Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-06, 02:19 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

article: Mavs resolve won't let Spurs win this series

www.dfw.com

Mavs' resolve won't let Spurs win this seriesJIM REEVES
In My Opinion
SAN ANTONIO - This is going to sound strange, considering that the Mavs walked off the court without having finished off the Spurs when they had the chance Wednesday night, but you need to relax.

Don't panic.

Don't worry.

Don't sweat it.

This series ends Friday in Dallas.

It won't be easy. It'll almost certainly be an instant replay of each of the last three games.

Tight. Tough. Terrific.

But if you had been sitting where I was at the AT&T Center on Wednesday night, five seats down from the Mavs bench, straining left and right to see around Avery Johnson as he paced up and down the sideline, then you would have seen what I saw.

A Mavs' resolve beyond anything we've ever known before.

So don't let the Spurs' 98-97 victory in Game 5 get you down. If you were watching, you know that on almost any other night, Dirk puts Jason Terry's desperation miss right back in the hole as the buzzer sounds and the Mavs are already advancing to the conference finals.

It will still happen because in the first five games of this series, they have been the better team.

They will be the better team again in Game 6.

Need evidence? Go to your TiVo and watch Game 5 all over again.

It's difficult to imagine the Spurs playing any better than this. They shot over 60 percent for most of the game and finished at 53.6 percent.

Tim Duncan poured in 36 points and Tony Parker 27. The Spurs were able to play the game at their pace.

This was the Spurs at their best. And once again, they couldn't shake the Mavs.

"Two teams that refused to lose," Avery said. "Take your hats off to them. They got one more break than we did and executed a little bit better than what we did down the stretch tonight."

It's called taking care of the basketball and the Mavs forgot to do that in the final seconds or they might be enjoying a celebration hangover this morning.

First Nowitzki, then Terry got careless and allowed the Spurs to force jump balls in the final 6.3 seconds of the game.

Josh Howard grabbed the last one with just 2.4 seconds left and the Mavs ran a bread-and-butter play to Terry at the right baseline. His jumper was just off and Dirk missed a game-winning tip-in he didn't have to rush.

"I was right there for the rebound but I didn't know how much time was left so I tried to bat it up," said Nowitzki, who finished with 31 points and 10 rebounds. "Looking at it now, I probably had time to rebound it and put it in, but you're always a lot smarter afterwards.

"We lost the game. That's basketball."

He said it matter-of-factly and without remorse, like a man who knows that he has the best team and the win will come eventually.

"At the end, Jet got a pretty decent look at the basket and Dirk almost tipped it in, which would have been sweet," Avery said. "We're up 3-2 and go home to protect our home court. We're looking at the next game as Game 7."

That's the way they have to look at it. Obviously, the Mavs want no part of a Game 7 back here at the AT&T Center.

If it comes to that, though, I'm convinced they'll win it back here if they have to do it that way.

It's that mental toughness that Avery has preached all year, that resolve that's been lacking in past Mavs' teams.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich saw it in both the Mavs and the Spurs.

"Neither team could have played much harder," Pop said. "Either team could have won the game, just like Games 3 or 4.

"It was a big win. It's good to give them a little adversity and we get another night and another game. But you don't deserve anything. You just go play.

"At this level, with the teams that are in the playoffs, everyone's got resolve. Both teams are full of character and toughness."

No argument here. But the sense in this series is that a torch is being passed.

There's a reason that Avery simply wrote "run, run, run" on his sideline chalkboard at the end of regulation in Game 4. He knew that his team had the younger, fresher legs.

"I've been in situations like that before in the playoffs and you recollect certain things," Avery said. "You make mental notes over the years and sometimes it works and sometime it doesn't.

"But I didn't think that was a time where we needed a set play, I thought that was a time where we needed to try to get a few baskets in transition."

It's that freshness, those young legs, which will make the ultimate difference in this series.

It was expected that the Spurs would fight back in Game 5. They were home, they'd whined unmercifully about the officiating, their fans were indignant and the refs sent the Spurs to the line 31 times to just 19 for the Mavs. No surprises there.

But every game this series lasts, the Spurs get older, slower and wearier.

The Mavs' support cast does need to do better than it did in Game 5. While Dirk was carrying his team, Terry, Howard, Jerry Stackhouse and Devin Harris faded into the background. They can't do that again.

But back home in Dallas on Friday night, the Mavs will be at their best.

Their court, their fans, their game.

Get ready to party.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-18-06, 02:22 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

whatever makes them feel better at night

One could say the same about SA...that their resolve and experience as champions isnt going to let them lose this series so they will end up battling back to win in 7

the look on Cubans fan when SA wins on Fri will be priceless
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-18-06, 02:23 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I want to shut these guys up so much.
Old 05-18-06, 02:24 PM
Delusional Manu Lover

Crappy bathroom reading material.

"He said, 'Go for every pump fake,' " Hibbert said.
Old 05-18-06, 02:25 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I would not be partying so soon if I were them. How many championships has Dallas won in the last 10 years? none
Old 05-18-06, 02:26 PM
SpursReport Team Member

If the Spurs win this game 6, the Mavs will be shaken because the Mavericks media will be in panic mode too. They know, it's just too perfect for us to get a chance to knock them out on our home floor, and we won't let down.
Old 05-18-06, 02:31 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Tim Duncan poured in 36 points and Tony Parker 27. The Spurs were able to play the game at their pace.
That sentence alone shows this tool knows nothing about basketball or the Spurs. The spurs beat Dallas at THIER game last night not anything close to Spurs pace or basketball. The Mavs played about as good as I've seen them play, especially Dirk, they definately weren't playing bad, so they to will have to match that once again.

The Mavs were jumping around like the won the championship after winning game 4, they have never been in the position they are in right now. They are also relying heavily on a few very young players. During this sereies, they have had zero pressure on them, that is until now. They know that game 6 is now a must win for them, they won't win a game 7 in San Antonio and they all know this. Now they are the ones with all the pressure.

The Spurs showed thier heart and determination when thier backs were against the wall, its 10 times harder to play with that kind of pressure then when there isn't any at all. The spurs have won it all and know what it takes to win a championship. Lets see if the Mavs can play thier best ball when its a must win type of game for them, I would bet money that some of thier young and inexperienced players are going to shrivel up under the pressure of that next game.
Old 05-18-06, 02:31 PM
SpursReport Rookie

His jumper was JUST OFF??????????? Mabye by about 2 feet after he paniced when he had time to take his time with a shot. And Dirk was even more nervous with the put back.
Timmys got 2 words that guy
SUCK IT!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-18-06, 02:32 PM
There is only 1 Ginobili!

Quote:
But the sense in this series is that a torch is being passed.
The torch hasn't passed yet...RECOGNIZE!!!

Typical premature ejaculatory drivel from Dallas media...WHATEVER SELLS PAPERS!!!

Old 05-18-06, 03:23 PM
SpursReport Team Member

This series has been so close that this article can be tweaked to read pro Spurs...If the spurs would have won Game 3 and 4, I am sure our writers would have a valid point to say the Mavs gave us all they had playing there best basketball in the series but still lost. Yet, each game (except GM 2) came down to the last 2 mins of executation and "lucky breaks".
Old 05-18-06, 03:26 PM
SpursReport Team Member

translation to that article: get ready to sh!t your pants if we lose game 6 dallas...
Old 05-18-06, 03:29 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

if dallas wins, will the torch really be passed.

i cant imagine to many of you passing the torch...
rather, just excuses.

anyway, i sure hope that the spurs can win this one in dallas, and just get a chance for game 7. that will be huge
Old 05-18-06, 03:29 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

We are only getting steady contributions from 3 of the 8 players we are putting on the floor and they dont think we can play any better? Puhlease.
Old 05-18-06, 03:31 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Dallas has some pretty good reasons to feel they can win this thing. I don't blame them.
Old 05-18-06, 03:38 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

SA has reasons to think they can win a game 6 on the road. esp when Dallas got most all the calls in games 3 and 4 and SA was right there at the end in games that could have went either way.

Dallas media telling people to get ready to party is typical though. they havent won anything yet they think its already over
Old 05-18-06, 03:40 PM
SpursReport Rookie

This talk of a torch being passed is funny. It's not like the Big 3 are going anywhere for a while. Even if we don't win this series, our basic structure as a team is still intact. RC and Pop will just have to make a few adjustments at center and on the periphery to have us in good shape to win another championship next year.
Old 05-18-06, 03:42 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Most of the national media as well.. They're picking a series closeout for Game 6.
Vegas is too. Gotta give Dallas credit. Especially Avery Johnson and Joe Prunty. They've gotten under Pop's skin.
Old 05-18-06, 03:43 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
It's difficult to imagine the Spurs playing any better than this. They shot over 60 percent for most of the game and finished at 53.6 percent.
it's hard to imagine any person could see that two teams are so close in four out of five games and still think one is superior.

Dave McNulla
Spurs Fan

Tweet Me
Old 05-18-06, 03:48 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Good for them. doesnt mean anything. It shouldnt be a shock to anyone if SA wins game 6. Has Dallas even proven to be the better team? without the HUGE help in games 3 and 4 from the refs SA would prob be up 3-1 or even done with this series
Old 05-18-06, 03:50 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Bad Refs be damned!
Old 05-18-06, 03:51 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurssheriff
Dallas has some pretty good reasons to feel they can win this thing. I don't blame them.
You are correct, sheriff. They have good reason but you must admit that they've clicked at the absolute best time. No way I would expect Jason Terry to put up 30 in a game and have Jerry ****house to average 20 for the series. And Devin Harris, who? So yeah, they have good reason to feel good about themselves but then again, so do we.

Only Timmy, Tony and now Manu have got it going on. Between them 3 and Finley, we got 93 of our 98 points and Finley only had 12. Our bench has disappeared and we're still within striking distance. So I feel pretty good about our chances of taking game 6 and putting those mav *****es to bed in game 7. Go spurs.
Old 05-18-06, 03:57 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Last I checked, you don't party for winning in the Conference Semifinals - you party when you win the whole thing. Typical Dallas banter.

Here's to praying we stuff 'em in Game 6 then do what the world says is improbable that we know can, and will, happen - win Game 7 at home.
Old 05-18-06, 04:00 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

We're doing great on offense. We need to play consistent defense or find different matchups. The small ball thing is scary. I'd like to see Duncan on Dirk and start maybe Rasho for rebounding. We really need to slow their offense and use Bowen on someone he can defend more easily than Dirk. Thats a waste of defense. Or, we can try to play their fast paced game again on their home court.
Old 05-18-06, 04:08 PM
SpursReport Team Member

What Dallas fans and media fail to see, is that the Mavs have not been dominant in these games. They are winning cause they are getting breaks at the end. I haven't read one article or comment expressing concern that San Antonio is pretty much scoring at will. That Tim Duncan is unstoppable, and that can be a problem later in the series. They are all acting like they've completely dominated the Spurs in every aspect, are running them out of the gym, and if they show up at AA Center, then it's game over, Spurs go home.

And for a team that is getting more tired and older, they've certainly looked pretty spry in the last three games. They keep counting on that fact...the Spurs are getting tired, their old, we're faster, we're younger...not "we're better." I have absolutely no doubts that the Spurs are winning on Friday, and do the same on Monday (which, but the way, comes after two days rest).
Old 05-18-06, 04:12 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

exactly

its funny how some think SA winning tomorrow would be some massive upset or take some magical powers to have some 100% pefect game

Take out the gifts over and over to Dallas in games 3 and 4 and there is no reason to act like Dallas has been some clear better team
Old 05-18-06, 04:18 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Screw dallas, the spurs ARE better than this. Maybe not the mini lineup Pop seems to want to stick with, but with a center holding down the paint. We wreck much, MUCH more. And they can watch and see what I'm talking about after the Spurs bust there chops in 7. ~GO SPURS GO~
Old 05-18-06, 04:49 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzG
exactly

its funny how some think SA winning tomorrow would be some massive upset or take some magical powers to have some 100% pefect game

Take out the gifts over and over to Dallas in games 3 and 4 and there is no reason to act like Dallas has been some clear better team
*sigh* let's hope there are no more gifts. There seems to be a pattern towards the end of each quarter where the Mavs are suddenly parading to the line. It isn't going to be easy and no one is tougher mentally than Avery. He will have those guys focused and ready. Let's hope everyone (and I am calling out Brent Barry) needs to step up big time.
Old 05-18-06, 05:11 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Well God will let them win, so GODS WILL >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> THIS STUPID ARTICLE and Mavs resolve or whatever they say..........

Spurs in 7, GOD WINS BI*CHES.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 05-18-06, 05:24 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Spurs definitely didn't play anywhere close to their defensive standards. There's a HUGE difference there.