News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-06, 12:56 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Avery is an effin' joke!

"It's just really, really, really tough when you're fighting an uphill battle at the free throw line every night. And we're the people that never complain but...tonight the officiating was just...[looks of camera] what? oh I can't say that? Ok. Next question."

Avery is ******* dead to me.

That little roach ***** will never have his number hanging in our rafters.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-20-06, 01:40 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Avery can eat a fat ****!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-20-06, 01:49 AM
SpursReport Team Member

uphill battle at the free throw line?? almost our entire spurs lineup was out with 3 fouls at the half... he was just a little emotional... doubt he meant anything by it.. Plus, he's got mark cuban as a boss... what do you expect
Old 05-20-06, 01:52 AM
SpursReport Rookie

I am sorry to hear you say that Avery. You are better than that. We know that the refs are clods, but you should hold your peace like Pop did. Hopefully when this thing is over, the hard feelings from our SPurs fans will pass.

Buckaroo Banzai
Old 05-20-06, 01:57 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Spurs were the aggressors tonight, that is why we got more calls tonight. NBA TV says that throughout the series, dallas got 172 FT and the Spurs 162.

Does Avery resent SA because we cut him on X-mas eve? (It was the Spurs who cut him right?)
SpursReport Team Starter

I'm honestly glad that Manu didn't get his number. F that piece of ****.
SpursReport Team Bench

AJ is a rookie coach. Get over it and show some class Spurs fans. He'll mature in his career.
Old 05-20-06, 01:58 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousspirit

Does Avery resent SA because we cut him on X-mas eve? (It was the Spurs who cut him right?)
.....and yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATH
AJ is a rookie coach. Get over it and show some class Spurs fans. He'll mature in his career.
He's a sophmore coach, and no we won't.
Old 05-20-06, 02:01 AM
Dr. Doom!!!

I hate that dude now, and have the whole series........ He is dead to me, he sucks and did as a player too, he was average and hit one big shot for us to win a title, but we would have won anywyas if he missed it in 6 games...... Elliot >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Avery, way more class now, he has joined the darkside and stays there now.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 05-20-06, 02:03 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

For me at least Avery no longer has any connection to the SPurs organization. I cheered when he won COtY, but the things he's said this series and the way he has composed himself; he's just another coach I hate of a team I hate. I'll root for Mike Brown over his career and hope he does well, but I won't give a thought to Avery expect on the days the Mavs play the Spurs, and I wouldn't shed a tear if he left the league tomorrow.
Old 05-20-06, 02:03 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATH
Avery Johnson is a 41 y.o. man, mature enough to know better than he's been acting lately. No excuses necessary.
fleetwood macbull (from a Bulls' board), on Andrés "Chapu" Nocioni: "Noc is like that guy from Monty Python. They can cut off his arms, his hands, his feet, then his legs, but he still comes rolling his torso at you like he's going to destroy you"
Old 05-20-06, 02:19 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by efrem1
I am sorry to hear you say that Avery. You are better than that. We know that the refs are clods, but you should hold your peace like Pop did. Hopefully when this thing is over, the hard feelings from our SPurs fans will pass.
No, my hard feelings will not pass. Avery played here. Any player that plays here knows that the Spurs get no respect.
Old 05-20-06, 02:35 AM
SpursReport Team Member

If I added them up right i got the spurs at
196 to 192 on FTA total
so an average of

32.6 FTA a game for spurs to 32 FTA a game for mavs

.6 FTA is an uphill battle?
Old 05-20-06, 02:42 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Hmmm, and ppl wonder why Fin's getting booed.
Old 05-20-06, 02:44 AM
SpursReport Rookie

I guess after being the Mavs' coach, Mark Cuban and the other scum in Dallas are rubbing their evil off on him.
Old 05-20-06, 02:53 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

NBA TV said that in this series, dallas has gone to the FT line 172 times and the Spurs have gone 162 times. Not that this tells a story, but they have received the benefit of the whistle.
Old 05-20-06, 02:54 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousspirit
NBA TV said that in this series, dallas has gone to the FT line 172 times and the Spurs have gone 162 times. Not that this tells a story, but they have received the benefit of the whistle.
I must have added wrong its very late
Old 05-20-06, 02:54 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Old 05-20-06, 02:56 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Avery is doing his job. It may help the Mavs get a few more calls, but let's face it, Game 7 is and always has been decided by the players. I can't hate Avery, or any Mav for that matter...wait wait....ok, Cuban. But other then him, I have nothing but respect for the Mavs. Avery is a great coach. Period.
Old 05-20-06, 02:57 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capek
That little roach ***** will never have his number hanging in our rafters.

The little roach is what I will forever refer to him as. So Stackhouse is Geico, because he resembles the Geico Cavemen and AJ is the little roach because, well you know.
Old 05-20-06, 02:59 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Don't get too upset at Avery. All he is doing is his job. It's as simple as that. He is trying to work the league/refs a bit. He would be a poor coach not to try. But he isn't go crazy with it. Its very subtle. Its closer to something Pop would do then someone like Phil Jackson.
Old 05-20-06, 02:59 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by acehbk
Avery is doing his job. It may help the Mavs get a few more calls, but let's face it, Game 7 is and always has been decided by the players. I can't hate Avery, or any Mav for that matter...wait wait....ok, Cuban. But other then him, I have nothing but respect for the Mavs. Avery is a great coach. Period.
I agree. He's just doing his job, supporting and protecting his team. Pop probably wouldn't have done it, but that's just his mentality. AJ is still a class act to me, as was the case when he defended the Riverwalk.
3.) I will never, in any situation, argue when I can discuss
Old 05-20-06, 03:01 AM
SpursReport Rookie

**** Avery, he's dead! and nothing you guys say will bring him back!
Old 05-20-06, 03:10 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I have nothing but respect for Avery, he is the reason that Mavs are where they are. Just doing his job. I absolutely hate him during this series but he still has my repect and I will never forget what he did for the Spurs. You can hate him for trying to lead the Mavs past the Spurs but you definitly have to repect the job he has done
Old 05-20-06, 03:17 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Horry
**** Avery, he's dead! and nothing you guys say will bring him back!
That's the kind of attitude Mavs fans seem to have for Finley.

You want to be like a Mavs fan????
Old 05-20-06, 04:36 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Avery is a great coach. Period.
Not if he loses a 3-1 lead.
Old 05-20-06, 04:54 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by omax
That's the kind of attitude Mavs fans seem to have for Finley.

You want to be like a Mavs fan????
What did they base that on? What are we basing it on? A bit of a difference imo.

But ya, the moment and emotion has passed, though it still feels like I just found out there's no such thing as Santa Claus. I don't really hate AJ, it's just that I'll never be able to believe that he's a good guy through and through again.
Old 05-20-06, 05:47 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Even David Robinson has to be swearing after hearing his former little general crying about foul calls.
Old 05-20-06, 06:11 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

Avery you figgin tud **** - Game 3 & 4 were gifts!!!!!Tim and Manu fouled out on fanthom calls idiot!
Old 05-20-06, 06:13 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capek
What did they base that on? What are we basing it on? A bit of a difference imo.

But ya, the moment and emotion has passed, though it still feels like I just found out there's no such thing as Santa Claus. I don't really hate AJ, it's just that I'll never be able to believe that he's a good guy through and through again.
Because he complained about the refs? The good or bad nature of his character is determined by that? Thank God you're not God or else we'd all be damned.
Old 05-20-06, 06:15 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R
Because he complained about the refs? The good or bad nature of his character is determined by that? Thank God you're not God or else we'd all be damned.
You're using the reasoning that I'm not God to make a point??
Old 05-20-06, 07:55 AM
SpursReport Team Member

At least he didn't say your **** was sand-blasted
Old 05-20-06, 08:46 AM
SpursReport Rookie

a.) I do have a lot of respect for Avery as a player and even more as a manager. He has single-handedly transformed the way the mavs play and deserves a lot of credit. He is doing a great job.

b.) However... his jersey should NEVER hang from our rafters. He chose to join the dark side and is overall a lot more important to the Mavs organisation than to the Spurs. He is the enemy now. So he can **** OFF!!!
Old 05-20-06, 08:57 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I hope they NEVER ever retire his jersey here in S.A.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He can retire a Mav for all I care.
Good riddance!
AJ is dead to me too!
I'm ashamed to say I once thought highly of him.
We are seeing the true colors of the man who once said he bled black and silver, and it isn't those colors!
Coach, or no coach, of an opposing team, he could still act with a modicum of class, but Noooooooooooooooooooooo, not AJ.
AJ is dead to me.

Last edited by xmas97; 05-20-06 at 09:01 AM.
Old 05-20-06, 09:27 AM
SpursReport Rookie

AJ is a good coach period, you can't argue coattails or anything else there. But just to say he's dead to you blah blah blah is crap. It's devoid of intellectual discussion and frankly I'm amazed many of you sit here and condone this BS. Of course just so we're clear here I'm just voicing my HFO and your certainly free to carry on with this thread about one of the key guys that got us to our first trophy. And if you don't think he wasn't instrumental then you should watch the '99 series again.

Carry on with the ridiculous bashing and hate mail because he complained about calls, like every other coach in the GD league.
Old 05-20-06, 09:36 AM
SpursReport Rookie

I am a huge spurs fan........but i am getting so irritated by all the avery haters in here...get a life seiously.........Memo to everyone...Avery Johnson is the Coach of the Dallas Mavericks!....what exactly has he done to the spurs, the spurs fans, or the city of san antonio that has been so bad...He is an intense little guy, that wants to win badly just like he did for the Spurs in 1999..........what is he supposed to do to satisfy you....do you want him to fix the games so the spurs win? do you want him to cry for the spurs if the Mavs win? If the mavs win on monday, should he be banned from San Antonio forever?............This is an intense hard fought playoff series, that has gotten testy at times, and the opposing coach happens to be one of the most beloved players in Spurs history....if this series changes your previous opinion of Avery, you are completely immature.
Old 05-20-06, 09:46 AM
SpursReport Rookie

He has to show some class

Pop could have easily complained about the refs after several games but never did. AJ tries to blame the refs for his team's lack of mental toughness.

THAT'S WHAT HE HAS TO DO
Old 05-20-06, 09:59 AM
SpursReport Rookie

avery is a gamesman and is doing everything he can to give his team an edge. he did the same thing in 2003 when he said that the spurs had "a boy trying to do what a man did" in reference to tony taking his place. do i agree with what he's doing...no! however, he's making his voice heard, letting the league and the refs know how he feels and trying to get an advantage for his players. i don't think that if he was in SA he would do the same thing. you didn't hear any kind of this stuff when he was here. the organization is having an influence on him...it is CUBAN afterall.
Old 05-20-06, 10:02 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omax
Don't get too upset at Avery. All he is doing is his job. It's as simple as that. He is trying to work the league/refs a bit. He would be a poor coach not to try. But he isn't go crazy with it. Its very subtle. Its closer to something Pop would do then someone like Phil Jackson.
I see what you are saying, but I can't buy it after the last two weeks here in Dallas. These guys are the biggest hypocrites. They call us the San Antonio Sobs and say that we are a bunch of whiners and just make excuses for why we are losing. They claim we are sobbing and then they do the same thing, but try and mask it and say that they are not as if they are any more justified than we are for complaining about calls. He is a hypocrite to way it they way he said it and we should expose it for the hypocrosy that it is.
Old 05-20-06, 10:11 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by acehbk

Well, OK, not a "great" coach yet, but a very good one.
Bottom line, AJ is doing his job (working the refs, trying to motivate his players, pleasing his boss, etc.). AJ is a Maverick now because Mark Cuban signs his paycheck...that is how it goes in pro sports and life.
This series has been outstanding and emotions are running high on both sides. Michael Finley did so much for the Dallas Mavericks while he was there, he was the face of the franchise for years and last night, Maverick fan was booing him out of the building every time he touched the ball. That was disgusting! I hope we can be better than them. Remember how you felt about AJ before this series started.
Old 05-20-06, 10:12 AM
SpursReport Team Member

The guy chose to go work for Cuban and the mavs. Of all organizations, why the Mavs. Money talks i guess.. But I never thought Avery would stoop to this level. Yea he defended the Riverwalk, but he is now the enemy and works for a guy that regularly complains about the officiating to the nba, now he's doing it on t.v.? Cuban's bs is rubbing off on avery. And I'm really dissappointed in that fact.
Old 05-20-06, 10:32 AM
SpursReport Rookie

As someone already pointed out in another thread that losing bring out the true color and AJ's showing his. Look back @ how the Spurs carry themselves from top to bottom during the years even when they lost or were losing in the playoffs. They never complain and often time even gave credit to their opponents as this is how the Spurs draw motivations from.

I'll say it again, TD was the only difference maker (with some help from DRob I guess) in the '99 title run but now he will have Manu & hopefully TP soon to cover his back. I was actually hoping AJ would miss that shot vs the Knicks so we can win the championship in front of the home crowd. But ....

PF
Old 05-20-06, 10:56 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmf
As someone already pointed out in another thread that losing bring out the true color and AJ's showing his. Look back @ how the Spurs carry themselves from top to bottom during the years even when they lost or were losing in the playoffs. They never complain and often time even gave credit to their opponents as this is how the Spurs draw motivations from.

I'll say it again, TD was the only difference maker (with some help from DRob I guess) in the '99 title run but now he will have Manu & hopefully TP soon to cover his back. I was actually hoping AJ would miss that shot vs the Knicks so we can win the championship in front of the home crowd. But ....

PF
"true color"? ...because he complained about refs?....you avery haters are hilarious................after game 3 if pop would have complained about refs, everybody in here would be saying how they were happy Pop made comments about the atrocious officiating...many people in here were upset that Pop did not comment....but because he didnt , and now the Spurs win the last two...everyone in here is saying how pop has all this integrity, and that avery is the worst...How old are you?.........Avery has coached a hell of a series. if we didn't have pop i would love to have avery as our coach...He is a leader and advocate for his team The Dallas Mavericks (not the san antonio spurs)....people who can't seperate there emotions about wanting to win this series and their attitude toward avery, need to get a better perspective on life.

Go Spurs
Old 05-20-06, 11:23 AM
SpursReport Rookie

And yet Pop did NOT complain about the calls in POSTGAME interviews. Only some Spurs fans & media people did.

Avery did not out-coach Pop, he has younger, quicker guns and yet Pop's small ball lineup is finally catching up, taking shape, & gaining advantage with every game played and the trend would only continue. Pipe-dream, AJ will not be coaching the Spurs, not in TD's professional lifetime & you can continue to adore AJ's coaching ability as a Mavs fan if you want.

Btw, don't bother asking how old I'm for I've been a Spurs fan probably for more years than your age anyway.

PF

Last edited by pmf; 05-20-06 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-20-06, 11:37 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzarector7
I hate that dude now, and have the whole series........ He is dead to me, he sucks and did as a player too, he was average and hit one big shot for us to win a title, but we would have won anywyas if he missed it in 6 games...... Elliot >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Avery, way more class now, he has joined the darkside and stays there now.
DARTH AVERY...

I actually never liked him as a player that much. He's not a bad coach but his post game interviews have been HORIBLE. But in one VERY positive thing about him is that he cares for people and had the curtousy to shake my hand with a big smile one day at a spurs pre-game shoot out when he saw me just walking around the players on the sidelines. So Avery is very 50-50 at best...
Old 05-20-06, 11:39 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

No reason to be upset with AJ. He is the Mavs coach and he is trying everything within his power to gain the upper hand and win the series. Would you expect less?

Give him a break.
Old 05-20-06, 11:42 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pessimist
Actually -- the Spurs were going to give Avery's number to Manu -- but Spurs fans called in droves complaining.

It pretty much should tell you what the Spurs core group thinks about Avery. His number retired in San Antonio? Don't bet on it. It wasn't going to happen -- even before this playoff series.
Funny...
Manu is one of the PRIMARY reasons that we have 2 of the 3 championchips while AJ is a partial reason why we have the other one...

and you can bet that #20 will be retired FOR SURE one day!
Old 05-20-06, 11:49 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzarector7
he was average and hit one big shot for us to win a title, but we would have won anyways if he missed it.....
That's my favorite thing to tell people about Avery.....
Old 05-20-06, 11:50 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Man.. such disrespect for the little general. I can't beleive it.
Old 05-20-06, 11:52 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurs2400
Man.. such disrespect for the little general. I can't beleive it.
Keep living in '99. Ask Tim Duncan how much respect he has for him. He may not give you a direct answer, but you know what he's thinking.