News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-06, 10:42 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Well Pop, are you going to continue to be outcoached???

Pop is seeing the reputation he slowly built as a great coach go up in flames. I find it incredible that he and his coaching staff cannot figure out a better defensive scheme than the one they've been using.

They know we can't win games like this. Why in the world Nazr and/or Rasho have not been playing is beyond me. These guys are the experts. *UCKING FIGURE IT OUT!!!
Old 05-16-06, 10:43 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

They can't use their usual defensive strategy. What do you suggest?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-16-06, 10:46 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

maybe the team isnt listening to him anymore? just a thought. i know it sux, but duncan is just going to have to guard dirk he's the most mobile big man we have. horry just lacks passion right now, i dont see it. i see him retiring too.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-16-06, 10:46 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
I suggest that they realize that what they've been doing isn't working and figure out a way to utilize our big men, either in a zone or not, to protect the rim. Pop and P.J. both have PhD's in basketball and are being paid big money to make adjustments and give the Spurs a chance.

Why do you stick with something that's not working?
Old 05-16-06, 10:47 AM
SpursReport Team Member

This crap is hilarious

Rasho or Nazr cant play in this series. They cant guard Dirk and do you suggest Duncan foul out in the 1st quarter when he has to guard him with Rasho or Nazr in the game?

Pop's 3 titles and great coaching isnt going up in flames because Dallas causes matchup nighmares for SA. The Spurs fought their ass off last night and someone wonders if the team doesnt listen to him anymore? Jesus
Old 05-16-06, 10:50 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Lowell
This crap is hilarious

Rasho or Nazr cant play in this series. They cant guard Dirk and do you suggest Duncan foul out in the 1st quarter when he has to guard him with Rasho or Nazr in the game?

Pop's 3 titles and great coaching isnt going up in flames because Dallas causes matchup nighmares for SA
His failure to try something else is hurting his reputation, whether you want to admit it or not. The Mavs are playing Diop or Dampier at all times, Nazr or Rasho can't cover them? That's bullsh*t.

Do something Pop. This sucks.
Old 05-16-06, 10:52 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
I suggest they use something closer to their usual defensive strategy. I seem to recall that they won 63 games with that strategy. I seem to recall that they allowed 88 points per game with that strategy.

The current strategy, while adding speed, also has a number of flaws:

Disadvantage in rebounding
Disadvantage in blocked shots
Disadvantage in key guys picking up more fouls (see Tim and Manu)

Additionally, it places the team in a situation that they are less familiar with. Players are out of position more. Funneling shooters into the lane becomes a highly risky business. Tim can't play all out for fear of picking up too many fouls too early.

Finally, if the matchups are so all important - how in the world does Pop allow Nick Van Exel on the floor at all against players like Harris and Terry? This contradiction is so huge, it almost completely destroys any logic that the coaching staff attempts to put forth.

Old 05-16-06, 10:54 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Steve Kerr said last night if the Spurs put their bigs in the game with Duncan its going to be a even worse matchup for SA because Duncan would have to risk major foul trouble on Dirk and Nazr/Rasho cant guard anyone else outside Diop or Damp that both do nothing

but hey..Fire Pop! You know the thread is coming
Old 05-16-06, 10:54 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Chris I agree Nazr and Rasho can't guard Dirk but in this series nobody has been able to stop him considering he gets all the touch calls. We might as well have Nazr and Rasho collect those fouls instead of risking 1 of our big 3 to foul out again. This logic is just stupid when have the spurs been about stopping 1 guy its always been shutting down a team not just one individual even during the Kobe-Shaq era it was about stopping their role players while surviving those 2 going off. By not having Nazr and Rasho out there its hurting the spurs chances of stopping layup drills and easy dunks which in return is not stopping their team.

I think Pop holds grudges that once you get on his bad side it will be a longtime before he forgives you and hence Rash-Nazr have some how alienated Pop. Unfortunately for us and the rest of the spurs its put them in a terrible situation in which the odds are stacked against them now since Pop won't play either of them and trust me he won't budge for game 5. Its truly frustrating Pop by trying to show these two up is going to cost the spurs this series.
Old 05-16-06, 10:59 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSlicer
I think Pop holds grudges that once you get on his bad side it will be a longtime before he forgives you and hence Rash-Nazr have some how alienated Pop. Unfortunately for us and the rest of the spurs its put them in a terrible situation in which the odds are stacked against them now since Pop won't play either of them and trust me he won't budge for game 5. Its truly frustrating Pop by trying to show these two up is going to cost the spurs this series.
Yeah, Pop did the same thing with Malik in the 2004 playoffs. Malik had always had a modicum of success against Shaq (not great but better than most NBA reserves). Pop benched him for most of March and April and then didn't have him available to help when they were being swept - 4 losses in a row.
Old 05-16-06, 11:01 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

evidence of pop switching line ups each time, tells you he has no clue how to stop them.
Old 05-16-06, 11:04 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

If Nazr or Rasho is in the game, who do they guard?
What do you do if Avery immediately counters by removing their center and going small?

The coaching isn't our problem. Execution and questionable player personnel moves are our problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vandalay
evidence of pop switching line ups each time, tells you he has no clue how to stop them.
Neither do you or anyone else. We can't play our normal defense because of the mismatches caused by having a 7 foot jump shooter who is unguardable.
Old 05-16-06, 11:10 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

^^exactly my point. just going to have live with dirk making his. either put td on him and let play loose on dirk and let dirk score 50 but eveyone else must be shut down and with rasho/nazr/oberto/horry plenty of fouls and rebounds to get underneath. either dirk is going to guard tim sometimes or switch off and it doesnt matter, td will take anyone to the hole.

Last edited by Art Vandalay; 05-16-06 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-16-06, 11:14 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Honestly like I said again already we can't guard Dirk so whats the point of going small. I rather see Nazr and Rasho rack fouls on Dirk instead of one of our big 3 foul out again. If AJ wants go super small I say we risk it. Let him Put something ridiculous out there like Howard at center, the way we adjust is have Nazr dunk on his head 3-4 times. Its really stupid how we are playing small ball because we are scared of Dirk going off when he already has and gotten all of our top guys in foul trouble. Like I said before Pop just hates Nazr-Rasho right now and its going to cost us just like Pop not using Malik-Kwill in '04 to combat Shaq-Malone. Putting Horry on Shaq in that series was pure genious by Pop. I tell you this I really think Pop has a huge ego that he's willing to risk us losing this series simply because he's pissed off at Nazr-Rasho.
Old 05-16-06, 11:19 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I'd rather put in another big to clog up the lane. Right now, the Mavs are beating us with uncontested layups and offensive rebounds. Just like teams have tried against Parker, if Devin Harris or Terry decide to drive the lane, they'll be knocked on their ass by Rasho/Nazr and make them think twice.

Even if Tim guards Dirk, I'd rather have the Mavs beat us with jump shots and less free throws. If Dirk makes 17-23 footers all night, I can live with that.

I can't live with the fact that we're getting beat not playing Spurs ball and playing into the Mavs hands.

"Bring it"
Old 05-16-06, 11:22 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

agreed. it's nothing new, it's not like dirk is some new found player this year and aj kept him on the bench all year long. dirk has always been able to go off, they have one superstar on that team, let him score. it's not like it's kobe and shaq out there and you have to pick your poison. if tim can guard pau gasol then tim can guard dirk.

Last edited by Art Vandalay; 05-16-06 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-16-06, 11:26 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I think zoning them up wouldn't be a bad idea to try. The layup and free throw line they've had in the past couple of games is ridiculous.
Old 05-16-06, 11:34 AM
SpursReport Rookie

I agree with some who suggested putting in Rasho or Nazr. At least try it for stretches. If Dirk is drawing fouls anyway, why not keep them off the big 3 and Bowen? And why not foul him with a big man, so maybe he has to go through the same banging that Duncan goes through throughout the game. The spurs can still create some advantages on offense with this lineup.
If the Mavs go smaller by taking out their center, then see if you can get Dirk into foul trouble if he guards Duncan... either way it's really open season for TD down on the low block.
Old 05-16-06, 11:38 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finashkey
I agree with some who suggested putting in Rasho or Nazi. At least try it for stretches. If Dirk is drawing fouls anyway, why not keep them off the big 3 and Bowen? And why not foul him with a big man, so maybe he has to go through the same banging that Duncan goes through throughout the game. The spurs can still create some advantages on offense with this lineup.
If the Mavs go smaller by taking out their center, then see if you can get Dirk into foul trouble if he guards Duncan... either way it's really open season for TD down on the low block.
Our offense is not the problem.

We haven't been able to get a stop when we needed to. And even when you get a stop, we didn't secure the rebound. Reason? We're playing with defensive lineups we haven't used all season. We're not even using Rasho/Nazr late in games for defensive purposes.

"Bring it"
Old 05-16-06, 11:44 AM
SpursReport Rookie

back in april Nazr had a great game against Dallas at the at&t center.... what we are doing now is not quite working.... Let Nazr and Rasho lay some wood on Dirk and everyone else that is getting in the paint... maybe after some tough fouls the mavs would be less inclined to drive to the paint so often
Old 05-16-06, 11:47 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDS4
Our offense is not the problem.

We haven't been able to get a stop when we needed to. And even when you get a stop, we didn't secure the rebound. Reason? We're playing with defensive lineups we haven't used all season. We're not even using Rasho/Nazr late in games for defensive purposes.
I didnt say it was. I said the Spurs can still create problems offensively with a big lineup, i.e. they could benefit defensively and on the boards with Rasho or Nazr in the game, but they will not lose much, if any, offense whether the Mavs keep their lineup the same, or try to go smaller by removing Damp or Diop.
Old 05-16-06, 11:47 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

exactly. we won 60+ games and championships with the bigs. played against phoenix who was quick, shooters and freak amere and what happened tried to go small, didnt work, went back to what brought us all the wins and championships. playing our bigs, getting rebounds. if dirk goes off he goes off. we survived plenty of games with keeping the center in and not playing small. if pop wanted to use oberto on dirk he should have tried that during the regular season.
Old 05-16-06, 11:52 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vandalay
exactly. we won 60+ games and championships with the bigs. played against phoenix who was quick, shooters and freak amere and what happened tried to go small, didnt work, went back to what brought us all the wins and championships. playing our bigs, getting rebounds. if dirk goes off he goes off. we survived plenty of games with keeping the center in and not playing small. if pop wanted to use oberto on dirk he should have tried that during the regular season.
yep, Amare had some big games, but it didn't matter. I know Pop said it is still just basketball, but stick with the lineup that got you #1 seed.
Old 05-16-06, 12:01 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemisphair68
Pop is seeing the reputation he slowly built as a great coach go up in flames. I find it incredible that he and his coaching staff cannot figure out a better defensive scheme than the one they've been using.

They know we can't win games like this. Why in the world Nazr and/or Rasho have not been playing is beyond me. These guys are the experts. *UCKING FIGURE IT OUT!!!
It might not be the coaching staffs innability to scheme. Ever think it might be the Spurs innability to to execute the scheme? Just a thought. Nobody on the Spurs has stopped Devin Harris from penetrating and creating. I also don't think you lose much credibility as a coach after one series......its like making the 3 Championships irrelevant. The Spurs are just being outplayed.
Old 05-16-06, 02:19 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Yeah it's all Pop's fault we are losing this series.....lol....get real. We are losing because of unbelievable play by the Mavericks. Even when they are guarded they still make their shots....oh yeah but that's Pop's fault.
Old 05-16-06, 02:27 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Nazr needs to start tomorrow night and Pop needs to use the lineup that got him this far. Even if Duncan guards Dirk, he isn't going to blow by him with his bum ankle. Right now the Spurs are having problems contesting shots and rebounding. GET NAZR IN THERE TO GET NASTY!!!
Old 05-16-06, 03:32 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.M. Fletch
Yeah it's all Pop's fault we are losing this series.....lol....get real. We are losing because of unbelievable play by the Mavericks. Even when they are guarded they still make their shots....oh yeah but that's Pop's fault.
well, I would like to see some better rebounding and shot blocking capability back into the spurs mix. Bring back Spurs team defense that is tried and tested. I can't take it anymore with the mavs getting all those offensive boards during final minutes of a close game.

Say the Spurs do not use their centers (again) in game 5 and lose it. I will never be convinced that the use of that strategy four times in a row, with the outcome of four losses in a row -to the Mavs (who the spurs actually beat 3 times in the regular season with the use of their centers), was anything other than flawed logic. It has been shown that small lineup does not separate the Spurs from the Mavs, but using centers this year has.

Old 05-16-06, 03:51 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiantexan
It might not be the coaching staffs innability to scheme. Ever think it might be the Spurs innability to to execute the scheme? Just a thought. Nobody on the Spurs has stopped Devin Harris from penetrating and creating. I also don't think you lose much credibility as a coach after one series......its like making the 3 Championships irrelevant. The Spurs are just being outplayed.
You have a point - It may be the teams inability to execute the scheme. However, the Spurs played the entire season under one scheme. It is a highly risky proposition for a team to go change that scheme mid stream in round two of the playoffs.

I can't blame the players for this. Most have played their hearts out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2150
back in april Nazr had a great game against Dallas at the at&t center.... what we are doing now is not quite working.... Let Nazr and Rasho lay some wood on Dirk and everyone else that is getting in the paint... maybe after some tough fouls the mavs would be less inclined to drive to the paint so often
How can that be? Pop said the centers have no place in these match ups?

Last edited by Brooklyn Dave; 05-16-06 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-16-06, 03:52 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Lowell
This crap is hilarious

Pop's 3 titles and great coaching isnt going up in flames because Dallas causes matchup nighmares for SA. The Spurs fought their ass off last night and someone wonders if the team doesnt listen to him anymore? Jesus
I don't remember Duncan fouling out in the 1st quarter of the 4 regulear season games.
Old 05-16-06, 03:56 PM
SpursReport Rookie

and were the calls going like they have been in 4 playoff games so far in this series? NO!
Old 05-16-06, 04:39 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

The problem with Nazr and Rasho is two fold- one they can't guard Dirk and second they are not enough of an offensive threat for Dirk to have to worry about - Dirk plays outside so they wouldn't be much help in closing off penatration. I have been concerned about the SPurs lack of decent big men outside of Tim all year. I had hoped either Rasho or Nazr would make a step foward in their games, but realisticly at their age it is unlikely.

Despite how poorly the Spurs are doing let's be realistic- at the end of regulation the Mavs have just beat the Spurs by 1 point in two home games. Unfortunately a few bounces and calls here and there have left the team in a huge hole. One Freakin break here or there and it would be 2-2 . It's not 2-2
It's 3-1. They still have a shot, a long one but still a shot.