News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 05-11-06, 02:42 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Kings want "defensive minded" coach

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) -- Rick Adelman had been fired twice before, yet the longtime Sacramento Kings coach felt a particular pang of regret when he got dumped again this week after eight successful seasons.

Kings owners Joe and Gavin Maloof have their own regrets: They want a championship for Sacramento, and they plan to find a coach capable of winning it.

Adelman was dismissed by the Maloof brothers on Tuesday after leading the Kings to eight consecutive playoff appearances, the longest sustained run of success in franchise history. He went 395-229 in Sacramento, winning its first two Pacific Division titles and going as far as Game 7 of the 2002 Western Conference finals.

"I feel like I should have been given another opportunity, but any time a guy gets fired or let go, that's how they feel," Adelman said Wednesday at the Kings' training complex. "I like the team. I liked the direction we were going. We like it here. It would be fun to have another year or two to see what we could do."

In his first public comments since the decision, Adelman said he didn't know whether he would coach again -- and he still professed ignorance about the Maloofs' reasons for firing him.

"Maybe I didn't win the way they wanted the team to win, I don't know," said Adelman, who has 752 career victories, 14th-most in NBA history. "Whatever reasons they can give me, I can give them 10 better that they're wrong, but that doesn't matter.

"Maybe they thought we should beat San Antonio. If they did, they're probably the only people in the country. There has to be something else."

Joe Maloof said there was something else: The Kings' perennial problems with defense, which the owners saw as the biggest obstacle to their goal of winning a championship in Sacramento.

"I think the only major complaint is how much (Adelman) worked on his defense," Maloof told The Associated Press in a phone interview. "Not that we're in practice, but the only way you're going to win that big title is with defense. That's what you see with Detroit, and what we saw with the Spurs. I think the new coach needs to be more defensive-oriented, but one that understands offense."

Sacramento was eliminated from the playoffs last Friday, losing in six games to top-seeded San Antonio. It was the Kings' second straight first-round playoff exit -- but given their remarkable midseason transformation, it was widely seen as cause for celebration.

The Kings won 25 of their final 36 regular-season games to reach the playoffs, spurred by the arrival of Ron Artest in a midseason trade also masterminded by the Maloofs. The owners have recently taken a more active interest in team moves after years of allowing Geoff Petrie, the Kings' highly respected president of basketball operations, to run the team unfettered.

"We are a little more confident, and we know the league a little bit better," said Maloof, whose father owned the Houston Rockets at one time. "We've been thinking about [a coaching change] for the past year. We had that very tough start at the beginning of the year, and we didn't really know what to do. The franchise was kind of in the abyss. It wasn't the same old Kings franchise.

"We had a pretty good run, eight years, and [Adelman] did a great job. ... We thought we gave it a good shot with Rick, but sometimes it's better to make a change."

Maloof said Petrie will put together a list of candidates this week, and the brothers will join him for interviews, perhaps as early as this weekend.

A top rumored candidate is Don Nelson, the veteran NBA coach who stayed home in Maui this season after leaving the Dallas Mavericks late in the 2004-05 campaign. The 66-year-old has 1,190 victories -- second-most in league history -- and would be a flashy hire, but Maloof wasn't sure his friend is right for the job.

"With Nellie, we know he's a tremendous coach, but I don't know how he is on defense, and I say that with respect to him," Maloof said. "All I remember are those Maverick teams, and they reminded me of the Kings teams. That's great, but I think we need someone more defensive-oriented."

Other top rumored candidates include Spurs assistant P.J. Carlesimo, who followed Adelman both in Portland and Golden State; Washington coach Eddie Jordan, the first Kings coach under Petrie who hasn't received a contract extension from the Wizards; and Eric Musselman, the Memphis assistant who led Golden State to two surprisingly successful seasons before getting fired.

Adelman thinks he might stay in Sacramento for another year until his son finishes high school. After that, he might even be ready to leave the West Coast, where he has spent his entire career, for a new challenge.

He discounted the idea of coaching a college team, saying, "That's something I think I'm too old for ... [but] a situation might come up that would be more of an adventure than the others. I think I'd like to stay involved in some capacity with a team. I'm going to let it play out, and things usually work out for the best."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ings.coach.ap/
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-11-06, 02:45 AM
SpursReport Team Member

then why the heck would don nelson be a candidate?

seriously. they should have just kept rick. he coaches better D then nellie,which is saying something.

slapping a yellow "support our troops" sticker on the back of your gas guzzling SUV in the middle of a war for oil makes you an a-holes

cooking is not a chore, cooking is an obsession.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-11-06, 03:37 AM
Banned

He had to go. Paul Silas would be a good choice, Who was the denver coach before karl. Bedzilick or something. He is defenseive minded and did great with denver when they were a terrible team. he made them competitive simply because of defesive pressure, just what the kings need
Old 05-11-06, 03:52 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Why all the sudden interest in this job??? I don't see this team suddenly becoming elite. I look at the Kings and I see Seattle in 2005.

I don't think Bonzi Wells stays in Sacramento. The Maloofs won't overpay to keep him, knowing that they will have to extend Ron Artest BIG TIME or risk losing him in 2007.

The Maloofs desperately want a new building for this team, but know they may have to quickly return to elite status to get support for a new arena. They feel a change to a defensive mind-set will do that. Can they really accomplish that with their current core? Look at their core players, their cap status and see how they fared against the ultimate measuring stick in the Western Conference, the Spurs.

Brad Miller still has 4 years, $44 Million left on his deal and didn't exactly help his trade value in the San Antonio series. While he is still better than the majority of centers in the NBA, his weaknesses were glaring when matched up against the Spurs.

Mike Bibby has 3 years, $40 million left on his deal. He's 28 and never been an All Star - he's not going to get better than he is right now. Can the Kings really expect Bibby to earn that money? The Kings are expected to become a defensive team with Mike Bibby as their point guard?

Shareef Abdur Rahim was so ineffective in his first season as a King, he lost his starting role to Kenny Thomas. He still has 4 years, $24 Million left on his deal. His 12.3 PPG was a career low. His playoff debut was a dud, as he averaged 9 PPG - dismal for a career 19 point scorer. Aside from his 27 point outburst in Game 2, Abdur Rahim never again scored in double figures and his largest rebounding total in any game was 9.

Kenny Thomas is due $30 Million over the next four years. Did he show anyone exactly why he's worth even a fraction of that deal? Averaged 6 Pts, 5 rebs a game vs San Antonio: all lower than his season averages. The Kings might be able to move him in a package, but it would have to be a helluva package to get something valuable in return.

Kevin Martin is still playing off his rookie deal and the Kings will surely pick up option in 2007. If he continues to play as he did vs San Antonio - he can expect a healthy bump in pay. He was very solid against San Antonio, averaging 13 PPG and made some big plays for Sacramento in the series. One of the few players on the current roster that would fit into the defensive team approach the Maloofs desire. He could be a solid building block for this clubs future - but if he continues to blossom, he may be hard to keep.

Ron Artest is happy in Sacramento for now, but how long will that last? He has made it no secret in the recent past, he would like to play for an East coast team, preferably a New York team. With the Knicks not having anything of value to trade - the Nets could move Richard Jefferson to Sacramento in a S&T for Artest. It may be the only solution for the Kings if they feel they could lose Artest for nothing. he is really is as unstable and as unpredictable as any player in the NBA perhaps ever. Anything is possible with this guy and the Kings should prepare for the worst, just in case.

Bonzi Wells was seen by many as the sole reason the Kings were able to extend San Antonio to six games. However, how much of his success was due to a favorable matchup? He averaged 23 pts and 12 rebs vs San Antonio, while his career averages are 13/5. Was it a mirage? Not exactly. Wells has been a good player for many years, but never played that well before. He looked like a perrenial All Star against San Antonio and I don't think he is one. I don't think the Maloofs feel he is one either. They'll offer him a fair deal - but with so many big contracts already on their books and the future of Ron Artest not 100% solidified - his price may end up being too steep for Sacramento. I feel he's gonna walk.

It's going to be a summer of tough decisions for this organization, and I think it will be hard to attract a high profile coach with so many things in question.
Old 05-11-06, 04:09 AM
SpursReport Rookie

well the maybe the rockets Could make a deal send them JVG.. ha.ha..
Old 05-11-06, 06:25 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

They gave Adelman full support and a really decent shot to prove himself in those eight years. I don't think he will be able to give them one good reason why to stay.

Their roster is already set quite well and most their players are young. Their core of Bibby, Artest and Miller is good and they will most probably resign Wells if the contending intentions are serious. 'Reef and Martin are good reserves. They need to find a good PG backup and a PF to anchor their defense.

Corliss Williamson is more than proven as reserve, it was a suprise Adelman didn't use him much. Kenny Thomas has a large contract, and will be hard to move, but all teams have at least one of those bad contracts.
Old 05-11-06, 06:26 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Wait, they want defense and Eddie Jordan is one of the candidates? That makes about as much sense as Nellie. The Kings need to take a look at the Wizards/Cavs 1st round series, especially the overtime games.

There is a reason that the Wizards haven't extended Jordan's contract--the team's COMPLETE LACK OF DEFENSE. The front office lacks faith in Jordan's ability to advance the team far into the playoffs in the coming seasons because while the offense is there, the defense hasn't improved during his tenure.

Jordan is a player's coach, however, so maybe the Kings are looking at him because they think he will deal well with Artest?
Old 05-11-06, 06:59 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

You know there is such a thing as enjoying a challenge. Guys looking for a head coaching position that feel they could work with these pieces wouldn't look at it in nearly the sort of light you tried to slant it.
Old 05-11-06, 08:13 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

The Kings just need new blood. Adleman did a fine job in his tenure there, but the 2 -3 years that this team should have gotten to the finals Adleman couldn't get it done. Now the team is moving in a different direction, their finesse game a thing of the past, they need a hard nosed defensive minded coach with a strong enough personality and background to get this team going in the right direction. I don't think a rookie coach will get it done here, they will need a vet coach with some credibility to get this vets to respond to him. PJ would be an excellent choice.
Old 05-11-06, 08:33 AM
Banned

Great post RichB, all valid points but the kings will be elite again if they could get a shot blocking centre. Brad Miller was awful vs the spurs and it was his lack of D that made it so easy for the spurs to score inside or by kicking it out to open shooters. Package him and Kenny T for a decent centre and a defensive minded backup PG to sub bibby when they need to get stops, add in a defensive minded coach and they will go further than the first round, thats for sure. Either way a off season of change for sacramento is needed
Old 05-11-06, 08:43 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by evenstar

seriously. they should have just kept rick. he coaches better D then nellie,which is saying something.

A top rumored candidate is Don Nelson, the veteran NBA coach who stayed home in Maui this season after leaving the Dallas Mavericks late in the 2004-05 campaign. The 66-year-old has 1,190 victories -- second-most in league history -- and would be a flashy hire, but Maloof wasn't sure his friend is right for the job.

"With Nellie, we know he's a tremendous coach, but I don't know how he is on defense, and I say that with respect to him," Maloof said. "All I remember are those Maverick teams, and they reminded me of the Kings teams. That's great, but I think we need someone more defensive-oriented."
Old 05-11-06, 09:41 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

they're going to have a hard time finding the right coach for that motley crew.

nelson (no job) - no defense
jordan (washington) - no defense
bezdelic (air force) - no respect from players
musselman (grizz asst) - no respect from players
pj carlisimo (spurs asst) - no respect from players

Dave McNulla
Spurs Fan

Tweet Me
Old 05-11-06, 10:54 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Rick Adelman, have you met Frank Solich?
Old 05-11-06, 01:35 PM

we should focus on Adelman coming to SA to help our offense .......Pop's defense & Adelman's offense ? could be scary
Old 05-11-06, 02:01 PM
MomBear

Maybe PJ and Adelman can trade places..
Old 05-11-06, 02:14 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evenstar

lol, It's very scary that people making big bucks would come to that kind of assumption.
Old 05-11-06, 02:27 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

They definitely should consider Larry Brown. Try to get Larry propose a buyout.
Old 05-11-06, 11:47 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Kings' new focus on defense might exclude 'Nellie'

Kings' new focus on defense might exclude 'Nellie'

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

link

Sacramento Kings co-owner Joe Maloof has not ruled out Don Nelson as a candidate to replace the deposed Rick Adelman, but Maloof makes Nelson sound more like a long shot than a favorite to take over as Kings coach.

In a phone interview Wednesday with ESPN.com, Maloof confirmed that Nelson's reputation for free-wheeling offense -- as opposed to the defensive mind-set Joe and brother Gavin Maloof crave -- gives the Kings some hesitation.

"We love Nellie," Maloof said. "But we do feel like defense has to be the priority. We've seen it with the Kings and we've seen it with our WNBA team -- defense wins championships."

Nelson already works for the Maloofs as one of the stars in a television project that could wind up on HBO. George Clooney is producing a show for the Maloofs' entertainment arm in which Nelson serves as the coach of a fictional expansion team, along with former NBA stars Vlade Divac, Norm Nixon and Marques Johnson.

The friendship they now share from the TV connection has linked Nelson to the Sacramento job for months, with Adelman's departure anticipated in NBA coaching circles all season after the Maloofs' brief flirtation last summer with Phil Jackson and with Adelman coaching on the final year of his contract. But there are basketball reasons to link Nelson with the opening as well.

Nelson is one of the few available coaches with a résumé that compares favorably to Adelman's, after Sacramento reached the postseason in each of his eight seasons. Nelson's sideline presence and considerable experience also hold appeal, with the Kings needing a successor who can reach Ron Artest. Finding someone to click with the enigmatic swingman is a primary consideration, since the Maloofs are committed to building around Artest after he headlined Sacramento's transformation from a 17-24 straggler into a playoff team.

Artest told ESPN.com in early April that he wasn't expecting to get a vote from his new bosses but that he hoped Adelman would receive a contract extension for his role in getting Sacramento's revival. "Hopefully we can stay together," Artest said at the time.

He then repeated his preference in even stronger terms after the Kings were eliminated by San Antonio in the first round. Although league rules preclude such gestures, Artest said he would forfeit next season's $7.5 million salary if Adelman and free agent-to-be Bonzi Wells were re-signed.

NBA coaching sources say Sacramento is not required to ask Dallas for permission to speak Nelson, who remains on the Mavericks' payroll as a team consultant. Nelson, who turns 66 on Monday, is a coaching free agent at season's end and thus free to entertain job offers for 2006-07.

Joe Maloof, though, said the Kings' coaching search is only just starting. Maloof anticipates team president Geoff Petrie assembling a list of candidates by week's end that is quickly whittled to four or five finalists who will be interviewed.

"We haven't talked to anyone yet," Maloof said.

Yet he did stress that the final decision on Adelman's replacement will be ownership's as much as Petrie's, in spite of Petrie's reputation as one of league's most accomplished team builders.

"We have to be heavily involved, because this decision is so important for the future of the franchise," Maloof said. "We want to do this as quickly as possible and then leave Geoff and [the new coach] alone."

ESPN.com on Tuesday identified San Antonio Spurs assistant coach P.J. Carlesimo and former Kings assistant Terry Porter, both former NBA head coaches, as likely names for Petrie's list.

Carlesimo is a natural candidate if the Kings elect to model themselves after San Antonio, as the Cleveland Cavaliers did last offseason by hiring Spurs alumni Danny Ferry and Mike Brown as their new GM-coach tandem.

Porter has been out of the league for a year after coaching the Milwaukee Bucks for two seasons and has also surfaced as a possible replacement on Flip Saunders' staff in Detroit for N.C. State-bound Sidney Lowe.

It should be noted that Nelson, fond as he is of the Maloofs, has his own reservations about a return to coaching. The Kings would have to lure him out of X-and-O retirement if they do want Nelson to come to Sacramento for an interview, after the 27-year bench veteran enjoyed what he often refers to as "the year of my life" since resigning as coach of the Mavericks in March 2005.

Adeleman Surprised

Rick Adelman spoke publicly Wednesday about his dismissal in Sacramento for the first time and expressed surprise that the Kings' second-half revival did not earn him a new contract.

"I feel like I should have been given another opportunity, but any time a guy gets fired or let go, that's how they feel," Adelman said at the Kings' training complex. "I like the team. I liked the direction we were going. We like it here. It would be fun to have another year or two to see what we could do.

"Maybe I didn't win the way they wanted the team to win, I don't know. Whatever reasons they can give me, I can give them 10 better [reasons] that they're wrong, but that doesn't matter. Maybe they thought we should beat San Antonio [in the first round]. If they did, they're probably the only people in the country. There has to be something else."

"They" is a reference to Kings co-owners Gavin and Joe Maloof and that "something else" is apparently defense. Not even Sacramento's defensive strides after acquiring Ron Artest in January and an eighth successive trip to the playoffs could save the coach who won two division titles and took the Kings as far as Game 7 of the 2002 Western Conference finals.

"I think the only major complaint is how much [Adelman] worked on his defense," Joe Maloof said. "Not that we're in practice, but the only way you're going to win that big title is with defense. That's what you see with Detroit, and what we saw with the Spurs. I think the new coach needs to be more defensive-oriented, but one that understands offense. "We had a pretty good run, eight years, and [Adelman} did a great job.… We thought we gave it a good shot with Rick, but sometimes it's better to make a change." -- Associated Press
Old 05-12-06, 09:23 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Breaking news: Larry Brown disses Isiah Thomas to take on the Sacramento Kings...

Just kidding... but would you be surprised if it happened?