News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-06, 05:04 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

"No untouchables" on Sixers- including Allen Iverson and Chris Webber

Sixers GM Billy King reiterated an earlier statement that there were no untouchables on his team, one that includes stars Allen Iverson and Chris Webber, but qualified it by saying that it is "a responsibility of mine to make sure we do what's right for the franchise." He said the Sixers have had "numerous conversations with different teams, just trying to figure out if there's something we can do." He said it will be easier to talk with other teams now that the draft order has been finalized.

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/14651239.htm
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-25-06, 08:12 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Well obviously, the knicks will try to sign both of them.

Once upon a time, giants ruled the earth....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-25-06, 08:16 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I've said this before and I'll say it again now...I'd trade Tony Parker for AI in a second.
Old 05-25-06, 09:03 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

no way

people need to put down the pipes if they think SA is going after AI this offseason anyway. The guy makes Tim Duncan money
Old 05-25-06, 09:31 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAScrub
I've said this before and I'll say it again now...I'd trade Tony Parker for AI in a second.
I'm happy that you aren't our GM
Old 05-25-06, 09:39 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazil_spursfan
I'm happy that you aren't our GM

...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Old 05-25-06, 09:39 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

spurs need rebounding not a new point guard
Old 05-25-06, 11:04 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:

...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
I'm joking SAScrub
Old 05-25-06, 11:11 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

I love AI but he totally doesn't fit in to what we are trying to do here.

You think he could take nine to twelve shots a game?
Old 05-25-06, 12:41 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
I love AI but he totally doesn't fit in to what we are trying to do here.

You think he could take nine to twelve shots a game?
Took the words right out of my mouth, he wont fit in to the Spurs system at all...Unless he gets ultra motivated to bring that 33 point per game average down to about 17-18 ppg...
Old 05-25-06, 01:22 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I think the Iverson you would see here in SA would be more of the Iverson you saw in the Olympics. The guy is selfish in Philly because he has no one playing with him that he can trust. He hasn't had a coach he's respected since Larry Brown (when he led the team to the Finals and was an MVP). Put him on the floor with Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili, Bruce Bowen, Micheal Finley, and Robert Horry and he has no choice but to trust that group of players. Make Pop his head coach instead of Mo Cheeks, Jim O'Brien, and Randy Ayers and he will have no choice but to play the right way. Combine that with the passion he brings to the floor and his unsatisfied desire to win a championship, and I find it hard to argue that he would be a bad fit for this team.
Old 05-25-06, 01:26 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

AI is a great player but I dont want Parker (and others because it would take more than Just Parker) moved for him and him coming to the Spurs is 100% unrealistic. his contract is a monster

the Spurs dont need to move their 24 year old All-star. There issues to work on have nothing to do with needing a new starting point guard
Old 05-25-06, 01:30 PM
SpursReport Team Member

if we were gonna get anyone from the sixers, i'd say MAYBE steven hunter or andre iguodala, that's it.
Old 05-25-06, 01:30 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzG
AI is a great player but I dont want Parker (and others because it would take more than Just Parker) moved for him and him coming to the Spurs is 100% unrealistic. his contract is a monster

the Spurs dont need to move their 24 year old All-star. There issues to work on have nothing to do with needing a new starting point guard
Parker, Barry, and Scola's rights maybe?

I agree, and would be perfectly fine with Tony Parker as our point guard for the next 6 years. But when you look at the direction of the league, and the predominant style of play...the grind it out defensive stuggles (SA and DET) are going to be less and less successful, and you are going to be forced to field a team that can put a ton of points on the board.

I also doubt that this is a likely scenario, but if it presented itself I would not blame the Spurs for expressing interest.
Old 05-25-06, 08:26 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
I said this in another forum yesterday and people called it stupid. Bring AI's 4th Qtr clutchness and his hunger for a ring, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Pop would lay down the law before the deal anyway.
Old 05-25-06, 08:29 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

How could you afford him? You'd have to trade Manu & Tony, no?
Old 05-25-06, 08:41 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

screw AI or Weber

I want the other AI! Andre Igudou (or however you spell it)
Old 05-25-06, 09:06 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Is that you Isiah??
Old 05-25-06, 09:08 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I wish Dalembert wasn't so ridiculously overpaid. He could fit in well here. Other than him and Igoudala, who the Sixers probably won't move because he's the one guy on that team truly worth what he's making, there isn't much on that roster to like. Trying to get AI here is pretty much impossible because of all the salaries the Spurs would have to kick in to make a trade work, so he doesn't count.
Old 05-25-06, 09:10 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Enough of this AI crap. His body is breaking down. You don't want to be the last team to take him before his decline. This guy drives to the hole with no muscle every single game. At his age it's stupid to even gamble for 1 year, let alone giving up our future with TP.
Old 05-25-06, 09:13 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

its tough when Rob50 and I agree
Old 05-25-06, 09:18 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Spurs need rebounding, not ball domination.
Then chances are good that YOU ALMOST FREAKING KILLED ME IN THE PARKING LOT
Old 05-25-06, 09:20 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

We also don't need to commit $60 million to a 31 year old who gets hurt as often as he does.

I love watching AI play.......on someone else's team.
Old 05-25-06, 09:23 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
its tough when Rob50 and I agree
Old 05-25-06, 09:43 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson50
Enough of this AI crap. His body is breaking down. You don't want to be the last team to take him before his decline. This guy drives to the hole with no muscle every single game. At his age it's stupid to even gamble for 1 year, let alone giving up our future with TP.
Does anyone have Tony's career high in assist? For an aging 31 year old, AI averaged 33 and 7 last year. Tony couldn't get 7 assist if the game had 5 qtrs. If he ain't scoring, he ain't helping because he does not have a lot of assist per game.
Old 05-25-06, 09:47 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

his career high is like 12 or 13 assists or something.

But I do think you harp on something. That sometimes if the ball isn't going in, he doesn't create opportunities sometimes for other people like AJ used to do or what some other playmakers do.

TP is most effective when he's scoring. Which is why I had high hopes for Beno last year because he was more of a point guard who'd create and setup opportunities for players to score.

not saying that either is better for the spurs.
Old 05-25-06, 09:49 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Well Parker Avg almost 6 asst a game this season so its not like he sucked in that area. it got him to being an All Star along with his almost 19 points a game in the regular season

his career high in Assts is 14 and he had a game last season with 13

Quote:
Tony couldn't get 7 assist if the game had 5 qtrs.
nonsense. This parker bashing is just stupid
Old 05-25-06, 09:53 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by td21mvp
Does anyone have Tony's career high in assist? For an aging 31 year old, AI averaged 33 and 7 last year. Tony couldn't get 7 assist if the game had 5 qtrs. If he ain't scoring, he ain't helping because he does not have a lot of assist per game.
AI dominates the ball much more than TP.
Old 05-25-06, 11:20 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLadiesMike
AI dominates the ball much more than TP.
I'll change that......AI dominates much more than TP.
Tony is the point guard. He has the rock in his hands more than anyone during in the game. It is his job to distribute. I'm not knocking Tony. I just have yet to see him show up when it counts.

Quote:
nonsense. This parker bashing is just stupid
Why is discussing TP's ability bashing? So unless I say he is the best point guard for this team, I am bashing him? THAT'S nonsense. Hey, Shaq is better than Rasho! Am I now bashing Rasho?
Old 05-26-06, 07:15 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

No...saying "Tony couldn't get 7 assist if the game had 5 qtrs." is just a stupid comment

or saying he has never shown up when it counts is just senseless bashing when its not true. Hell just looking at a recent example when he took over game 6 against the Kings in the second half on the way to his career high in points to help lead SA to a dominating close out win. He hit some big shots in the Dallas series too. Its not like he played poorly over the course of the whole playoffs. He had some key shots in the playoffs last year too. Some people seem to only remember his mistakes and not all the things he does well or act like he never does anything in the playoffs.

The Spurs ask parker to be an agressive..scoring type PG. He isnt going to regularly have high asst games when Pop is asking him to shoot 20+ times a game and look to score

The Spurs dont need to replace their All Star point guard.
Old 05-26-06, 07:36 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
I think the Iverson you would see here in SA would be more of the Iverson you saw in the Olympics.
I thought you were making a case for Iverson, not against him.

Quote:
The Spurs ask parker to be an agressive..scoring type PG. He isnt going to regularly have high asst games when Pop is asking him to shoot 20+ times a game and look to score
Tony isn't going to get high assist numbers no matter what Pop asks him, because that's not his nature. Pop realizes this, and since he's not stupid, he might as well ask Tony to focus on what he actually can do. Therefore, I'd say that what Pop asks of Tony has at least every bit as much to do with who Tony is, as what Tony is has to do with what Pop asks of him.
fleetwood macbull (from a Bulls' board), on Andrés "Chapu" Nocioni: "Noc is like that guy from Monty Python. They can cut off his arms, his hands, his feet, then his legs, but he still comes rolling his torso at you like he's going to destroy you"
Old 05-26-06, 08:16 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

isn't indiana loooking to dump SJ now?
Old 05-26-06, 10:34 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo
isn't indiana loooking to dump SJ now?
Actually, I'd be surprised. They are talking about trying to keep their team together as much as possible.
Old 05-26-06, 02:17 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmiltsx
if we were gonna get anyone from the sixers, i'd say MAYBE steven hunter or andre iguodala, that's it.
I would take Samuel Dalembert, he is very atlhetic and a young very young player with upside, thats someone else I would take from that team.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 05-26-06, 02:18 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

thought I had heard other wise on one of those articles interviewing Larry Bird.
Old 05-26-06, 08:04 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmiltsx
Just for Entertainments sake -

To Philadelphia : Rasho

To SA: Steven Hunter, Kevin Ollie, Future 2nd round pick

I think SA would do that - Hunter becomes our backup C (at about 1/2 the cost of Rasho), and Ollie the 3ed PG. Ollie's contract is only 2 more years - shorter than Rasho's. Also, I wanted Hunter last year instead of Oberto. I think he might be a late bloomer a la Gadzuric/Pryzbilla mode, and he is quite mobile, although not a strong in the post.