News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 06-19-06, 08:58 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Cuban Is Right

But it doesn't make up for the classless way he handled the situation.

The "game" of basketball is being over shadowed by the officiating of basketball.

The position from Stern has always been that every game is reviewed. Every owner/coach has input regarding officiating.

But how is it there are SO MANY discrepensies by the officials who call these games as to what is a foul, interpretations of the rules, inconsistent calls from one end of the court to the other by the same official, and home court advantage?

Stern has frequently said that he regards officiating in this league as some of the best officiating in all professional sports. What a crock and passive statement for what has been continually a black mark of this league for some time.

If it doesn't change...I feel...because of what's on the line for many of these owners...we just might start seeing more Mark Cubans.

And do we really as a society and fans of the game want to see it sink to that level?
Old 06-19-06, 09:09 AM
SpursReport Team Member

The NBA needs to realize that not only the fantic is bothered my the refs and they always will because of our bias to our own team. But the casual fan and viewer believes that the games a rigged! This is a huge negitive for the whole league!
Old 06-19-06, 09:16 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Game 4 in the Semis...

No way did Bowen foul Dirk...NBA suck, but if the Heat win - they're the best. As long as cuban doesn't get the championship - I'LL BE HAPPY!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-19-06, 09:23 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

The problem with Cuban is that when he feels that his team gets the short end of th stick, he will ***** and complain pointing every missed call, or no call. But when its his team that gets all the calls and free throws in the last seconds of the game, he thinks the refs did a great job.
In other words he is seen as a regular fanatic who is so bais towards his team, that it isn't about making the ref's better, its about making them better for HIS TEAM. And that's why they don't take the guy too seriously.

But the NBA refs are definately the worst when it comes to being consistant with what exactly a foul is. Becuase not only does that change from game to game with the different refs, but it also changes from quarter to quarter, which makes it so tough for fans to watch, and players to adjust to.

I am not a Soccer fan, but I watched the USA vs Italy game. And what I loved the most about it, is the commentators completely ripping a ref who was doing a horrible job. I loved not hearing them cover up for his mistakes, or show a replay showing him making a bad call, and trying to make excuses of why he made that horrible call. It was refreshing seeing them not treat the refs like some sort of an untouchable God like they do in the NBA. And them pointing out that the ref would probably not ref anymore games during the tournament because of the horrible job he did was also great.
They actually hold thier refs accountable with servere punishments and banishment for doing a bad job. If only the NBA could be that way towards them, I garantee that you might just see more consistancy with the way they ref, and see some of these premadonna's lose the huge ego's they have really quick. The NBA protects thier refs so much that fans actually know these guys names now, and rip them during games. Its just horrible to watch guys like Crawford, Javie, Bavetta, and other refs with huge ego's make the game more about them then the players and teams playing. When the refs get more face time then the superstars, your losing alot of what the game is really supposed to be about.

Last edited by bo spur; 06-19-06 at 09:32 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-19-06, 09:55 AM
SpursReport Rookie

C'mon folks ... Bottom line is, officiating stinks in every sport when it goes against you. It's human nature.

Anyone watch the Italy/US World Cup match on Saturday? Even die-hard soccer fans who follow the sport a lot more than most of us called the three red cards ridiculous.

Anyone been watching the Stanley Cup Finals? Ask any Edmonton or Carolina fan about the officiating, and they'll give you an earful.

I feel that we're pretty objective here when it comes to the Spurs. When we get breaks, we acknowledge it and move on. When we get screwed by the refs, we rail against them -- as we should when it actually determines the outcome of games.

I'm enjoying watching the Mavs implode. Seven points in the fourth quarter of Game 4, blowing a big lead down the stretch in Game 3. One thing I appreciate about Pop, "I'm not gonna complain about officiating. That's for the fans to do."

Sadly for the Mavs, their biggest fan happens to own the team. And he's got deep pockets to criticize and interfere in how the sport is being run.

It'll be a long summer for him too...

Old 06-19-06, 10:05 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
i'm in agreement with your assesment, but i need to point out that in this paragraph above, you could replace 'cuban' with 'sr posters' and it would be about the same.
The difference is SR poster b*tch about officals and nothing changes. Cuban complains, maybe get fined, and then Mavs get all the calls the next game. I will bet money that the game will be called in the Mavs' favor the next game in Dallas.

"Hating the Lakers for over two decades"
Old 06-19-06, 10:09 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Anyone watch the Italy/US World Cup match on Saturday? Even die-hard soccer fans who follow the sport a lot more than most of us called the three red cards ridiculous.
The difference is that we will see Javie, Crawford and Bevetta, until they decide to retire, no matter how many big games they screw up. But I doubt anyone will ever see that soccer ref in the world cup ever again. When your accountablility is held to that type of standard, your practically forced to do a good job, or never ref at that level again.
Old 06-19-06, 10:15 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo spur
The difference is that we will see Javie, Crawford and Bevetta, until they decide to retire, no matter how many big games they screw up. But I doubt anyone will ever see that soccer ref in the world cup ever again. When your accountablility is held to that type of standard, your practically forced to do a good job, or never ref at that level again.
True, but the NBA doesn't have integrity, it's an entertainment business. These guys are dancing to the tune being played by the Commish, and they're getting the results they want. Superstar players=ratings. Fundamental, team defense (Spurs/Pistons)=zzzz.
Old 06-19-06, 10:21 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS CARRILLO
No way did Bowen foul Dirk...NBA suck, but if the Heat win - they're the best. As long as cuban doesn't get the championship - I'LL BE HAPPY!!
AMEN.
Old 06-19-06, 10:25 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

The officiating in the Super Bowl this year was PISS POOR. It's not just the NBA, folks.
Old 06-19-06, 10:38 AM
Mr. Brightside

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS CARRILLO
word
Old 06-19-06, 10:46 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

The problem with Cuban is his word doesn't mean anything anymore because he proved in these playoffs that he is a hypocrite. Like BO said above you can't have both ways that you call out the officals when your team loses to shady calls and then state some bs claim about trying to make the game better and more fair while when your teams wins on shady bs calls you then state the officals did a good job. Cuban lost his credibility in these playoffs win or lose nobody is going to believe a word he says from this point on.
Old 06-19-06, 10:59 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

I think Bo Spur makes a great point.. the NBA is a MONOPOLY! Lets admit it. Stern and Co rul eit like monarchs - from TV scheduleing to what announcers can say to what refs can do to what players can say etc...

We need a Charles barkely to be able to mouth off on an official and have to worry about his job.. otherwise we might as well go to CUBA!!! or China .. less and less..
Old 06-19-06, 11:49 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Mark Cuban- Cry me a River....

Old 06-19-06, 01:10 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyspurslover
well, that's what some people speculate, but i don't believe it to be true anymore than i think phil jackson manipulates calls from the podium.

refs don't care about the crap that spews from news conferences.

and see, the next game hasn't even been played yet, and already you're forming opinions about the officiating. that's lame.

correct me if i'm wrong, but the ratings for these finals have been just as low this year as in recent years, so i'm not sure what you mean by "getting the results they want."

hey rich b....what do you think about this undying notion that the nba is rigged?

:richb

Ratings may be lower this year than Stern expected, but he's laying the groundwork for a Lebron-DWade NBA that is about exciting, up-and-down-the-court basketball. Changing the rules to effectively make the Spurs-Pistons defense first style obsolete is more than a one-year process. Nonetheless, with the crazy officiating in these playoffs, one can't help but wonder: WHY? Are the refs that bad? It really does make you think that they have more than just the rulebook in the forefront of their minds when officiating games.
Old 06-19-06, 01:45 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo spur
They actually hold thier refs accountable with servere punishments and banishment for doing a bad job. If only the NBA could be that way towards them, I garantee that you might just see more consistancy with the way they ref, and see some of these premadonna's lose the huge ego's they have really quick.
Wait a minute, there, Europa....wasn't World Cup where the Colombians had a losing goali executed after a game? I don't think we wanna be like them tooooooo much.
"Dick Bavetta was found floating in the East River this morning by police..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan21MVP
C'mon folks ... Bottom line is, officiating stinks in every sport when it goes against you. It's human nature.
Agreed. Officiating is p[art of the game and can go well or bad for either team. It is noble and good to minimize this. NFL is able to do it by replays, bc the game lends otself to regular pauses in the action. I don't think NBA lends itself as well to replays.
Old 06-19-06, 02:08 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Wait a minute, there, Europa....wasn't World Cup where the Colombians had a losing goali executed after a game? I don't think we wanna be like them tooooooo much.

totally different situations.

I'm talking about how the soccer league will boot a horrible ref for making too many bad calls, not allowing him to ref any more games in this tournament. Not a team killing a player

I don't know about you, but I would love to see Javie or Bevetta droped for the rest of the playoffs becuase of horrible calls they made during a game. I think they would be forced to be more consistant, and you would see less and less horrible calls made.
Old 06-19-06, 02:12 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Just a comment, don't want to take the thread over, but I'm reading alot of other message boards (non-NBA) and a lot of casual fans are starting to talk about the bad officiating in these playoffs. Some are even putting it on the same level as WWE Sterns rule changes are really working
Old 06-20-06, 12:02 AM
Moderator in Flip Flops

Quote:
Originally Posted by l=w
The officiating in the Super Bowl this year was PISS POOR. It's not just the NBA, folks.
Actually, It is just the NBA, mostly. To wit, out of all the NFL playoff games played prior to the Super Bowl between the steelers and the seahawks, how many of those games do any of you recall where officiating influenced the outcome????

In just this year's NBA playoffs, how many series can you say officiating influenced the outcome??? I say "Take your pick".
Pass is PINPOINT PERFECT
and somebody ends up WIDE OPEN
No Flash No Gimmicks NO CHANCE OF STOPPING IT
IT'S THE QUIET GUYS YOU SHOULD FEAR
because words are small and GAME IS BIG

GO GO!

I AM NINJA!
"We will either find a way, or make one."
~Hannibal~