News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-06, 01:25 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Spurs Salaries For Next Several Years (Hoopshype.com)

Here's the Spurs Salary Structure for the next several years according to Hoopshype.com:

http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/san_antonio.htm
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-26-06, 01:46 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Yay! an overpaid Rasho Nesterovic on the roster.... can't get any sweeter than that.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-26-06, 01:46 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Rasho's contract really sucks. He's barely worth the minimum.
Old 05-26-06, 01:52 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

We have 10 players on contract.
Old 05-26-06, 02:00 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Let's see...

Trade Rasho (who'd want to get that monster contract?)
getting rid of Van Exel
trade Barry (sorry Bones )
MAYBE resign Nazr
Old 05-26-06, 02:27 AM
SpursReport Rookie

take a look at new yorks salaries
http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/new_york.htm
Old 05-26-06, 02:29 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumby96
take a look at new yorks salaries
http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/new_york.htm
I know. Talk about cap hell.
Old 05-26-06, 02:33 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Thats all Bruce gets?
Old 05-26-06, 02:48 AM
SpursReport Team Member

wow, barry's contract is almost as bad as rasho's
Old 05-26-06, 03:52 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Honestly, I can't say we are in too bad of shape. Every team wants to find the perfect plan to winning an NBA Championship. For many teams, the answer is adding high dollar talent, rather than the right mix of players. The Spurs have been fortunate in that they have probably gotten as close to finding that "perfect plan" than any other team in the league. They haven't had to spend as dramatically on their roster as others have, and have yet been able to compete for a championship year after year.

The truth is, no one is going to have the perfect salaried roster. Every team includes at least one overpaid NBA player - it isn't anything new. There are situations around the league (New York, Philladelphia, Indiana, Houston) that are in far worse shape that San Antonio is supposedly in.

If the Nesterovic contract is the worst one on our books, we should consider ourselves lucky. There are probably 12-15 other teams with a contract as big or bigger than his that are just as difficult to move.

We are lucky to have front office people that spend the teams money as wisely as they possibly can, and haven't hamstrung our cap situation for a decade (as several NBA teams have done without winning 3 NBA Championships). If you look at the cap numbers from other teams, you realize how incredibly fortunate we've been to have people like RC Buford and Gregg Popovich run this organization.

Our three highest paid players are in fact, the three best players on the team and all are All Star caliber players. All three have contributed to at least 2 NBA Championship teams. There aren't many teams that can say that. In fact, we're the only one.

There are 8 teams this season that had total salaries that were higher than San Antonio ($63.9 Million). Among those 8 teams, only Dallas ($96.6 Million) is still playing.

To illustrate how careful this organization has been, compare the Spurs total to the 15th highest salaried team, Sacramento ($58.7 Million). The two teams are only $5 Million apart! That's probably one players salary away from being a middle of the pack team (in terms of team salary) and still winning NBA Championships. I'm pretty happy with that situation.

No team has the perfect cap plan and no team is immune from making mistakes in free agency. The San Antonio Spurs have drafted well and drafted poorly in recent years, they've served well in FA and made some questionable decisions as well. However, for all their mistakes - they're decisions have also paid huge dividends.

We have 3 NBA Championship banners as proof of that.

Old 05-26-06, 05:39 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

The way I see it, Rasho's deal is like an insurance policy that we won't get caught without a real big man (due to injury or trade scenarios) during these Duncan years.

You don't need insurance until you really need it. The Spurs front office is smart enough to realize this.

Times when Duncan is out of the lineup and we don't have Nazr, we will need Rasho. He's a known commodity. We can count on him.

If the right trade scenario comes around maybe he's gone, but until then he's a part of, in my view, a well managed plan.
Old 05-26-06, 06:15 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Rasho's contract was fine in an era where every team trying to win a championship needed pieces to throw at Shaq. That era is over. Expect future big slow centers to have a much more limited market.

But at least Rasho is an actual player i.e. he's got skills and he can still clog the lane well. I think he's got more trade value than most people think. And if we can't trade him, he can still contribute against most teams in the league.

The standouts in terms of value-for-money are obviously Bruce and Horry. Those two guys will be hard to replace not only because they are such key pieces, but also because they cost so little.

We are also getting ok value for the money we are throwing at our top 3 players (around $35m), but because of the cycles of contracts, other elite teams are doing better in this front.

Phoenix will start paying full for their Big 3 - $37.5m on Marion, Nash and Amare.
Dallas will live off Josh Howard's ridiculous $1.5m salary for one more season.
Detroit will have to start paying Prince and Ben big money, but Chauncey will still earn only $6m.
Miami will get Wade for $4m for one more year, but all their other key guys are either retiring (Mourning, Payton) or overpaid.
Old 05-26-06, 07:14 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

i was actually surprised by tp's salary the 1st time i looked up the team payroll. i was pretty disappointed in tony for not taking the first offer managemetn gave him, cuz i figured manu was worh more money at the time of signing. good news though is that he's 24 w/ room for improvement, but the best part is that he's not satisfied like a lot of ppl are after signing their deals and i'm sure he'll be able to add a consistent jumper eventually (hopefully sooner rather than later). my favorite salary though is finley's - not on our payroll, though, but on dallas'! he makes more money than timmy this year from dallas. and $18.5 in his final year... wow mark cuban
Old 05-26-06, 08:33 AM
SpursReport Team Member

http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/dallas.htm The funniest part of this is the very first player on this page.

Michael Finley- $15,937,500

Combine his mavs salary, 15,937,500, with the 2,675,000 paid by the spurs and you get 18,612,500...... he made more than TD this year ! He had the 4th highest salary in the nba..... poor mavs
Old 05-26-06, 09:40 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

free agents that come to mind:
radmonivich - good shooter, tall, athletic, no D
lindsey hunter - lotsa D, shoots 3's, very old
tony delk - scorer, shorter (6'2), strong
flip murray - scorer, no D
jason terry - good scorer, good defender, might want more money

Dave McNulla
Spurs Fan

Tweet Me
Old 05-26-06, 10:32 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickowskay
The way I see it, Rasho's deal is like an insurance policy that we won't get caught without a real big man (due to injury or trade scenarios) during these Duncan years.

You don't need insurance until you really need it. The Spurs front office is smart enough to realize this.

Times when Duncan is out of the lineup and we don't have Nazr, we will need Rasho. He's a known commodity. We can count on him.

If the right trade scenario comes around maybe he's gone, but until then he's a part of, in my view, a well managed plan.
Exactly; Can't really put a price on the vaule of a veteran 7 footer with half way decent skills!
Old 05-26-06, 10:35 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnwhuxley
Detroit will have to start paying Prince and Ben big money, but Chauncey will still earn only $6m.
Prince signed his new deal already: 5-year, $48M
With what Ben's contract will be, the Pistons are pretty much right where the Spurs are (give or take a mill or two) in terms of total team salary. But there are some things that could raise it like re-signing Hunter (its unclear if he wants to play another year) and I think there's a team option on Delk's contract.
Old 05-26-06, 10:44 AM
SpursReport Rookie

There are some good points in this thread. Especially about Rasho. I like Rasho. Is he overpaid. Probably. But at this point no sense in sending him off unless a great deal comes up. Otherwise, keep him on the roster.

Last edited by ronald_perez; 05-26-06 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-26-06, 10:46 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Spurs should shop Barry for an athletic swingman.

Sign Scola to a deal.

Try and get Speedy back. (Sign and trade w/ Nazr?)

All that can only happen in a perfect world.
Old 05-26-06, 03:02 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScolaOnTheWay
Rasho's contract really sucks. He's barely worth the minimum.

Did you all check out Dampiers contract? Makes Rasho's look like an absolute steal -
Old 05-26-06, 03:25 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharph20
http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/dallas.htm The funniest part of this is the very first player on this page.

Michael Finley- $15,937,500

Combine his mavs salary, 15,937,500, with the 2,675,000 paid by the spurs and you get 18,612,500...... he made more than TD this year ! He had the 4th highest salary in the nba..... poor mavs
Uh, don't think Cuban will care too much if he wins a title.
Old 05-26-06, 03:36 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I think he would have had to pay twice that $15 million to have finley on the roster had he kept him.
Old 05-26-06, 03:57 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadermaul
Spurs should shop Barry for an athletic swingman.

Sign Scola to a deal.

Try and get Speedy back. (Sign and trade w/ Nazr?)

All that can only happen in a perfect world.
thats pretty much how I look at it. Rasho is needed on this team.
Old 05-26-06, 07:04 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool
Prince signed his new deal already: 5-year, $48M
I know. It starts next season, so that adds around 8m or so to the 06/07 salary.

Quote:
With what Ben's contract will be, the Pistons are pretty much right where the Spurs are (give or take a mill or two) in terms of total team salary. But there are some things that could raise it like re-signing Hunter (its unclear if he wants to play another year) and I think there's a team option on Delk's contract.
Correct. Like I said, they will have one more year of Chauncey at $6m. The question mark would be how much they want to pay for Ben and for how many years. Is he worth max dollars? Will the market support him getting max dollars?