News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 05-23-06, 12:13 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Potential Free Agents

Dallas exposed our lack of athletic perimeter players. Our draft options are pretty non-existant, so I'm curious...which free agents (if any) could / should we go after?

Some of the unrestricted free agents available (courtesy Hoopsworld):
Drew Gooden, Al Harrington, Bobby Jackson, Ronald Murray, Tim Thomas, (gulp) Jason Terry, Ben Wallace, Bonzi Wells.
Old 05-23-06, 12:15 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Bonzi, Bonzi, Bonzi, Bonzi
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-23-06, 12:18 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

ben wallace
Old 05-23-06, 12:20 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

At the moment, I'd trade our entire bench for Jason Terry.

Once upon a time, giants ruled the earth....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-23-06, 12:25 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MenInBlackAreBack
Dallas exposed our lack of athletic perimeter players. Our draft options are pretty non-existant, so I'm curious...which free agents (if any) could / should we go after?

Drew Gooden, Al Harrington, Bobby Jackson, Ronald Murray, Tim Thomas, (gulp) Jason Terry, Ben Wallace, Bonzi Wells.
None of those players look appealing. If Tim Thomas could Defend, he would have been something else against Dirk.
Old 05-23-06, 12:32 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameFan2k5
None of those players look appealing. If Tim Thomas could Defend, he would have been something else against Dirk.
Yes, I know...there are very few high-profile FAs available. Most are restricted. Maybe we should save our money for KG?
Old 05-23-06, 12:33 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Good scouting. NBDL. That's where you'll find the athleticism.
Old 05-23-06, 12:36 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Ben Wallace would be nice. It would be a perfect compliment to Duncan. That will only happen in the Fantasy League.

Bonzi would be nice but I doubt the Spurs, assuming they have the cap space would sign him. Character issue. The Spurs value the character of a player.

Bobby Jackson is injury-prone. Maybe if it was 4 yrs ago, it be a nice pickup.

Drew Gooden -- I dont see the Spurs bidding against the Cavs (Ferry). But, it be a good pickup if Gooden could concentrate on rebounding and defense. I like this guy's effort but he has serious issues in learning the defensive and offensive schemes. That's the downside.

Definitely they have to unload Barry, Rasho, Oberto and Udrih. They have to get a Lindsay Hunter-type backup point guard. Better yet, they should trade the rights of Scola. I don't see that he'll be SIGNIFICANTLY better than Oberto in an NBA game. Don't get me wrong, I think Oberto is a good player but he has not adjusted well to the NBA game.

I would like to see that. But I doubt KG would do that.

Quote:
Yes, I know...there are very few high-profile FAs available. Most are restricted. Maybe we should save our money for KG?
Old 05-23-06, 12:43 AM
SpursReport Team Member

if the spurs are not going to use Beno, they'd better trade him for a player they could use to play significant minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hantler
why must they get rid of Beno again?
Old 05-23-06, 12:53 AM
SpursReport Rookie

bring devin brown back and send utah brent barry. then do a sign and trade for drew gooden and send the cavs scola's rights and nazr. then bring in a pg who could help tony out.
Old 05-23-06, 12:55 AM
SpursReport Team Member

we dont need that terry douchebag around here, hell no.

bonzi, i have a feeling he was a one trick pony. if he came here i doubt he'd do anything.

ben wallace-well that would be nice, wouldnt it? we may as well pick up kobe bryant at the same time.
Old 05-23-06, 01:02 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Scola+Barry for Stephen Jackson
Old 05-23-06, 01:08 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hantler
Michael Jordan
Thats probably the funniest thing I read all week, XD.
Theres plenty of room for more roster since Nazr and NVE will be leaving so it'll be interesting to see what the spurs office does this offseason.
Who knows maybe we'll get a miracle and get the number one pick .

~Ian
Old 05-23-06, 01:40 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

This Pacers fan gives an excellent synopsis of why any sane team should just say no to Bonzi Wells.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21293
Then chances are good that YOU ALMOST FREAKING KILLED ME IN THE PARKING LOT
Old 05-23-06, 05:13 AM
The Amazing!

Isn't Beno 2nd year in the league? I think he showed promise during the regular seasson no need to get rid of him so quick.
Old 05-23-06, 05:16 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I think POP should've played Beno more so that he can get more experience
Old 05-23-06, 05:33 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooduy
Definitely they have to unload Barry, Rasho, Oberto and Udrih. They have to get a Lindsay Hunter-type backup point guard. Better yet, they should trade the rights of Scola. I don't see that he'll be SIGNIFICANTLY better than Oberto in an NBA game. Don't get me wrong, I think Oberto is a good player but he has not adjusted well to the NBA game.
I would like to see that. But I doubt KG would do that.
Beno will be fine. The worst move of the last off season was bringing in a "seasoned veteran" (NVE) to back up TP. This did nothing but slow down Beno's development. Beno was fine when given the chance to play this year. Hopefully his role will be expanded next year.

The reason Oberto has not adjusted to the NBA game is because he hasn't been given the chance yet. He is (was) a first year player, and just like any "rookie", they need time and game experience to fully develope. Give the guy another year with more plying time and he will be fine.
Old 05-23-06, 05:36 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Ben Wallace and Tim would make me weep with joy.

Too bad we'd have to trade half our team to get him.

We need an affordable,athletic center to play alongside Tim.

Chris Wilcox would be amazing,but his price will be too high.
I'd love to have Chris Kaman,but thats not happening.
I think we are stuck with Rasho for the long run.
Old 05-23-06, 07:33 AM
SpursReport Rookie

what about JR smith, I doubt the hornets will trade now, since barry looks washed up but i think the spurs should do what it takes to get him. Maybe finley and barry or barry and nazr seeing how the hornets need a centre next to west. any takers?
Old 05-23-06, 08:00 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

yeah, no more overseas players. We need american athleticism now. Parker Gino and Duncan are still effective but we need height and young long atheletes to defend that way small ball to us is playing our quick 6-9 center and quick 6-8 swingman alongside Gino and Duncan.

Last edited by Big Empty; 05-23-06 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-23-06, 08:04 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0pe63
Beno will be fine. The worst move of the last off season was bringing in a "seasoned veteran" (NVE) to back up TP. This did nothing but slow down Beno's development. Beno was fine when given the chance to play this year. Hopefully his role will be expanded next year.

The reason Oberto has not adjusted to the NBA game is because he hasn't been given the chance yet. He is (was) a first year player, and just like any "rookie", they need time and game experience to fully develope. Give the guy another year with more plying time and he will be fine.
I think beno will be fine. He needs more PT. Oberto? I think Oberto is what we saw this year and playing time is not going to change that. He is a heady ball player who can contribute spot minutes when needed. His lack of athleticism will not change.
Old 05-23-06, 08:40 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

The player I missed the most is Speedy and I believe he is a free agent....so maybe??

Henny Youngman
Old 05-23-06, 08:52 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

I'd like Speedy back here as well. The dilemma though is that there's only 1 MLE the Spurs have to use on free agents and you're not going to be able to squeeze Scola and Claxton in there like you were able to with Finley and Oberto. So, if the Spurs are intent on bringing Scola over, that pretty much kills any chance at getting Speedy.
Old 05-23-06, 09:09 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotes_geek
I'd like Speedy back here as well. The dilemma though is that there's only 1 MLE the Spurs have to use on free agents and you're not going to be able to squeeze Scola and Claxton in there like you were able to with Finley and Oberto. So, if the Spurs are intent on bringing Scola over, that pretty much kills any chance at getting Speedy.
How much is Scola's buyout? and does he still want to play for the Spurs being all that happened all off season?

Henny Youngman
Old 05-23-06, 09:32 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotes_geek
Speedy was the perfect B/U to Parker. Can't fully remember the circumstances that caused him to leave the Spurs but I thought it had to do with Speedy wanting the chance to be a starter?
Old 05-23-06, 09:39 AM
SpursReport Rookie

No Al Harrington. The guy can put up numbers and is a tough nosed focused dude. He is also a good rebounder 7-8 per night, something we NEVER had for a perimeter guy. He's young, fresh, healthy, and hungry. I say let Pop and RC make a sales pitch for him. The lack of strong/athletic guys on the perimeter is what got us this year. Al Harrington makes sense to me.
Old 05-23-06, 09:42 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

By The Way...The Spurs backcourt is fine with who they have. Against any other team besides the Mavericks the Spurs backcourt would have matched up great.

That said...if it were at all possible...KG would be my dream addition to the Spurs.
Old 05-23-06, 09:50 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

i dont think JR Smith could be had again for Barry. Last season the Hornets were making moves to try and make a run at the post season, as such they wanted to get some vet help.

Who is to say the Hornets would be willing to make that move agian?
Old 05-23-06, 10:26 AM
SpursReport Rookie

why didnt sean marks play. we would have won had he played.

On that note.. we should go after kobe

Old 05-23-06, 10:31 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saSpurstx
How much is Scola's buyout? and does he still want to play for the Spurs being all that happened all off season?
I honestly don't know what the buyout would be, but I've got to assume it would be enough to where Scola would need more than 1/2 MLE for it to be worth his while to come here.

I also see Speedy being in enough demand where 1/2 MLE wouldn't get him here either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF4L
Speedy was the perfect B/U to Parker. Can't fully remember the circumstances that caused him to leave the Spurs but I thought it had to do with Speedy wanting the chance to be a starter?
Yes. He wanted to be a starter and have a team of his own to run. Who knows whether he still feels that way. If he does, it's obvious that won't happen in N.O. with Chris Paul there.
Old 05-23-06, 10:37 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
yeah, no more overseas players
That is just absurd. Talent is talent and if Pop and RC think Scola and Javokas can help then there is no reason they should avoid them because their not Americans
Old 05-23-06, 10:57 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halshalchi
No Al Harrington. The guy can put up numbers and is a tough nosed focused dude. He is also a good rebounder 7-8 per night, something we NEVER had for a perimeter guy. He's young, fresh, healthy, and hungry. I say let Pop and RC make a sales pitch for him. The lack of strong/athletic guys on the perimeter is what got us this year. Al Harrington makes sense to me.

He's the type of tweener SF/PF that the team could use and would be great in a complimentary role if he would "reduce" himself to that role.

Old 05-23-06, 12:53 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I would like to see us get Jared Jeffries from Washington but he's restricted and due a pay raise. I also like Rasual Butler's game. Maybe even Lorenzen Wright would make us quicker up front.
Old 05-23-06, 12:54 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
How many of these guys will be willing to play for the $1 million exception? Because that's all we'll have after signing Scola and Javtokas -- regardless whether it's with the MLE or the cap savings we get from finishing the Brent Barry/J.R. Smith trade.
Old 05-23-06, 01:06 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

last reports were Scola's buyout was 3 mil I believe and could be divided into 3 years
Old 05-23-06, 01:17 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsucksForever
How many of these guys will be willing to play for the $1 million exception? Because that's all we'll have after signing Scola and Javtokas -- regardless whether it's with the MLE or the cap savings we get from finishing the Brent Barry/J.R. Smith trade.
There are no cap savings to be had by trading Barry, or anyone for that matter. The Spurs are over the cap and will be no matter what they do. Well, short of trading Tim Duncan to the Bulls for a draft pick which I think we can all agree would be a bad idea.

The Spurs will have the MLE, the LLE, league minimum contracts, trades, and a late 2nd round draft pick to bring in players.
Old 05-23-06, 01:19 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I was looking at the contracts of each player, team by team....all I can say is, DAMN, Isaiah Thomas is an IDIOT!!!!
Old 05-23-06, 01:44 PM
SpursReport Rookie

We're going to be over the cap so all we're going to have is the MLE. I think everyone will end up being very disappointed if we do get J.R. Smith. He's a decent scorer, and that's it. Plus, I believe he has a bad attitude. There is no way we get Al Harrington or Bonzi Wells with the MLE.

I think a good answer is trying to sign either Devean George or Tim Thomas and perhaps a solid pure point guard like Brevin Knight with the mid-level, and forget about Scola (at least for now). Then perhaps we could use Udrih, Barry and the rights to Scola to try to trade for a good swingman. Maybe someone like Jalen Rose? He is making a ton of money, but it's only for one more season I think. Plus, Rose can have point guard duties as well.

I don't have a problem with leaving Rasho at center for now because I think Mahinmi will be ready after next season.

So that would leave us with...
C - Rasho
PF - Duncan
SF - Bowen
SG - Ginobili
PG - Parker
Finley
Horry
Oberto
George/Thomas
Knight
Rose

This way, we would probably be able to play small ball at the end of games very easily by taking Rasho out and using a quick scoring lineup of Duncan, Rose, Finley, Ginobili and Parker. I like it!

What do you think?
Old 05-23-06, 01:45 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I say we trade the rights to Scola, Nazr Mohommad and like 5 draft picks for KG
Old 05-23-06, 01:51 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neileshv
Pass me some of that.
Old 05-23-06, 01:51 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neileshv
How many people in Minnesota's front office do you think are saying "gee, we need to move KG. I wonder if we could get the rights to Scola, Nazr Mohammed and like 5 draft picks for him"?

I'm thinking not too many.

Landing KG is a pipe dream.
Old 05-23-06, 02:06 PM
SpursReport Team Member

What about Parker + Rasho + others for KG; think either team would do that?
Old 05-23-06, 02:08 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobEX
Big 3 + Bruce are Untouchable as far as I'm concerned.
Old 05-23-06, 02:14 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Al Harrington would be a significant upgrade for us, at a postition we need, but he's not the answer. We need an overhaul if we're going to stay ahead of the curve...youth, speed, athleticism, length, and hunger. That's what Dallas has, and it's what knocked us out of the playoffs. The days of bringing in slow-footed perimiter shooters for Duncan to kick out to are over. We played our best in this series, when he passed out of a double team and our perimiter players attacked the basket. I'm not saying we get rid of all of our shooters, because we need them too, but let's face it...Brent Barry, Robert Horry, NVE, Nazr, Oberto, all need to go. They are too slow and inconsistent.
We need a guy like Cory Magette. When he's healthy, he attacks the basket and finishes strong at the rim. When he's knocking down the three and the jumpers, he's pretty much unstoppable. Defensively he could be suspect, but Pop can get it out of him.
We have to start thinking about the future.
Old 05-23-06, 02:17 PM
SpursReport Team Member

What about Rasho & Barry to N.O. for PJ brown, JR Smith & Macijaukas? This trade works from a cap standpoint...& if they want to trade the #15, we could include Beno & a future first rounder.
Old 05-23-06, 02:20 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazr For 3
Big 3 + Bruce are Untouchable as far as I'm concerned.
Parker's a great player and had a fantastic year, but the Spurs aren't going to get Duncan any real (frontcourt) help with draft picks + MLE. Trading Rasho/Barry etc. isn't going to get that help either. To me Parker seems to be the most expendable of the three. I agree that Duncan is untouchable, and Ginobili and Bowen are right after him. Spurs need another good big man more than they need a (fantastic) score-first PG IMO. I'd rather see a downgrade at PG if it meant a significant upgrade in the frontcourt.
Old 05-23-06, 02:20 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Jumaine Jones
Old 05-23-06, 02:22 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I like the idea of adding Al Harrington. I think he would have been the perfect matchup for this series. Harrington isn't very tall (6'7-9"?), but he's long and strong and has a game like a power forward, but he also has the quickness and outside game of a small forward. I think he would have been perfect to match up with Nowitzki. He would have killed him on the post and been able to guard him anywhere on the court as well.....and most importantly, he would have been able to do this while giving us the rebounding edge.

And as much as I hate to say it, I agree that Parker is expendable. His play down the stretch of key playoff games the last few years is so frustrating. I'm not sure whether he doesn't have the right mental make-up (he really seems to lose it when the pressure is on) or whether his game just doesn't translate well to crunch time (short guy driving into heart of the defense)....and I think its a little of both. All I know is he has high trade value.

Last edited by weisman; 05-23-06 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-23-06, 02:25 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobEX
If I'm the twolves and I've come to accept that I've got to move KG, I'm not moving him in any trade where I don't get to dump one or more of my bad contracts along with him. Those bad contracts being Marko Jaric, Troy Hudson and Mark Blount.

If you're the Spurs and you want to get KG and want me to take on Rasho in return, then my offer is KG, Jaric and Hudson in return for Parker, Rasho and Ginobili. You're probably going to have to kick in a 1st round draft pick or two.

As a Spurs fan I don't do it. As a Twolf fan that's about the bare minimum it would take to get me even thinking about moving KG.
Old 05-23-06, 02:35 PM
SpursReport Rookie

The only deal the Wolves would even think twice about is a deal that would send them Ginobilli and Parker for KG. Of course the Spurs would have to throw in some guys to match up contracts but I think its safe to say a deal with the Wolves isn't available. The Spurs don't need to rebuild. They need a athletic BIG. They are fine on the perimeter. They were fine on the perimeter against the Kings. The problem with Dallas was Dirk. IMO, the Spurs played him fine. HE went off for 30 against them but he's a superstar. The problem wasn't Dirk specifically it was the matchups and our smalls gave Dirk a harder time than our bigs. We need a young athletic big man playing alongside Duncan with pretty good feetwork. KG fits that mold great which is why I think his name is being thrown out there but he's not available. Chris Wilcox may have been available a couple of months ago but I think he's a keeper now lol. A backup pg may be a need as well though I think with some time and patience Beno Udrih can feel that role.