News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 06-12-06, 10:23 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Finals will end in Miami

Finals will end in Miami
Monday, June 12, 2006
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...n.d9a61ee.html

Attention, Mavs fans: In the NBA Finals ticket package you split with your business partner, here's hoping you didn't draw Games 6 and 7.

The only way the Mavs come back from Miami is on a float.

Map the parade route. Schedule the sick day.

Train the fire hoses on Mark Cuban.

Miami's chances of getting back here?

Good as a Shaq free throw.

What else are you supposed to think after the Mavs' incredibly easy 99-85 victory Sunday put the locals up 2-0?

Pat Riley knows what we'll say. He's heard the same in virtually each round of the playoffs.

"We were history," he said, chuckling at the media reaction. "I'm sure we're history right now."

Couldn't have said it better, actually.

Certainly Riley said it better than Shaquille O'Neal, who disappeared from this series long before he left American Airlines Center on Sunday without a word.

Never got off the bench in the fourth quarter. Came up with a career playoff-low 5 points on 2 of 5 shooting.

And that after Miami vowed to get him more touches than he had in Game 1.

Even when he got the ball, Shaq didn't exactly help himself. He's now 2-of-16 from the free throw line in the Finals, which pretty much sums up Miami's effort, too.

Correction: On behalf of my colleagues at SportsDay, I'd like to apologize for the half-dozen geniuses who picked the Heat to win the NBA Finals.

Geez. I feel guilty for picking the Mavs to win in six.

In pivotal Game 2, where an angry Shaq figured to wreak havoc after going ignored in the opener and Dwyane Wade was supposed to be close to getting over his cold, the so-called best 1-2 punch in the game was KO'd.

Question: How has the best set of NBA playoffs in memory come to this ugly end?

Answer: At least it ought to be quick. Not sure how merciful.

Think this series is still too early to call? Want to remind of the San Antonio series, when the Mavs went up 3-1 and needed a miracle three-point play from Dirk Nowitzki just to get into overtime in Game 7?

Forget it. San Antonio was a far more worthy opponent. Phoenix, too.

Even Memphis wasn't as grisly as Miami.

In these Finals, only Dallas beats Dallas.

Take Sunday's first half. Nowitzki and Josh Howard were a combined 3-of-10 in the first quarter, a continuation of Game 1's malaise. And their teammates weren't much better.

Shot 33.3 percent for the quarter.

Turned it over six times.

And still led by one.

Not until midway through the second quarter did the Mavs finally take off, specifically on the 3-point shooting of Jerry Stackhouse.

Otherwise, the Mavs' didn't do anything out of the ordinary. Nowitzki had his usual 26 points and 16 rebounds.

Dallas' depth, defense and versatility simply made the Heat look old and slow and confused and about two games short of summer vacation.

Who's going to beat the Mavs now? Not Wade. Not when he's going to have less time to recover between games.

Shaq? Not when he's taking half as many shots as Jason Williams took in the first half.

Antoine Walker had more shots, too, and seemed to think it was a good idea afterward.

Question: Who do you think gets booted first in the Miami Heat version of Survivor, Walker or Williams?

Come to think of it, maybe it wouldn't have mattered if Shaq had the ball any more. Any time the ball went into the post, and the Mavs moved in, Shaq simply passed out of the double team.

Note to the rest of the big, bad East: Do you think now it's a good idea to double Shaq?

"They know who to stay home on," Riley said of the Mavs' defense, "and who to leave open."

Give Avery Johnson credit. He and Del Harris have come up with another great game plan.

But don't forget the Heat's contribution. Riley hasn't.

"We'll obviously have to play a helluva lot better," he said, "than we played here."

And even that won't be good enough. Four games, maybe five, and that's it.

Question: Do they still make ticker tape?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-12-06, 10:32 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

The media in dallas are pretty cocky right now. This is the third article in a row that I have seen a dallas paper saying it was all but over. Karma dudes. Karma.
Old 06-12-06, 10:36 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Each team will win one game for sure. Then the other game will be even money 50:50. The Heat have enough fight in them to challenge Dallas at home.
Old 06-12-06, 10:36 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

The media is being cocky, but the mavs are the ones backing it up. Frankly I think he's right and the series does end in Miami.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-12-06, 10:37 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

when spurs blew the pistons away the first 2 games last year everyone said the same thing
guess what it did not happen
Old 06-12-06, 10:40 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks
when spurs blew the pistons away the first 2 games last year everyone said the same thing
I think last year's pistons are head and shoulders above miami.
Lest we forget, in the biggest NBA game of the last decade, the Spurs handled the Pistons in the type of game that Detroit is supposedly built for. In deciding games between San Antonio and Detroit, the Spurs are 1-0, and the Pistons are 0-1.
Old 06-12-06, 10:43 PM
Moderator in Flip Flops

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurs7794
I think last year's pistons are head and shoulders above miami.
And unfortunately, ref induced or not, this year's Spurs just came up short in the semis. :richb

Otherwise, the back to back is still on.... No use crying over spilt forty ouncers...
Pass is PINPOINT PERFECT
and somebody ends up WIDE OPEN
No Flash No Gimmicks NO CHANCE OF STOPPING IT
IT'S THE QUIET GUYS YOU SHOULD FEAR
because words are small and GAME IS BIG

GO GO!

I AM NINJA!
"We will either find a way, or make one."
~Hannibal~

Last edited by Joe Tango from San Diego; 06-12-06 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-12-06, 11:07 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hantler
and I think last year's Spurs were head and shoulders above the Mavericks.
and I think that neither last year's Pistons or last year's Spurs are in this year's finals, so the Mavs being head and shoulders above the Heat is really the only thing that matters.

Has anyone really seen anything out of Miami to convince them that they've got a better shot than we did to beat the Mavs? I sure haven't. I'm not saying I like it, but that's the way I see it.
Old 06-12-06, 11:10 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
He does have a point.

And even the Knicks beat the Spurs ONCE in '99 (thanks Refs).
Old 06-12-06, 11:19 PM
SpursReport Team Member

That guy draws a salary writing like that? I've seen many, many posts that are the same thing; one guy giving his opinion. A sports writer should occasionally tell us something we don't know or give us some inside information.

Last edited by Quadzilla99; 06-13-06 at 12:19 AM.
Old 06-13-06, 01:10 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

The NBA will do anything in there power to avoid another NBA Finals sweep. Seriously thats the last thing they ever want.
Old 06-13-06, 01:43 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Dallas media may be cocky, but they're right. Mavs are going to take this series handily. They're deeper, younger, faster, and play better together than Miami does. They're better offensively and defensively and Avery is doing a great job coaching them and keeping them focused. Maimi's only real advantage was Shaq, and he's been a non-factor so far. Miami may win one game at home (through sheer guts and effort) to avoid total humiliation, but a sweep is not out of the question. Injury is the only way Dallas loses this series.
Old 06-13-06, 01:53 AM
Dr. Doom!!!

Think this series is still too early to call? Want to remind of the San Antonio series, when the Mavs went up 3-1 and needed a miracle three-point play from Dirk Nowitzki just to get into overtime in Game 7?

Forget it. San Antonio was a far more worthy opponent

^^^^^^^^^^^^ AND THATS the damn truth there........ Thats the only part I liked in this.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 06-13-06, 03:36 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Even if it doesn't end in Miami, the Mavs are still going to win the whole thing. Time to take our medicine and move on.
Old 06-13-06, 05:36 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Does anyone else feel annoyed that people Dallas are now defensive team? Dallas playing D? The world has truly ended!
Old 06-13-06, 06:58 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

I dont think it ends in Miami

the Heat will win more than 1 of the 3 home games. Its going back to Dallas for sure IMO

SA media isnt that great but I dont ever remember them acting so cocky in their writing..not even Buck Harvey
Old 06-13-06, 07:39 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

I got tickets to game six in Dallas for a girlfriend of mine....she's the Mavs fan, obviously....there better be a damn game six!!!
Old 06-13-06, 08:48 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousJames
I got tickets to game six in Dallas for a girlfriend of mine....she's the Mavs fan, obviously....there better be a damn game six!!!
are you goig too? I couldnt stomach that!
Old 06-13-06, 09:59 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Exaclty - and then when the Spurs lost game #3, suddenly it was over for them. The media over-reacts as usual. Anything for a story to write about.
Shaq has been an embarrasment. Time to step up and dominate.
Old 06-13-06, 10:10 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurssheriff
He does have a point.

And even the Knicks beat the Spurs ONCE in '99 (thanks Refs).
I have a question as a completely independent observer getting a lot of laughs from this message board:

When the Spurs lose is it ever NOT the ref's fault?
Old 06-13-06, 10:18 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh_my_lord
now that deserves a

the answer is of course not.

almighty spurs, unquestionably the best team ever, never lose.
so that there will still be excitement and uncertainty in the league, the nba has set up a system where the refs dictate the spurs outcomes.
Old 06-13-06, 10:24 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan9
now that deserves a

the answer is of course not.

almighty spurs, unquestionably the best team ever, never lose.
so that there will still be excitement and uncertainty in the league, the nba has set up a system where the refs dictate the spurs outcomes.

Well, I think I understand now. This must have something to do with "Mark Cuban's underworld dealings" that I read about yesterday???
Old 06-13-06, 10:37 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

I'm afraid the Mavs haters are going to be very disappointed. Anyone can see that Dallas has a superior squad to Miami. And now with a two game to nil lead?

What we need to worry about is how we are going to be able to defeat a young and improving Mavs team next season. They aren't gong anywhere.
Old 06-13-06, 10:47 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
What we need to worry about is how we are going to be able to defeat a young and improving Mavs team next season. They aren't gong anywhere.
Jason Terry might be, and even if they come back with the same roster, you can bet the Spurs will make some off-season adjustments. Besides, I think a healthy Phoenix team with Amare back will be more of a threat than Dallas.

"Getting a Sixth Man award is like being the best left-handed guard," Ginobili said. "I believe you're either the best player or not." 3-26-07
Old 06-13-06, 11:09 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
I have a question as a completely independent observer getting a lot of laughs from this message board:

Believe it or not there's a few of us around here who don't feel that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyspurslover
yea, this point is not lost on me.

as someone who posts here daily, it really bothers me that this is the mentality here.
Agreed. The double standard that "we" can blame it all on officiating, and then turn around and bash anyone else who decides to blame officiating is also bothersome.
Old 06-13-06, 11:41 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:

its funny you are still around here complaining about what people post when you were just commenting on Spurs fans complaining about other things in another thread

:richb

Quote:
its not like the Spurs were far off...series went to a game 7 were one shot could have prob won the series...not to mention several other games in the series that were winnable for SA that didnt happen. They will make some adjustments but I dont believe there is some "gap" between the two teams. A call here...a missed shot there..and ball bounce here..and SA might have been in the finals. it was VERY close
Old 06-13-06, 06:05 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzG
are you goig too? I couldnt stomach that!
I know...but it's all for the girl....so I'll suck it up and put a smile on...hahahaha.
Old 06-13-06, 07:01 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousJames
I know...but it's all for the girl....so I'll suck it up and put a smile on...hahahaha.
she better be good...I dont think I could sit in the arena and watch Dallas possibly win a title
Old 06-13-06, 11:12 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

looks like the mavs lost
someone forgot to tell the heat they were suppose to roll over and die
Old 06-13-06, 11:29 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzG
she better be good...I dont think I could sit in the arena and watch Dallas possibly win a title
good at what
Old 06-14-06, 07:05 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyspurslover
this is all reminding me of the 1999 spurs title.

i expect dallas to come back refocused, and wrap it up down there.

but we shall see....
I think it gets tied up 2-2 after game 4

Series will go back to Dallas
Old 06-15-06, 09:22 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

at this rate it will be 3-2 heat going to texas
Old 06-15-06, 10:14 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Yes...

Its might be 3-2 Heta after Saturday night
Brooklyn's #1 Spurs fan!!!
Old 06-15-06, 11:03 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Guess the Mavs have choked their way into a 2-2 tie. Credit Wade for an outstanding performace in Miami, but the Mavs haven't done themselves any favors. They had many chances to get back into tonight's game but didn't capitalize. Awful performances all around. To think they were 6 minutes away from 3-0 on Tuesday.
Old 06-15-06, 11:15 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobEX
Guess the Mavs have choked their way into a 2-2 tie. Credit Wade for an outstanding performace in Miami, but the Mavs haven't done themselves any favors. They had many chances to get back into tonight's game but didn't capitalize. Awful performances all around. To think they were 6 minutes away from 3-0 on Tuesday.

But the mentality the Mavs will have is that they would rather win it on their homecourt in front of their newfound bandwagon fans. Let's hope the Heat will carry enough back to Dallas to take a win.
Old 06-15-06, 11:20 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSPURS
Yes...

Its might be 3-2 Heta after Saturday night
Hmmmmmmmmm Famuos James takes his girl there for game 6 and the HEAT win for the TITLE, how sweet would that be to see them at home losing the title? I mean HOW SWEET WOULD THAT BE??????? I would just love it, although he would get none that night if she is a FAN LIKE US (When we lose I just lay there in bed heated and can't think about sex). That would be great, even for him deep inside he could smile that night and say another night I get it, oh well MAVS LOSTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.

Last edited by Rzarector7; 06-15-06 at 11:24 PM.
Old 06-15-06, 11:31 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzarector7
Hmmmmmmmmm Famuos James takes his girl there for game 6 and the HEAT win for the TITLE, how sweet would that be to see them at home losing the title? I mean HOW SWEET WOULD THAT BE??????? I would just love it, although he would get none that night if she is a FAN LIKE US (When we lose I just lay there in bed heated and can't think about sex). That would be great, even for him deep inside he could smile that night and say another night I get it, oh well MAVS LOSTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now THAT'S what I call a wet dream!

Damn, I wish I was Famous James!
Old 06-15-06, 11:37 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

It was sweet watching Dallas wilt with every missed shot.

But I've said it - Miami will win one outright, one team will win the 50:50 game (looks like Miami did it in Game 3), and Dallas will win the other game outright. My prediction is that Dallas will take Game 5.

Now what's going to happen in Game 6? I do not know.
Old 06-15-06, 11:47 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Dallas didn't look like a team ready to win a Game 6. Let's see how they regroup.
Old 06-16-06, 12:01 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Sometimes it's good to be wrong. I didn't think Miami had a game like this in them. Hopefully the heat can continue this trend and make me eat a nice plate of crow, but I still think Dallas wins this series.
Old 06-16-06, 12:01 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Maybe we should call local ticketmaster for game 6 tix and sell to mavs fans
Old 06-16-06, 12:26 AM
SpursReport Rookie

I was dating a girl a few years ago who was from Houston and a huge Rockets fan.

We went to a Spurs game--I yelled for SA and she went crazy when the Rockets scored.

Afterwards, we got home; I scored and she yelled like crazy all night long...
Old 06-16-06, 07:10 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

I see no reason to think Miami cant win game 5 at home

even more reason not going to change my prediction of Miami winning the title

it was just silly to call this series over after 2 games
Old 06-16-06, 04:13 PM
SpursReport Rookie

wow, looking back at the "articles" the _allas Morning News puts out can be pretty funny in hindsight.
Old 06-19-06, 04:29 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousspirit
The media in dallas are pretty cocky right now. This is the third article in a row that I have seen a dallas paper saying it was all but over. Karma dudes. Karma.

god i bet this writer feels like an a ss right now
Old 06-19-06, 04:55 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Does anyone have a map of the Mavs "parade route"? :richb
Old 06-19-06, 05:12 PM
Mr. Brightside

that guys next article will be on a dog show or something
Old 06-19-06, 06:10 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV
Does anyone have a map of the Mavs "parade route"? :richb
Here is the parade route......