News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-06, 01:30 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Tony Parker may not be untouchable anymore...

Very few players totally untouchable:

Tim Duncan--Untouchable

Manu--Untouchable

Everybody else--including Parker--up for grabs.

Food for thought:

If we got a significant player in exchange for Tony--and was able to sign Speedy Claxton--it might work.

Tony has great stats throughout the regular season.

Again--he was disappointing in the play-offs. Remeber how he disappeared against Jason Kidd--thank God we had Claxton to bail him out.

I'm just saying this to provoke argument--could you make the Spurs stronger overall as a team by allowing Speedy to run the first team with Beno as his back up if we got a significant player(s) for a package of players which included Tony Parker.

Your thoughts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-25-06, 01:33 AM
Dr. Doom!!!

You are crazy....... 24 years old, an all star, played pretty good throughout the offs, can work on his jumper and leadership skills more and do to his age he can become what we want him to be here.... My thoughts are NILL on this, NONE.

Dissapointing in the playoffs? I can remember some BIG games from him, and 20.2 or so during the Mavs series, if you want a GOAT look no further than the bench but NOT TONY. Tony did pretty good IMO. BTW SPEEDY WOULD BE NICE, after Tony that is, as a backup not the future.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-25-06, 01:38 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Tony did ok if based on All Star standards and he should not be the one to blame. Nevertheless, he still disappears in the clutch moment.

No one is untouchable except TD. If you can get Kobe/LBJ for Manu or TP, you do it with a heartbeat.
Old 05-25-06, 01:46 AM
SpursReport Rookie

How about Tony for AI? Does anyone know if this works? or maybe we have to throw in another player or two. Just a thought. Tim only has a few prime years left.
Old 05-25-06, 01:47 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Except we won't be getting Bryant or James for Manu or Tony because SURPRISE those guys are untouchables like Tim. Manu or Tony won't be traded because there is not a realistic deal good enough to acquire those players from us.

Tony for Iverson is ridiculous.
Old 05-25-06, 01:50 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Tony averaged 20 ppg in the playoffs. He was hurt throughout the whole Mavs series and toughed out every game (his field goal percentage shows he didn't have much lift after hurting his thighs/groin). In game 7, he had like 24 points, 5 assists and one turnover.

Spurs fans are funny.
Old 05-25-06, 01:52 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Deity

Oh... Okay. If you say so....
Old 05-25-06, 01:54 AM
SpursReport Rookie

The spurs were robbed by 2 horrific calls in games 3 and 4, otherwise we would have been up 3-1 rather than down 3-1 in which case we'd still be playing.

Sign Scola and bring in Claxton via sign and trade and we'll be set to go.
Old 05-25-06, 01:55 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Yea, I am sure you didn't want to provoke an argument.

Our starting 4 are untouchable (Tim, Tony, Manu and Bruce). Pop said that their first priority was a backup guard. Whether it is Beno or someone else depends on their relationship and issues that they need to resolve.
Old 05-25-06, 01:56 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Yeah they aren't desparate for a championship. It doesn't make sense to acquire 31 year old Iverson to bring in maybe what? one title as opposed to Tony who an integral part of the DYNASTY this team is trying to accomplish. C'mon now I'm an AI fan but he's not needed here to replace are already sucessful point guard.
Old 05-25-06, 01:57 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARIO

Spurs fans are funny.
You're polite.

This idea is just stupid. There's no point guard in this league that we can exchange for that will improve us. It's one thing to try to stimulate conversation but it's another thing when you're trying to talk about mission impossible. Now if you can at least give us 1 trade proposal that has a remote chance of working, then we can talk, otherwise this thread is just
Old 05-25-06, 02:17 AM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Deity
Except we won't be getting Bryant or James for Manu or Tony because SURPRISE those guys are untouchables like Tim. Manu or Tony won't be traded because there is not a realistic deal good enough to acquire those players from us.

LOL for them it is, Iverson is top 10 in the game easily, top 5 to some..... They would not do it anyways, and it is not rediculous from our standpoint. We would not get equal value for Tony, thats why I say HELL NO, but we will not get elite either. Iverson and Tim would win it this year, Iverson is clutch too and does not dissapear in games all the time when we need them at the end of things. Tony needs to work on his jumpshot some, his leadership and HEART IN HUGE GAMES, so far they have not been there late in big series and thats why he is benched late in them. I think though at 24 he has a HUGE UPSIDE, he was an all star, gets in the lane at will and is improving his jumper, he is a keeper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel2005
The spurs were robbed by 2 horrific calls in games 3 and 4, otherwise we would have been up 3-1 rather than down 3-1 in which case we'd still be playing.

Sign Scola and bring in Claxton via sign and trade and we'll be set to go.
NOW I LOVE THAT, now we are talking on that end of things, nothing else is possible IMO including trading Tony which would be a joke because we would not get equal value for him and his upside is just crazy as hell long term. Tony will be that man, might not be yet, but he has helped us in some games in the offs and has two titles here as a starter. He does dissapear and cringe up in the clutch alot of times, but we have TD and Manu for that so if he can do his job and come up big here and there and improve on his jumper and leadership skills WE ARE SET. Tony is a keeper, the Kid is only 24 and WILL BE CRAZY in a year or two....... Just you watch.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 05-25-06, 02:26 AM
SpursReport Rookie

[quote=Rzarector7]LOL for them it is, Iverson is top 10 in the game easily, top 5 to some..... They would not do it anyways, and it is not rediculous from our standpoint. We would not get equal value for Tony, thats why I say HELL NO, but we will not get elite either. Iverson and Tim would win it this year, Iverson is clutch too and does not dissapear in games all the time when we need them at the end of things. Tony needs to work on his jumpshot some, his leadership and HEART IN HUGE GAMES, so far they have not been there late in big series and thats why he is benched late in them. I think though at 24 he has a HUGE UPSIDE, he was an all star, gets in the lane at will and is improving his jumper, he is a keeper.

QUOTE]

Plus he averages more assists than Tony.
Old 05-25-06, 02:33 AM
Dr. Doom!!!

[quote=td21mvp]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzarector7
LOL for them it is, Iverson is top 10 in the game easily, top 5 to some..... They would not do it anyways, and it is not rediculous from our standpoint. We would not get equal value for Tony, thats why I say HELL NO, but we will not get elite either. Iverson and Tim would win it this year, Iverson is clutch too and does not dissapear in games all the time when we need them at the end of things. Tony needs to work on his jumpshot some, his leadership and HEART IN HUGE GAMES, so far they have not been there late in big series and thats why he is benched late in them. I think though at 24 he has a HUGE UPSIDE, he was an all star, gets in the lane at will and is improving his jumper, he is a keeper.

QUOTE]

Plus he averages more assists than Tony.
Ivy is elite and nobody would trade him for Tony man, but he is 31 now so thats the only thing. If he was 28 or so damn who would not do that? I mean how much does his body have left though as tough as he is? I know he is easily a better player and would help more NOW and in the next year or so, but Tony is the future IMO!!!! Tony will be that man one day here, and help this team get another title or so. I know though, Ivy is better, and nobody would trade Ivy for Tony now, thats just crazy to think of, it would strip our team to get him now at the least.
Old 05-25-06, 02:33 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

I hoped to see RichB post already but I guess I will.

Tony Parker led us to our best regular season record ever. He set and re-set career highs for scoring in the regular season and playoffs. He was our most consistent player all season. He is young, has a reasonable contract and is still showing signs of improvement.

In honor of the late Senator Bentsen, I know Speedy Claxton. Speedy Claxton has played on a couple teams of mine. Speedy Claxton is no Tony Parker.
Old 05-25-06, 02:36 AM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLadiesMike
I hoped to see RichB post already but I guess I will.

Tony Parker led us to our best regular season record ever. He set and re-set career highs for scoring in the regular season and playoffs. He was our most consistent player all season. He is young, has a reasonable contract and is still showing signs of improvement.

In honor of the late Senator Bentsen, I know Speedy Claxton. Speedy Claxton has played on a couple teams of mine. Speedy Claxton is no Tony Parker.
Speedy is a good solid PG, but Tony is an all star and 24 and going to be THAT MAN one day soon, he is gonna be elite, mark that DOWN. I agree on most of what you said here, very good post.

Tony is so young with so much upside, if he develops the improving Jumper, leadership skills and gets the mentals it's a wrap, he is too fast and too good to even think of stopping then.
Old 05-25-06, 02:45 AM
SpursReport Team Member

OK I know we just lost but this has got to be one of the dumbest ideas yet. Trade away one of the youngest all stars there is. Player who has improved within Pops game plan each year. Give up on a player after he bailed out the whole team after Manu and TD were imjured. Our leading scorer. Stupid just plain stupid.
Old 05-25-06, 02:52 AM
SpursReport Rookie

tim, manu, tony and bruce are untouchable.. i'm sure those four will retire as spurs..
Old 05-25-06, 03:10 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem
OK I know we just lost but this has got to be one of the dumbest ideas yet. Trade away one of the youngest all stars there is. Player who has improved within Pops game plan each year. Give up on a player after he bailed out the whole team after Manu and TD were imjured. Our leading scorer. Stupid just plain stupid.
Please! It's not stupid. I just see a trend every year with Tony: Great regular season....great start to playoffs series/games......4 qtr...where's Tony?. Believe me, I realize Tony's talent, and upside, but I don't like the fact that he disappears every playoffs. And don't give me his average for the playoffs, I need it when it counts.
Old 05-25-06, 03:27 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Some people here are just amazing...
Old 05-25-06, 03:33 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by td21mvp
Please! It's not stupid. I just see a trend every year with Tony: Great regular season....great start to playoffs series/games......4 qtr...where's Tony?. Believe me, I realize Tony's talent, and upside, but I don't like the fact that he disappears every playoffs. And don't give me his average for the playoffs, I need it when it counts.
tony takes less shots in the fourth quarter because pop is calling more plays for tim and manu..
Old 05-25-06, 03:55 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Someone must have started this thread after hearing Don Harris talking about this very subject- Saying the Spurs would trade Parker for Chris Bosh this summer.
Old 05-25-06, 04:10 AM
FrenchConnection

I would love to trade a 24 year old 50% shooting PG for a 31 year old 40% shooting PG, that would be great.
Old 05-25-06, 04:12 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Look, you guys that are getting all upset need to calm down, darn it.

Do I think we trade Tony?

No.

But all I am asking is whether there may be a player or a combination of players which theoritically would make the Spurs stronger as a team if we were to just consider a trade.

Tell you one thing: put Devin Harris next to Tim Duncan and Manu G and Bowen and I bet that kid would become an All-Star too.

This thread was started to provoke debate--thats all. Of course the odds of this ever occurring would be pretty remote.

As for the injuries--Parker said he felt better after he got rest following game 1 against the Mavs and I don't think that Pop or Tony ever used that excuse against the Mavs.
Old 05-25-06, 04:25 AM
SpursReport Team Member

No, they didn't use it as an excuse but he injured his groin in Game 3 I believe and was fitted for a pad, etc after that. He got thigh injuries in Game 6 vs Kings and then a worse one on the other leg in Game 1 against the Mavs. Then the groin injury after that.

No excuses, just reality.

You say he was disappointing, but he scored 20 ppg and had a nice game 7 so he didn't fade.
Old 05-25-06, 04:37 AM
FrenchConnection

The Spurs don't need to replace their starting PG, they need a big athletic 3 or 4 and a backup PG.
Old 05-25-06, 05:49 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shot Bud
Tell you one thing: put Devin Harris next to Tim Duncan and Manu G and Bowen and I bet that kid would become an All-Star too.
seriously?
Old 05-25-06, 07:10 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Please... stop with this crap.... he's 23 years old and already is a very good point guard
Old 05-25-06, 07:21 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Send him to Indy for JO!
Old 05-25-06, 08:38 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

This is just freakin stupid

Trade away a 24 year old All star that is one of the better point guards in the league?

Sometimes Spurs fans just seem to have no clue. there is only a handful of pointguards that it would even make sense to look at and none of them are avail. Unless you are trading Parker for another STAR top NBA point guard thats better than him it makes no sense...and that just isnt going to happen

the Spurs are lucky to have Parker. Too bad some fans done realize it

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurssheriff
Someone must have started this thread after hearing Don Harris talking about this very subject- Saying the Spurs would trade Parker for Chris Bosh this summer.
I didnt hear Harris say that...but I doubt he said the Spurs WOULD trade Parker. Don Harris doesnt like Parker and thats well know. The guy is an idiot
Old 05-25-06, 08:39 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

If you some how could get Iverson for TP and get a decent PG to run our team and not give up Manu and TD in that trade I would be all for it.
Brooklyn's #1 Spurs fan!!!
Old 05-25-06, 08:39 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Just to play devil's advocate, "How long would it take X to learn Pop's system and the defensive set-ups?"
Old 05-25-06, 08:46 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

AI isnt coming to the Spurs. KG isnt coming to the Spurs. people need to give up on SA going for another superstar this offseason. They dont need one either

Keep the core together and add to that

Parker wasnt perfect in the playoffs but to call him a disapointment is a joke too. The guy avg 21 points a game and came up huge in several games. How fast people forget Tony taking over game 6 against Sac to close out that series. or some of the huge games he put up against Dallas

not to mention the guy playing with multiple injury issues that would have prob had him sitting out in the regular season. He didnt complain about it or even make it an issue. He just played.

He isnt going to get moved
Old 05-25-06, 08:53 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzG
AI isnt coming to the Spurs. KG isnt coming to the Spurs. people need to give up on SA going for another superstar this offseason. They dont need one either

Keep the core together and add to that

Parker wasnt perfect in the playoffs but to call him a disapointment is a joke too. The guy avg 21 points a game and came up huge in several games. How fast people forget Tony taking over game 6 against Sac to close out that series. or some of the huge games he put up against Dallas

not to mention the guy playing with multiple injury issues that would have prob had him sitting out in the regular season. He didnt complain about it or even make it an issue. He just played.
He isnt going to get moved
This is a point that needs to be emphasized. Tony just did not have that burst, it was pretty evident to me he was hurting.
Old 05-25-06, 09:01 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

The only thing that makes a player untouchable is the absence of a trade scenario that would make the team better. With Tim Duncan there is no way to trade him and get better, so he's untouchable, but he's the only one on this team who truly is. That's not to say the Spurs are going to be shopping everyone else, but if Danny Ferry gets wasted one night and calls up offering Lebron for Tony the response from the Spurs IS NOT going to be "sorry, but Tony's untouchable".
Old 05-25-06, 09:01 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Another thing some are forgetting is AI is making Duncan type money...NOT Parker type money. We would have to give up MUCH more than Tony just for it to work.....it won't happen. However, living here in Phili and hearing what is going on with the organization.....if it was a 1:1 salary match (which it is not) I'm sure the Sixers would probably do it.

I agree as I said before, Tony is NOT untouchable, but it would have to be a significant trade that the Spurs FO thought heavily benefited them to even consider it....which IMO is HIGHLY unlikely to happen.
Old 05-25-06, 09:15 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by td21mvp
How about Tony for AI? Does anyone know if this works? or maybe we have to throw in another player or two. Just a thought. Tim only has a few prime years left.
Are you on drugs? If not, maybe you need to be! Tony stays!
Old 05-25-06, 09:21 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazil_spursfan
Please... stop with this crap.... he's 23 years old and already is a very good point guard
Tony is an exceptional driving 2 guard as evidenced by the 21 points per game he put up in the playoffs. But he is a mediocre point guard- against Dallas he had only 3.1 assists to 3.14 turnovers, an unacceptable ratio. And despite his shooting dropping from the extraordinary 55% he achieved in the regular season to 42%, against Dallas he went from his normal regular season 14 shots per game to 18.
Old 05-25-06, 09:24 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by To be named later
Tony for an aging AI? The "end of his career, body breaking down" AI?
No way. Put down the crack pipe.
Wasn't Tony's 24-year old body also breaking down in the Dallas series? Isn't that the excuse I've read for him in this thread?

I just think having the ball in Allen Iverson's hands at the end of a close playoff game is a lot more comforting than having the ball in Tony's hands.

Also, AI's broken down body averaged 33 ppg in 72 games last season.
Old 05-25-06, 09:32 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Wow...no way you trade Tony. You trade Nazi for sure and get some of your other picks in here (Scola, etc.). Tony had an outstanding of a year and with the type of contract he has, I think he is a bargin. His shooting and confidence is continuing to improve. We really had a good year, bummer we are out of the playoffs, but we had a really good year so I don't see the need for drastic changes.
Old 05-25-06, 09:36 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by To be named later
I am amazed Iverson is still in the league, given the abuse his body has endured.

Regardless, he is on the tail end of his career.

Having the ball in AI's hands at the end of a game might be better than having the ball in Parkers hands, but one thing for sure is it won't be in Duncan or Manu's hands.
That may not be the worst thing in the world...I mean, AI is pretty clutch, and Tim and Manu didn't exactly hit the shots we needed in games 4 and 7.

IMO, AI is still a top 5 player, and will be for at least the next 3 or 4 years, which is San Antonio's best window of opportunity to win multiple championships. I'm not saying the Spurs should actively go out and pursue this trade, but I wouldn't be oppossed to it if it were available.
Old 05-25-06, 09:44 AM
The Master Baiter

Wow, people sure do have short term memories. TP was clutch in alot of games during the playoffs. He was hitting his free throws, making timely shots, etc. He had a midrange jumper before his legs turned black and blue. I know, injuries should not be an excuse. But AI at 30 something will have alot more injuries than TP will now. And we have TP at bargain basement. AI will always require a max contract whether he deserves it or not. Plus, a point guard who jacks up stupid shots when he should know better would make Pop retire, although some of you wouldn't exactly be upset about that either.
Old 05-25-06, 10:26 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpursErie
Tony is an exceptional driving 2 guard as evidenced by the 21 points per game he put up in the playoffs. But he is a mediocre point guard- against Dallas he had only 3.1 assists to 3.14 turnovers, an unacceptable ratio. And despite his shooting dropping from the extraordinary 55% he achieved in the regular season to 42%, against Dallas he went from his normal regular season 14 shots per game to 18.
of course... he's more a scorer PG than a Stockton/Nash/Kidd type PG... We all always knew that... but will you trade him just because his game has dropped in the series against Dallas? please... he only will get better through the years... this story of "trade Parker" is one of the stupiest things I have read in this forum...
Old 05-25-06, 10:42 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Hopefully, Tony will become that elite point guard. Right now, he has speed and quickness and that's it. No jumper, not a good passer or decision maker. But he's 24 and getting better every year, which is why we keep him.
Old 05-25-06, 10:44 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

I wouldnt say he has "no jumper"

he certainly showed improvement there this year
Old 05-25-06, 10:52 AM
SpursReport Rookie

I needed a good laugh for the day . . . not that the Mavs losing wasn't enough.
Old 05-25-06, 10:59 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Tony continues to falter when teams clog the middle. He still has shown none of the grit that Duncan or Manu does when teams move against them. Not that he isn't a bargain, and he's definitely improved, but he's still tradeable. Everyone but Duncan is really, but of the big 3 he's the one I could see most being traded.
Old 05-25-06, 11:16 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

I'll be happier with Tony here and let Pop go slap happy at honing him as he has done before....
Old 05-25-06, 11:26 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I agree Dizz, but man did you watch Nash last night. Tony HAS to develop that jump shot like Nash has to really take it to the next level. Granted Tony improved his game a lot from last year, I hope he continues this summer and comes out with a jumper that is consistent, and one that he and Pop have confidence in....cause it WAS lacking at some critical times this year. He's still a great player, and I would almost put money on him being here next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzG
I wouldnt say he has "no jumper"

he certainly showed improvement there this year
Old 05-25-06, 11:40 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

This TP bashing is hysterical.