News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 05-30-06, 03:28 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Free Agent Breakdowns

Best Free Agents

NBA Free Agent Rankings

By InsideHoops.com | Apr. 23, 2005 NBA free agent rankings of the still-unsigned players. The NBA free agent rankings are updated every few days, and every time a major free agent finds a home. RFA = restricted free agent. Also see NBA free agents list.

NBA Free Agent Rankings

For the summer of 2006:

2006 NBA Free Agent Centers:

1) Ben Wallace, Detroit Pistons -- Big Ben wants to stay with Detroit, and Detroit wants to keep him. InsideHoops.com places the odds on him staying at 99 percent likely.

2) Nene, Denver Nuggets -- Perhaps a power forward, but we'll call him a center. Nene missed the 2005-06 season due to injury, and the Nuggets missed him. But if he seeks a star's payday, Denver will probably let him go get overpaid elsewhere.

3) Joel Przybilla, Portland Trail Blazers -- The Blazers are a mess, and big Joel probably wants out. He's a decent big guy. Not a star, but he wouldn't be the league's worst starting center.

4) Nazr Mohammed, San Antonio Spurs -- Ideally brought off the bench, but decent enough to start for a team that has tons of stars at other positions.

5) Alonzo Mourning, Miami Heat -- Zo is better than everyone above not named Ben Wallace, but he's ranked down here due to his age and health issue, the former of which should catch up with him any season now. He could go anywhere, or stay. It's a tossup.

2006 NBA Free Agent Power Forwards:

1) Al Harrington, Atlanta Hawks -- Puts up extremely nice numbers, but he's not a star to build a team around. Harrington is a tweener, but we'll call him a PF instead of SF. It's very likely he's gone from Atlanta.

2) 2) Chris Wilcox, Seattle Sonics (restricted) -- Went from a bench player with athletic ability as a Clipper to one of the league's brightest young power forwards in Seattle, thanks to a mid-season trade. If he's not too greedy, will get a nice chunk of change from Seattle.

3) Vladimir Radmanovic, Los Angeles Clippers -- Turned down a pretty sizable contract from the Sonics a year ago, wound up getting traded (in the Wilcox deal) to the Clippers, and has done pretty well. He's a small forward in a power forward's body. He probably wants more money than the Clippers would want to pay.

4) Drew Gooden, Cleveland Cavaliers (restricted) -- It's not likely that anyone will throw sizable money at him, so chances are Drew stays another season with the Cavs and becomes unrestricted a year later.

5) Keith Van Horn, Dallas Mavericks -- Doesn't get much publicity in Dallas behind the likes of Dirk Nowitzki, but Keith can still play and can put up big points and acceptable rebounds if given the time.

2006 NBA Free Agent Small Forwards:

1) Peja Stojakovic, Indiana Pacers (Can opt out) -- Stojakovic can opt out of his contract to become a free agent, and recently said he probably will do so. He's making over $8 million this season and InsideHoops.com sources in the GM world don't think he'll get much more than that from anyone. Chances are he winds up staying with the Pacers.

2) Tim Thomas, Phoenix Suns -- Played pretty well in Phoenix and although he'll never reach the potential many thought he had years ago, Tim is a player and can probably get a deal as a poor man's starter or rich man's backup.

3) Rasual Butler, NOK Hornets -- Not as well known as the league's other Butler (Caron), but Rasual plays well on both ends of the floor and can pretty much do everything. Likely to get the kind of deal we described Tim Thomas might (see above).

4) Qyntel Woods, New York Knicks -- Woods has shown himself to be a real player when given minutes with NY this season. He's extremely athletic and has more potential than many realize. No one will offer him starter money, but he should get a legit contract from someone.

5) Devean George, Los Angeles Lakers -- Worth signing as a backup small forward.

2006 NBA Free Agent Shooting Guards:

1) Bonzi Wells, Sacramento Kings -- Although Wells missed time due to injury, his 2005-06 season has been terrific. He's played very good ball. Could stay, but the Kings have Kevin Martin to handle the shooting guard spot if he gets bigger money elsewhere.

2) Flip Murray, Cleveland Cavaliers -- A decent scorer who can handle the starting job but is likely best used as a team's main scorer off the bench.

2006 NBA Free Agent Point Guards:

1) Jason Terry, Dallas Mavericks -- JT wants to stay with the Mavs, and Dallas wants to keep him. As long as Terry doesn't get greedy and stays reasonable, he'll be paid properly like a pretty good starter should.

2) Mike James, Toronto Raptors (can opt out) -- James has been on a mission this season to show he's a real player, and he pretty much succeeded. A scoring point guard, he's over 30 and hoping to finally get one nice, fat contract from any team in the league; though Mike would prefer a winner.

3) Sam Cassell, Los Angeles Clippers -- The old fella still plays great basketball and hasn't slowed down. But we bet people still underestimate his value because of his age. If the Clippers are smart, they'll keep him.

4) Marcus Banks, Minnesota Timberwolves -- The Celtics gave up on him and traded him to the Timberwolves, and although the team doesn't win often, Banks has been a bright spot. He has probably earned a contract as a poor man's starter or rich man's backup. Might stay.

5) Speedy Claxton, NOK Hornets -- Used more as a scorer than a point guard off the Hornets bench, but a decent player who probably doesn't want to be stuck behind Chris Paul forever and therefore might change teams.

Other Notables for 2006 NBA Free Agency:

Francisco Elson (Denver-restricted), Reggie Evans (Denver), DerMarr Johnson (Denver), Bobby Jackson (Memphis), Trevor Ariza (Orlando-restricted), David Wesley (Houston), Michael Olowokandi (Boston), DJ MBenga (Dallas-restricted), John Salmons (Philadelphia-restricted), Latrell Sprewell.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Free Agents Currently Playing

2006 NBA Free Agency

By InsideHoops.com | April 21, 2006 NBA free agency is the term to describe players that are not signed to contracts. They are free agents. Unrestricted free agents can sign with any team that offers them a contract. Restricted free agents can do the same, only the team they had just been a member of has the right to match the contract and keep the player.

COMPLETE 2006 NBA FREE AGENTS LIST

This list does not include players subject to a team or player option for the 2006-07 season or players that have the right to terminate their contracts after the 2005-06 season.

The information in parentheses is their years of service (through and including the 2005-06 season) and lists whether the player will be a restricted or unrestricted free agent at the conclusion of their current contracts.

Acker, Alex (1;RFA)
Anderson, Shandon (10;UFA)
Ariza, Trevor (2;RFA)
Armstrong, Darrell (12;UFA)
Atkins, Chucky (8;UFA)
Augmon, Stacey (15;UFA)
Banks, Marcus (3;UFA)
Barnes, Matt (4;UFA)
Barry, Jon (14;UFA)
Battie, Tony (9;UFA)
Baxter, Lonny (4;UFA)
Bogans, Keith (3;RFA)
Bradley, Michael (5;UFA)
Brunson, Rick (10;UFA)
Burks, Antonio (2;RFA)
Burleson, Kevin (1;RFA)
Butler, Jackie (2;RFA)
Butler, Rasual (4;UFA)
Carter, Anthony (8;UFA)
Cassell, Sam (13;UFA)
Cato, Kelvin (9;UFA)
Cheaney, Calbert (13;UFA)
Claxton, Speedy (6;UFA)
Collins, Jarron (5;UFA)
Davis, Antonio (13;UFA)
Delk, Tony (10;UFA)
Dupree, Ronald (3;RFA)
Elson, Francisco (3;RFA)
Ely, Melvin (4;RFA)
Evans, Reggie (4;UFA)
Frahm, Richie (4;UFA)
Gaines, Reece (3;UFA)
George, Devean (7;UFA)
Gill, Eddie (6;UFA)
Gooden, Drew (4;RFA)
Green, Devin (1;RFA)
Griffin, Adrian (8;UFA)
Hardaway, Anfernee (13;UFA)
Harpring, Matt (8;UFA)
Harrington, Al (8;UFA)
Henderson, Alan (11;UFA)
Hunter, Lindsey (13;UFA)
Jackson, Bobby (9;UFA)
Jackson, Jermaine (6;UFA)
Jackson, Jim (14;UFA)
Jeffries, Jared (4;RFA)
Johnson, DerMarr (6;UFA)
Johnson, Ervin (13;UFA)
Jones, Fred (4;RFA)
Jones, Jumaine (7;UFA)
Kasun, Mario (2;RFA)
Kukoc, Toni (13;UFA)
Lenard, Voshon (11;UFA)
Marks, Sean (7;UFA)
Martin, Darrick (11;UFA)
Mashburn, Jamal (13;UFA)
Mbenga, DJ (2;RFA)
McCarty, Walter (10;UFA)
Medvedenko, Slava (6;UFA)
Mohammed, Nazr (8;UFA)
Morris, Terence (4;UFA)
Mourning, Alonzo (14;UFA)
Murray, Lamond (12;UFA)
Murray, Ronald (4;UFA)
Nailon, Lee (6;UFA)
Ndong, Boniface (1;RFA)
Nene (4;RFA)
Olowokandi, Michael (8;UFA)
Ostertag, Greg (11;UFA)
Outlaw, Bo (13;UFA)
Owens, Andre (1;RFA)
Palacio, Milt (7;UFA)
Pargo, Jannero (4;UFA)
Payton, Gary (16;UFA)
Piatkowski, Eric (12;UFA)
Pollard, Scot (9;UFA)
Przybilla, Joel (6;UFA)
Radmanovic, Vladimir (5;UFA)
Randolph, Shavlik (1;RFA)
Reed, Justin (2;RFA)
Robinson, Bernard (2;RFA)
Russell, Bryon (13;UFA)
Salmons, John (4;RFA)
Sampson, Jamal (4;UFA)
Smith, Charles (6;UFA)
Storey, Awvee (2;RFA)
Terry, Jason (7;UFA)
Thomas, Tim (9;UFA)
Van Exel, Nick (13;UFA)
Van Horn, Keith (9;UFA)
Vaughn, Jacque (9;UFA)
Voskuhl, Jake (6;UFA)
Vroman, Jackson (2;RFA)
Wallace, Ben (10;UFA)
Wells, Bonzi (8;UFA)
Welsch, Jiri (4;RFA)
Wesley, David (14;UFA)
Wilcox, Chris (4;RFA)
Wilks, Mike (5;UFA)
Williams, Aaron (12;UFA)
Woods, Loren (5;UFA)
Woods, Qyntel (4;UFA)
Wright, Lorenzen (10;UFA)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Free Agents not currently playing

NBA Free Agents

By InsideHoops.com | Apr. 22, 2006

This is a list of NBA free agents who weren't on NBA teams at the end of the 2005-06 season. These are guys who basically have spent the last year out of the NBA.

If you want to see a regular NBA free agent list of guys who actually were in the NBA last season and are now available, then hit our 2006 NBA free agency page. Most of those guys will stay in the NBA. Most of the guys below won't.

Also see NBA Free Agent Rankings for the best 2006 NBA Free Agents at each position.

NBA FREE AGENTS WHO WEREN'T IN THE NBA AT THE END OF THE 2005-06 SEASON

POINT GUARDS
Jay Williams, Tierre Brown, Anthony Goldwire, Kareem Reid, Troy Bell, Robert Pack, Tito Maddox, Kenny Anderson, Rod Strickland, Horace Jenkins, Yuta Tabuse, Alex Garcia, Chris Thomas, Jamison Brewer, Frank Williams, Erick Strickland

SHOOTING GUARDS
Latrell Sprewell, Penny Hardaway, Dajuan Wagner, Doug Christie, Rodney Buford, Kendall Gill, Ron Mercer, Matt Walsh, Wesley Person, Dion Glover, Laron Profit, Kennedy Winston, Lucious Harris, Anthony Peeler, Corey Benjamin, Jimmie Hunter, Felipe Lopez, Andre Emmett, Geno Carlisle

SMALL FORWARDS
Lee Nailon, Glenn Robinson, George Lynch, Rodney Rogers, Kedrick Brown, Eddie Robinson, Chris Crawford, Ndudi Ebi, Roger Powell Jr., Sean Lampley, Josh Davis, Kaniel Dickens, Tang Hamilton, Dan Langhi, Darvin Ham, Billy Thomas, Chris Porter, Tremaine Fowlkes, Sharrod Ford, Lawrence Funderburke, Sean Banks, Darius Rice, Chris Jefferies

POWER FORWARDS
Robert Traylor, Samaki Walker, Christian Laettner, Sam Clancy, Tom Gugliotta, Jerome Moiso, Clarence Weatherspoon, Cherokee Parks, Ryan Humphrey, Tony Massenburg, Mark Pope, Kimani Ffriend, Lucas Tischer

CENTERS
Jahidi White, Ben Handlogten, Andrew DeClercq, Oliver Miller, Wang Zhizhi, Curtis Borchardt, Amal McCaskill, Roy Tarpley, Vladimir Stepania, Nate Huffman, Jayson Williams, Jared Reiner, Kyle Davis, Olden Polynice, Peter Cornell, Keith Closs, Mamadou N'Diaye, Elden Campbell

Are we missing a good player? If so, email us .

Dave McNulla
Spurs Fan

Tweet Me
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-30-06, 06:27 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Too bad about Speedy. The guy left us to "start" at Golden State, then ends up with the Hornets not "starting" there either. Imagine if he's just stayed a Spur...
Old 05-30-06, 09:11 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

przbilla would be an upgrade at center-pryzbilla/rasho is an upgrade over rasho/nazr....esp. if javkotkas comes over.

wallace would be a great addition as he could possible play with duncan.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-30-06, 09:30 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Nobody picked up Jay Williams since he became a free agent. If he gets another summer of working on his explosiveness, he could be a steal. The guy was, after all, a #2 pick, and is coachable.

If he's even 90% athletically, the Spurs should grab him.
Old 05-30-06, 09:41 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnwhuxley
Nobody picked up Jay Williams since he became a free agent. If he gets another summer of working on his explosiveness, he could be a steal. The guy was, after all, a #2 pick, and is coachable.

Then we could bring in Javtokas too, and the Spurs can start a new trend of bringing in rehabilitated motorcycle acccident victims.

Soon all the teams will be doing it.
Old 05-30-06, 09:49 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

NBA FREE AGENTS WHO WEREN'T IN THE NBA AT THE END OF THE 2005-06 SEASON

POINT GUARDS
Jay Williams, Tierre Brown, Anthony Goldwire, Kareem Reid, Troy Bell, Robert Pack, [u]Tito Maddox, Kenny Anderson, Rod Strickland, Horace Jenkins, Yuta Tabuse, Alex Garcia, Chris Thomas, Jamison Brewer, Frank Williams, Erick Strickland

Robert Pack?!?!!?!

he's got to be at least 50.
Old 05-30-06, 09:50 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Guys, I was wondering if some of you, for some reason, followed the Jazz, the Hornets, and / or the Bobcats this season. Basically I'd like to know your more in-depth views of the recent play of Matt Harpring, Rasual Butler and Jumaine Jones from people who get to watch them on a regular basis. I think they could be a decent alternative, if no other -more prominent- swingmen are available. Your insight would be much appreciated.

Quote:

I was thinking about him, and I had much more modest expectations than the 90% you mentioned. But the word is, he's far, far away from his former self. He's talked about every now and then in Bulls' boards, and that's what they say, at least. Beware I have no first hand knowledge of it, so I go by their words.
fleetwood macbull (from a Bulls' board), on Andrés "Chapu" Nocioni: "Noc is like that guy from Monty Python. They can cut off his arms, his hands, his feet, then his legs, but he still comes rolling his torso at you like he's going to destroy you"
Old 05-30-06, 10:01 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg06
I was thinking about him, and I had much more modest expectations than the 90% you mentioned. But the word is, he's far, far away from his former self. He's talked about every now and then in Bulls' boards, and that's what they say, at least. Beware I have no first hand knowledge of it, so I go by their words.
That is why I mentioned that we should see what he can do after another summer of working out to improve his athleticism.
Old 05-30-06, 10:22 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Guys, I was wondering if some of you, for some reason, followed the Jazz, the Hornets, and / or the Bobcats this season. Basically I'd like to know your more in-depth views of the recent play of Matt Harpring, Rasual Butler and Jumaine Jones from people who get to watch them on a regular basis. I think they could be a decent alternative, if no other -more prominent- swingmen are available. Your insight would be much appreciated.
I went to 4 Hornets games this year. Rasual Butler seemed like a solid bench player. Every now and then he would make a group of threes. He had some good dunks. I didn't pay much attention to him, blame Chris Paul. Reminded me of a level-headed Stephen Jackson.
Old 05-30-06, 10:28 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Guys, I was wondering if some of you, for some reason, followed the Jazz, the Hornets, and / or the Bobcats this season. Basically I'd like to know your more in-depth views of the recent play of Matt Harpring, Rasual Butler and Jumaine Jones from people who get to watch them on a regular basis. I think they could be a decent alternative, if no other -more prominent- swingmen are available. Your insight would be much appreciated..
Haven't seen too much of Jumaine Jones so I can't really comment on him other than to say the couple games I did see him I wasn't overly impressed. Five different teams over his 7 year career should tell you something too.

Butler's a great spot up shooter, but doesn't give much else. Can't shoot if he's moving, doesn't rebound, doesn't pass.

Harpring's a good player. He's one of those garbage guys who just always seems to know where to be to get the offensive board and putback. He's smart, and physical, and basically what you'd expect out of a Jerry Sloan player. He kind of reminds me of Danny Ferry, just with not as good of range on his jumper, but a better rebounder. I like Harpring alot and think he could do well on a team like the Spurs.
Old 05-30-06, 11:26 PM
SpursReport Team Member

* would love to see Speedy *ome ba*k, and * wouldn't m*nd snagg*ng D. George.

Poss*ble anyone?
Is our defense that good? I think so. And the scary part is that the whole team seems to take a sadistic pride in shutting people down. What is Pop feeding them? They looked brainwashed out there, a single minded machine that just eats up their opponents. -----pjrfan
Old 05-31-06, 06:02 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Mike James or Speedy claxton would be great back up PGs.
Old 05-31-06, 06:51 AM
SpursReport Rookie

I really don't expect a lot changes with the Spurs. Only a free agent or two is needed and mostly as role players. I see a need for Rasual Butler as Bowens heir and Claxton as a possibilty if Beno is deemed not ready for prime minutes (playoffs).Expect Nazr to walk for nothing since Scola and/orJavtokas will replace him. ( If the Hornets are interested in Nazr though -as the N.O. papers says-the Spurs might be interested in aquiring Smith again)

The free agents the Spurs should be considering is Radmonovic. I think he can be coached up to play better team D than he does now-don't everyone when they join the Spurs?.He gets us younger and more offensive. Also, he will only cost the midlevel since his Bird rights were waived when he was traded.

If the Spurs were to use the exception on Scola they would have to consider trading him for Radmonovic and he would be a good fit in LA. ( to be a good low post offensive threat when Brand sits as they wanted Wilcox to be before trading him for Rad)

Otherwise any other changes would have to come through trades and the Spurs DO NOT have wanted commodities they'd part with save Barry [Meaning Rasho may be wanted, but not his contract by anyone else and there are many Obertos around.]
Old 05-31-06, 07:00 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamo123
Also, he will only cost the midlevel since his Bird rights were waived when he was traded.
A common misconception. A player's Bird rights are preserved in a trade. The Clippers will be able to match any offer.

Mike Wilks, we barely knew ye.
Old 05-31-06, 01:10 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
That is why I mentioned that we should see what he can do after another summer of working out to improve his athleticism.
Apparently, there's a report coming out in DraftExpress of the latest Jay Williams' workout. Word is, he showed terrific improvement -despite not being as explosive-, and he's ready to play again at the NBA level. Keep an eye on it.
fleetwood macbull (from a Bulls' board), on Andrés "Chapu" Nocioni: "Noc is like that guy from Monty Python. They can cut off his arms, his hands, his feet, then his legs, but he still comes rolling his torso at you like he's going to destroy you"

Last edited by mg06; 05-31-06 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-31-06, 01:36 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

lets pick up Claxton and NENE
sweetness
Old 06-02-06, 06:41 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Apparently, there's a report coming out in DraftExpress of the latest Jay Williams' workout. Word is, he showed terrific improvement -despite not being as explosive-, and he's ready to play again at the NBA level. Keep an eye on it.
And here it is DraftExpress' report on Jay Williams:

Jay Williams, 6-2, 24 years old, Point Guard, Duke

Eric Weiss
The real surprise of this workout to be sure, Jay Williams’ comeback has been rumored since the beginning of last season. Jay picked an excellent workout partner to spar with over the past month in picking Marcus Williams. The two players are so similar in size and skill set it just a great pairing for all that they are working on.

While Jay Williams’ game may at one point have consisted of raw speed and power, it now has taken on a much more cognitive tone. Williams is still a physical marvel as his body looks to be hewn out of stone. He uses his strength and physical presence on both sides of the ball and was extremely vocal as well.

Jay was perhaps the best overall shooter of the 3 players working out. While Marcus hit his shots equally well from any point on the court, Jay clearly had the cleaner and quicker shot. Jay had a little bit of difficulty hitting his step back jumper driving right to left, but these misses were shots that rimmed out and Williams displayed all the form and ball rotation any player could ask for. His drives were strong and he finished with a series of different in-between shots, including reverses, tear drops from the baseline, tear drops from the center, finger rolls, off glass, off the wrong foot, etc.

It makes sense that Williams would have developed his shot significantly over the past two seasons because it is probably the first thing he could do on a basketball court while recovering from injury. But, Williams certainly seized the opportunity and put the time into his shooting consistency and it showed. Williams started off by rimming out some of his three point attempts, but finished off with a strong 8 for 10 showing. His ball rotation, arc, and elevation were fundamentally flawless.

In the competitive play, Jay’s experience and physical maturity made him stand out. Jay put on a passing clinic with every type of quality assist in the book. He looped easy entry passes over the top of a fronting defender, he drove right or left and found the spot up shooter, he would bounce a pass to the cutter out of the corner of his eye, or he would cut the bounce pass with the quick no-look that would give his teammate a clear path for the dunk. Jay out-passed the more heralded Marcus Williams and really stole the show in the assist department, showing far more pure point guard tendencies than the Jay Williams of a few years ago who was recklessly diving toward the lane looking to score or simply looking to figure it out when he got there.

As far as motion was concerned, Jay looked controlled and confident in his movements. He used a good crouch and wide footing to keep a low center of gravity to accelerate out of his breaks, and handled the ball very well even when the defensive pressure was brought to bear. Jay looked as comfortable going left as he did right when attacking the basket or setting up teammates, and controlled the ball with either hand. His change of direction and footwork enabled him to get to spots on the court where he could make plays, and almost every possession he controlled resulted in a basket. Jay showed nice footwork and foot speed and kept himself moving much like Marcus Williams.

The most outstanding element of his showing was the vocal nature he displayed on almost every play. He would mix it up between playful banter and serious council. You could tell on the court that everything that transpired was important and worthy of detailed attention.

There were not a tremendous amount of negatives to his showing. He had a little difficulty finishing shots going left, but nothing evident from his movement or delivery indicated that this was some type of problem. Also, not getting a chance to look at his physicals, there is no way for us to determine how durable he is now or what possible issues may remain from the past. But NBA teams will certainly look into the possibility of all physical concerns and if he is cleared to play there’s not much to complain about. With 6 or 7 workouts already in the books, starting with the Toronto Raptors, it shouldn’t take long for Jay Williams to find a suitor for his talents.
Jonathan Givony
Just seeing Jay Williams walk onto the court was a surprise in itself (we had no prior warning), but then seeing the strides he has made in the past two years since his accident came as a downright shock.

From the moment the workout started and till the second it ended, there was absolutely no doubt how committed Jay Williams is to the task at hand. He wants to play in the NBA more than any player I have seen train in the past 3 years, and he goes at it with a determination that would impress even the most casual of fans. Williams executed every drill with tremendous precision and intensity, going the extra mile and doing more than he was told even when there was absolutely no need to.

In the shooting drills he showed the best form of the three, but was streaky in the way that he would heat up and then cool off abruptly. He shot 3/8 in the first straightaway NBA 3-point shooting contest, then 3/7, and then 8/10 His ball-handling skills are phenomenal as always, and his personality made this a light-hearted workout when appropriate, but still serious enough when it was time to truly get down to business.

In the 3 on 3 was when we really started getting feelings of déj* vu. Williams got his team off to a very quick start by absolutely dominating through his passing; showing outstanding court vision both on the drive and dish as well as from static positions. Bounce passes, lobs, or two-handed bullet passes threading the needle between multiple defenders for an easy basket; everything was made so simple for his teammates. He hasn’t lost anything in the ways of his point guard skills from his time at Duke, and to a certain extent appears to have greatly improved, and he did it all gracefully and effortlessly with no hesitation whatsoever. Readjusting himself to the speed of the NBA will be one of the first things he will need to do, but from what he showed us here, he is clearly on the right track.

Being so strong in his lower body with an extremely low center of gravity, he changes gears quickly and powerfully and gets to where he needs to on the floor with the greatest of ease. His first step and overall quickness looked absolutely fine, and this might have been the best sign to come out of this workout as far as his recovery process goes.

Further emphasizing the type of player he is at the moment was the activity level he showed. He was constantly getting in the passing lanes to come up with steals, going down to the low post for offensive rebounds, and just outsmarting and outplaying everyone else in stretches with his intelligence, experience and sheer tenacity. His 3-point shot warmed up quickly as the game progressed, particularly from the corners where he knocked down a number of 3-pointers from NBA range.

Where Williams really shined was with the leadership skills he’s always possessed throughout his career. He was constantly talking to his workout buddies and giving them little tidbits of advice, encouraging them, showing them how they might improve on certain things, and seemingly telling them to take every opportunity they have right now since you never know when that opportunity might be gone.

Williams looks the part on an NBA point guard and plays like one too. His full explosiveness might never be back, but he’s obviously coming to grips with that and is learning how to do the little things that most basketball players pick up later on in their career. His lateral quickness might be the thing that he needs to improve the most on at the moment, as players like Strawberry and Marcus Williams blew by him at times with their initial first step. With that said, there is little doubt from what we saw here that he can contribute somewhere next year in a backup role, and there is always the upside of him regaining most or all of the physical tools that made him such an incredible college player to start with. The passing, shooting and intangibles he brings to the table should allow him to start off in a 10-15 minute role, and anything beyond that is gravy both for him and the lucky NBA team that is able to sign him. What's strange is that at age 24, he is actually younger than a few players in this draft.
Old 06-02-06, 09:12 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

PG: I'd take a shot on williams-esp. if pop keeps refusing to play beno (why I'm really not sure). He would be an upgrade over nick the (notso)quick.

PF: Backup. If we bring in scola..disregard. Scola would be a perfect second squad scorer and might even be the high post player we have been looking for to pair with duncan since DROB retired.

If scola is traded or doesn't come-NENE is the only guy I could really see us bringing in. I like Radmonovic...but I just don't see pop going this direction.

My guess: Scola

SF: We NEED help in this area. Pop is married to horry and bowen, so don't expect much...even though both are getting old and will one day play their age.

SG: set

C: I say pryzbilla and then bring in javkotas. Get rid of Nazr-just let him go..and see what you can get for rasho. We still would upgrade. Problem is Pryzbilla is going to get paid. so worst case scenario is rasho, javkotas, and oberto-we still upgraded, esp. if we bring scola in (duncan and scola can be played together-it might work).
Old 06-02-06, 09:39 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Nene will get big bucks. esp if Denver can rid themselves of K-mart.

Expect a few teams with cap space to pursue Nene.

Same with Prizbilla.