News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 05-11-06, 11:46 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Avery, Texas and the NBA

Let me preface this by saying that I went to the 1972 exhibition game at HemisFair between Detroit and Houston, hoped with the rest of the basketball fans for a pro team, and have been a Spursfan since the day the team moved to town. Though I left Texas in '87, I still carry incredible memories of watching Silas, Kenon, Ice, Henry Ward (warming up), Whopper, et al from my childhood, was in NYC in '99 win the Spurs won it the first time, and have never even once thought about becoming a fan of my local bball team (Wizards). With that said, I just want to say that there are alot of things that could be worse than losing to the Mavs (losing to LA, Sac, or Pho, come to mind).

Three reasons. Avery, Texas, and parity. The first two really don't merit explanation. The third is a little more tricky. If you're a baseball fan in a small market town then it must be galling to see every season how the Yankees and other rich clubs buy players like so many trinkets. The great joy becomes, once your team is out of contention, to root against the likes of these teams. If you look at the NBA Rookie of the Year balloting that just took place you realize that the NBA is attempting to keep their league competitive through the draft, salary cap, and revenue sharing. Seven of the nine rookies who got votes come from the Eastern Conference ... the weaker conference for so long. Soon there will be more conference parity and with the maturation of rookies and the retirement of vets the East may be dominant again. But parity gave the Spurs a shot at making good draft picks, of financially competing with franchises like NY and LA.

My pecking order for teams to root for has always been SA, Texas teams, former ABA teams (Pacers, Nets, Nuggets), and then perennial underdog franchises (Clips, Cavs, etc). I don't think Dallas beating us would be the end of the world. Sure they've made stupid moves, and have an idiot owner and some foul-mouthed fans. But they probably also have some die-hard, intelligent students of the game who would like to taste the success of a NBA championship. And they have Avery. I'm not going to begrudge Avery a second ring should his Mavs beat the Spurs. He was the spit on David Robinson's polish and his little baseline jumper at Madison Square Garden shined and erased more than two decades of basketball frustration for this avid fan. Until then, go Spurs.

Last edited by FarFlung; 05-11-06 at 11:48 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-11-06, 11:53 AM
Delusional Manu Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarFlung
I don't think Dallas beating us would be the end of the world.
You dont know us at all!!!!!

"He said, 'Go for every pump fake,' " Hibbert said.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-11-06, 12:05 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark21horse
You dont know us at all!!!!!
[
Old 05-11-06, 12:39 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Love Avery, but hate the Mavs and their fans.

There is shame in losing to an inferior team - no matter where they happen to come from.

That is exactly what the Mavs are. Inferior.

If by some act of God - the Mavs were able to win this series, I would root for any team playing them to beat them, including Detroit.
Old 05-11-06, 12:47 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

if the mavs win, they aren't inferior. that said, they're going to lose the series.

Dave McNulla
Spurs Fan

Tweet Me
Old 05-11-06, 12:52 PM
Delusional Manu Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB
Love Avery, but hate the Mavs and their fans.

There is shame in losing to an inferior team - no matter where they happen to come from.

That is exactly what the Mavs are. Inferior.

If by some act of God - the Mavs were able to win this series, I would root for any team playing them to beat them, including Detroit.

I would do the same. It would be all I could do not to fall on a sword IF by some miracle the Mavs beat the Spurs.

"He said, 'Go for every pump fake,' " Hibbert said.
Old 05-11-06, 12:52 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

That's laughable logic. It's like when Leinhart said even though USC lost, they were still the better team.
Old 05-11-06, 01:32 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R
That's laughable logic. It's like when Leinhart said even though USC lost, they were still the better team.
If the Rose Bowl were best of 7, I would bet on USC.

That's why I like the NBA, you can't really blame losing a round on 1 or 2 mistakes.
Old 05-11-06, 02:37 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highplainsspur
If the Rose Bowl were best of 7, I would bet on USC.

That's why I like the NBA, you can't really blame losing a round on 1 or 2 mistakes.

Texas would beat them in a best of 7.
Old 05-11-06, 02:50 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarFlung
With that said, I just want to say that there are alot of things that could be worse than losing to the Mavs (losing to LA, Sac, or Pho, come to mind).
Sliding down a razor blade into a pool of alcohol?
Old 05-11-06, 02:53 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

if the mavs beat the spurs i would throw myself upon my sword then come back from the afterlife and haunt the mother of the guy who started this thread for even suggesting it