LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-06, 01:46 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Cuban "stares down" Stern, plus more

From ESPN's newswire, too lazy to link.

Unwanted timeout sends Dallas tempers flaring
Associated Press
National Basketball Association News Wire

MIAMI -- Mark Cuban has plenty more reasons to be furious with NBA officials.

From his perspective, referees made two huge mistakes before hitting his Dallas Mavericks with an unwanted timeout during the closing moments of their 101-100 overtime loss to the Miami Heat in Game 5 of the NBA finals on Sunday night.

Cuban said replays show that referees missed a backcourt violation against Dwyane Wade at the start of his final drive to the basket. The Dallas owner also believes Wade fouled the Mavericks' Jason Terry before drawing the contact that led to his winning free throws with 1.9 seconds left.

For the Mavericks, those incidents overshadowed what seemed like the obvious source of their anger: Being given their final timeout between Wade's foul shots, instead of after, when they could've moved the ball to midcourt and had a chance to set up a final shot.

"I care less about the timeout," Cuban said. "The error in my mind occurred before then."

Asked if it was the collision that Terry jumped up from screaming about being shoved, Cuban said: "You mean when he pushed him? I don't know. I guess that's not a call. I guess that's not a foul."

Dallas star Dirk Nowitzki, who ended up being charged with the foul on Wade's drive, said he thought "Dwyane pushed off like three guys to get to the basket."

After Wade made another free throw following the timeout, Dallas guard Devin Harris missed a desperation heave. When the buzzer sounded, the Mavericks unleashed their anger.

Cuban, who was wearing the jersey of suspended forward Jerry Stackhouse, ran onto the court and screamed at official Joe DeRosa, then went to the scorer's table and stared down NBA commissioner David Stern and other league officials. Cuban then went up the tunnel toward their aisle and kept screaming and staring.

Stern made his way out, but Cuban didn't let up. Considering he's been fined well over $1 million -- including $200,000 this postseason alone -- his tab could rise again before Game 6 in Dallas on Tuesday night.

Players were irate, too.

Nowitzki, who scored 20 points including a tough jumper that put Dallas up by one point with 9.1 seconds left, kicked the ball into the stands as he left the court. On his way to the locker room, he slammed against a stationary bike then kicked at something else. Josh Howard, who called the timeout, threw off his headband in disgust as he left the court.

"Josh Howard goes to Joe DeRosa and not only once, but twice asks for a timeout," referee Joe Crawford told a pool reporter. "Forced to call it, simple as that."

When told by a reporter what Crawford said, Howard became so agitated that he had to be taken out of the locker room to calm down. Cuban came in when Howard returned.

"It's common sense -- what would I tell him timeout for?" Howard said after gathering his emotions.

The Mavericks went to the foul line 25 times. So did Wade. The entire Heat team went 49 times.

"I don't know," Cuban said. "I guess they got fouled more."

Said Harris: "It's not like we're not going to the basket."

Mavericks coach Avery Johnson refused to answer questions about the Terry-Wade contact, repeatedly asking his interrogator what he thought. Terry said he couldn't comment.

"We have to watch the film and see," he said.

Asked if the refs explained the non-call to him, Cuban said: "No, they don't do that here. That's unfortunate."

Cuban was standing against a wall, shaking his head while gathering his thoughts before speaking to reporters when assistant coach Larry Riley alerted him to the missed backcourt violation.

"You can't be established in the frontcourt, then jump into the backcourt," Cuban said after watching a replay. "My understanding from the rule book is, if you are going to catch the ball in the backcourt, you have to be in the backcourt to catch it. You can't be established into the backcourt after you catch it or that's a backcourt violation."

The Mavericks came into the game already furious over the decision to suspend Stackhouse because of hard foul in Game 4.

This latest incident, and possible league action against Cuban, makes things even more interesting as the Heat take a 3-2 series lead to Dallas for Game 6 on Tuesday night.

"This is going to leave a bitter taste in everyone's mouth," Howard said. "We're going to come out and play hard in Game 6 and Game 7." NBA.comNBA.com's Playoffs Coverage

This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
3.) I will never, in any situation, argue when I can discuss
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-19-06, 01:50 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Cuban, who was wearing the jersey of suspended forward Jerry Stackhouse.
Claaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssssyyyyyyyyyyy.

An idea: Fines for owners should be proportional to their incomes. Make him really hurt.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-19-06, 01:50 AM
MomBear

I hope they fine him and don't let him go to game 6.

Quote:
Asked if the refs explained the non-call to him, Cuban said: "No, they don't do that here. That's unfortunate."
Why should they?
Old 06-19-06, 01:51 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

ha ha

and maybe my memory is going but I cant remember officals actually commenting on calls after a game? that part is strange though with them commenting to a reporter

Cuban is going to get a major fine if he did a stare down of Stern
Old 06-19-06, 01:52 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Here's Chris Sheridan's blog on Insider:

Howard disputes ref's timeout call
posted: Monday, June 19, 2006

MIAMI -- Josh Howard was patient with my line of postgame questioning for about 30 or 40 seconds, and then he sort of lost it.

"What am I saying to you right now, dog? Please, don't come off on me right now because I'm going to come off on you, and I'm not in a great mood right now. Get out of my face, man. Get out of my face."

I was never in Howard's face, I was merely calmly passing along to him the explanation that referee Joey Crawford had given to my colleague, ESPN.com's Mark Stein, about the disputed timeout call with 1.9 seconds left that kept the Mavericks from inbounding from midcourt for a final shot.

The Mavericks were livid when their final timeout was called, coach Avery Johnson running onto the court and protesting vehemently that no timeout had been asked for. But Crawford told Stein (who interviewed him as the designated pool reporter): "Josh Howard goes to Joe DeRosa and not only once, but twice, asks for a timeout. Forced to call it, simple as that."

Armed with that quote, I approached Howard in the locker room to see what he had to say about it.

The transcript, pre-meltdown:

ESPN.com: "Josh, Joey Crawford said you called timeout twice. Is that true?"

Howard: "No. I'm going to leave it at that. No."

ESPN.com: "A pool reporter went in there, and Joey said you called timeout not once, but twice, and we had no choice but to give them the timeout."

Howard: "If that's what he's saying, that's what he's saying. I know I didn't call a timeout twice. I didn't even say nothing to anyone. I just made a sign like that." (Howard places his hands in the shape of a 'T')

ESPN.com: "Were you looking over at the bench when you did that?

Howard: "I was looking straight at coach."

ESPN.com: "Never made eye contact with the ref?"

Howard: "Never. Like for real never."

So ended the civil part of our dialogue, and Howard -- as you can see above -- clearly wasn't in the mood to discuss it further.

Needless to say, I wasn't about to follow up with a question about his free-throw showing earlier in overtime or his history of making a mistake with a late timeout, although those would have been legitimate things to ask. (In college, on Feb. 24, 2002, Howard was with Wake Forest when he called a timeout he didn't have with 1.3 seconds left against Maryland. It was a technical foul, and Juan Dixon made 1 of 2 free throws to win the game.)

Howard's missed free throws came with 54 seconds left and the Mavericks ahead 98-97, and Howard missed 'em both. Gary Payton scored on the Heat's next possession, Dirk Nowitzki hit a jumper with 9.1 seconds left to give Dallas the lead back, and Miami inbounded to Wade for a final possession that ended with Nowitzki being called for a foul for placing a hand on Wade's hip.

Some in the Mavs locker room were upset that referee Bennett Salvatore had whistled the foul from near midcourt, and there was an undercurrent of disgust in the disparity in fouls and free throws (Miami shot 49 foul shots, and Dallas 25, and the Heat were whistled for just 26 fouls to the Mavs' 38).

"I couldn't care less about the timeout, that's not the issue," Mavs owner Mark Cuban told me.

And so the Mavs headed out of the arena dejected, their week in Miami not exactly a disaster, but certainly a measurable failure.

They have at least one more chance to turn this series around, and they'll get that chance at home.

Maybe in Game 6 they'll play well enough to force a deciding Game 7, or maybe they'll still be so steamed about Sunday's events that they can't focus.

We'll find out Tuesday night.
Old 06-19-06, 01:56 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

what an idiot
Old 06-19-06, 01:56 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Howard was clearly walking TOWARDS the bench while he made the "T" gesture, ready to sit down as play was stopped. It was obvious he was calling a timeout, and I've never heard "eye contact" as the deciding factor when a player is making a "T" with his hands 2 feet away from the ref while walking towards his seat.

And then he goes on to threaten Chris Sheridan, the Sweden of NBA journalists.
3.) I will never, in any situation, argue when I can discuss
Old 06-19-06, 01:57 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Cuban's next move...A run at becoming the next commisioner?
Old 06-19-06, 02:01 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

The read about Cuban running around...screaming...staring down the league commish...screaming at other league officals...etc..etc

how can anyone respect this guy? He's classless. Im amazed at people defending this guy around here at times
Old 06-19-06, 02:02 AM
SpursReport Rookie

In college, on Feb. 24, 2002, Howard was with Wake Forest when he called a timeout he didn't have with 1.3 seconds left against Maryland. It was a technical foul, and Juan Dixon made 1 of 2 free throws to win the game.

so this wasn't his first time?
Old 06-19-06, 02:03 AM
MomBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF4L
Old 06-19-06, 02:10 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_trip
In college, on Feb. 24, 2002, Howard was with Wake Forest when he called a timeout he didn't have with 1.3 seconds left against Maryland. It was a technical foul, and Juan Dixon made 1 of 2 free throws to win the game.

so this wasn't his first time?
Yep, I found this out tonight too. Posted about it in the "chris webber" thread...
Old 06-19-06, 02:26 AM
SpursReport Rookie

This is hilarious!!

I could never imagine myself the great N.. uh...nevermind that.

But anyways, the idea of cheering on Shaq for me is unbelieveable but yet that is what I find myself doing.

Truth is, I don't even mind Dirk that much... it is the classless jerk named Cuban that I hate!
Old 06-19-06, 02:31 AM
There is only 1 Ginobili!

Ahhh...Turnabout is fair play. Dirk against SA averaged more FT's since Kobe than anyone against the Spurs and now they get all mad about Miami and the refs?

Unreal!!!

Old 06-19-06, 02:31 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
he'll answer complaints thru his blog.. then complain about complaints..
Old 06-19-06, 02:35 AM
SpursReport Rookie

WAAAANNNNNNNNNAAAAAAAA....

Man, does this ever stop up there in Dallas. I'm almost ashamed to say I'm a "DALLAS" Cowboy fan. I love Jerry Jones now. LOL. Get the mavs a tissue.
Old 06-19-06, 03:06 AM
SR's Resident Laker Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by spUrpenguin3000
awwwww....maybe hasselhoff will rock him to sleep on the plane
I suspect Cuban's antics are going to cost him big time as it should.
Old 06-19-06, 03:54 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Staring Down the Commisioner!?!?! WHO THE F*** DOES THIS GUY THINK HE IS!?!?!?!

Get yours today!!

Last edited by Quadzilla99; 06-19-06 at 04:00 AM.
Old 06-19-06, 05:03 AM
SpursReport Team Member

This is all just the chicken coming home to roost, IMO.

Quote:
Needless to say, I wasn't about to follow up with a question about his free-throw showing earlier in overtime or his history of making a mistake with a late timeout, although those would have been legitimate things to ask.
Old 06-19-06, 05:38 AM
Administrator

Wagering allowed:

How much will Cuban be fined?
Old 06-19-06, 06:14 AM
Now With More Eye of Newt

seems like Howard was threatening someone. Seems like a suspension is in order.

None of the mavs know how to act after a loss. they are a danger to anyone who looks at them funny.

I've personally never seen this much lack of class in a team before and it goes from the top down. If the Mavs end up winning the ring, the asterisk attacked can signify the "Classless Champions."
Old 06-19-06, 06:45 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodTango
Ahhh...Turnabout is fair play. Dirk against SA averaged more FT's since Kobe than anyone against the Spurs and now they get all mad about Miami and the refs?

Unreal!!!
Exactly - what goes around comes around. Hey Dallas...remember the 6th foul on Duncan where Dirk stepped on Timmy's foot.......Well right back at ya!!!!
Old 06-19-06, 07:15 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Garza
Wagering allowed:

I would love nothing more than Stern to just throw down a 1 million dollar fine on him

he was acting like a 3 year old after the game
Old 06-19-06, 08:08 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Cuban, who was wearing the jersey of suspended forward Jerry Stackhouse, ran onto the court and screamed at official Joe DeRosa, then went to the scorer's table and stared down NBA commissioner David Stern and other league officials. Cuban then went up the tunnel toward their aisle and kept screaming and staring.
How in the H#ll does this guy get away with crap like this? If Stern had any sack, he would have had him arrested for coming on to the court. There is no reason for him to be out on the floor or interrupting the game. If any fan, big money or otherwise, pulled this kind of stunt they would be run out of the building.

"Hating the Lakers for over two decades"
Old 06-19-06, 08:12 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
When things don't go your way, billionaire owners always choose the mature, respectful response to make their feelings known.

Jeez, how many times have we used the word "classless" and "Cuban" in the same sentence, since May? Does SR keep track of stats like that? Is it a record like Dirk made FTs?
Old 06-19-06, 08:18 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs Crusader
Howard: "If that's what he's saying, that's what he's saying. I know I didn't call a timeout twice. I didn't even say nothing to anyone. I just made a sign like that." (Howard places his hands in the shape of a 'T')
Last time I checked, that's calling a timeout, jackass.

Live by the bogus bailout call, die by the bogus bailout call.
Old 06-19-06, 08:21 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Cubanspeak: "I care less about the timeout," Cuban said. "The error in my mind occurred before then."

Translation
: "I know there's no way we can weasel out of the timeout. We're going to have to find something else to complain about."
Old 06-19-06, 08:24 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzG
I would love nothing more than Stern to just throw down a 1 million dollar fine on him

he was acting like a 3 year old after the game
suspen him
that will get hi s attention
money means nothing to him
Old 06-19-06, 08:51 AM
SpursReport Rookie

How crazy is it to use the “they got more foul calls than we did.” Well, you did it on purpose by going to the hack-a-Shaq!! Also, Miami was more aggressive!! Use your head.
Old 06-19-06, 08:57 AM
MomBear

Quote:
Wagering allowed:

woo hooo

$10,000,000.00
Old 06-19-06, 09:15 AM
SpursReport Team Member

i havent seen the clip in person, but if he truely was givign stern the eye and screaming, Iw ould say a cool mil isnt out of the questions. but more likely in the $250k range.
Old 06-19-06, 09:25 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

I just hope Miami goes for ther Jugular!
Old 06-19-06, 09:34 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I saw last nite Cuban commenting on a question he got from a reporter and his reply was like "Ask me a real FU**ing question"
Old 06-19-06, 09:35 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

for a second i thought AJ would get a technical for the way he was arguing with the refs after the timeout call. He was irrate and screaming in their face. The refs showed restraint not to T him up
Old 06-19-06, 09:38 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I would hate to be Dallas right now. Riley knows how to go for the kill shot when he's got an opponent wounded.

Dallas, you're finished . . . and rightly so, because you NEVER deserved to be in the Finals in the first place, you posers.
Old 06-19-06, 10:04 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Howard was clearly walking TOWARDS the bench while he made the "T" gesture, ready to sit down as play was stopped. It was obvious he was calling a timeout, and I've never heard "eye contact" as the deciding factor when a player is making a "T" with his hands 2 feet away from the ref while walking towards his seat.
Yeah, there is no way Howard can say he wasn't calling a time out. He did it twice, and the replays showed that. Not only that, but when he was walking towards the bench and Avery started yelling that he didn't want the time out, Howard then tried to turn back around and usher everyone back to the line after the ref had already called it.

Avery can take the blame for that. If you hand signaling, for the team to call the timeout after the second free throw. You don't start signaling to call a timeout after the second free throw, if anything you at least hand signal after the second free throw call a timeout, so at least that way there won't be a confusion of a player seeing the timeout signal first and immediately calling a timeout which is exactly what happened.

Now we will see just how tough minded the Mavericks really are. We will see how they handle seeing one team get all the calls, and get to basically win the game from the free throw line with a questionable call at best. The Spurs saw more then one game like that, and still sucked it up and forced a game 7 while climbing obsitcle after obsticle while playing 8 on 5 a lot of the time. I think this game and the way it ended will put so much doubt in thier young guys, and doubt in thier soft leader who has never made it this far, that they will end up choking away 4 games in a row and lose in 6.
Old 06-19-06, 10:57 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Obviously Cuban doesn't care about the fine. A 3-game suspension should work...make him watch game 6 and a possible game 7 from home, and even if the Mavs manage to pull it out, he'd have to miss the ring ceremony.

Mike Wilks, we barely knew ye.
Old 06-19-06, 11:18 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo spur
Avery can take the blame for that. If you hand signaling, for the team to call the timeout after the second free throw. You don't start signaling to call a timeout after the second free throw, if anything you at least hand signal after the second free throw call a timeout, so at least that way there won't be a confusion of a player seeing the timeout signal first and immediately calling a timeout which is exactly what happened.
Exactly. Anybody that knows the game of basketball knows the timeout would be made after the second free throw. Coaches, Players, Refs.

But what bothered me...(and I'm not taking up for Avery and the Mavs because I enjoyed them loosing)...the officials also could have made a common sense decision and reversed that time out call for it never was official until after it was discussed amongst themselves and Avery as to what was going on.
Old 06-19-06, 11:25 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventyniner
Obviously Cuban doesn't care about the fine. A 3-game suspension should work...make him watch game 6 and a possible game 7 from home, and even if the Mavs manage to pull it out, he'd have to miss the ring ceremony.
I like this idea. This would obviously hurt Cuban (and help the game of basketball) more than any fine could do. Ban him from his own arena!
Old 06-19-06, 11:29 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Let Mark Cuban watch the game from his normal seat but make him wear pink box shorts and a pink top. Maybe a pink bow in his hair too..
Old 06-19-06, 11:38 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Exactly. Anybody that knows the game of basketball knows the timeout would be made after the second free throw. Coaches, Players, Refs.
What are you talking about? It's called icing the shooter.
Old 06-19-06, 11:42 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by l=w
Not in THAT situation.
Old 06-19-06, 11:57 AM
SpursReport Team Member

The lead official after the game...I forgot his name came out with a statement after the game that the ref asked Josh twice if he wanted a timeout and he said yes...Darvis Hamm for Fox Sports post game show was whining about that call and the refs but when the statement came out he apologized that ref was right and after Hamm saw the replay closer that Josh was looking at the ref signaling timeout
Old 06-19-06, 12:20 PM
SpursReport Team Member

This whole thing has the same feel as driving by a car wreck on 1604. You know you shouldn't slow down and look, but you just can't help yourself.

The Mavs will not recover from this. They let last night get to them way too much.

Question; Can the league and the other owners get together and force Cuban out like baseball did with Marge Shott in Cincinatti?
Old 06-19-06, 12:23 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Hey its an eye for an eye. Now dallas can share the feeling of getting shafted w/no lube! Humbug, I was almost as excited to see them loose in that fashion, as I would if the Spurs were here.
Old 06-19-06, 12:35 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by l=w
Good point, and I'm sure if Avery had at least 2 timeouts, he would have done that. But with just one, and the game on the line, you need that timeout. It was a mental error on the part of Howard, and I'm not so sure they won't overcome this, I wouldn't be so quick to write these guys off. That team has a lot of talent. Still, it's gut check time, and Dirk and co. have folded before, Avery is going to be tested, since I believe Avery is the guy who has pushed them this far, and now right before his eyes the Old Mavs are reappearing.
Old 06-19-06, 12:51 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

cuban is DR. Frankenstein (though he looks more like the monster). he created a ticky tack league and then whines when his creation turns on him. this is what he wanted so deal with it.

by the way, avery is a little b*tch too.
Old 06-19-06, 12:52 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Wagering allowed:

$500,000 would be a good number.
Old 06-19-06, 03:21 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:

But what bothered me...(and I'm not taking up for Avery and the Mavs because I enjoyed them loosing)...the officials also could have made a common sense decision and reversed that time out call for it never was official until after it was discussed amongst themselves and Avery as to what was going on.
If a player signals timeout then it should be given at that point. Refs should not have to discuss among themselves if timeout is in best interests of the team. What if the Mavs had an additional timeout and wanted to use the first one to 'ice' Wade and the refs had ignored Howard because they thought the Mavs would want the timeout later to advance the ball. Then the Mavs and Cuban would have been screaming at the refs that a timeout should have been called before Wade shot. The replay clearly showed Howard signaling for a timeout, not once but twice. And it was clear that Howard knew that he had made an error. 'Nuff said.
Old 06-19-06, 04:04 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald_perez
If a player signals timeout then it should be given at that point. Refs should not have to discuss among themselves if timeout is in best interests of the team. What if the Mavs had an additional timeout and wanted to use the first one to 'ice' Wade and the refs had ignored Howard because they thought the Mavs would want the timeout later to advance the ball. Then the Mavs and Cuban would have been screaming at the refs that a timeout should have been called before Wade shot. The replay clearly showed Howard signaling for a timeout, not once but twice. And it was clear that Howard knew that he had made an error. 'Nuff said.
After gathering all the info throughout the day. Listening to the Ticket and watching interviews of what transpired...I must admit...the right call was made.

And...to be fair...the officials did give Avery a chance for him to convincingly change their minds. Maybe if he was a little more congenial and not so heated at the moment the officials may have reversed the decision.

Thanks for putting me in my place Mr. Nuffs Head...