News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-06, 04:04 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Avery mocking his own hometown reporter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaF4LUzVV1c&eurl=
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-19-06, 04:13 PM
SpursReport Rookie

avery just doesn't have the discipline of pop. he is smart but not there yet. He will learn though.

-Fredrich Nietzsche
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-19-06, 04:31 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Completely uncalled for and a bushleague move by Avery. Saw this last night live on NBATV. He and Eddie Sefko have a history that goes back to when Eddie covered the Rockets and Avery played for them. Earlier this year they had words based on a story Eddie wrote about a tirade Avery had in the lockeroom after a loss to the Orlando Magic. Avery preferred that things like this be kept in the "room" and Eddie reported it. Still a bushleague move by a coach that was angry because he screwed up and realistically cost his team the game.
Old 06-19-06, 04:41 PM
Mr. Brightside

pppssh
Old 06-19-06, 04:45 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

A person in such high authority as an NBA head coach needs to let old grudges go. By the time he's done, AJ is going to make a lot of enemies.
Old 06-19-06, 04:59 PM
SpursReport Team Member

What was he trying to prove with that? Pop can slam the media pretty well but knows how to move on after the slam has been dealt. AJ just kept on with it. He's pretty much an ass lately. Give Manu #6 please. At least that way the number is sure to be retired someday like a lot of people around here think it will.
Old 06-19-06, 04:59 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Avery must have left all the class he had back in San Antonio. What has got into him? I seriously think Cuban has warped the mans thinking. In every game Dallas lost in the playoffs this year, Avery has followed Cubans lead and basically blamed the refs. He did however give the heat limited props after game 4. According to Avery and Cuban the mavs should be undefeated so far. I think that they are coming off as real ***holes after the losses.
Old 06-19-06, 05:01 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I agree, Avery has been influenced by Cuban for the worse.
Old 06-19-06, 05:47 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

hey Avery, be littling a memeber of the media, someone from your home town no less, make you feel like better?....bottomline is this guys a jerk through and through and I'll be glad when this team gets NOTHING at the end of this season. It just took a man like Cuban to bring out the best in Avery. Pay backs a ***** Avery, Pay backs a *****...

Dont kid yourself guys, Cuban might be a classes jerk but in no way did he influence Avery. He's always been a jerk, and always will be. It just took a man like Cuban to "allow" the rest of us see this side of him finally.

If you ever want to know what a coach is like, just take a look at his team. That team is a reflection of their coach, their is no doubt this team is an Avery coached team.

Last edited by Malice; 06-19-06 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-19-06, 05:53 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

The longer the playoffs go on, the more immature and petty Avery seems. I never woulda guessed I'd see this kind of finger pointing, pouting, and general boorishness from Avery. So disappointing.
Old 06-19-06, 06:37 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Location: The capital of Texas...that's right...Sunset Valley

Does anybody else find it funny that Avery of all people is mocking the way somebody else talks?

"Married men live longer. Yes. And an indoor cat also lives longer. It's a furball with a broken spirit, that can only look out on a world it can never enjoy. But it does technically live longer." - Bill Maher
Old 06-19-06, 06:46 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchmo
Does anybody else find it funny that Avery of all people is mocking the way somebody else talks?
Oh, the irony ensues.
Old 06-19-06, 06:49 PM
SpursReport Team Member

OK, so maybe DRob and Tim kept the real Avery in the closet? I heard Avery was gone after 1999 cuz of issues with Tim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice
Dont kid yourself guys, Cuban might be a classes jerk but in no way did he influence Avery. He's always been a jerk, and always will be. It just took a man like Cuban to "allow" the rest of us see this side of him finally.
Old 06-19-06, 06:52 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I f***in' hate sportswriters and reporters so I loved watching that. Sorry. They have no qualifications or expertise and yet most of them constantly sh1t on athletes.

Get yours today!!
Old 06-19-06, 06:55 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadzilla99
I f***in' hate sportswriters and reporters so I loved watching that. Sorry. They have no qualifications or expertise and yet most of them constantly sh1t on athletes.
I dont think thats quite the point though. There is a time and place to flame sports "anaylysts", but a finals post-game interview isnt one of them... All the reporter did was ask question that was already on everybodies mind. Didnt deserve to be put on the spot like that by some whiny coach.
Old 06-19-06, 06:59 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Disgraceful. Fine him.
Old 06-19-06, 07:01 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Stringing him along through the whole scenario and then telling him not to studder.

Absolutely classless.
Old 06-19-06, 07:06 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

basically he refused to answer any question (was an a'hole) from this reporter cause he is bitter, should he expect a fine?
Old 06-19-06, 07:16 PM
SpursReport Rookie

i watched that and i could realize how much of an classless jerk AJ has become. you are mad...yes we know! you are frustrated...yes we know! you seems hopped up in drugs by the way you had this eerie smile through the whole interview as if you were spaced out...trust me, sometimes the only way to get through the night after similar painful losses was to take a few pills.

yet, you still treat people with dignity and the respect they deserve, no matter how much bad you are feeling. and then to make fun of a person who has a speech impediment, ultimate level of classness. true, maybe he stuttered b/c he was just dumbfounded how much of a** AJ was...or maybe he does have a stuttering problem. in any case...be a man and show some class AJ.

GIVE MANU #6 NEXT YEAR!!!!!!!!
Old 06-19-06, 07:23 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

evidently melting down
Old 06-19-06, 08:30 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Objectivity
I wonder how no1 sees the irony that this entire board is nothing but Spurs fan complining, whining, *****ing, and being classless about how everyone else is the world is complaining, whining, *****ing, and being classless.
What goes around comes around. Not a very bright first post if I may say. We are enjoying the payback. We are not the players or owner or coaches. We are anonymous people posting on a forum that encourages discussion. What is the problem with that Mr Objectivity? It is not like our players, coaches and owner would stoop to that level. We KNOW they wouldn't. We are just amazed how much and how often the entire mav organization whines and are classless in the public eye.

Last edited by curiousspirit; 06-19-06 at 08:40 PM.
Old 06-19-06, 08:33 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Don't lump me in with you curiousspirit. I f'in hate sportswriters and really got a kick outta that vid. Hate the Mavs too but am not going to get worked up about every thing they do like its the end of the world.

Get yours today!!
Old 06-19-06, 08:42 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Don't lump me in with you curiousspirit. I f'in hate sportswriters and really got a kick outta that vid. Hate the Mavs too but am not going to get worked up about every thing they do like its the end of the world.
Sorry, I was referring to the first paragraph. I edited my post. I wouldn't presume to lump anyone in my posts but I just have a tendency to use the plural when I respond.
Old 06-19-06, 08:45 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I guess that by Avery belittling the Dallas reporter, it made him feel like a tough guy. Well Avery looked totally pathetic and completely pitiful. Popovich has more class in his left earlobe than Mr. Johnson has in his entire "whining" body.
Old 06-19-06, 08:48 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousspirit
Sorry, I was referring to the first paragraph. I edited my post. I wouldn't presume to lump anyone in my posts but I just have a tendency to use the plural when I respond.
Most people probably agree with you though but not everybody.

Get yours today!!
Old 06-19-06, 08:59 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

:richb
Old 06-19-06, 09:10 PM
SpursReport Team Member

aj just showing his true colors.
Old 06-19-06, 09:13 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Let's get the record straight. It was the ex-Kings coach Rick Adelman who complained about the short turn around not Pop or anyone affiliated with the Spurs organization. And btw, even Stern later agreed to having mishandled the situation.

So what if the Spurs practice the palms up call protesting routine. It sure still a lot classier than what they practice in Dallas - suspension worthy moves from nut punching, body slamming to fan charging tactics. Don't forget Spurs are the #1 NBA franchise players want to play for with Pop leading the pack as most respected head coach of the entire league. Lets see how Dallas compares, oh forgive me they probably lead the league in post season suspensions.

Now show yourself the door and don't let it hit you on your way back to Dallas.

PF
Old 06-19-06, 10:02 PM
MomBear

wow thanks for the information....
Old 06-19-06, 10:14 PM
SpursReport Team Member

you have to admit though, that was a pretty stupid question. It's like reporters asking the friend of someone just murdered, "Exactly how do you feel right now?"
Old 06-19-06, 10:17 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I'm ready to move on from AJ, he is definitely without a doubt more Mav-like than Spur-like. I hate the Mavs b/c they dont stand for anything. I've never heard a team flip flop as much as the Mavs, everything out of there mouths has a biased slant. Most pro teams will speak out only when they feel its necessary but these guys have a complaint after every game no matter what the issue is or how it might have benifited them in the past.
Old 06-19-06, 10:29 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Haven't you guys heard? AJ and his team don't complain. That is his statement and he is sticking to it.
Old 06-19-06, 11:43 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice
hey Avery, be littling a memeber of the media, someone from your home town no less, make you feel like better?....bottomline is this guys a jerk through and through and I'll be glad when this team gets NOTHING at the end of this season. It just took a man like Cuban to bring out the best in Avery. Pay backs a ***** Avery, Pay backs a *****...

If you ever want to know what a coach is like, just take a look at his team. That team is a reflection of their coach, their is no doubt this team is an Avery coached team.
Now I know why Rodman, Duncan and maybe a few others like Malik DID NOT like this clown at all, infact if I were Rodman the way he spoke to me or spoke about me I would have knocked this dude out cold one day in the lockerroom. How dare this classless jerk preach about God when his wife is the way she is and he is the way he is at times? Idiot, I see why those guys hate him.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 06-20-06, 12:06 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

After listening to Averys post game interviews and then listening to Cuban's interview, I really couldn't tell where one left off and the other started. Avery sounds a lot like Cuban with that sarcastic and caddy manner he uses to respond to the media.

I never thought that Avery was so weak in character that he could be easily influenced to be that way. But maybe he was like that all along and as fans, we did not see it. And according to AJ, he actually chose to be this way. In one of his interviews, he is talking about what coaches see and have to put up with and how he would want to respond in a similar situations. So he has made a conscious decision to be that persona to the public media and in turn, the league and fans.

I don't think he realizes that he has gone too far. I hope he figures that out.
Old 06-20-06, 12:06 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
You know nothing. Most sports writers are very intelligent people, you have to be smart to balanec a relationship and still keep your distance.
So you have a very bad opinion. A very wrong one at that. But I haven't seen a lot from you that suggests otherwise.
Back to real issues, it's my understanding that AJ almost immedaitely apologized afterward, and even spent tonight profusely apologizing to Sefko.
Old 06-20-06, 12:28 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

screw aj, he was lil b1tch with the spurs and still is as a coach. like father (cuban), like son.
Old 06-20-06, 01:01 AM
SpursReport Rookie

thats pretty mean.

AJ is dead to me
Old 06-20-06, 01:27 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnac The Magnificent
You know nothing. Most sports writers are very intelligent people, you have to be smart to balanec a relationship and still keep your distance.
So you have a very bad opinion. A very wrong one at that. But I haven't seen a lot from you that suggests otherwise.
Back to real issues, it's my understanding that AJ almost immedaitely apologized afterward, and even spent tonight profusely apologizing to Sefko.
First off, we just disagree no need to make this personal. I personally would listen to a 4th string pg who played 2 games in the NBA over a sportswriter or reporter, who has no qualifications or expertise whatsoever. You came at me with Personal attacks? You have a wrong opinion? That wasn't very convincing. You ignored the fact that they are just fans w/opinions who get to voice their opinions a little louder than other fans. They love to sh1t on athletes-just watch Around the Horn, First & Ten, or the Sports Reporters (guys on PTI are decent not so negative and hyper critical). If a guy like Charles Barkley rags on an athlete I listen when some twerp who would get knocked over by a stiff breeze starts calling people out that's just funny, sad, and pathetic. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Get yours today!!

Last edited by Quadzilla99; 06-20-06 at 01:38 AM.
Old 06-20-06, 02:11 AM
SpursReport Team Member

THANK YOU for that link! i've been dying to see that

what the hell was that avery? what a jerk!

slapping a yellow "support our troops" sticker on the back of your gas guzzling SUV in the middle of a war for oil makes you an a-holes

cooking is not a chore, cooking is an obsession.
Old 06-20-06, 02:28 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Avery has always been a jerk! Yes, I said it ALWAYS! I'm not saying he didn't play hard for the Spurs because he did, but even the players got tired of his locker room BS!

It's really just sad that he is acting like a child on national TV. Seems like he has taking on the role of acting like his WIFE!
Old 06-20-06, 03:14 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCdac
I dont think thats quite the point though. There is a time and place to flame sports "anaylysts", but a finals post-game interview isnt one of them... All the reporter did was ask question that was already on everybodies mind. Didnt deserve to be put on the spot like that by some whiny coach.
First let me make this clear.....Im sick and tired of the whole Mavs organization crying about every little thing....but....... the reporter did NOT ask a question that was on my mind....and if it was on everybodys mind...everybody must be kind of dumb.....if you dont know already that Avery didnt AGREE with the call you are stupid....just plain stupid....he was trying to bait Avery into complaining about the officiationing plain and simple(as if Avery needs help in that dept).....so Avery flipped it on him.....with "what was YOUR impression of that Wade drive to the basket"......reporters are always asking something stupid like "You just lost the World Championship....how do you feel right now?" Is Avery losing it and becoming unraveled and unprofessional...yes....LOL....but at the sametime....thats what the reporter deserves IMO....he thought he was so smart that he could ask the question in a way to make it look innocent...like thats NOT what he is trying to do...start trouble by getting Avery to go off on the officials....but that is EXACTLY what he is doing...like a wolf in sheeps clothes so to speak....and Avery wasnt having it....LOL
Old 06-20-06, 03:54 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
First off, we just disagree no need to make this personal. I personally would listen to a 4th string pg who played 2 games in the NBA over a sportswriter or reporter, who has no qualifications or expertise whatsoever. You came at me with Personal attacks? You have a wrong opinion? That wasn't very convincing. You ignored the fact that they are just fans w/opinions who get to voice their opinions a little louder than other fans. They love to sh1t on athletes-just watch Around the Horn, First & Ten, or the Sports Reporters (guys on PTI are decent not so negative and hyper critical). If a guy like Charles Barkley rags on an athlete I listen when some twerp who would get knocked over by a stiff breeze starts calling people out that's just funny, sad, and pathetic. We'll have to agree to disagree.
No, you, let's get one thing striaght:
To comdemn a segment of people is IGNORANT.
Sportswriters, Mavs fans, whatever. When you come out with an irresponsible take like, "sports writers are morons", that's so irresposible, it boggles my mind. You insult my profession. What if you were able to make it as a sports writer? Would you be a moron?

Sports writers have plenty of qualifications. You think we just walk into newspapers and say, "I wanna be a spotrs writer" and we get hired?
Sports writers are very smart people. You have to be. You have to balance a very delicate relationship. For most of the season, Mark Cuban is really chummy with the writers here in town. right now, it's not so chummy. A sports writer needs to be able to distinguish that relationship. One as a friend and one as an eye of society.
Sports writers need plenty of qualifications to cover high schools, much less a pro sport. And they don't stay there without being able to do a great job.
I know many of the people you read in the Dallas area, and they're all brilliant people.
They don't love to sh!t on athletes, but they need to have an opinion. and those opinions are sometimes not flattering. But it's OK when those opinions are directed at team we don't like, like the Mavs.
Like I said, when you condemn a certain segment of society, it's about as ignorant as you can be. And that's a fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Soulja
but....... the reporter did NOT ask a question that was on my mind....and if it was on everybodys mind...everybody must be kind of dumb.....if you dont know already that Avery didnt AGREE with the call you are stupid....just plain stupid....he was trying to bait Avery into complaining about the officiationing plain and simple(as if Avery needs help in that dept).....so Avery flipped it on him.....with "what was YOUR impression of that Wade drive to the basket"......reporters are always asking something stupid like "You just lost the World Championship....how do you feel right now?" Is Avery losing it and becoming unraveled and unprofessional...yes....LOL....but at the sametime....thats what the reporter deserves IMO....he thought he was so smart that he could ask the question in a way to make it look innocent...like thats NOT what he is trying to do...start trouble by getting Avery to go off on the officials....but that is EXACTLY what he is doing...like a wolf in sheeps clothes so to speak....and Avery wasnt having it....LOL
Jeez, c'mon. That's just.....
What do reporters want? What people want. Reaction.
Is that so hard?
If the Mavs melted down and lost a game in a series it looked like they had control of, then we want to know how AJ reacts to it. That's why the questions are asked. We know how they feel. We just need them to express it. Put it in perspective. Maybe AJ is looking for the silver lining. Or maybe he's p!ssed as can be.
We don't know. That's why the questions are asked. And why you all will always listen and read.
Old 06-20-06, 04:23 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Soulja
First let me make this clear.....Im sick and tired of the whole Mavs organization crying about every little thing....but....... the reporter did NOT ask a question that was on my mind....and if it was on everybodys mind...everybody must be kind of dumb.....if you dont know already that Avery didnt AGREE with the call you are stupid....just plain stupid....he was trying to bait Avery into complaining about the officiationing plain and simple(as if Avery needs help in that dept).....so Avery flipped it on him.....with "what was YOUR impression of that Wade drive to the basket"......reporters are always asking something stupid like "You just lost the World Championship....how do you feel right now?" Is Avery losing it and becoming unraveled and unprofessional...yes....LOL....but at the sametime....thats what the reporter deserves IMO....he thought he was so smart that he could ask the question in a way to make it look innocent...like thats NOT what he is trying to do...start trouble by getting Avery to go off on the officials....but that is EXACTLY what he is doing...like a wolf in sheeps clothes so to speak....and Avery wasnt having it....LOL
Not IMO, the "dumb" thing would be to dance around the subject like nothing happened, wasting everybodys time. Reporters have a job to do, and that is to ask tough questions so we can get honest answers and honest reactions. I dont know what kind of cup-cake interviews you've seen, but I'd be asking Avery the exact same questions. If HE cant keep his cool, thats HIS problem. That reporter had every right and every reason to ask him about that foul.
Old 06-20-06, 07:39 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnac The Magnificent
No, you, let's get one thing striaght:
To comdemn a segment of people is IGNORANT.
Sportswriters, Mavs fans, whatever. When you come out with an irresponsible take like, "sports writers are morons", that's so irresposible, it boggles my mind. You insult my profession. What if you were able to make it as a sports writer? Would you be a moron?

Sports writers have plenty of qualifications. You think we just walk into newspapers and say, "I wanna be a spotrs writer" and we get hired?
Sports writers are very smart people. You have to be. You have to balance a very delicate relationship. For most of the season, Mark Cuban is really chummy with the writers here in town. right now, it's not so chummy. A sports writer needs to be able to distinguish that relationship. One as a friend and one as an eye of society.
Sports writers need plenty of qualifications to cover high schools, much less a pro sport. And they don't stay there without being able to do a great job.
I know many of the people you read in the Dallas area, and they're all brilliant people.
They don't love to sh!t on athletes, but they need to have an opinion. and those opinions are sometimes not flattering. But it's OK when those opinions are directed at team we don't like, like the Mavs.
Like I said, when you condemn a certain segment of society, it's about as ignorant as you can be. And that's a fact.

Jeez, c'mon. That's just.....
What do reporters want? What people want. Reaction.
Is that so hard?
If the Mavs melted down and lost a game in a series it looked like they had control of, then we want to know how AJ reacts to it. That's why the questions are asked. We know how they feel. We just need them to express it. Put it in perspective. Maybe AJ is looking for the silver lining. Or maybe he's p!ssed as can be.
We don't know. That's why the questions are asked. And why you all will always listen and read.
You need to settle down.

Get yours today!!
Old 06-20-06, 08:05 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

This is maybe a big ask, considering that I have absolutely no skills in this area, but would it possible for anyone to stich that interview segment into that 'Avery Bunch' video that was doing the rounds? The way it appears on youtube seemed like the perfect fit for that, and it would seem to reflect the Mavs organisation pretty well. Maybe even include Cuban's f-bomb at the end for his 'as the owner' cameo?
Old 06-20-06, 11:12 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

I don't ever want his (Avery's) friggin jersey hanging in SA - what a low class SONOFA*****. Not that I am a great Sefco fan but Avery has suddenly become Marc Cuban Junior - like Austin Power's Minnie Me.....hope the Maves get crucified tomorrow. And Pop - That 's why you are a winner!

Last edited by KAD; 06-20-06 at 11:15 AM.
Old 06-20-06, 11:30 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
I personally would listen to a 4th string pg who played 2 games in the NBA over a sportswriter or reporter, who has no qualifications or expertise whatsoever.
I understand your point, but are you suggesting that expertise or qualifications are only the result of playing in the league?
Old 06-20-06, 01:24 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
You need to settle down.
You're right. Nice retort. You win.