News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 06-18-06, 02:36 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Jay Williams works out for Celtics

Comeback kid makes visit
By Mark Murphy/ Celtics Notebook
Saturday, June 17, 2006 - Updated: 12:48 AM EST

In the midst of working out potential draft picks, the Celtics will shift gears Monday and Tuesday with a look at several free agents in a two-day camp.

Of particular note in Monday’s session will be Jay Williams, the former Naismith Award winner and No. 2 pick in the 2002 NBA draft, whose career with the Bulls was truncated in 2003 by a near-fatal motorcycle accident.

Williams spent the last two years recovering from serious leg injuries and a fractured pelvis and then trying to rehabilitate his game. He is now attempting to catch on with an NBA team for the first time in two seasons.

Considering that he has been away for so long, Williams wouldn’t be considered an expensive proposition. He has worked out for a host of teams, including Toronto, with generally favorable reports on his progress.

“I haven’t heard from any of the other teams about how he’s done, but we’ll get him out there and see how he’s feeling,” Celtics director of basketball operations Danny Ainge said. “I think he’s an inspiring story, and I hope he makes it back into the league. He was a great player who was on the way to a fantastic career.”

Williams, however, may not even be the best free agent on the floor Monday. Lynn Greer, the former Temple point guard, has established himself as one of the best guards in Italy’s Serie A and is coming off a strong season for Naples.

Other free agents will include onetime Celtics camper Omar Cook - a point guard who has been playing in Belgium - a pair of former star college swingmen in Vincent Yarbrough (Tennessee) and Keith Langford (Kansas), former high school draftee James Lang - a 300-pound center from Alabama - and former Nets guard Tamar Slay.

Approximately 15 free agents will take part in the camp.

http://celtics.bostonherald.com/celt...56&format=text
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-18-06, 03:14 PM
SpursReport Team Member

we could use him as a back up PG.. Hey Jay, work out for us..

"Today's game is style over substance. He's the opposite. He's substance over style. I think he's appreciated. I don't think he's adored."
Dave Odom, Duncan's college coach
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-18-06, 04:30 PM
SpursReport Team Member

One of my favorite college players of all time. I would love to see him here especially if Beno is traded.