News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 06-18-06, 03:50 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

I think it's time for Duncan...

to move over to the 5 spot.

With the rule changes favoring wing players I think we need to get more athletic and moving him to the 5 will afford us from trying to fill that spot with lerps and allow us to find a 4 that will make the Spurs more athletic.

thoughts
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-18-06, 04:10 AM
SpursReport Team Member

agree. Shaq and YAo are the only true centers left in the league.
Old 06-18-06, 04:31 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

TD moves around all the time.. in case you have not noticed..
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-18-06, 05:10 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I think he would make a great 5 especially considering how bad he abused Dallas's fives in the second round (32.3 ppg on 57% shooting 12.7 rebounds and 2.67 blocks). But he has always liked to play the four and Pop likes playing two seven footers. So even though he might do better as a 5 I think he'll stay put. Like KAD said he plays the 5 when Horry comes on the floor anyways and if we sign Scola Tim will play there when he comes in too..

Get yours today!!

Last edited by Quadzilla99; 06-18-06 at 05:13 AM.
Old 06-18-06, 07:29 AM
Banned

Yea, if we move him to the 5 we could rest him next year when teams play small ball
Old 06-18-06, 07:57 AM
Abominable snowballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAD
TD moves around all the time.. in case you have not noticed..
that's why it would be best to have someone who can also switch 4 and 5 alongside Tim.
someone in the mold of Sheed, Camby, PJ Brown. (Spurs tried to find that kind of player in Nazr and Oberto)
Tim will play whatever the roster forces him to play. if Javtokas signs and fits well and contributes right away, Tim will play as ever, starting at 4 and mostly finishing at 5.
If the Scola addition happens and he turns out to be the right man for us, Tim will play more 5.
long term i also see this scenario more likely, especially if the trend to smaller and quicker line-ups continues.
Old 06-18-06, 08:33 AM
SpursReport Rookie

I am looking forward to Javtokas's arrival.
Old 06-18-06, 10:12 AM
SpursReport Rookie

he's been a 5 ever since drob left i feel...
Old 06-18-06, 10:31 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Concur to all above....Tim played 5 against Dallas, which is what Pop had strategized [whoa, is that a word?]...think Pop didn't know that the rule changes would be more pronounced in the Dallas series, favoring the slashers? He knew...it's as if the League told him that the refs were going to be calling it tight on the edges, so he pulled the dinostegosaurusrex named Rasho/Nazr...and put in Duncan with some guards....

Thank Heaven....Spurs in 07.
BOYCOTT the 06 FINALS...Dallas sucks.
Old 06-18-06, 11:09 AM
SpursReport Rookie

TD has been playing 5 most of this past season except when the team plays an opponent with a true scoring center then Nazr/Rasho may get some time to keep him out of foul trouble & conserve energy. That said TD is at his best defensively when he can come of his man from the weak side to play help defense, block shot & rebound.

PF
Old 06-18-06, 12:37 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I am afraid it is officially time.
Old 06-18-06, 01:18 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

This situation is kind of troubling. I remember back after '03 during the summer debating with my friends whether or not Duncan would play the C. Their argument was that the spurs would have a difficult time even finding a solid C to replace David Robinson that Duncan would be forced to move to the C and plus it was Duncan's natural position since he played it for 4 years in college and would have played it in the NBA had he not been drafted by the spurs. Also they pointed out how Dream played PF at the start of his career then had to play C once Sampson left and how Duncan was in a similar situation. The third reason was that a PF was easily replaceable compared to a center and thus the spurs could find a PF easily if they move Duncan to C.

Duncan can dominate at C but still it just feels weird you know since the spurs have won 3 titles with Duncan primarily playing PF with a C playing right beside him. Also the spurs defensive schemes would take a massive overhaul considering the defense was based on the twin tower system.
Old 06-18-06, 01:57 PM
The Master Baiter

IMO, moving him to C would only be a change in title. He's always played like a center. He played more like a center than Drob did.
Old 06-18-06, 02:11 PM
SpursReport Team Member

It really is probably time for Duncan to start at the 5. Duncan is much better defending and scoring deep in the post as of late, and in a year or two he may start losing some footspeed. I doubt the Spurs will be able to trade Rasho so they'll still have him available when the Spurs play against a giant sized center. If Javtokas is athletic enough it could be really nice to have a dual PF/C combo like the Pistons, although I haven't seen the guy play ever so that's just speculation.
Old 06-18-06, 02:27 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickmoore
Yea, if we move him to the 5 we could rest him next year when teams play small ball
Old 06-18-06, 03:09 PM
Mr. Brightside

It depends who we sign
Old 06-18-06, 03:16 PM
SpursReport Team Member

4 or 5, its all good. I just want him to continue to dominate the paint..

"Today's game is style over substance. He's the opposite. He's substance over style. I think he's appreciated. I don't think he's adored."
Dave Odom, Duncan's college coach
Old 06-18-06, 07:15 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineballer
that's why it would be best to have someone who can also switch 4 and 5 alongside Tim.
someone in the mold of Sheed, Camby, PJ Brown. (Spurs tried to find that kind of player in Nazr and Oberto)
Tim will play whatever the roster forces him to play. if Javtokas signs and fits well and contributes right away, Tim will play as ever, starting at 4 and mostly finishing at 5.
If the Scola addition happens and he turns out to be the right man for us, Tim will play more 5.
long term i also see this scenario more likely, especially if the trend to smaller and quicker line-ups continues.
I agree with this. I would love to play him at 5 if we have a tall, athletic 4 who can be a presence in the paint in the mold of Sheed. Javtokas may fit that mold. But we can't afford to go Phoenix and play Tim with 4 guards.
Old 06-18-06, 07:24 PM
MomBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPURS and PAUL
I am looking forward to Javtokas's arrival.
Me too!

Old 06-18-06, 07:33 PM
SpursReport Rookie

i thought this was a trade duncan thread

Old 06-20-06, 01:18 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab
IMO, moving him to C would only be a change in title. He's always played like a center. He played more like a center than Drob did.
Yes it would be more of a change in title but it also would free up a starting 4 spot. That in itself changes what we are looking for in the off-season.
Old 06-20-06, 01:37 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSlicer
This situation is kind of troubling. I remember back after '03 during the summer debating with my friends whether or not Duncan would play the C. Their argument was that the spurs would have a difficult time even finding a solid C to replace David Robinson that Duncan would be forced to move to the C and plus it was Duncan's natural position since he played it for 4 years in college and would have played it in the NBA had he not been drafted by the spurs. Also they pointed out how Dream played PF at the start of his career then had to play C once Sampson left and how Duncan was in a similar situation. The third reason was that a PF was easily replaceable compared to a center and thus the spurs could find a PF easily if they move Duncan to C.

Duncan can dominate at C but still it just feels weird you know since the spurs have won 3 titles with Duncan primarily playing PF with a C playing right beside him. Also the spurs defensive schemes would take a massive overhaul considering the defense was based on the twin tower system.

Due to the rule changes Duncan as our starting center is now a must!!! Then we can bring in an athletic player that can play PF and SF. Javotkas should be looked at as a backup center period.

Players like Rasho and Nazr are not needed b/c there contribution on the defensive end does not out weigh there offensive limitation in the "Offense Era" NBA. That why you'll see teams try to unload all of there high salaried mediocre big men. Unless a center can truly dominate a game on one end and at least hold his own on the other, it is now too easy too neutralize these types of players and thats why the Spurs were forced to go small vs Dallas. Unfortunately we werent prepared and didnt have the versatility to squash Dallas like we will next year.
Old 06-20-06, 04:05 AM
Moderator in Flip Flops

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerush
I agree with this. I would love to play him at 5 if we have a tall, athletic 4 who can be a presence in the paint in the mold of Sheed. Javtokas may fit that mold. But we can't afford to go Phoenix and play Tim with 4 guards.
Against phoenix in '05, Tim played smallball and won with him at the post. What would be something is to find a tall, athletic five.... When is Greg Oden eligible for the draft again?
Pass is PINPOINT PERFECT
and somebody ends up WIDE OPEN
No Flash No Gimmicks NO CHANCE OF STOPPING IT
IT'S THE QUIET GUYS YOU SHOULD FEAR
because words are small and GAME IS BIG

GO GO!

I AM NINJA!
"We will either find a way, or make one."
~Hannibal~