News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-06, 11:51 AM
SpursReport Rookie

anybody else annoyed that bill walton is so negative when it comes to the spurs?

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

i usually put the tv on mute and listen to the game on AM.

- mrs. enjay bee

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-11-06, 11:55 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Did Walton even do game 2???? It has everything to do with how the Spurs are playing, especially like game 2, no matter who's doing the announcing your going to be ultra sensitive and not like the dude.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-11-06, 12:00 PM
Delusional Manu Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlovesthespurs
ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

i usually put the tv on mute and listen to the game on AM.
He's on my list of Top 10 HORRIBLE commentators of all time!

"He said, 'Go for every pump fake,' " Hibbert said.
Old 05-11-06, 12:01 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Bill Walton? negative about spurs?.. He loves the Spurs.
Old 05-11-06, 12:05 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

I Love walton and he - negative on Spurs??? he loves great basketball and always repects and appreciates the Spurs.
Old 05-11-06, 12:07 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Dude, you're so wrong. Bill Walton LOVES the Spurs. In particular he loves Manu, Timmy and Pop. He's seen what the Spurs and Manu are capable of in the past and he expects a lot out of them in the playoffs.
He was riding Timmy's jock all game calling him the most decorated basketball player of the modern era.
In order to apprecitate Bill you've got to understand his schtick. He's the king of hyperbole, and I love it when the other commentators call him out on it. Take what he says with a grain of salt and you'll enjoy him much more.
Old 05-11-06, 12:14 PM

What about all that "devolution of Manu's game" crap?!?
Old 05-11-06, 12:17 PM
Delusional Manu Lover

I've read a couple of posts that says that Bill Walton jokes alot, my question is.....are you sure he's joking? Did he say is was joking or you just figured he was joking? The reason I am asking is because ALL of his commentary sounds the same to me....which is why I dont know if he is joking. Some of it is so far out there......you figure......he has to be joking.......but how do I know since it all sounds the same?

Old 05-11-06, 12:18 PM
SpursReport Team Member

to be fair he also said that manu is one of the greatest basketball players in the WORLD right now and isn't playing liek himself.
Old 05-11-06, 12:20 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Robert Horry is greatest inbounds-passer in the history of the league!

-Bill Walton

-Bruce Bowen
Old 05-11-06, 12:25 PM
Delusional Manu Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChillFactor
Robert Horry is greatest inbounds-passer in the history of the league!

-Bill Walton
So how do we know he doesn't really believe that?????

Old 05-11-06, 12:35 PM
SpursReport Rookie

ive been watching the spurs (nba) for a long time now.....and i find nothing more annoying than bill walton riding someones jock just for the sake of it.

i guess youre right about the hyperbole.

i just find it annoying.

no, i dont think hes one of the greatest...or that he likes the spurs.

hes annoying, case in point.

- mrs. enjay bee

Old 05-11-06, 12:38 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Bill Walton is hillarious and I enjoy each and every broadcast he does.
Old 05-11-06, 12:53 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anglospur
Dude, you're so wrong. Bill Walton LOVES the Spurs. In particular he loves Manu, Timmy and Pop. He's seen what the Spurs and Manu are capable of in the past and he expects a lot out of them in the playoffs.
He was riding Timmy's jock all game calling him the most decorated basketball player of the modern era.
In order to apprecitate Bill you've got to understand his schtick. He's the king of hyperbole, and I love it when the other commentators call him out on it. Take what he says with a grain of salt and you'll enjoy him much more.
Old 05-11-06, 01:37 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

bill walton loves or hates the spurs depending on whether they're up two points or down two points. when your schtick is figured out, you lose respect in everybody's eyes.

Dave McNulla
Spurs Fan

Tweet Me
Old 05-11-06, 01:40 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

He's a great commentator, and regardless of what's going on he's a Spurs fan. Why? Tim Duncan. He loves the big man game.
Old 05-11-06, 03:45 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

That's funny, he's usually so neutral.
Old 05-11-06, 03:55 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

He is not a Spurs hater, he gives them some major props and so on everytime I am watching the game. He loves Manu, Horry is the greatest defender in the modern day era LOL. He said the footwork of Tim Duncan, he is the new Kevin Mchale of the 2000's, he loves watching Tim play too. This thread is off, sorry not everyone hates the Spurs like ESPN idiots do.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 05-11-06, 04:14 PM
SpursReport Team Member

i dont mind bill walton.. he sometimes can get annoying but id rather listen to him then some other commentators
Old 05-11-06, 04:15 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Bill Walton has said time and time again since Michael Jordan leaving the NBA that Tim Duncan is this era's most decorated player.

If that is negative, then just shoot me. Bill Walton gives criticism to everyone. If he does give us more, it's because he knows that we're capable of so much more.
Old 05-11-06, 04:46 PM
Delusional Manu Lover

If I hear the word, "Era" come outta that man's (Walton) pie hole, one more time, i'm gonna wretch!!!!!!

Old 05-11-06, 04:53 PM
SpursReport Rookie

when he said that crap about the devolution of manus game,

i ******* threw a pillow at the tv.

my opinion: HES FULL OF ****.

- mrs. enjay bee

Old 05-11-06, 05:08 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

It is stunning to me how people take Bill Walton so literally.

He's funny, informative, and entertaining.

He doesn't take himself very seriously - and yet, so many people on here do.

Amazing.

He likes to pull your chain and obviously, it's working.
Old 05-11-06, 05:08 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Bill Walton's line about Patrick Ewing fighting the effects of rigor mortis is classic.
Old 05-11-06, 05:10 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Quote:

In order to appreciate Bill Walton and his schtick - you must have some form of intelligence and a sense of humour, first and foremost.
Old 05-11-06, 05:19 PM

That's funny Rich, because Walton has neither of those two things.
Old 05-11-06, 05:21 PM
Delusional Manu Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB

In order to appreciate Bill Walton and his schtick - you must have some form of intelligence and a sense of humour, first and foremost.
So.......just for clarification.......everyone who does not like Bill Walton lacks intelligence and a sense of humor?

Old 05-11-06, 05:40 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I heard be negative but I've also heard him be positive lots of times.
Old 05-11-06, 05:52 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

There are no commentators (other than Sean Elliott, of course) that can stomach the Spurs. We all know that. There never will be.
And refs, and commissioners, and news outlets... ect. ect.
Old 05-11-06, 06:09 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo_radley
That's funny Rich, because Walton has neither of those two things.
huh? how absurd
Old 05-11-06, 06:13 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Obvious
to be fair he also said that manu is one of the greatest basketball players in the WORLD right now and isn't playing liek himself.
I agree - seems like a fair assessment to me.
Old 05-11-06, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcsf
huh? how absurd
Not absurd, he's always struck me as dumb and not funny....I guess I am too dumb and not funny myself to not get his schtick
Old 05-11-06, 07:08 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB
It is stunning to me how people take Bill Walton so literally.

He's funny, informative, and entertaining.

He doesn't take himself very seriously - and yet, so many people on here do.

Amazing.

He likes to pull your chain and obviously, it's working.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Last edited by maldoror; 05-11-06 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-11-06, 07:15 PM
SpursReport Team Member

A few years ago I had NBA league Pass, and I watched a few of the Clippers games which were covered by Walton (yes, I was that bored). His color commentary was much more subdued, which led me to believe that what you see on the national broadcasts is an act.
I seem to recall an article on Walton that spelled this out - while not scripted, the producers give directions to Walton to play up the "goofy dude who says outrageous stuff" angle to the hilt.
Shame, really.
Old 05-11-06, 07:16 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alka-Seltzer
A few years ago I had NBA league Pass, and I watched a few of the Clippers games which were covered by Walton (yes, I was that bored). His color commentary was much more subdued, which led me to believe that what you see on the national broadcasts is an act.
I seem to recall an article on Walton that spelled this out - while not scripted, the producers give directions to Walton to play up the "goofy dude who says outrageous stuff" angle to the hilt.
Shame, really.
The thing people have to understand about Walton is there is usually some truth in everything he says. When he says Horry is the greatest inbound passer of all time, he doesn't mean that literally, he's saying Horry is a damn good inbound passer. When he says the de-evolution of Manu's game, he's just saying Manu is not playing as well as he did last year, not that Manu sucks. You have to read between the lines with Walton and that's what makes him so good and entertaining. To the sharp witted fans out there it's dry and boring to hear "Horry is a good inbound passer" or "Manu is not playing as well." He's a commentator for the saavy and intelligent basketball fans, and that's why a certain segment of the population won't like him. Some people want commentary spoon-fed to them and don't want to have to use their brains to read between the lines. I personally love it. It's a lot of fun to listen to Walton because he has a great wit. And yes, Walton loves the Spurs.

Last edited by maldoror; 05-11-06 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-11-06, 08:42 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnac The Magnificent
There are no commentators (other than Sean Elliott, of course) that can stomach the Spurs. We all know that. There never will be.
And refs, and commissioners, and news outlets... ect. ect.
And Hubie is the worst one, right Carnac?
Old 05-11-06, 08:49 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I don't really care for Waltons commentating...but no one & I mean no one is worse than Reggie Miller...I know he is a rookie analyst, but he is just horrible & I don't just mean with the Spurs.
Old 05-11-06, 08:52 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I like Bill Walton. If he bothers you, try thinking that he has absolutely NO short term memory from minute to minute. He speaks IN THE MOMENT and will contradict himself several times a game. He is there for comic relief. If the Spurs were playing their best game and beating the Mavs, you may even decide that he is funny.

BTW - he really does like the Spurs and is a great fan of Tim Duncan.
Old 05-11-06, 08:54 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Bill Walton is the greatest Commentator of All Time.
Old 05-11-06, 08:55 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousspirit
I like Bill Walton. If he bothers you, try thinking that he has absolutely NO short term memory from minute to minute. He speaks IN THE MOMENT and will contradict himself several times a game. He is there for comic relief. If the Spurs were playing their best game and beating the Mavs, you may even decide that he is funny.

BTW - he really does like the Spurs and is a great fan of Tim Duncan.
I was going to add my voice to the debate but you made the point I was going to make for me. Walton is living completely in the moment without regard to any overarching agenda.
Old 05-11-06, 09:03 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDA
And Hubie is the worst one, right Carnac?
Yup, you know Hubie. P!ssed that the Spurs eliminated him a couple of years ago, and his master plan of ripping them in the finals came to fruition!!!! Because we all know Hubie is vindictive, if nothing else.
Old 05-11-06, 09:05 PM
SpursReport Team Member

When it comes to Bill Walton, you either get him or you don't. It's really that simple.

Or in some cases maybe some people do get his act but just don't think he's that good/funny. In that case it's just a matter of taste for the viewer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnac The Magnificent
Yup, you know Hubie. P!ssed that the Spurs eliminated him a couple of years ago, and his master plan of ripping them in the finals came to fruition!!!! Because we all know Hubie is vindictive, if nothing else.
Old 05-12-06, 12:48 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Bill Walton is the greatest human being in the history of life.
Old 05-12-06, 12:54 AM
SpursReport Team Member

hey heys better than reggie
Old 05-12-06, 11:46 AM

I will give props to Walton for over-coming his speech impairment...in case you didn't know he once had a stutter in his speech
Old 05-12-06, 11:50 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by stp4
Bill Walton is the greatest human being in the history of life.
Exactly.

I don’t think it’s about the Spurs at all.
Bill Walton exaggerates and changes his mind a lot. I’ve heard him go from praising a team in the 1st quarter to cursing them in the last. It’s what he does: he’s too quick and generous with the praise/hate.
Old 05-12-06, 11:51 AM
Delusional Manu Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairWeatherFan
I don’t think it’s about the Spurs at all.
Bill Walton exaggerates and changes his mind a lot. I’ve heard him go from praising a team in the 1st quarter to cursing them in the last. It’s what he does: he’s too quick and generous with the praise/hate.
Sounds like senility to me!

Old 05-12-06, 05:10 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark21horse
I've read a couple of posts that says that Bill Walton jokes alot, my question is.....are you sure he's joking? Did he say is was joking or you just figured he was joking? The reason I am asking is because ALL of his commentary sounds the same to me....which is why I dont know if he is joking. Some of it is so far out there......you figure......he has to be joking.......but how do I know since it all sounds the same?
I think its pretty obvious if you're really paying attention.
Besides, I watched a few episodes of his reality show that was on ESPN a couple of years ago and he came across as a smart guy with a quick wit...overall a pretty cool dude.
I don't know why you let him get your panties in a wad.
Old 05-12-06, 05:19 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

he's so annoying..its not just cuz of him being negative towards the spurs...he's annoying overall..I always mute ESPN when he's commentating
Old 05-12-06, 05:22 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
I don't know why you let him get your panties in a wad.
I absolutely HATE this phrase.