News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-06, 04:57 PM
SpursReport Team Member

some good things about not winning this year...

while everyone is moping...there are some positive things about not winning this year.

losing is not cool at all, but there are two sides to everything...

- had we won this year, would it really have had the same "magic" as 03 or 05? granted we would have come out on top of that dallas series...but then we'd have to look forward to a long year next year, where we probably wouldn't win

- titles are sweeter after a losing year. the next year, the team comes out with something to prove. it took 4 years to win after 99, and remember how badass it felt to knock off the lakers and go all the way?

- what would have happend if we won in 04? fans would've gotten used to winning and spoiled. the spurs would no longer be looked as the good guys who proved the world wrong, but just a bunch of guys winning games. fans were starting to get spoiled this year. HOW MANY SPURS JERSIES DID YOU SEE IN THE CROWD LAST NIGHT?\

any thoughts?
Old 05-23-06, 05:04 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I really needed a break from NBA basketball too. I was just getting headaches watching it and getting frustrated. Now we can recap the season and take a nice long break.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-23-06, 05:08 PM
SpursReport Team Member

THE SWEET ISN'T AS SWEET WITHOUT THE BITTER
Old 05-23-06, 05:29 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

well... another thing is...

Id rather lose in the 2nd round than lose in the finals.
Old 05-23-06, 05:30 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I think the loss will keep Ginobili and Parker hungry.

I think the loss will provide Duncan an extra month to rest his body and relax his head.

The core of the Spurs is tired. Time with family will be a good thing.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-23-06, 05:35 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

My liver has an extra month to heal too. LOL My blood pressure will return to normal and in a few months we'll start a new season!
Old 05-23-06, 05:38 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaSin2K4
well... another thing is...

Id rather lose in the 2nd round than lose in the finals.
DING DING, exactly what I was thinking too, if we lost in the finals that would kill me man, that 3-0 looks SO SWEET.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 05-23-06, 05:54 PM
SpursReport Team Member

There is nothing good about losing. It sucks.
Old 05-23-06, 05:54 PM
SpursReport Team Member

ya, but now theres nothing to do b4 the world cup!!
Old 05-23-06, 08:14 PM
SpursReport Rookie

It'd be better if we had the Draft to look forward to ... so much for those picks for Nazr. It'd be nice to have had Malik against Dallas. Besides the spurs struggled against the Kings and Mavs, whose to say that the Suns and the Heat/Pistons would not have knocked us out.
Old 05-23-06, 08:17 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by radicaldreamer
It'd be better if we had the Draft to look forward to ... so much for those picks for Nazr. It'd be nice to have had Malik against Dallas. Besides the spurs struggled against the Kings and Mavs, whose to say that the Suns and the Heat/Pistons would not have knocked us out.
I would have loved to find out atleast if they could have beaten us. The Kings were a damn good team as well, not your #8 seed by any means!!!!!! We played a very tough team first, then the Mavs, thanks for the seedings STERN! I would have loved to still have been watching them play, another series or two would have been great, but it's not Gods will so I guess I will learn to swollow it.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 05-23-06, 08:22 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

You're kidding if you think Malik would've helped us. Malik is constantly in Pop's doghouse, it wasn't working out when we traded him. Remember people prasing the deal for Nazr and trashed Irish? At least Nazr was good for a year. It didn't work out this year for various reasons we argued a lot here but the bottom line is that Malik wasn't going to help us and we traded him for a guy who helped us won last season. As for those picks, we gave up alot of good picks, not just that one. God knows who we would've picked if we didn't intend to trade the pick.
Old 05-23-06, 08:56 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Pop does'nt always know who should be in his dog house and who he should have in his favor see: Terry Porter, Nick Van Exel
Old 05-23-06, 09:06 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

you always wanna win, but good to see the optimism. they should be real hungry next year, just as hungry as after the .4 stunner. i just waned back to backs so everyone could shut-up about not being able to defend the rings. duncan was injured in 2000, and '04 needed a mricale shot by fisher! stupid writers...
Old 05-23-06, 09:12 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
some good things about not winning this year...
Spurs will be on a "mission" next year to win it all.
Tony will have more time to improve his jumper.
Tim will have plenty of time to heal from the PF.
Coaches can spend more time scouting for affordable SF/guards/centers
Old 05-23-06, 09:56 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousspirit
Spurs will be on a "mission" next year to win it all.
Tony will have more time to improve his jumper.
Tim will have plenty of time to heal from the PF.
Coaches can spend more time scouting for affordable SF/guards/centers
And Manu WILL come back with a vengance!
Old 05-23-06, 10:19 PM
SpursReport Rookie

they can have a rest so that they can be healthy next season.. especially timmy..
i wiLL StILL bELiEvE.
..I LOVE MY SAN ANTONIO SPURS..

>> SiLvEr&bLaCk <<
Old 05-24-06, 02:19 AM
SpursReport Rookie

I rather see San Antonio Spurs win back-to-back championships this year! It'll shut up ESPN and so called basketball analysts for good.
Old 05-24-06, 02:37 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson50
You're kidding if you think Malik would've helped us. Malik is constantly in Pop's doghouse, it wasn't working out when we traded him. Remember people prasing the deal for Nazr and trashed Irish? At least Nazr was good for a year. It didn't work out this year for various reasons we argued a lot here but the bottom line is that Malik wasn't going to help us and we traded him for a guy who helped us won last season. As for those picks, we gave up alot of good picks, not just that one. God knows who we would've picked if we didn't intend to trade the pick.
i think he means skill wise....malik could guard a low post player that likes to hang out by the 3pt line....we didnt have any bigs that could guard Dirk because he is a guard in a centers body....malik is a powerforward with some perimeter quickness

whats good about not winning?.....i said all along that Detroit was playing like it was in the reg season bcuz they lost in gm 7 of the finals last yr.....its motivation...it makes you hungry.....you want to redeem yourself.....one thing about Dirk that struck me was an interview where he said he was tired of being at home watching the Finals.....he was sick and tired of losing....and it showed....when you win it all....you CANT be as hungry as you were before.....bcuz you just ate...LOL
Old 05-24-06, 03:02 AM
SpursReport Team Member

The only good thing is next year we'll be underdogs. Losing sucks. But I do agree with some that if we lost in the Finals, that would be the ultimate heartbreak. Don't know if I could go on with life if that ever happened. 3-0 record in the finals is sweet.
Old 05-24-06, 03:30 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakemxcan
ya, but now theres nothing to do b4 the world cup!!
thats the only good thing i can think of....now us futbol fans can focus on the sport for a whole month
Old 05-24-06, 10:19 AM
SpursReport Rookie

This time off will help Tim, Manu and Parker heal from lingering injuries that they've had all season. That way they can come back and win it all next year...God willing.
Old 05-24-06, 10:40 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilite Kid
The only good thing is next year we'll be underdogs. Losing sucks. But I do agree with some that if we lost in the Finals, that would be the ultimate heartbreak. Don't know if I could go on with life if that ever happened. 3-0 record in the finals is sweet.
I don't remember a time when we weren't considered underdogs.

Old 05-24-06, 11:08 AM
SpursReport Rookie

The only bright side I see is.....*sleep*. Staying up til 1 am here on the East Coast - and having enough adrenalin going at the end to keep me up till 3 - three times in a work week was killing me.

But I'd rather be perpetually tired and still watching.
Old 05-24-06, 11:18 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Empty
My liver has an extra month to heal too. LOL My blood pressure will return to normal and in a few months we'll start a new season!
I was thinking the exact same thing...I would rather be knocked out now than the finals b/c Spurs and NBA basketball is very stressful.
Old 05-24-06, 01:22 PM
SpursReport Team Member

uh, coming back from down 3-1 and then a 20 point hole to take the first lead with less than a minute left in the game? That would have been DAMN special - a lot like the MDM game if you ask me. 3 or 4 titles in a row would be much sweeter than the losing years. Its like justifying eating Mcdonalds to make steak taste better. You take four steaks in a row before you even think about jamming a happy meal in your face. Nice try to put a spin on it, but there is nothing good or special about losing and no other 'differrent feeling' takes away from the feeling of winning.

Last edited by 4down; 05-24-06 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-24-06, 01:29 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzarector7
DING DING, exactly what I was thinking too, if we lost in the finals that would kill me man, that 3-0 looks SO SWEET.
We would NOT lose in the finals! The winner of Spurs Vs Mavs will win the title this year.
Unfortunately, it won't be us!!

The only positive thing (if you can say there is a positive!) is the foundation of the biggest rivalry in the NBA for the next few years. It will be VERY sweet to regain the "throne" from the Mavs next year!
Old 05-25-06, 11:02 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I'm amazed this thread got even one response...
Old 05-25-06, 03:27 PM
SpursReport Rookie

we won it all last year and got better, we owed it to finley and X to get the ring that they took a paycut for. no one else left deserves a title, except maybe for detroit, but even they don't look like the team they were supposed to be right now
Old 05-25-06, 04:45 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Empty
and dont forget about growing nails back!!
Old 05-25-06, 07:46 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

as greedy as it sounds, I really wanted a title this year because the Spurs have never done it back to back, and because I wanted to see Finley stick it to Cuban.
Old 05-25-06, 09:54 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea js
thats the only good thing i can think of....now us futbol fans can focus on the sport for a whole month
Exactly.
Then a month off.
Then the Basket WC.