News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-06, 09:42 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Anyone else feel it should be SPURS v. PISTONS?

I'm not whining but it just seems weird for the Spurs not to be playing tonight--that its the Spurs who should be playing either the Heat or the Pistons and that this is some cruel nightmare. I can't watch it. I am only heartened by the idea that when next season begins (what, in the fall...October? November?), Pop will tell the SPURS to begin 07 as a NO EXCUSES season. No excuse for the Spurs not to dominate and to take care of business. No Excuses to win the SW Div. and NO EXCUSES against the Mavs or anyone else--no blaming the referees and near misses...I'm betting these guys come out ON FIRE in just a few short months. I boycott the games now so I can feel better about the tomorrows to come.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-13-06, 09:50 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

it is wrong it is not but it is time to move on
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-13-06, 10:02 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Nah, it should be Spurs vs. Heat. Duncan vs. Shaq, Ginobili vs. Wade, Pop vs. Riley, etc.

that would have been cool
Old 06-13-06, 11:33 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Location: The capital of Texas...that's right...Sunset Valley

Spurs didn't make the plays when they needed to, Pistons ran out of gas. Next question.

"Married men live longer. Yes. And an indoor cat also lives longer. It's a furball with a broken spirit, that can only look out on a world it can never enjoy. But it does technically live longer." - Bill Maher
Old 06-13-06, 11:46 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

IMO...the NBA made sure that would not happen again.

Gone are the days of an all defensive NBA finals.
Old 06-14-06, 04:59 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Location: Upstate New York, USA (and occasionally Thailand with my wife).

Quote:
Anyone else feel it should be SPURS v. PISTONS?
Yep. Or Spurs vs. Heat. All year long, since preseason, most people outside of Dallass felt that was the Finals.

Quote:

Ditto.

Fun Facts:
- I've been a Spurs fan since 1990.
- I got my wife hooked on the Spurs in 2004.
- I've watched and recorded every Spurs game from 1996 to 2005 on VHS.
- I've watched and recorded every Spurs game on DVD since 2006.
- I hate the La-La-Land Fakers and NBA Refs... possibly even more than I love the Spurs.

My websites:
www.chrusher.com
Old 06-14-06, 05:40 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Pistons didn't deserve to get to the Finals with the way they played.

I'm not willing to concede that Dallas was the better team against the Spurs, but there's really no separation, so Dallas deserves to represent the West.

But there's something I realized about how the Spurs were not too well received in the Finals they were in. Yes, the small market played a part, but really it is the style of the East representative that made the games harder to watch. The Spurs play lots of up and down in the West, with several exciting and, heck, high scoring affairs against Dallas, the Lakers, Denver, Sacramento etc. But they end up playing the Knicks, Nets and Pistons in the Finals, three defensive muck-it-up teams.

Spurs vs Miami would have been fun to watch.
Old 06-14-06, 06:47 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCdac
Nah, it should be Spurs vs. Heat. Duncan vs. Shaq, Ginobili vs. Wade, Pop vs. Riley, etc.
Old 06-14-06, 07:36 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyspurslover
as the saying goes.....

if it happened like it was suppossed to...why would we watch?
Exactly - that is why it is a game and that is why it is played,
Old 06-14-06, 08:36 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyspurslover
as the saying goes.....

if it happened like it was suppossed to...why would we watch?
it will be heaven, we'll be back in 07
Old 06-14-06, 09:48 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF4L

well, if ginobili BLOCKED nowitziki (DEFENSE) rather than fouling him, we might be here.

and i'm not picking on ginobili. any play. IF tim would have BLCKD some shot here, parker stole a ball there, mavs missed some shots, then the days of Defense would still be alive.

but we didn't.
Old 06-14-06, 10:27 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

I will always feel like the Spurs got robbed this year, and nothing will ever change that.

When the Lakers and Kobe and Shaq beat us, they beat us from the field, I might have been upset, but I felt like they were better then the Spurs.
When the Rockets and Hakeem beat us, again they beat us from the field, and in the end I knew they were a better team then us.
When Utah, Stockton and Malone were knocking us out of the playoffs, I also knew they were better then us.

But this year, this year I don't feel like the Mavericks were better then us. And here's why I feell like that. Now I know the refs always suck, I'm used to that becuase they have for a long time and seem to be getting worse by the year. I'm not going to cry about how many fouls, or how many free throws the Mavs got.
But I feel like the Spurs were robbed becuase in the 3 games they won, there were no wistles to bail them out and put them on the line with a chance to win the game, they actually had to make a big shot to win, and they did 3 times. And in all those 3 games the Mavs still had a chance to make a shot, but they weren't bailed out by the refs and shot 3 airballs.
Now the Mavs did kick our ass that one game, I will give them that. But in thier other 3 losses, Dirk No-nutz-ski was standing at the free throw line with the game on the line and less then 10 seconds on the clock. I've been watching the NBA for a long time, and I have never seen so many ticky-tack or just plain horrible calls at that point in the game, NEVER, not even when Jordan was playing. In other words when the Mavs were left to actually have to make a shot to win the game, they choked badly with airballs, and could only win if Dirk was bailed out by the refs.

I said this in another thread, but it is true. If the Mavs go on to win the championship, they won't have any damn buzzer beater shots with the team going nutz for hightlights. Even though they won a ton of close games in the playoffs, there just isn't anything exciting about watching a high-light of Dirk making free-throws.

Now you can say I'm just upset the Spurs lost, and don't want to give the Mavs credit. This isn't true, because I hated the Lakers much more, but gave them credit becuase they flat out beat us. And I would feel like the Mavs actually deserved to beat us, if they didn't get bailed out at the end of so many close games on fouls that aren't usually called during the game, much less with the game on the line.

I guess what I'm saying is that if Dirk or the Mavs actually made some shots to beat the Spurs, then I would feel like the Mavs deserve it. But watching him win game after game from the line, while seeing the same amount of contact being put on Duncan or Manu with no call in the same situations, just makes be feel like they didn't beat us. To me it feels more like the refs beat us, because of the way the whole series went down. This is the first time I feel like the best team didn't win, but the best free throw shooter did.
Old 06-14-06, 11:07 AM
SpursReport Rookie

No, I don't. I feel we were as good as the Mavs, and luck just went there way. That's good, because we can win next year, especially if Scola and/or RJav pan out. Heat deserved it this year, moreso than the Mavs even. Let's stop whining, and focus on next year. We can win another title. I think a decent chance the Pistons lose Ben. Either way, we're in it as long as they are, or more so. Go Spurs.
Old 06-14-06, 11:14 AM
SpursReport Team Member

It may be BIG D, but the Mavs will always be the Spurs' LITTLE brother.
Old 06-14-06, 12:03 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Bo Spur: You are a stud. Your comments are right on point. I just have this distaste for unfairness and as Sam Smith wrote in the Chicago paper, the best team doesn't always win...and that's what has happened this year. The real test, then, is next season...which begins in only a few months. I honestly believe this team will use this season as a springboard for at least 3 solid years of championship runs (maybe not winning all three years but being in the mix). The Spurs have the heart of a champion and a core group that can get them there.
Old 06-14-06, 04:34 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
I honestly believe this team will use this season as a springboard for at least 3 solid years of championship runs (maybe not winning all three years but being in the mix). The Spurs have the heart of a champion and a core group that can get them there.
I'm with you on that one, becuase the Spurs didn't play close to thier best basketball, and the Mavs were playing out of thier mind, and it still came down to pretty much one single play. I think we are going to see the most determined Manu Ginobilli and Spurs team then he have ever seen before next year.
The rivalry is on, and next year is pay back time.

The Spurs will get back what was taken from them!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-14-06, 05:38 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Its ova now, but it should be Spurs and Heat
Old 06-14-06, 06:06 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan9
well, if ginobili BLOCKED nowitziki (DEFENSE) rather than fouling him, we might be here.

and i'm not picking on ginobili. any play. IF tim would have BLCKD some shot here, parker stole a ball there, mavs missed some shots, then the days of Defense would still be alive.

but we didn't.
Had nothing to do with the what ifs you just mentioned regarding how the Spurs played more so than when other calls against the Spurs at key moments, (and an entire half courtesy Steve Jaffe), that made most of the difference in that entire series.

To say it again...The NBA made sure at least 1 of the previous teams from last year was not going to make it again.

It happened (for the so called good of the NBA), that neither team made it back.
Old 06-14-06, 06:13 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I hope it is Spurs vs. Pistons next year - just to give a giant middle finger to Stern and all casual fans.
Then chances are good that YOU ALMOST FREAKING KILLED ME IN THE PARKING LOT
Old 06-15-06, 10:46 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

How sad is it that David Stern looked around the league and says to himself "I like the Suns and Mavs, I'll hire Coangelo to make some rule changes to benifit thier style of play"

Old 06-15-06, 12:44 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF4L
The NBA made sure at least 1 of the previous teams from last year was not going to make it again.
yeah, i feel bad for the pistons. the nba is really on their case.

but it sucks that the mavs beat the spurs.
Old 06-15-06, 12:51 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

I only feel it should have been the Spurs and whoever from the east. But it didn't happen. I know next year this team will still be as dangerous and as good. The thing that beat us this year was our health. Tim struggled the whole year and when he finally got healthy Tony got banged up, and Manu just never recovered from those leg and ankle injuries that plagued him all year. Whenever the question comes up as to what the Spurs need to win a title, health is my no. 1 answer.