News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 05-18-06, 11:39 AM
SpursReport Rookie

History of Game 5 winners of the past

In the past it seems game 5's (in a 7 game series) have been make or break for many teams. I wish I knew the exact stats, but sufice to say, who ever comes out with a victory tends to win the series. The Spurs I know for a fact have RARELY lost a series after winning a game 5....and vice versa, guess lets see what history is made this year.

If we get a far shake with the officating Friday, I see no reason why we can't win that game. It seems thats a lot to ask this series, however.

Edit:
Ha! found it!

Of the 128 playoff series in NBA history to be tied at 2, the team that took Game 5 went on to win the series 107 times.

Thats good news, isn't it?

83.5%, ah hell lets just round that up to 84%! We got this!

Last edited by Wannabeer; 05-18-06 at 11:57 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-18-06, 12:06 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate From Ohio
Problem. The Spurs and Mavs were not tied at 2 after 4 games, thus your stat is useless unless you are using it to analyze the Cavs v Pistons playoff match up
Actually, I was refering to the Spurs series . Boy, their goes my whole day!

But, I guess the Cavs series makes more sense!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-18-06, 12:07 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

game by game

We're coming back.

Friday will be the championship gut check for this team.
Old 05-18-06, 12:09 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Crap, so what we are trying to do is become only the 9th team in a 128 playoff series to come back from 3-1...o boy, that sucks...
Old 05-18-06, 12:22 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Even the longest journey begins with a first step. If the Spurs can take it one game at a time they will force a game 7 which they will win. Go Spurs Go!!! The thing that worries me is if there will be enough people in dallas at game time who know how to give the Mavs players the Heimlich maneuver when they choke after Friday's game.
Old 05-18-06, 12:51 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeer
Crap, so what we are trying to do is become only the 9th team in a 128 playoff series to come back from 3-1...o boy, that sucks...
How did you not know this?!?!
Old 05-18-06, 12:54 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Again, if you just take the stats at face value, then of course it's hard to win after being down 3-1. But remember that stats is NOT adjusted for the difference in the strength of the teams. And a huge chunk of that % comes from the fact that the better team usually is the one up 3-1. But this is not the case for the Phoenix/Lakers theory and we can easily argue the same for this series. Although I won't say for sure the Spurs are better than the Mavs significantly given that we tied our hands by playing small ball.
Old 05-18-06, 12:55 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLadiesMike
How did you not know this?!?!
I'm sorry I dont have a link. Just off the top of my head...
Old 05-18-06, 12:58 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeer
Don't look at it that way. We already won game 5 which puts us at 2-3. Now all we're trying to do is be the 1 out of 2 teams who can win Game 6. If we succeed then we get to try it again.