News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-06, 10:07 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

tau preparing for life after scola leaves?

COURTESY OF SOLID D

http://www.eurobasket.com/tur/tur.asp

Peker To TAU? - Jun. 13, 2006 - by Serdar Ortakuyu
Efes Pilsen big man Kaya Peker (207-C/F-80, agency: Court Side) is still being rumored to join Spanish powerhouse TAU Ceramica. According to the Baskonian sources Kaya Peker (207-C/F-80, agency: Court Side) has a pre agreement with ACB finalists.
On today's edition of El Correa newspaper Serkan Erdogan (190-G-78, agency: Interperformances) who is currently playing for the Baskonian side made a statement about his friend Kaya Peker (207-C/F-80, agency: Court Side) and said "He is a very complete player, very good in all facts of the game. You will see he is a perfect fit for a club like Tau Ceramica."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-14-06, 10:16 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

interesting...maybe their expecting him to leave
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-14-06, 10:17 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Unfortunately it doesn't necessarily mean he will be playing for us...
Old 06-14-06, 10:18 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Well if he was coming to the NBA he either has to play for SA or SA has to trade him
Old 06-14-06, 10:19 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR
Didn't that Peker guy play for SA's summer league?
I think he played in 2004 if I'm not mistaken.
Old 06-14-06, 10:21 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzG
Well if he was coming to the NBA he either has to play for SA or SA has to trade him
I was referring to us trading his rights...I guess his moving to another club team in Europe isn't out of the question, though.
Old 06-14-06, 10:25 PM
SpursReport Team Member

They didn't mention Scola in that article they may be just trying to bolster their roster.
Old 06-14-06, 10:35 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

They're trying to get rid of Drobnjak, I believe. And their case is helped by Tiago Splitter sticking around for another year.

If TAU isn't expecting Scola to leave this year, then he certainly will after next season, when he's scot free of contract.
Old 06-14-06, 10:40 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurtime
I was referring to us trading his rights...I guess his moving to another club team in Europe isn't out of the question, though.
In the first place, I don't know about the specifics of the buyout clause for a fact, but I'd say it's pretty much a given that it's only valid for him to leave for the NBA, not Europe. Remember, he still has a contract binding him to Tau, and from everything read the 3.5M figure is not explicitly stipulated in the contract, but it's a verbal agreement that they've reached. So, he can't just come one day and say... hmmm... 'Here's your 3.5M. BTW, I changed my mind, I'm going to Barcelona now', because they won't release him. If he goes to the NBA, however, they'll get paid and they won't have to face him and bear angry hordes of fans... it would work for both Tau and Scola.

Finally, Tau is already one of the top European players, and even if he intended to play for another European club, he wouldn't get a contract large enough to both pay the buyout and at least match his current pay. To me it's clear that he either goes to the NBA, or he plays out his contract. If he follows the latter path, he might sign elsewhere once his current deal expires, but I don't think he'd be in a hurry to leave Tau for another European team, he's too comfortable there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzG
Yeah, to me it seems like Tau are getting ahead of themselves. Just because they now intend to have him go to the NBA it doesn't mean it's going to happen. There are a lot of parties involved, including Tau, Scola, the Spurs, and possibly another team interested, so their willingness is only a necessary condition, but hardly sufficient for Scola to play in the NBA.
fleetwood macbull (from a Bulls' board), on Andrés "Chapu" Nocioni: "Noc is like that guy from Monty Python. They can cut off his arms, his hands, his feet, then his legs, but he still comes rolling his torso at you like he's going to destroy you"

Last edited by mg06; 06-14-06 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-15-06, 06:35 AM
Abominable snowballer

don't forget that Tau will also lose Splitter 2007, so they have to look for bigs, no matter if Scola leaves or not.
and Drobnjak, who they signed last year, was not the help they hoped he will be (only had two or three godd games, but usually disappeared)