR Smith & PJ Brown to Spurs.

I'm not sure if it works out financially, but it takes care of the overflow of PFs, gives us an experienced C, a solid backup PG, and an athletic wing player. Brown is kinda old (37), but this would be the final year of his contract, and he's not a bad option to bring off the bench. I also read that he wants to play for a contender.

Also, for those who don't know much about Matt Bonner, let me share this. I live in FL and am a Gator fan. I got to watch Bonner alot over his 4 years at UF, and I really think he can be a contributing player to this squad. He's no stud player, but the boy can shoot. I see the Spurs turning him into Rob Horry's replacement. Not saying he's going to hit game-winners left and right in the playoffs, but he's a guy that can spread the defense with his range. And I really think he can learn from his teammates on how to become a better defender. He's a hard worker, and being on a championship-caliber team will benefit him alot. Just like Danny Ferry or Steve Kerr, good shooter but no much on defense. But hey, how did those guys do for us?

Feel free to let me know what you think.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-24-06, 01:36 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

i only see two teams involved. spurs and NO
?
how does it take care of Several teams? you mean the Gators?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-24-06, 01:38 PM
SpursReport Rookie

several SPURS team needs. Sorry
Old 06-24-06, 01:40 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurs/gators33
several SPURS team needs. Sorry
yip

haah. the gators. i'm hilarious.
sorry man, i new what your were saying, obvsiouly, i'm just an a-hole.

i'm neutral about the trade idea.
Old 06-24-06, 01:41 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Spurs need backup PG, good C, and an athletic wing player. Seems like many agree that we have too many PFs at this point. It also makes us a little younger (except for Brown).
Old 06-24-06, 01:43 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

obviously we know claxton will fit in well (but it again hurts beno)

jr smith?
pj brown, a few years ago would have been hot. i don't know anymore
Old 06-24-06, 01:45 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

spurs have to wait two months to trade Williams with other players so I think the Spurs, Hornets and Speedy would to have certain things settled before then.

Salaries match I think. If I am NO, I don't take that deal.
Basicly I would be giving up two guys I like (Speedy & PJ) for B. Barry.
Old 06-24-06, 01:47 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Both players (PJ & Speedy) have expressed wanting to go elsewhere, why not get something for them?
Old 06-24-06, 01:49 PM
Abominable snowballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amente
If I am NO, I don't take that deal.
Basicly I would be giving up two guys I like (Speedy & PJ) for B. Barry.
remember Amente, you've been the one who talked about the SR-fan law!
Old 06-24-06, 01:49 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

man, if i was in NO i'd stay there. Chris Paul is awesome
Old 06-24-06, 01:50 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Beno has the size to play the two on the 2nd team, he can shoot it and has decent size. This would be a great trade. PJ is the prize.
Old 06-24-06, 01:54 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Both players (PJ & Speedy) have expressed wanting to go elsewhere, why not get something for them?

PJ has, Speedy only mentioned (according to a Dallas paper) the Spurs would interest him again but NO wants him back, NY has interest as well as another team. So he could well get more than what the Spurs can are willing to offer. He hasn't expressed he wants to leave and in fact he is willing to continue to backup C. Paul but he speaks of other possible teams because he is a free agent.
Old 06-24-06, 02:05 PM
SpursReport Team Member

NO might want to trade PJ now, so they can get something back for him, his contract expires after next year...I still think Barry is a possibility for NO, becuase Scott has come out & said that he is looking for 2 or 3 shooters & Barry fits that description perfectly & also the fact that he said 2 of his 3 sg's would not be back..namely Smith & Macijauskas.
Old 06-24-06, 02:46 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

did not pj say it was 50-50 he would demand to be traded to a title contender
Old 06-24-06, 02:55 PM
SpursReport Rookie

The spurs need a starting center, and i think the bucks have him. jamal magloire has one year left on his contract 06-07. They already have a good center in andrew bogut, the spurs can trade the rights of scola, and a player, for Magloire. The bucks need a starting power forward and scola is their man.
Old 06-24-06, 03:41 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Am I the only one here that thinks Speedy Claxton is overrated ? He is extremely quick and fast but he is also injury prone. His jumper is suspect at best and he really doesn't shoot the 3 that well.

I'm thrilled that he won a ring with us and I am grateful for what he did for us while he was here, but I wouldn't just take him back without looking at how he would fit with this current team.
Old 06-24-06, 03:48 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Heck Yeah SA Should Do This! ; NO/OKC - Probably Not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spursfan808
Beno has the size to play the two on the 2nd team, he can shoot it and has decent size. This would be a great trade. PJ is the prize.
AND would allow for the same flexibility that the Williams contract (which is basically all he is, contrary to previous thoughts of mine I've posted [hey, I make mistakes! ;oP]) provides.

As for Beno, I think he's proven his inadequacy for being a truly quality backup point (no, he really does not have the size to be a 2...come on now) on a championship-contending team. As I've stated before, I'm afraid that he was simply a pre-draft-camp wonder who worked his way into the 1st round strictly on that. I guarantee you that, if they were able to go back to draft night and do it all over again, the Spurs would snatch up Anderson Varejao (and maybe another player or two taken after Udrih) in a second.

Regarding the trade proposal this thread is based upon, of course the Spurs would do it! I have serious doubts that New Orleans or OKC (or wherever they end up) would do it, though. Unless they just really like Oberto, and they really, really wanted Brent, I just don't see it happening. I mean, maybe picks would have to be used to sweeten the deal for them, but man, the Spurs don't have a 1st-rounder in this or even next year's draft (which I actually thought was not allowed, but I guess that rule changed with the last CBA). I know the Spurs love 2nd's, but really, you need a 1st at least every few years! (Then again, with what they've done with Mahinmi - exactly what they've done with their 2nd's lately - what the heck do I know?!? :oP jk)

Last edited by rob42378; 06-24-06 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-24-06, 03:51 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmtcsc
Am I the only one here that thinks Speedy Claxton is overrated ? He is extremely quick and fast but he is also injury prone. His jumper is suspect at best and he really doesn't shoot the 3 that well.

I'm thrilled that he won a ring with us and I am grateful for what he did for us while he was here, but I wouldn't just take him back without looking at how he would fit with this current team.
he is very overrated by spur fans
Old 06-24-06, 03:51 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan9
i only see two teams involved. spurs and NO
?
how does it take care of Several teams? you mean the Gators?
he actually said
"Here's a potential trade that could take care of several team needs"
so he was right to begin with lol....also being an a-hole sorry

i think its a good trade obviously, but why would the hornets want to send so many guys over to us if we are both in the southwest...otherwise it would satisfy team needs
Old 06-24-06, 03:52 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Speedy is a talent. Not a superstar, but a guy who brings energy and hustle and smarts, basketball smarts. He is injury prone, that's a part of his history we all have to be aware off, in 2003 he missed from Dec to Mar if I'm not mistaken, that's a lot of games, and then Pop didn't put him back in until late March or in April. But I like his talent and I liked that in the playoffs he was very very comfortable.
Old 06-24-06, 03:57 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Why don't we have a first round pick next year? NBAdraft.net shows us picking 29th...you cant trade consecutive first rounders, so I'm pretty sure that pick is still ours.
Old 06-24-06, 04:17 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Underestimation Of Scola

Quote:
Originally Posted by daved
The spurs need a starting center, and i think the bucks have him. jamal magloire has one year left on his contract 06-07. They already have a good center in andrew bogut, the spurs can trade the rights of scola, and a player, for Magloire. The bucks need a starting power forward and scola is their man.
As much sense as this makes, I continue to say that Scola (based on seeing him play live in six games while studying abroad in Spain) would bring back exactly what they've missed since the departure of Malik Rose, plus SO much more. Even with the European League MVP titles piling up for him, I don't think many people in SA or on SpursReport truly appreciate what he would be able to bring to the team. He's a slightly taller, slightly thinner, much more athletic Malik Rose, who can score jumpers from the free throw line extended out to very nearly the FIBA 3-pt line, AND drive (and, dare I say, SLASH) the lane with nearly the seemingly reckless, yet controlled, abandon that we all have seen and expect from Manu. This guy, Scola, is simply a BEAST, and provides things that everyone both on the Spurs staff AND on SR have stated the team needs to acquire in the offseason!!! I just wish that there were more video - full-game video, especially - so that all of you could see, so that we ALL could somehow DEMAND the Spurs finally bring this guy over! Ugh!!! I'm telling you guys (and girls), this guy is EVERY bit as good as the reputation that supercedes him. And of course Spurs brass know everything and more than I do. So if the team decides to trade his rights to another team, you all should expect a GREAT deal in return.

Alright, I'll go and cool down now(!) Lol. Feel like I'm beating my head against a brick wall here... But just don't underestimate what Luis Scola could and should bring to this team. He SHOULD play here. If he doesn't, we all can expect something/someone very high in quality in return. That is all! ;oP
Old 06-24-06, 06:39 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjjrfan
Speedy is a talent. Not a superstar, but a guy who brings energy and hustle and smarts, basketball smarts. He is injury prone, that's a part of his history we all have to be aware off, in 2003 he missed from Dec to Mar if I'm not mistaken, that's a lot of games, and then Pop didn't put him back in until late March or in April. But I like his talent and I liked that in the playoffs he was very very comfortable.
He maybe injury prone, but that is a risk with every bball player. No one can be certain that they are going to be healthy the entire season. To top it off, there are not to much good pg's on the market. Terry is on top of the market in this postion. The others are expensive. Ex. Mike James. I would like Speedy cause he will come off the bench and can contribute similar skills that Parker does (not as well) and be comfortable with Pop's game. I think if we would have a backup pg that contributed in the Mavs series, we would have won.
Old 06-24-06, 07:19 PM
Mr. Brightside

let Beno back up TP....its time we give him a role...
Old 06-24-06, 08:04 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

i'm starting my own franchise w/

Sean Marks
Darko Milicic
Malik Rose
Devin Brown
Beno Udrih
Old 06-24-06, 09:28 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Here's a potential trade that could take care of several team needs.

Send Barry, Oberto, and Williams to NO
NO then does a sign-&-trade with Speedy Claxton, and send him with JR Smith & PJ Brown to Spurs.

Feel free to let me know what you think.
Moot point. The 24-hour deadline to redirect Williams has passed, so he will be a Spur until at least December.
Old 06-24-06, 09:50 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

If it works sounds like an improvement.
Old 06-24-06, 10:11 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsucksForever
Moot point. The 24-hour deadline to redirect Williams has passed, so he will be a Spur until at least December.
That's not the rule in this case. He cannot be traded for two months from the date of the trade in conjunction with any other player, but he may be traded alone for other players.
Old 06-24-06, 10:42 PM
Mr. Brightside

Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan9
i'm starting my own franchise w/

Sean Marks
Darko Milicic
Malik Rose
Devin Brown
Beno Udrih
good luck..........GO DARKO!!!!!!!
Old 06-24-06, 11:39 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daved
That trade has possibilities except for that darn salary cap.
Old 06-25-06, 01:04 AM
SpursReport Rookie

....wow.
Old 06-26-06, 01:24 AM
SpursReport Team Member

He's overrated because of the awful backup PG's we've had.