News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 05-23-06, 09:57 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

not any coach could have done what pop's done for this franchise. he's one of the reaons tim duncan keeps re-signing here, so appreciate what he brings and accept the losses that come. waht about .4? he doubled kobe. stupid move? phil said he woulda done the same exact thing in his book. the bigs didn't play big, and ended up as just a liability.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-24-06, 03:42 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Pops insistence on small ball killed this series for us :op (and yes I complained as such even after games 5&6).

I LOVE Pop and hope he coachs the Spurs til Dunc retires...but I also hope he chocks this up to a learning experience.

In the 4 reg season games the Spurs WON BOTH where Rasho and Nazr together played over 34 min. We LOST BOTH that they together played under 20. Granted reg season isn't post season.

We were subject to mismatchs in this series even playing small ball. Every other play the Mavs screened with their PG so Dirk could shoot over Parker .

Pop should have, for atleast stretchs, had Nazr or Rasho cover Center, alternately send Duncan out on Dirk or to pressure Howard and have Bowen swap between the two as well as fouls and matchups dictated.

Look at the sheer # of shot attempts the Mavs got. We needed rebounds and rebounds and blocks and altered shots.

How does the BETTER team (and we are BETTER) not win a series? When 1/2 the team isn't even allowed off the bench!

People complain about us being old. Old wouldn't have been on anyones radar if our depth would have been utilized efficiently.

No Rasho, Nazr, and Beno are not all-stars, they are not even going to consistently perform at their highest level. But they could EASILY match what Horry brought this series (matador defense that bruised my forehead). Any of the 3 are fully capable of having a breakout impactful performance.

The biggest problem with this series loss to me is the lack of trust Pop had for these players and the teams primary defensive principles.

Its not just us who has to match the Mavs athleticism. The Mavs could also have had to match our size and physicality. Atleast TRY it when your starters are busy coughing up a 20 point lead playing 1st quarter sieve defense.

This team is oozing talent. Beno doesn't (contrary to alot of peoples opinion based exclusively on him displaying nerves as a rookie in a FINALS appearance --how dare he!) suck. Nazr has shown the capacity to be quite effective especially when adrenalized (and if we're being called for a f*ckin foul every time down the court ANYWAY it would be highly unlikely he would hurt us). Rasho is not quick....he does not look for his offense... but he can initimidate ANYONE in the lane and block and alter shots ..even from PGs. He knows when to double and where to be to cover the baselines.

These guys deserved an opportunity to atleast play some minutes in this series. I don't care how off they were coming down the reg season stretch.

It was Pops call...and he saw things differently for whatever reason. I respect that...but, even conceding him his expertise and experience, I DON'T agree with it.

Here's to a better year next year, fair seeding, refs that don't suck, good aquisitions, an injury free reg season, and an 07' rematch with the Mavs in the playoffs.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-24-06, 03:49 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernatural Anesthetist
Pops insistence on small ball killed this series for us :op (and yes I complained as such even after games 5&6).

I LOVE Pop and hope he coachs the Spurs til Dunc retires...but I also hope he chocks this up to a learning experience.

In the 4 reg season games the Spurs WON BOTH where Rasho and Nazr together played over 34 min. We LOST BOTH that they together played under 20. Granted reg season isn't post season.

We were subject to mismatchs in this series even playing small ball. Every other play the Mavs screened with their PG so Dirk could shoot over Parker .

Pop should have, for atleast stretchs, had Nazr or Rasho cover Center, alternately send Duncan out on Dirk or to pressure Howard and have Bowen swap between the two as well as fouls and matchups dictated.

Look at the sheer # of shot attempts the Mavs got. We needed rebounds and rebounds and blocks and altered shots.

How does the BETTER team (and we are BETTER) not win a series? When 1/2 the team isn't even allowed off the bench!

People complain about us being old. Old wouldn't have been on anyones radar if our depth would have been utilized efficiently.

No Rasho, Nazr, and Beno are not all-stars, they are not even going to consistently perform at their highest level. But they could EASILY match what Horry brought this series (matador defense that bruised my forehead). Any of the 3 are fully capable of having a breakout impactful performance.

The biggest problem with this series loss to me is the lack of trust Pop had for these players and the teams primary defensive principles.

Its not just us who has to match the Mavs athleticism. The Mavs could also have had to match our size and physicality. Atleast TRY it when your starters are busy coughing up a 20 point lead playing 1st quarter sieve defense.

This team is oozing talent. Beno doesn't (contrary to alot of peoples opinion based exclusively on him displaying nerves as a rookie in a FINALS appearance --how dare he!) suck. Nazr has shown the capacity to be quite effective especially when adrenalized (and if we're being called for a f*ckin foul every time down the court ANYWAY it would be highly unlikely he would hurt us). Rasho is not quick....he does not look for his offense... but he can initimidate ANYONE in the lane and block and alter shots ..even from PGs. He knows when to double and where to be to cover the baselines.

These guys deserved an opportunity to atleast play some minutes in this series. I don't care how off they were coming down the reg season stretch.

It was Pops call...and he saw things differently for whatever reason. I respect that...but, even conceding him his expertise and experience, I DON'T agree with it.

Here's to a better year next year, fair seeding, refs that don't suck, good aquisitions, an injury free reg season, and an 07' rematch with the Mavs in the playoffs.

It's post like these that make all the work we do here worthwhile.

Way to bring it!
Old 05-24-06, 03:59 PM
SpursReport Rookie

"Pop should have, for atleast stretchs, had Nazr or Rasho cover Center, alternately send Duncan out on Dirk or to pressure Howard and have Bowen swap between the two as well as fouls and matchups dictated."

Are you kidding me? TD would have fouled out within 5 mins if he had to guard Dirk or Josh. That's exactly why we went small ball!
Pop was right and his strategy was PERFECT. If Manu had scored on his final drive in regulation (which he does 99% of the time) or TD got the call when he tried to tip it in we would have won.
IT'S NOT POP'S FAULT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-24-06, 04:04 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangelis
"Pop should have, for atleast stretchs, had Nazr or Rasho cover Center, alternately send Duncan out on Dirk or to pressure Howard and have Bowen swap between the two as well as fouls and matchups dictated."

Are you kidding me? TD would have fouled out within 5 mins if he had to guard Dirk or Josh. That's exactly why we went small ball!
Pop was right and his strategy was PERFECT. If Manu had scored on his final drive in regulation (which he does 99% of the time) or TD got the call when he tried to tip it in we would have won.
IT'S NOT POP'S FAULT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1st team all defense fouls out in 5 mins against Nowitsky and Howard?

Oh yee of little faith and even less belief. Duncan is a much better defender than you give him credit for.
Old 05-24-06, 04:11 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
1st team all defense fouls out in 5 mins against Nowitsky and Howard?

Oh yee of little faith and even less belief. Duncan is a much better defender than you give him credit for.
If you remember (I'm not sure which game it was) TD got two fouls within 2 mins when he ended up guarding Dirk, and Pop had to intervene immediately. It's not coz he's not a good defender, it's a mismatch because Dirk is quicker...
Old 05-24-06, 04:17 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangelis
If you remember (I'm not sure which game it was) TD got two fouls within 2 mins when he ended up guarding Dirk, and Pop had to intervene immediately. It's not coz he's not a good defender, it's a mismatch because Dirk is quicker...

Vangelis...if you have another big man for help "D" Tim can channel Dirk to the help without having to attempt staying in front of him (which results in the fouls). Tims length would be effective against the jumpers Dirk hits with such astonishing consistency, and his position would influence Dirks drive and who, on the Spurs, would be responsible to help.

I am in NO WAY advocating having Tim play Dirk in 1 on 1 ball. Its called team defense and Tim, being 1st team all-defense, KNOWS how to use the system to his advantage.

Personally what i fear most about Nowitski is the outside shot. Put some height on that and make him put it on the floor and all of a sudden he's vulnerable to smaller players stealing the ball and, if all else fails, your back up big at the rim.

Last edited by Supernatural Anesthetist; 05-24-06 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-24-06, 04:39 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Personally what i fear most about Nowitski is the outside shot. Put some height on that and make him put it on the floor and all of a sudden he's vulnerable to smaller players stealing the ball and, if all else fails, your back up big at the rim.
Exactly.

Try as best you can to turn him into a driver... And when he does shoot, he'll have to shoot over a big man.

I agree with everything you said, except for one difference. I think Rasho or Nazr should have guarded Dirk (particularly Rasho), so at least he isnt just shooting over the top of our guards. Stay with Duncan guarding Damp/Diop/etc, so he doesnt get in foul trouble. I dont think it would have been such a "mismatch" as some think. Rasho would just need to space him less than normal, in trying to make him go away from his jumper, even if it meant Dirk getting by Rasho/Nazr.

At least with Rasho/Nazr on Dirk, we have somebody boxing him out. How many times did we see Dirk get huge offensive rebounds? How many times did we see Dirk take it to the rim with only Duncan and 4 guards to stop him?
Old 05-24-06, 04:49 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCdac
Exactly.

Try as best you can to turn him into a driver... And when he does shoot, he'll have to shoot over a big man.

I agree with everything you said, except for one difference. I think Rasho or Nazr should have guarded Dirk (particularly Rasho), so at least he isnt just shooting over the top of our guards. Stay with Duncan guarding Damp/Diop/etc, so he doesnt get in foul trouble. I dont think it would have been such a "mismatch" as some think. Rasho would just need to space him less than normal, in trying to make him go away from his jumper, even if it meant Dirk getting by Rasho/Nazr.

At least with Rasho/Nazr on Dirk, we have somebody boxing him out. How many times did we see Dirk get huge offensive rebounds? How many times did we see Dirk take it to the rim with only Duncan and 4 guards to stop him?

With as far out as Dirk plays sometimes I don't know that Rasho has the athleticism to follow him around out there. Nazr has the athleticism but lacks the insight into the defense to ensure he has the position needed to maximize the effectiveness of the double team. Its not as simple as it sounds...any old big man can't pull it off. If it were that easy Dirk wouldn't be 1st team NBA.
Old 05-24-06, 04:59 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
With as far out as Dirk plays sometimes I don't know that Rasho has the athleticism to follow him around out there. Nazr has the athleticism but lacks the insight into the defense to ensure he has the position needed to maximize the effectiveness of the double team. Its not as simple as it sounds...any old big man can't pull it off. If it were that easy Dirk wouldn't be 1st team NBA.
I'm not implying that it would be an easy job for either Rasho or Nazr... But, really, do you see Dirk being much easier for TD to cover? I sure dont. He's not really big in the athletic depertment either. That would be a nightmare matchup imo (TD on Dirk). I see TD fouling out way too early.

We just never altered any of Dirks shots, or made it hard on him, aside from Bruce's noble efforts... I think a big man would have done that.

And like I said, we had NOBODY to keep him off the glass.
Old 05-24-06, 05:20 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCdac
I'm not implying that it would be an easy job for either Rasho or Nazr... But, really, do you see Dirk being much easier for TD to cover? I sure dont. He's not really big in the athletic depertment either. That would be a nightmare matchup imo (TD on Dirk). I see TD fouling out way too early.

We just never altered any of Dirks shots, or made it hard on him, aside from Bruce's noble efforts... I think a big man would have done that.

And like I said, we had NOBODY to keep him off the glass.

Ummm.... see post #110.
Old 05-24-06, 05:38 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

But you dont think Dirk would take it RIGHT AT Duncan? You saw how many times he was getting to the line. The way they Iso Dirk all the time, Duncan would HAVE to guard Dirk one-on-one... I'd much rather the inevitable fouls come at the expense of Rasho/Nazr than our player keeping us in the game, let alone the series... I guess we just disagree.

Either way though, it would have been nice to have two big men in the game eh?