News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-06, 08:55 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Spurs beat same type of team last year with big's

I don't know if you guy's remember but last year we beat a quick athletic
scoring team like the Mav's called the Phoenix Sun's with our two big men (Duncan & Nazr)
in the staring lineup. We also didn't go small to matchup with the Suns!

So what if dirk would have an advantage! Staudamire averaged 40pts a game last year in that series! It's the rebounding and shot blocking presence we are missing!
We win with our defense and we need another big man in there to play with Tim.
In the past whenever Tim would take a rest we've alway's had a seven footer in the game.
It takes a lot of the pressure off of Tim, and it was evedent with his foul trouble.

The Bottom line is we need the two big man staring lineup again!
That has been the system since we won the championship in 99,03, 05 to our 63 games this year! Why abandon a successful system in the second round of the playoffs?

Last edited by spurastotle; 05-14-06 at 09:18 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-14-06, 09:19 AM
SpursReport Rookie

My sentiments exactly. I wondered all night why Pop didn't have our bigs in there. I suppose he was trying to match speed on the perimeter, but those guys weren't shooting from the perimeter, they were driving to the basket where no one was waiting. If Nazr or Rasho are in the game, you can take at least 2-3 of those (crappy) fouls away from Duncan. Plus, who's going to guard Nazr at the post for Dallas? If Diop is on him, then it seems to me that Duncan is free to do what he wants.

Like you said, why change what's worked for so long? In the press conference Pop said he wanted to get Oberto some minutes and see what he could do.. It's the freakin' playoffs, you should have had him playing minutes throughout the season to see what he could do. Don't get me wrong, I think Oberto can contribute coming off the bench some, but he can't replace the presence of Nazr and Rasho.

I think Pop will put them back in for game 4, and we'll see a different type of ball game.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-14-06, 09:26 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

dallas plays Defense...the Suns objective is to score, score, score...I think that has something to do with it
Old 05-14-06, 09:31 AM
Spartan Moderator

Nazr was in there and 1) fumbled a point blank pass for an easy dunk and 2) on the same sequence failed to get back fast enough and fouled the Dallas player for a 3 point play. So, you could say that he was a 5 point liability in one short sequence.
Old 05-14-06, 10:25 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robofuzz
Nazr was in there and 1) fumbled a point blank pass for an easy dunk and 2) on the same sequence failed to get back fast enough and fouled the Dallas player for a 3 point play. So, you could say that he was a 5 point liability in one short sequence.
bingo...exactly why pop dosent want him playing right now, but then again, if he was starting, perhaps he would have been in a better rythm and had a dunk on that pass, and a block on that 3 point play.
Old 05-14-06, 09:30 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robofuzz
Granted, but you could say that Manu cost us the game with his turnover at the end, or Barry with a terrible in bound, or Horry by missing every shot he took.. So maybe he should just take all three out for the rest of the series. Seriously, you can't put a guy in for 1 minute and expect him to get a rhythym. I'm not gonna say that Rasho or Nazr are great players, but I have zero doubt that either would have been more productive than Horry. At this stage in his career, starting center is not what Horry should be doing. The simple fact is that Dallas can't really match up against the bigs, and Tim needs the extra help defensively.
Old 05-14-06, 09:53 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpatter
Tim needs the extra help defensively.
This was the key problem with going small - Hubie Brown pointed it out: With Tim being the only big man, they didn't spread out the defensive fouls, and that's part of why he fouled out. (it's not just the refs!!!)