News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-06, 02:07 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilite Kid
Watching and listening to how Finley arrived here and his attitude towards being a newbie, learning the system and just wanting to try his hardest to help his team and then hearing (supposedly) what Nazr had to say tonight is depressing.

Win for Fin in '07.

I hope Nazr goes to the hawks.
Well.. I don't know if that's an entirely fair comparison. They were in different situations. Nazr had to leave training camp for family business, he didn't get to play in the playoffs during a contract year, some GM is going to see those offensive numbers in the only games he did play though and be impressed I guess.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/nazr_m....html?nav=page
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-23-06, 02:17 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krycek1
Well.. I don't know if that's an entirely fair comparison. They were in different situations. Nazr had to leave training camp for family business, he didn't get to play in the playoffs during a contract year, some GM is going to see those offensive numbers in the only games he did play though and be impressed I guess.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/nazr_m....html?nav=page
I'm speaking in terms of attitude. I don't know what its like to be a player on the Spurs, but I have to believe all the players get what they give.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-23-06, 02:30 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson50
Don't want to retype what I just said. I already explained. Bottom line is that we used Nazr/Rasho combo to win 63 games, the most in Spurs history and that combo deserved at least 1 game during the Mavs series to prove that's not right for the series. They're never given the chance, period.
Agreed.
Old 05-23-06, 02:36 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Nobody really knows what really happened behind close doors. I don't think Nazr should get blasted in here. The guy never played lol how can you bash guy who has never played in the series more then a few minutes. Its human nature to act the way he did. Imagine if you were in that situation you would be pretty frustrated to not being able to play and do anything to help your team while feeling your just as good as Dallas' centers but your coach has 0 faith in your abliities despite being part of a championship run the year before. All that is left is to idoly watch your team get killed on the boards while you can do nothing to help. That has to be a great feeling atleast give him credit for not b1tching about minutes through the media during this series. He has every right to be mad once the final buzzer is sounded and can say what he wants considering the spurs don't have his contractual rights anymore.

As much as everybody likes to diss Nazr the man is also a competitor. He's played on 2 Kentucky Wildcat championships teams and didn't b1tch about minutes when Magliore stole his starting spot even though it could have hurt his chances of being a first round pick. I think there really is more to this story then what 1 side is presenting. Its somewhere in the middle where Pop made some **** ups along with Nazr. No one is better then the other its just frustrating that a middle reaching point couldn't be reached between the 2.
Old 05-23-06, 02:45 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Didn't Mohammed play a couple of minutes of game 3, where he immediately picked up a couple of quick fouls? That guy's defense was garbage, and he didn't rebound either this season. At least now the Spurs won't have to worry about signing a second Rasho Nesterovich. Hopefully they can do a sign-and-trade for a SF or a PG, because I feel Bruce is going to decline quickly next season and I can't take another season of Jason 8-second Hart, Beno instant 8-0 run Udrih, or Nick Van Exel and his guaranteed And-1 defense.
Old 05-23-06, 02:48 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

I agree with baselinebum.. It does give the team option. A bad marriage is a bad marriage. Let's see how this plays out during the summer.
Old 05-23-06, 03:01 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSlicer
I think there really is more to this story then what 1 side is presenting. Its somewhere in the middle where Pop made some **** ups along with Nazr.
Well, like I said in another thread, Rasho is not playing a single minute either. Isn't Rasho the buddy of Pop? To me it's more about Pop's coaching strategy (a bad one) than he's personal problems with Nazr.
Old 05-23-06, 03:03 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseline bum
Jason 8-second Hart, Beno instant 8-0 run Udrih, or Nick Van Exel and his guaranteed And-1 defense.
LOLOL
Old 05-23-06, 03:06 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaSin2K4
LOLOL
OMG, that was the first Genuine laugh I've had tonight. Good stuff!

it's funny because it's true.
Old 05-23-06, 03:18 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Can we get Steven Jackson back? He would at least make a 3 pointer after he dribbled it off his shoe 2 feet under the basket.
Old 05-23-06, 03:29 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I wish we had pump faking Samaki Walker..GOAT
Old 05-24-06, 01:36 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

http://www.spursreport.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=55470 (MySA: Mohammed or Nesterovic likely to exit)
Old 05-24-06, 02:41 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurssheriff
Nazr had a chance to extend his contract with the Spurs. The moment he said he's take his chances in the free agent market and declined the offe, he got on Pop's sh*t list.
Not sure why Pop would be pissed since I would have advised Nazr not to accept that offer either. CBA limitations on the extension would have paid Nazr just a little more than what he is making now and he could get the same just signing someone's MLE offer this summer. It's not like the Spurs offer was some great deal.
What, Presti hasn't advised RC & Pop on the new CBA rules? no, wait, my mistake. The same rules applied in the last CBA deal as well.
Old 05-24-06, 02:46 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Don't forget the *wink, wink* . And no matter what anyone says. It does exist.
Old 05-24-06, 02:49 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Good riddance
Old 05-24-06, 02:50 PM
SpursReport Team Member

He needs to fire more 3 pointers.
Old 05-24-06, 02:51 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazr For 3
He needs to fire more 3 pointers.
Signed "Nazr For 3"

Old 05-24-06, 03:01 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

To me, it comes down to this: if he did say that, then good riddance. However, if he didn't... good riddance!!!!
fleetwood macbull (from a Bulls' board), on Andrés "Chapu" Nocioni: "Noc is like that guy from Monty Python. They can cut off his arms, his hands, his feet, then his legs, but he still comes rolling his torso at you like he's going to destroy you"
Old 05-24-06, 03:16 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Don't forget the *wink, wink* . And no matter what anyone says. It does exist.
it doesnt even matter. The majority if people in this forum over the last few weeks have wanted Nazr gone after this season anyway. Rasho too
Old 05-24-06, 03:44 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzG
it doesnt even matter. The majority if people in this forum over the last few weeks have wanted Nazr gone after this season anyway. Rasho too
That's the cold hard truth. I personally have never been a big Rasho fan and Nazr seemed to disappear to year.

Just hope we can fix our center situation. I trust that somehow the FO will do some great things over the summer.
Old 05-24-06, 03:56 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I can't say that I blame him. I'm not even a center on the Spurs and I'm hugely frustrated with the big guys sitting the whole time.

That said... he's nowhere near irreplaceable.
Old 05-24-06, 05:01 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Agreed.
funny game 3 and 4 were handed to mavs by refs late in the game
and spurs still came very close to beating mavs
when they lost they were close losses
would rasho and nazr made that much differnce to get the w I doubt it

no coaches or staff had any confidence in them
why would you risk it?
they both sucked late in the season
you play who is playing well late

rasho and nazr are both not needed with the spurs

everyone knew as soon as nazr was a fa that either nazr or rasho would be a spur not both

would not surpise me if both are gone if rasho could be traded

nazr was offered what the spurs thought he was worth
he did not like it so he sucked all year.........
Old 05-24-06, 05:08 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks
nazr was offered what the spurs thought he was worth
he did not like it so he sucked all year.........
BS!

He was offered what they could offer in an extension per league rules. Nothing more and nothing less.
Extensions are offered all the time by teams and 90% of the time the extension is declined by the player.
Old 05-24-06, 05:18 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Ironic that we win 2 titles with centers that suck so bad most can't wait for them to leave town... and we lose this year when Pop refuses to play the sucky centers.
Old 05-24-06, 05:24 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

that may be the most they could offer but they could have told him that is all they are willing to pay to even after this year
Old 05-24-06, 05:26 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
that may be the most they could offer but they could have told him that is all they are willing to pay to even after this year
Why would they do that?
Old 05-24-06, 05:31 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amente
BS!

He was offered what they could offer in an extension per league rules. Nothing more and nothing less.
Extensions are offered all the time by teams and 90% of the time the extension is declined by the player.
which is why I dont put much into the Spurs getting mad at Nazr turning it down. The Spurs knew they could only offer so much and most of the time the player will turn it down and opt for something bigger at the end of the season. No reason for Pop to put him in the doghouse for that. the Front office would have expected it to begin with. Nazr's play in the opportunities he did get this year had the most to do with things IMO
Old 05-24-06, 05:39 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

the spurs are over the lux tax 8 million or so already
is nazr worth getting over the lux tax more?

nazr is not worth more the mle imo
Old 05-24-06, 05:49 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Ironic that we win 2 titles with centers that suck so bad most can't wait for them to leave town... and we lose this year when Pop refuses to play the sucky centers.
Your point is well taken, though I quibble with a single detail...two titles were won with Robinson at center and one title was won with Nazr.

Again though, good point.
Old 05-24-06, 06:17 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Nazr had hands of stone and never rotated on defense as he should. If w are lucky maybe the Spurs can get someone to do a sign-and-trade deal for him. If not then adios big guy.
Old 05-24-06, 06:39 PM
SpursReport Rookie

who is nazr? sorry, i'm just a mavs fan
Old 05-24-06, 06:46 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbk
who is nazr? sorry, i'm just a mavs fan
Some guy who

1) wears Teflon mittens to basketball games and
2) always watches the ball on defense - the second in comes through the net
Old 05-24-06, 06:55 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Don't care what he said all that matters is that from the first day of pratice the guy heart was not in it. I don't realy understand being that it was his contract year and most players actualy play better but Nazz played terrible.

Pop gave him chance and all the guy would do is loose the ball or collect cheap fouls.
Old 05-24-06, 08:20 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

hey, nazr did terrific las year, but what about how this organization helped him? he was in new york! he coulda had all 15 wins or whatever it was this season. instead he won a ring.
Old 05-24-06, 08:53 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Spurs 2006
I am one of Nazr's biggest supporters. If what he said is true, then i'm kind of dissapointed that he said that but at the same time I don't blame him because he wasn't really given a chance in this series to contribute. But then again, He averaged 17 mins, 5.25 points and 3 rebounds vs the 4 games that we faced the Mavs in the regular season. so I dont know how much of a difference he would've made anyway.

but it's just weird that Dampier, Diop, Keith Van Horn couldn't contain Duncan yet they still got playing time , yet we couldn't do the same with NAzr and Rasho guarding Dirk. But that's :

Watch the Mavs vs Suns series....Diop and Dampier wont get much playing time because the player they will guard which is Tim Thomas will be above the 3pt line which they will not be able to guard...and the game will be a fast pace which will wear these 2 out..If Mavs lose game 1 A J he probably play rest of series without a true center....
Old 05-24-06, 09:37 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I'd keep Nazi for 2.5-3.0 million but not more than that.. Too inconsistent and is fumbled fingered worse than Malik..

Also, if he did say that, it shows he is not a Spurs kind of guy... only upset because he thinks his pine time is going to cost him on his next contract.. What kind of submission to Allah is that!?
Old 05-25-06, 10:28 AM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:

The offer was for five years and there is a minimum number of years that have to be offered.

[quote=Ducks]the spurs are over the lux tax 8 million or so already
is nazr worth getting over the lux tax more?
{/QUOTE]

Which is why Barry was almost traded. They trade Rasho or Barry and they end up paying less than they currently are even with Nazr getting a salary increase.

Old 05-25-06, 10:37 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

He was grat last yar and Pop even said that not for him we don't win a championship - what happened this year? Did he just not come with game, shape?
Old 05-25-06, 10:43 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Wow!
Old 05-25-06, 10:44 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAD
He was grat last yar and Pop even said that not for him we don't win a championship - what happened this year? Did he just not come with game, shape?
Malik was great during 03 too. Once you're in Pop's doghouse it's very hard to get out. I think that the 3 Nazr took during the 1st game of the playoffs really 'did it'. Pop was not happy to play him even when he's forced to put him as starter around the all-star break, then the heavy criticizm followed the 3 seem to be an indicator that Nazr would be in doghouse for the rest of the playoffs. And it showed.
Old 05-25-06, 10:48 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Nazr's subpar play started in training camp when he didnt do well and got beat out of his job

Nazr didnt seem into things from the start of the year. Strange for a guy in a contract year. Claim doghouse or whatever but the guy wasnt close to his 2005 form this season.
Old 05-25-06, 10:54 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Nazr's subpar play started in training camp when he didnt do well and got beat out of his job

Nazr didnt seem into things from the start of the year. Strange for a guy in a contract year. Claim doghouse or whatever but the guy wasnt close to his 2005 form this season.
Yeah right. Horry wasn't close to his 2005 playoffs form either, why's he keep seeing mintues? NVE wasn't close to any of his NBA form either, why's he keep getting mintues? Give me a break. Nazr was playing aggressive during the 1st game of the playoffs against the Kings, then he hit that 3 and Pop jumped on him. Even asked Bowen to speak out (Bowen is always Pop's messenger). It was obvious.
Old 05-25-06, 11:04 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Yeah right. Horry wasn't close to his 2005 playoffs form either, why's he keep seeing mintues? NVE wasn't close to any of his NBA form either, why's he keep getting mintues? Give me a break. Nazr was playing aggressive during the 1st game of the playoffs against the Kings, then he hit that 3 and Pop jumped on him. Even asked Bowen to speak out (Bowen is always Pop's messenger). It was obvious.
It doesnt matter. Pop explained why he played like he did against Dallas and you just dont agree with it. You dont like Pop which is obvious. Where is the proof that he asked Bowen to say something? Just like this nonsense that Pop put Nazr on his Sh!T list because he turned down the extension when SA could only offer a limited about per the CBA and most any player would do exactly what Nazr did in waiting. The Front office would have known Nazr would turn it down because anyone would at that point.

Nazr didnt play that well this year and most people here wanted him gone before the playoffs even started

Robert Horry is one of the most clutch players of all time and usually brings it in the playoffs. There is a serious difference in Pop wanting to still go with Horry and Nazr who isnt proven what Horry has
Old 05-25-06, 11:16 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
The Spurs decided that they were going to make sure not to give him any opportunities to showcase for a better contract somewhere.
Dusty, I find that hard to believe. Why would they waste time on a negative personal vendetta when they are trying to defend a championship. You would think that Pop would have used Nazr if they thought he was their best option rather than let him rot on the bench when he could help.

Nazr got out of the gate super slowly with his personal life keeping him off the court. Then he got his starting job back largely due to Rasho sucking. Then he managed to suck even more than Rasho, so he got demoted again. And then smallball...
Old 05-25-06, 12:44 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
It doesnt matter.
It's your most common response nowadays. You can't admit that there's unfair treatment for Nazr even though it's obvious. You never even want to talk about why Nazr got back the starting job. You never want to talk about why Nazr played well and aggressive during 1st game against the Kings and suddenly he's not getting any minutes. You can't. You can only say that 'well overall he doesn't have a good year'. That's it. You can't talk about the specifics.

Quote:
Robert Horry is one of the most clutch players of all time and usually brings it in the playoffs. There is a serious difference in Pop wanting to still go with Horry and Nazr who isnt proven what Horry has
Going to Horry First is one thing. Going to Horry after he's been playing crap for more than a few games is a completely different thing. In fact you just admit that there's a difference between the treatment between Nazr and Horry. I'm sorry but that's just not right. Horry got game after game after game, Nazr got DNP after DNP after DNP. And Rasho too. How can you explain why Rasho getting DNP after DNP after DNP? You can't. You can only focus on Nazr because it's easier, but you can't talk about Rasho. It's too hard to show you've a valid point when you talk about both. Rasho was in Pop's doghouse too. Or you want to say that 'Rasho has not been playing well all year' too?
Old 05-25-06, 01:05 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I'm not too concerned with a supposed 'unfair' treatment for a grown man making millions of dollars playing basketball. They dude has it good, he will go start on some other team and make big bucks. Get over it.

The guy sucked, and he rode the pine because of it.

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.
Old 05-25-06, 01:13 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
It's your most common response nowadays. You can't admit that there's unfair treatment for Nazr even though it's obvious. You never even want to talk about why Nazr got back the starting job. You never want to talk about why Nazr played well and aggressive during 1st game against the Kings and suddenly he's not getting any minutes. You can't. You can only say that 'well overall he doesn't have a good year'. That's it. You can't talk about the specifics.

Going to Horry First is one thing. Going to Horry after he's been playing crap for more than a few games is a completely different thing. In fact you just admit that there's a difference between the treatment between Nazr and Horry. I'm sorry but that's just not right. Horry got game after game after game, Nazr got DNP after DNP after DNP. And Rasho too. How can you explain why Rasho getting DNP after DNP after DNP? You can't. You can only focus on Nazr because it's easier, but you can't talk about Rasho. It's too hard to show you've a valid point when you talk about both. Rasho was in Pop's doghouse too. Or you want to say that 'Rasho has not been playing well all year' too?
For the Spurs-Dallas series, I think it has more to do with Pop wanting to really play small-ball than putting Nazr in the doghouse. I think Pop feels that the best way to beat the mavs is to play small-ball than the traditional twin towers line up. He's almost right too cuz the spurs were just a few bounces from advancing to the west finals.
Old 05-25-06, 01:19 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
You can't admit that there's unfair treatment for Nazr
I dont think he was treated unfairly. He lost his job in camp..after not playing well....got it back because Rasho wasnt doing very well...and then struggled again worse than Rasho

it was a battle between Rasho and Nazr for who sucked least and its been the same way in this forum going back to last season. the debates have been endless and other than Coyotefan I dont think anyone thought either Center was very good

I dont believe the Pop didnt play Nazr against the Mavs because of some personal vendetta. He didnt play Rasho either. He didnt think they matched up..period. Spurs fans can debate that all summer but he was very clear why he did what he did. Some just dont agree with it being the best course

He thought Smallball was the answer. You can hate Pop all you want but I find the notion insane that he would somehow sacrifice a title because of something against Nazr. He thought small ball gave SA the best chance to advance. Fans can agree or disagree but Spare me the "Nazr was treated unfairly" stuff.

The Facts are the majority of Spurs fans would like to see Nazr AND Rasho gone if you go by this and other Spurs forums..so this whole "Did Nazr get treated bad" topic this has turned into seems pretty pointless
Old 05-25-06, 01:28 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
I dont think he was treated unfairly. He lost his job in camp..after not playing well....got it back because Rasho wasnt doing very well...and then struggled again worse than Rasho

it was a battle between Rasho and Nazr for who sucked least and its been the same way in this forum going back to last season. the debates have been endless and other than Coyotefan I dont think anyone thought either Center was very good

I dont believe the Pop didnt play Nazr against the Mavs because of some personal vendetta. He didnt play Rasho either. He didnt think they matched up..period. Spurs fans can debate that all summer but he was very clear why he did what he did. Some just dont agree with it being the best course

He thought Smallball was the answer. You can hate Pop all you want but I find the notion insane that he would somehow sacrifice a title because of something against Nazr. He thought small ball gave SA the best chance to advance. Fans can agree or disagree but Spare me the "Nazr was treated unfairly" stuff.

The Facts are the majority of Spurs fans would like to see Nazr AND Rasho gone if you go by this and other Spurs forums..so this whole "Did Nazr get treated bad" topic this has turned into seems pretty pointless
Unfortunately Horry seemed to suck worse than either of them in the Dallas series (what limited minutes even he played).

I agree that, if the Centers had played inspired ball this season Pop would probably not have clung so rigidly to the small-ball concept. It is unfortunate IMO as I think they still could have helped us win the series, but they did make their own bed to lay in.
Old 05-25-06, 01:28 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Oh I want both Nazr and Rasho gone. But that's because Pop's not going to change just like with Malik. Even when Malik played well he'd not get any playing time. It's very similar situation. Trade them before they're stucked in Pop's doghouses. But it's not pointless to talk about this, because like you said, we can't affect anyone in the FO but this is just what discussion forums do - discuss.

Quote:
The problem with this argument is that Horry is not small either. He's old and slow, he's shorter but he's not a 'small' player. Also going small and see if it will work is ok. But never try a big lineup in 7 games? Not even half a game? That's even more insane than you said I'm 'insane'.

Quote:
Yeap. They sucked so bad that we played 4 on 5 for the whole season, and yet we still win 63 games, the most in Spurs history, with TD's bad foot and Manu's injures here and there. Yeap. They sucked but somehow the other 4 guys play so well the league should be embarrassed because they let Spurs win game after game playing 4 on 5.