News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-06, 02:46 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Should we trade Nazr to get back Malik?

Ok here's the deal. We know the following:

1. Nazr is a goner, and it's better if we can get something out of him.
2. Only teams way over the cap would want to give anything back to us through a trade for Nazr.
3. NY is such a team.
4. Malik is doing nothing there except grilling cheesesteaks.
5. Malik is still well loved by people here.
6. He's small and he's actually quicker than Nazr and Rasho.
7. Isiah is stupid

So, why not undo the trade we did 2 years ago? We got a title out of the trade, and now Pop has no interest in playing Nazr, and he might finally have forgiven Malik for whatever he's done. Of course if we can get a pick back that'd be super but even if it's just a 1-1 trade that's better than getting nothing back. With a small ball lineup of TD/Malik/Bowen/Manu/Parker we can actually run with the Mavs and still have offensive rebounding and energy (the only good things about Malik). So, what do you think?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-26-06, 02:50 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

no, we got rid of him because of financial concerns
Old 05-26-06, 02:53 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo
no, we got rid of him because of financial concerns
His contract length is 2-years shorter now. I also assume we'd get rid of Rasho and Barry to lower our total salary.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-26-06, 02:55 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Yes, getting older is definitely the answer.
Old 05-26-06, 02:56 PM
SpursReport Rookie

get rid of Rasho hahaha good luck
Old 05-26-06, 03:01 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Sounds good to me. We gained some inches with Nazr but gave up toughness in the paint. Malik would clear out the paint to allow Manu, Tony etc a clearer path to the basket. He also drew fouls from the other teams big men and was a decent free throw shooter. I know he was not perfect however he brought other tangibles to the team which we are now missing, and Timmy would be happy !
Old 05-26-06, 03:02 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginobili20
Yes, getting older is definitely the answer.
No one will trade us a young solid player for Nazr because they'll just sign him. It's about getting something back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by versace3177
get rid of Rasho hahaha good luck
If we cannot get rid of Rasho it'd be tough situation no matter what we do with Nazr. So I guess you can treat that as a 'pipe assumption' something illusional but feels good.
Old 05-26-06, 03:08 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Rose had a huge contract to absorb, Rasho is the same way now.
Old 05-26-06, 03:47 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I like reason number 7.
Old 05-26-06, 03:50 PM
SpursReport Team Member

HAHAHAHA

Mr. Stone Hands for Mr. Pump Fake.

Malik is washed up........he has not played decent since 03.

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.
Old 05-26-06, 03:51 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Call me sentimental, but I like the idea. So did Steve Kerr, as during game 7 he made mention of the fact of how Malik's unusual talent was being missed by the Spurs against the Mavs. I also totally agree that reason no. 7 is the most viable part of the suggestion. But not Nazr, but Rasho.
Old 05-26-06, 03:57 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson50

2. Only teams way over the cap would want to give anything back to us through a trade for Nazr.
3. NY is such a team.
7. Isiah is stupid

Well, since Nazr is unrestricted, he doesn't have to agree to any type of trade the Spurs set up and I doubt he wishes to return to NY. He's looking more towards Chicago which will have cap room. Nazr kinda controls most of the cards in this situation.
Old 05-26-06, 06:22 PM

Spurs need a versatile big man (who can run, rebound, and defend Dirk/Amare) and a young SG/SF, Malik had his fame in SA already.
Old 05-26-06, 06:34 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius
Spurs need a versatile big man (who can run, rebound, and defend Dirk/Amare) and a young SG/SF, Malik had his fame in SA already.
Fo Shizzle.
Old 05-26-06, 08:51 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius
If the spurs were to get a GUARANTEE that Malik would NEVER:

shoot
pass
dribble
or pump fake...then yes, i would like him back.

All I would want Malik to do is: rebound like a madman, throw his body for loose balls, and foul like Rick Mahorn. oh and if he should get his hands on the basketball he should GENTLY HAND it to a guard.
Old 05-26-06, 08:53 PM
SpursReport Team Member

please no...
Old 05-26-06, 09:10 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson50

3. NY is such a team.
7. Isiah is stupid

So, why not undo the trade we did 2 years ago? We got a title out of the trade, and now Pop has no interest in playing Nazr, and he might finally have forgiven Malik for whatever he's done. Of course if we can get a pick back that'd be super but even if it's just a 1-1 trade that's better than getting nothing back. With a small ball lineup of TD/Malik/Bowen/Manu/Parker we can actually run with the Mavs and still have offensive rebounding and energy (the only good things about Malik). So, what do you think?
Do we really want Malik back, or do we offer Rasho for one of either Crawford or Q Rich? The knicks need to clear some of their collection of swingmen. I might offer:

TO NY : Rasho (best center on their roster - Frye is a PF)

TO SA : Q Rich, Pick #29 or Pick #20...
Old 05-26-06, 09:20 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I love Malik, as I've made clear during my time on this forum. But it never seems to work out when teams bring players back for a second tour of duty (please don't all scream Michael Jordan at me - that was NOT a typical case.)
Old 05-26-06, 09:29 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Malik suck in NY and his stat declined. IF he can't even improve his stat in NY, he has no chance to become a decent role player. If you want to waste another 2 years for TD, Manu and TP and let Dallas win the title, one can go get Mailk back and see how suck he is against run and gun teams.

If I Need to choose, I would prefer Rasho. At least, he can crowd the lane and block.
Old 05-26-06, 09:36 PM
SpursReport Team Member

If we did trade Rasho for QRIch or Crawford..my question would be why? Why would we want another SG making $45-$50 mil..if anything trade him for Mo Taylor who is an expiring contract.
Old 05-26-06, 10:00 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SOTEX
If we did trade Rasho for QRIch or Crawford..my question would be why? Why would we want another SG making $45-$50 mil..if anything trade him for Mo Taylor who is an expiring contract.
Several reasons - 1) trading for Taylor would mean that we would have to add another player to make the salaries work out under the CBA 2) I suspect that Isiah has plans for that expiring contract, and Rasho ain't one of them. I don't think that such a deal would go through. 3) Taylor is useless on the floor these days, and he would be on our roster for next year. Whereas Q Rich, although overpaid, can play. He is a 3 pt threat, and can play small ball (if we are forced to do so again). - 6'6", 230 and more athletic than anyone on our roster expect Parker and Manu (and maybe Bowen). He would be a backup 2/3. He might also be moveable at a later date. 4) We also get a pick from my proposed trade - I am not sure that I would trade Rasho for Q Rich straight up.

I am not all that confident in this deal, but it would be an option for moving Rasho's contract. I posted a different idea in the Philly thread - http://www.spursreport.com/forums/sh...t=55531&page=2 ("No untouchables" on Sixers- including Allen Iverson and Chris Webber) post #37. I actually think I like that one better, but I am not sure if Philly goes for it.
Old 05-26-06, 10:16 PM
SpursReport Team Member

What I was saying was...there is no way the Spurs are going to take on QRich or Craws contract...absolutely no way they are going to overpay one of them to be a backup...I understand about the CBA & salaries, but I didn't understand why he would want those 2 players when we already have Manu, Finley & Barry, if he stays.

Instead of those 2 we might as well see if we can still pull the Barry for JRSmith & Macijaukas trade
Old 05-26-06, 10:27 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SOTEX
What I was saying was...there is no way the Spurs are going to take on QRich or Craws contract...absolutely no way they are going to overpay one of them to be a backup...I understand about the CBA & salaries, but I didn't understand why he would want those 2 players when we already have Manu, Finley & Barry, if he stays.

Instead of those 2 we might as well see if we can still pull the Barry for JRSmith & Macijaukas trade
I would suggest that Rasho's contract vs. production would likely be less onerous than Q-Rich's contract vs. production. It all depends on the type of ball we are playing. This season we had playing time for Bowen, Finley, Barry, and Manu at the Wing positions. Barry will be gone after next year, and Finley & Bruce's contracts end. We will need a wing player(s) at that point. Yes, we have to support Q-Rich as an extra wheel at wing for a year, but after that there will be enough playing time to go around, making his contract worth it. Rasho on the other hand, isn't giving us a lot (in terms of production or playing time), and will be on the books for 2 more years, rather than one (and currently, it looks like niether of those years will be productive).
Old 05-27-06, 12:11 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

The Knicks are a mess, so I really don't blame Malik for not doing anything there. I think he can still contribute, not in a big way but in ways that we actually need. Most importantly, to get something out of nothing.

For Amente's concern, fact #7 is key. It's totally possible that Isiah would offer a fat contract to him so he might actually be willing to do a sign-and-trade. This is also related to the trading Rasho for their young guards idea, since Isiah might want Rasho instead, that's definitely another viable topic, and I fully expect the Spurs to try that.
Old 05-27-06, 12:46 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

why? because malik doesnt do as many pump fakes in the lane as nazr. or nazr hands are stones and malik's fingers are butter.
Old 05-27-06, 05:25 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amente
Well, since Nazr is unrestricted, he doesn't have to agree to any type of trade the Spurs set up and I doubt he wishes to return to NY. He's looking more towards Chicago which will have cap room. Nazr kinda controls most of the cards in this situation.
Ahh.. Revenge will be in the air.
Old 05-27-06, 01:37 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amente
I think this would only apply to teams under the cap. If those teams balk (which I believe are basically Chicago, Atlanta or Charlotte), then Nazr would have to take the MLE. IF he wants more than the MLE, then he would have to hope for a sign & trade involving the Spurs. Right?