News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-06, 05:44 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Anybody else getting a little tired of Pop's shtick?

This is not a "fire Pop!" thread. This is not a "Pop got outcoached" thread.

I don't hate Pop. But I am getting a little tired of his shtick.

What I mean is his stubborn refusal to ever discuss any of the reasoning behind his coaching moves. I don't want Pop to have to justify every little move that he makes, or to have to go through the pros and cons of every lineup permutation possible.

But Pop, have a little patience with us. Acknowledge that (at least some) Spurs fans know their team and the league pretty well. At least take a few seconds here and there to actually answer a reporter when a reasonable question is posed regarding a particular lineup issue or strategic maneuver.

Am I the only one?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-24-06, 05:52 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

yes fans no more then the coaches and the gms that do this for a living
that is why fans do not apply for jobs and get hired by the nba

is pop perfect no
but from the articles coming out
they have questions and will look for answers this offseason.
what are they going to do with their bigs?

people tell pop they need to be more athletic that is why they lost
but they lost by one point some games against dallas
so really how bad of a job did he do?
if you win no questions if you lose you have several reasons why you lost.

do they need to improve this offseason yes
are they perfect no
do I agree with everything pop does no
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-24-06, 05:52 PM
SpursReport Team Member

why should he?

He has had a VERY successful coachign career.

I wonder sometimes too why we were double teaming and playing small ball when in the past those are both no-no's in pop's book. but honestly, i dont know about you but i dont have 3 nba championship trophies.

If he doesnt want to talk about it let him. I wouldnt want to talk about it either
Old 05-24-06, 05:55 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I felt he made it fairly clear why he felt the need to go small. I don't agree that it served to our advantage ultimately, but its not De Vinci code.
Old 05-24-06, 06:03 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I do feel that Pop did not show any of his famous "adjustment"s, it is hard to say if AJ outcoached him. It is more of Pop not showing any of his usual brilliance. It is quite evident by the fact that big three had great games and bench missed so horribly.

Even though I am very happy with the way team fought it out, I am still disappointed with the D or the lack of it in both series.

To Pop's credit, players in the bench really went cold in the playoffs. Big men ball handling was not that great. Horry went completely cold in DAL series. Barry was not confident in his outside shooting. These factors did tie Pop's hands to certain extent.

Should Pop talk about why he used certain strategy to all the fans? IMHO certainly not. Series and the season is over, I would just look for next season, being what he is and knowing what all he has acomplished I see less reasons for him to acknowledge flaws in his strategy (call it ego or whatever, he earned it)

We are all saddened because our team could not defend the title and we'll have to live with hearing the same argument by the talking heads. But, it is is alright, we have to be happy that the matches are so competative and enjoy as it lasts. I will take 5 rings in 10 years than 3 rings in 3 years and going blank for next 7 years.
Old 05-24-06, 06:06 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

I'm talking about how he responds to questions from reporters and how he reacts to fans, for example on the Pop show on WOAI.

I actually think that if he explained himself a little bit more, he'd be second-guessed less.

I mean, even in the Express News there was mention of some questions about why he didn't at least play our centers when Tim was on the bench & Dampier was in the game. We still went with Horry at the 5 and Bowen at the 4.

There are legit answers as to why we would do this. Maybe he was concerned that Nazr/Rasho wouldn't be "in the game" mentally because they had been sitting. Maybe he was concerned they wouldn't be as quick as Horry to cover the basket on help defense. Maybe he wanted to spread the floor better with Horry and draw Dampier away from the basket on defense.

My point is not that Pop lacks any explanations, but that it would be nice to know which of the possible, reasonable explanations out there are the ones he's actually thinking. Considering that he's such a great coach, it would help us all to learn a little more about his thought processes, instead of him acting like it's all beneath him to explain.
Old 05-24-06, 06:14 PM
SpursReport Rookie

He has more rings than any coach in past 7 years. Even if he is stubborn I dont care as he is better than anyone.
Old 05-24-06, 06:27 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Pop doesnt owe the fans any explaining. Sounds harsh but he doesnt

The Spurs brass pay him to coach and win games. Not explain his coaching moves to fans. Its rare you hear pro coaches even do a show like he does on the radio to begin with
Old 05-24-06, 06:40 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

lets hear the coaching plans so the whole nba teams know what pop and the spurs will do
so fans will be happy
Old 05-24-06, 06:42 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Pop isn't truly accountable to anyone in the Spurs organization. That is part of the problem.
Old 05-24-06, 06:43 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

yes he is
duncan
Old 05-24-06, 06:44 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Pop doesn't owe anyone an explanation for anything.
Do I agree with everything he does? Of course not, but I think he knows a little more about the situation than I do and he shouldn't have to explain his every move to "Joe fan".
Old 05-24-06, 06:48 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Anybody else getting a little tired of Pop's shtick?
No
Old 05-24-06, 06:52 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks
yes he is
duncan
Old 05-24-06, 06:57 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Explanations to the fans arent an obligation (at all), but I do find his rigidity towards reporters a tad bit annoying (to answer the question). Plenty of other coaches expound on some of the moves they make throughout the game, without having the "I'm going to rip your head off/ you all are idiots face"... I guess thats just his style. Whatever works, works... Pop isnt a god, but at the same time, he's brought MUCH more good to this franchise than bad. So for that, I cant criticize too much.
Old 05-24-06, 07:00 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Pop and company do burn a lot of bridges, but they all know they're good swimmers.
Still. Someday a smarter shark will come and gobble them up. It's only a matter of time.
History and karma can be bi***es.
Old 05-24-06, 07:03 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurforever
He has more rings than any coach in past 7 years. Even if he is stubborn I dont care as he is better than anyone.
Doesn't Phil Jackson have three in the past seven years?

As for Pop explaining himself. He doesn't need to. He's won three rings. You don't see Phil Jackson or Riley explaining what they do and why. Why should Pop?
Old 05-24-06, 07:04 PM
SpursReport Team Member

no... i'm not tired
Old 05-24-06, 07:14 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

NOPE, he is a very good coach and I love Pop here.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 05-24-06, 07:16 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Pop has a shtick?
Then chances are good that YOU ALMOST FREAKING KILLED ME IN THE PARKING LOT
Old 05-24-06, 07:19 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I'm getting tired of Pop's schtick too. Now let's go look for a new coach from the scrap heap that all the bottomfeeders pick through.
Old 05-24-06, 07:21 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Nope. What he has done works for me and I believe I pay enough attention to the NBA that I would be able to pose a solid question. Im LESS interested in hearing a fans question to him than just hearing him talk. He is very good at keeping people who dont need to know details at arms length. Doesnt bother me a bit. Just keep putting us in position to win and get along well with our stars and city and Im happy.
Pops a great coach and handles it well.
Old 05-24-06, 07:26 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Comeon I criticize Pop all the time but what's suggested here is not true. At least he goes on a show to explain! I don't think every coach has a show to talk to fans and explain to them the work being done. Granted sometimes the best questions got filtered out but that's better than nothing. As for him always try to justify his moves, well he might not be right all the time but if he thinks he's wrong on something he won't do it. So obviously he's going to say what he did is right. That's just believing in himself. He could be wrong and he has been wrong but all you can ask is for him to be open.

Now if he reads some of my posts that would help too.
Old 05-24-06, 07:41 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
I actually think that if he explained himself a little bit more, he'd be second-guessed less.
Funny, I thought "winning 3 championships within 7 years, having remade the franchise each time he won" would be enough to lessen the second-guessing.
Old 05-24-06, 07:49 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar

What I mean is his stubborn refusal to ever discuss any of the reasoning behind his coaching moves. I don't want Pop to have to justify every little move that he makes, or to have to go through the pros and cons of every lineup permutation possible.

But Pop, have a little patience with us. Acknowledge that (at least some) Spurs fans know their team and the league pretty well. At least take a few seconds here and there to actually answer a reporter when a reasonable question is posed regarding a particular lineup issue or strategic maneuver.

Am I the only one?

No insult intended grizzly.....but I think you are being a little too sensitive about this. I also don't think Pop really cares if fans or especially media second guess him. Spurs 2007 Champs!!!

Last edited by hawaiiantexan; 05-24-06 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-24-06, 08:07 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurssheriff
Pop and company do burn a lot of bridges, but they all know they're good swimmers.
Still. Someday a smarter shark will come and gobble them up. It's only a matter of time.
History and karma can be bi***es.
When Pop is in the hall of fame and SA has prob 4-5 titles during his time here before he retires...who cares?

He's the best coach in the NBA IMO (I believe the players voted he was also) and he and RC along with others make up one of the best front offices in the league

say what you want but I dont think some Spurs fans realize how freakin fortunate the Spurs are compared to most NBA teams
Old 05-24-06, 08:47 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Not tired.

Not looking for accountability from Pop.

Dam* proud of our Spurs and looking forward to many more years of CIA Pop and quiet, focused TD. Plus his wry interview style is priceless.
Old 05-24-06, 08:54 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

As long as a 63 win season and trip to the conference semi-finals is considered a disappointment for this team Pop can run whatever schtick he so chooses in my book.
Old 05-25-06, 12:26 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCdac
... Pop isnt a god.
He's not?
Old 05-25-06, 12:48 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I think he's a great coach but just like every coach he has his flaws and in this series it hurt the spurs much like it did in '04 when he refused to play Malik and Kwill until game 6 when it was too late. Thats the only thing I don't like about him and wished that he would be open minded to mixing things up at times espescially in the mavs series. Fine you want to play small ball but how about going big for sometime and then going small for periods to give rest to all the guys in our rotation. Not playing Nazr and Rasho was like taking on high risk investments in stocks that aren't very stable in the sense you are going to come out big or your goign to lose everything. Just taking that risk was very dangerous and ultimately resulted in teh spurs losing. All I asked was for Pop to minimize the risks by mixing it up if he didn't feel he could play Nazr and Rasho for whole game atleast give them some freaking minutes.

I still like him but its frustrating that this is how its going to be for the time he's here in the sense its his way or the highway. I just wish he was more open minded but I guess it can't always be perfect.
Old 05-25-06, 02:10 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Here is what I know

Before Pop...Zero Titles
With Pop....Three Titles

No, I think as long as Pop isn't caught in bed with a dead girl or a live boy he will be the Spurs coach & GM for a very long time.
Old 05-25-06, 02:14 AM
SpursReport Rookie

The only expanation that I've ever wanted from Pop was why it took him so long to fire Bob Hill.
Old 05-25-06, 02:33 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR
Yeah, lets get a nice coach that will lay it all out for the fans.

Of course, he probably won't have the Spurs playing at such a high level, but who needs that when you know everything that is going on
Old 05-25-06, 02:35 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Corleone
Here is what I know

Before Pop...Zero Titles
With Pop....Three Titles

No, I think as long as Pop isn't caught in bed with a dead girl or a live boy he will be the Spurs coach & GM for a very long time.
The Godfather has spoken. My only disagreement is that Pop said he will retire when Duncan does because he "has nothing to prove" since he acknowledges Duncan is the reason for our success, not him.
Old 05-25-06, 04:24 AM
The Amazing!

Unless you sign his check on payday I don’t think he own you an explanation. Still might be nice to hear him explain some of the stuff he does every once and awhile.
Old 05-25-06, 07:54 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Not tired of Pop, but am tired of the "Pop is to blame" schtick whenever the Spurs get eliminated from the playoffs. Even the very best coaches don't win the championship EVERY year. Did anyone here get tired of Tom Landry's "schtick"?
Old 05-25-06, 08:57 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Everyone, ask yourself one question? Would Pop still be coaching the Spurs if they wouldn't have landed Tim Duncan?

Not a Pop hater, but tired of everytime the Spurs lose it a player issue and everytime they win it's how well Pop coached the game.

As for the Pop Show, those guys talk about how they are going to ask Pop all the tough questions, etc. etc., Pop comes on live and all they do is kiss his A$%. The 760 guys are aware of the last guys to question Pop in the media.
Old 05-25-06, 09:32 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzG
When Pop is in the hall of fame and SA has prob 4-5 titles during his time here before he retires...who cares?

He's the best coach in the NBA IMO (I believe the players voted he was also) and he and RC along with others make up one of the best front offices in the league

say what you want but I dont think some Spurs fans realize how freakin fortunate the Spurs are compared to most NBA teams
It's gonna be like getting hit with a ton of bricks when people figure out how blessed San Antonio with this staff, coach, and player (Duncan). Not saying that's coming any time soon, but how lucky can you get in a smaller market?
Old 05-25-06, 09:40 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Pop is a coach. If he does something, he probably has a reason. If he decides to share his reason with his fans, great, but as many others have said, he doesn't have to. He's the coach, just let him do his job. Pop has led us to victory, do we really have to question him?
Old 05-25-06, 10:07 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:

Am I the only one?
I actually find Pop's approach funny/amusing and fully support it...there's absolutely no reason for transparency in this process apart from accommodating curious fans and writers...i know i'd hate it if i had to explain every decision/moves i make at work to my boss, co-workers, anyone who's interested, etc...i think the man's due some trust...
Old 05-25-06, 10:14 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldoror
Doesn't Phil Jackson have three in the past seven years?

As for Pop explaining himself. He doesn't need to. He's won three rings. You don't see Phil Jackson or Riley explaining what they do and why. Why should Pop?
I also have never seen Phil Jackson be "forced" into someone else's gameplan.

The one thing about Phil, love him or hate him, he will always stick to HIS plan. Even when the ship is going down. And to tell the truth, i rather have seen the Spurs stick to Spur Ball and lose, rather than playing Dallas ball and losing anyways.

I don't know why it is bothering me so much, but I guess I am not the only one affected. Is it just that it seemed kind of gutless?? I mean, we never even tried Spur ball. It was like right away Pop was like, "Our style ain't good enough. We've got to adjust!".

Disappointing to say the least.

-J.W.
Old 05-25-06, 10:19 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Yet you are the only one in here saying Pop needs to be fired

get a grip
Old 05-25-06, 11:23 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
....I don't hate Pop. But I am getting a little tired of his shtick....Am I the only one?
No, but you're in a group of 7 lost souls.
Old 05-25-06, 11:24 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

He told us everything we need to know about why he played the "small ball" style.

Because Rasho and Nazr aren't playing very well.
Old 05-25-06, 12:13 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

aahhhhh hahahahahahaha. Yeah coach let us in on your game plan!!!
Old 05-25-06, 12:38 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLogo

I don't know why it is bothering me so much, but I guess I am not the only one affected. Is it just that it seemed kind of gutless?? I mean, we never even tried Spur ball. It was like right away Pop was like, "Our style ain't good enough. We've got to adjust!".

Disappointing to say the least.

-J.W.
Didn't we prove that we could mix it up using small ball and a faster pace on occasion during last year's Phoenix series? The key phrase being "on occasion."

Gutless might be a bit strong, but yeah, what happened in the Mavs series has not gone down easy. Gosh, all this time we were worried about the Pistons-little did we know that the mighty Basketball machine that is the Mavs would make us throw Spurs ball out the window.

Tired of Pop's shtick? No, but rather wish we could have seen more of the "old" Pop against the Mavs. His adjustments were out of character.
Whatever happens, I hope we see a return to Spurs ball. Some commentators and fans have mentioned this new "era of small ball." I don't see it.
I think whoever's coming out of the West this year will just be cannon fodder for either the Heat or Pistons.
Spurs ball had a good chance of winning another title this year. Too bad we didn't see enough of it this postseason.

Last edited by Alka-Seltzer; 05-25-06 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-25-06, 02:22 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Pop should be given benefit of doubt because neither Rasho nor Nazr were playing good in the limited opportunity they got (you can include other big men too like Horry, Oberto). Should Pop given them more opportunity, I think so and many fans think so. But would that have really lead to wins or would ther be early exit with blow out loss (4-1), got knows!!

I think it is pretty valid and OK to criticize Pop for not taking the risk and reacting to Dallas. But, situation in the bench also dictated few of those decision not just Dallas ball (small?).

Bottom line, with what ever flaw he has Pop is still the best for SAS. He does not need to answer anything to anyone as long as he takes his team to 2nd round.
Old 05-25-06, 03:43 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alka-Seltzer
Didn't we prove that we could mix it up using small ball and a faster pace on occasion during last year's Phoenix series? The key phrase being "on occasion."

Gutless might be a bit strong, but yeah, what happened in the Mavs series has not gone down easy. Gosh, all this time we were worried about the Pistons-little did we know that the mighty Basketball machine that is the Mavs would make us throw Spurs ball out the window.

Tired of Pop's shtick? No, but rather wish we could have seen more of the "old" Pop against the Mavs. His adjustments were out of character.
Whatever happens, I hope we see a return to Spurs ball. Some commentators and fans have mentioned this new "era of small ball." I don't see it.
I think whoever's coming out of the West this year will just be cannon fodder for either the Heat or Pistons.
Spurs ball had a good chance of winning another title this year. Too bad we didn't see enough of it this postseason.
I agree.

The winner of this year's title will not be playing small ball. Shaq is likely to get that 4th ring, cement himself as one of the greatest big man ever, make Jerry Buss and Kobe look like idiots and bring Miami their first title.

As for pop, i have never disagreed with what the man has done before. But like you pointed out, this series just seemed soo... UN-POP (for lack of a better term). I mean all of our championship teams were built on defense, shotblocking, and rebounding. All of a sudden we are going to face the mighty Mavs and Pop decides that philosophy is out the window??

It was weird. And the fact that when it obviously wasn't working, and he didn't adjust at all...

Well that was just downright ludricous.

-J.W.