News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 05-18-06, 01:00 AM
SpursReport Staff Writer

Van Exel Announces Retirement-LOL

San Antonio, May 17, 2005, 11:59 P.M.: After 13 years in the National Basketball Association Nick Van Exel announced his retirement tonight. The backup point guard of the San Antonio Spurs chose this time to end his career as the ultimate team move. As the former "Nick the Quick" put it in his game 5 post game interview, "it's like we playin 4 on 5 when I'm in the game cause I am more like 'Nick the Lick' now, as in can't play a. I figured this is the best way to help this team win a championship."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
SpursReport Team Member

seriously?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
SpursReport Team Veteran

link?
Old 05-18-06, 01:39 AM
SpursReport Staff Writer

Just a thought
Old 05-18-06, 01:41 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

I think some might contend that VanExel has in actuality already retired............
Old 05-18-06, 01:44 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Dammit! This is like those fake lottery tickets where you get your hopes up but it was just someone clowning you!!
Old 05-18-06, 01:49 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Maybe NVE will go Steve Kerr on the Mavs in game six and we'll all be singing a different tune about him. I'd be ok with that. But wait, wasn't NVE guarding Kerr in that series? Well, we can always hope.
Old 05-18-06, 01:51 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by disciple
San Antonio, May 17, 2005, 11:59 P.M.: After 13 years in the National Basketball Association Nick Van Exel announced his retirement tonight. The backup point guard of the San Antonio Spurs chose this time to end his career as the ultimate team move. As the former "Nick the Quick" put it in his game 5 post game interview, "it's like we playin 4 on 5 when I'm in the game cause I am more like 'Nick the Lick' now, as in can't play a. I figured this is the best way to help this team win a championship."
Oh.. he was playing?
Old 05-18-06, 01:51 AM
SpursReport Team Member

He said retiring now is the best way for us to win a championship??? He has been blowing but Pop is still playing him so he needs to have some confidence.
Old 05-18-06, 02:15 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pessimist
Just think if NVE hits a huge shot in Game 6 . . . We'll all look like A-Holes.
But even that won't change the fact that it's pretty much over for him. But hopefully he does make some big shots. I think we have to get something out of him weather its a few big 3s or some nice passes because it certainly won't be any defensive stops.
Old 05-18-06, 02:21 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Hitting a huge shot now doesnt excuse his piss poor performance the whole year and especially this series. We will hate him less, but it won't make him a hero by any chance.

"We would have two less championships here if it wasn't for Manu Ginobili," Popovich said. "In my book, Manu Ginobili is the stud of the world."
Old 05-18-06, 02:24 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
And we'd all be perfectly okay with that. Just because NVE isn't doing squat right now shouldn't mean that we should all be hoping that NVE continues to do squat. I'd have no problem whatsoever with NVE making every single one of us eat our words by coming through when we need him to.
Old 05-18-06, 02:26 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Nick only took 2 shots tonight. He did help the Spurs make 4 baskets with his assists. I think that is a contribution to the win tonight. We wouldn't have won without those assists.
Old 05-18-06, 02:32 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by disciple
damn he announced this retirement exactly a year ago? y didnt he say so couldve saved us some trouble
Old 05-18-06, 02:49 AM
SpursReport Rookie

New York - May 17, 2006 11:59 pm AP BS Wire Service The NBA Office announced in a bizarre twist to the Nick Van Exel retirement that was announced this evening yet actually occurred exactly one year ago today, the San Antonio Spurs forfeit the 48 points, 97 turnovers, 112 personal fouls, and 192 blown defensive assignments credited to Nick the formerly Quick, thus causing the team to gain an additional five regualar season victories and four postseason victories. Enacting rule 28, section 8 of the NBA exceptions policy - "Retroactively recalculating games based upon unannounced retirements" the Spurs now lead the best of seven series with the Mavs 3 games to 2. In a strange turn of events, the Spurs now have home court advantage throughout the playoffs.

Last edited by MakitTakit; 05-18-06 at 02:53 AM.
Old 05-18-06, 12:23 PM
SpursReport Staff Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakitTakit
New York - May 17, 2006 11:59 pm AP BS Wire Service The NBA Office announced in a bizarre twist to the Nick Van Exel retirement that was announced this evening yet actually occurred exactly one year ago today, the San Antonio Spurs forfeit the 48 points, 97 turnovers, 112 personal fouls, and 192 blown defensive assignments credited to Nick the formerly Quick, thus causing the team to gain an additional five regualar season victories and four postseason victories. Enacting rule 28, section 8 of the NBA exceptions policy - "Retroactively recalculating games based upon unannounced retirements" the Spurs now lead the best of seven series with the Mavs 3 games to 2. In a strange turn of events, the Spurs now have home court advantage throughout the playoffs.
OMG . . . . funny stuff
Old 05-18-06, 12:45 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Yup - I think he did retire. Someone just forgot to tell Pop.
Old 05-18-06, 12:49 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

I had a similar thought in game 4 when he got torched on several consecutive plays: "Can we waive a guy in the middle of a game? Can he call a press conference at halftime to announce his retirement?"

He didn't look too bad last night.

I would love to see him and Finley lead a comeback win in game 6.
Old 05-18-06, 12:53 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotes_geek
I think some might contend that VanExel has in actuality already retired............
Van Exel hasn't retired, but his game retired a couple of years ago.
Old 05-18-06, 12:54 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I'm rooting so much for this guy, it pains me to see him struggle the way he has.

Here's to Nick finding a way to contribute to a victory on Friday!
Its not to early for a beer, is it?
Old 05-18-06, 01:02 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaji157
Oh.. he was playing?
I haven't seen him play in about 5 years?