News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
  #1  
Old 05-10-06, 05:58 PM
spurssheriff's Avatar
SpursReport Team Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 5,911
Kobe, Kobe, Kobe

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...or/05/10/kobe/

There are still plenty of games left in the NBA playoffs, but now that the Los Angeles Lakers have been eliminated, the most fascinating games of all have disappeared with them -- the ones that go on in the mind of Kobe Bryant.

The rest of the postseason promises to be an exercise in inevitability. The Detroit Pistons are almost certainly headed for the Finals, where they will in all probability beat the San Antonio Spurs to win their second championship in three years. LeBron James will continue to progress toward superstardom in predictable stages, losing to the Pistons after a heroic performance in the first round against Washington.

There are very few real surprises in a typical NBA postseason, which is why we'll miss delightfully bizarre Bryant, who is arguably the most talented and inarguably the most psychologically complex player in the league. Watching Bryant work his magic on the court is amazing, but you get the feeling that watching the workings of his psyche would be the real fun.

Lakers fans, however, probably found Bryant's most recent eccentricity more maddening than fascinating. For reasons apparently known only to himself, Bryant took only three shots and scored one -- one! -- point in the second half of the Lakers' loss to the Phoenix Suns in Game 7 of their first-round playoff series last weekend. After scoring 50 points in Game 6 two days earlier, after scoring 23 points in the first half of Game 7, Bryant for some reason decided to spend the second half merely passing the ball and barely looking at the basket. He might as well have been Sasha Vujacic.

Bryant and Lakers head coach Phil Jackson both spouted some nonsense afterward about Kobe trying to get teammates involved in the offense because he couldn't beat the Suns single-handedly. Jackson shrugged his shoulders, as if Kobe's virtual work stoppage was nothing out of the ordinary. Hello? When the NBA's scoring champ suddenly acts like he couldn't find the basket with a GPS system, it's kind of a big deal. Maybe Jackson was hoping that the rest of us wouldn't notice Bryant's voluntary scoring slump, but the guess here is that Phil can't wait to rip him for this in his next book.

When Kobe doesn't shoot, something's up. Can you imagine Michael Jordan pulling such a disappearing act in a big game? Or even James, who has already shown a psychological steadiness at 21 that Bryant, 27, still hasn't achieved? Maybe something was said at halftime of Game 7 by Jackson or one of the other Lakers players that rubbed Bryant the wrong way, or maybe he was disgusted with his teammates' jittery play and decided to teach them a lesson by refusing to bail them out. Whatever it was, something brought Bryant's pouty, immature side to the surface again. It reminded Lakers watchers of the last time he removed himself from the offense, in a game against Sacramento a few years ago after he had come under fire for shooting too much.

It was a shame, in a way, because Bryant seemed to have made such strides earlier in the Phoenix series. He had found the perfect balance between creating his own shots and being a facilitator for his teammates as the Lakers took a 3-1 series lead. Even when the Suns came back to win the next two games, Bryant could hardly be faulted. He wasn't the point-hungry Kobe, ignoring open teammates because he didn't trust them to carry their share of the offensive load. Bryant had grown up, or so it seemed.

But in Game 7, the old Kobe came back -- the Kobe of extremes, the one who insists on all or nothing. This time he gave the Lakers nothing -- nothing but a headache as they try to figure out whether Bryant will ever be even-keeled enough for them to trust him completely.

But that's Jackson's problem. The rest of us can just relax, watch and wonder where the next stop will be in Bryant's bizarro world.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...or/05/10/kobe/
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-10-06, 06:08 PM
maldoror's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,358

This article lacks real insight. He scored 23 in the first half and was on pace for a 40+ game. That wasn't working. They were down by 15 with him dominating the scoring so he took another approach in the second half. The result was the same. It didn't matter what he did, that game belonged to the Suns. Pointless article that just jumps on the bash Kobe bandwagon.

Last edited by maldoror; 05-10-06 at 06:10 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-10-06, 06:15 PM
SRJ's Avatar
SRJ SRJ is offline
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Victoria, TX
Posts: 4,133

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldoror
This article lacks real insight. He scored 23 in the first half and was on pace for a 40+ game. That wasn't working. They were down by 15 with him dominating the scoring so he took another approach in the second half. The result was the same. It didn't matter what he did, that game belonged to the Suns. Pointless article that just jumps on the bash Kobe bandwagon.
If you must go down, you go down swinging. Kobe didn't leave the on-deck circle in the second half.
__________________
Please click the link below to read and review my new short story:
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-10-06, 06:17 PM
DizzG's Avatar
SpursReport Team Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 8,595

Kobe gave up on his team in the second half. he was on the bench pouting at times also. to only take 3 shots when his team needed points was insane. there really is no way to defend that
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-10-06, 06:21 PM
maldoror's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,358

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzG
Kobe gave up on his team in the second half. he was on the bench pouting at times also. to only take 3 shots when his team needed points was insane. there really is no way to defend that
And if he had kept on "swinging" and scored 40 or 50 he would be criticized for dominating the ball too much. He explained his mindset was he was trying to get his teammates off because he felt that was the only chance to win the game.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-10-06, 06:22 PM
SRJ's Avatar
SRJ SRJ is offline
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Victoria, TX
Posts: 4,133

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldoror
And if he had kept on "swinging" and scored 40 or 50 he would be criticized for dominating the ball too much.
Is the point to avoid criticism or to try and win Game Seven?

Only with Kobe is this a serious question.
__________________
Please click the link below to read and review my new short story:
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-10-06, 06:24 PM
maldoror's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,358

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs 2-0, Rockets 2-2, Jazz 0-2
Is the point to avoid criticism or to try and win Game Seven?

Only with Kobe is this a serious question.
No I'm saying he could have done anything and he would have been criticized for the loss despite the fact that his teammates choked under pressure. They were like a flock of deer in the headlights of a convoy of semis.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-10-06, 06:27 PM
Jason R's Avatar
SpursReport Team Captain
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 6,768

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzG
Kobe gave up on his team in the second half. he was on the bench pouting at times also. to only take 3 shots when his team needed points was insane. there really is no way to defend that
Your damned if you do and damned if you don't if your Kobe Bryant. If he would have taken a ton of shots he would have been equally criticized.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-10-06, 06:29 PM
maldoror's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,358

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R
Your damned if you do and damned if you don't if your Kobe Bryant. If he would have taken a ton of shots he would have been equally criticized.
Exactly.

These are the typical kneejerk responses:

Loss = Criticize Kobe "He shot too much" or "He didn't shoot enough"

Win = "Look how good Kobe's teammates are!"

Last edited by maldoror; 05-10-06 at 06:36 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-10-06, 06:31 PM
DizzG's Avatar
SpursReport Team Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 8,595

Spin it any way you want but if you are Kobe Bryant....taking 3 shots and scoring ONE point in the whole second half of game 7 when your team is getting killed just shouldnt happen. The fact people would defend Kobe on this one is hilarious
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-10-06, 06:37 PM
maldoror's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,358

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzG
Spin it any way you want but if you are Kobe Bryant....taking 3 shots and scoring ONE point in the whole second half of game 7 when your team is getting killed just shouldnt happen. The fact people would defend Kobe on this one is hilarious
Your mind seems very closed on the issue. It's a lot more complex than than you make it out to be.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-10-06, 06:39 PM
SRJ's Avatar
SRJ SRJ is offline
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Victoria, TX
Posts: 4,133

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldoror
No I'm saying he could have done anything and he would have been criticized for the loss despite the fact that his teammates choked under pressure. They were like a flock of deer in the headlights of a convoy of semis.
So with the scrubs sucking in the first half, what was the idea of giving them more shots in the second half?

There is no good rationale for your best player, the NBA's scoring champion, scoring one point on three shot attempts. And to say that the role players choked means you had some expectation that players like Smush and Kwame are going to deliver in those situations. They're not going to and everyone knows that. We expect better from a player like Kobe Bryant, and to me it appears as though you're giving him a pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R
Your damned if you do and damned if you don't if your Kobe Bryant. If he would have taken a ton of shots he would have been equally criticized.
Again, why should the criticism matter at all? The object is to win the game, not get good press.

The idea is to win and you're not going to win a Game Seven with your best player, the NBA's leading scorer, shooting three times. No spin gets out of that.
__________________
Please click the link below to read and review my new short story:
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-10-06, 06:41 PM
maldoror's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,358

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs 2-0, Rockets 2-2, Jazz 0-2
So with the scrubs sucking in the first half, what was the idea of giving them more shots in the second half?
They were down by 15 with Kobe dominating the ball. It was obvious they had no chance to win unless it was a team effort in the second half, thus he kept trying to get his teammates off. Not Kobe's fault his teammates didn't step up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs 2-0, Rockets 2-2, Jazz 0-2
The idea is to win and you're not going to win a Game Seven with your best player, the NBA's leading scorer, shooting three times. No spin gets out of that.
A team can't win with the best player shooting 16 times and scoring 24 points? How about the game 3 win when Kobe only scored 17?

Last edited by maldoror; 05-10-06 at 06:48 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-10-06, 06:45 PM
DizzG's Avatar
SpursReport Team Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 8,595

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldoror
Your mind seems very closed on the issue. It's a lot more complex than than you make it out to be.
The lakers sucked ass in the first half. Kobe is the franchise player...really the ONLY great player on the whole team...the rest are decent to scrub type players. It makes no sense that your whole franchise would just decide to only take 3 shots and score one point in the second half of a game seven depending on the rest of the team to suddently come though with everything on the line while Kobe did nothing. What exactly did the rest of the team show in the first half outside Kobe? basically nothing. Why would anyone in their right mind think the scrubs could lead a comeback on the road in a game 7 with no kobe?

Phil Jackson isnt an idiot. I doubt he would have even thought that they way to COME BACK in a game 7 was for kobe to take the second half off.

Kobe has gotten blasted nationally for this game and he DESERVED It
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-10-06, 06:52 PM
maldoror's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,358

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzG

Kobe has gotten blasted nationally for this game and he DESERVED It
Kobe gets blasted by a certain percentage of people any time they lose no matter what he does. The fact that he got blasted by some people means nothing. That's par for the course in any Lakers loss. Certain people will put every loss on Kobe because he is identified as the best player. Why didn't we see anyone blasting his teammates for choking? Why? Because Kobe is some people's favorite target. And when the Lakers win it's "Oh Kobe just did what he's supposed to do.....His teammates really stepped up." It's laughable.

Last edited by maldoror; 05-10-06 at 06:56 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-10-06, 07:13 PM
SRJ's Avatar
SRJ SRJ is offline
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Victoria, TX
Posts: 4,133

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldoror
Why didn't we see anyone blasting his teammates for choking? Why? Because Kobe is some people's favorite target. And when the Lakers win it's "Oh Kobe just did what he's supposed to do.....His teammates really stepped up." It's laughable.
What's no less laughable is you pretending Kobe got nothing but hate on all year. Kobe got a ton of praise this year - deservedly so - for a brilliant season.

I like how according to you, guys like Smush and Kwame are supposed to get blasted for not winning games when everyone in the world knows they're not counted on to win games. In team sports, the superstars get the lion's share of blame AND glory. On this team, when it fails, Kobe, Odom, and Phil get the blame - in that order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldoror
A team can't win with the best player shooting 16 times and scoring 24 points? How about the game 3 win when Kobe only scored 17?
Well, Game Three had quite a bit to do with Game Seven.
__________________
Please click the link below to read and review my new short story:
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-10-06, 07:19 PM
DizzG's Avatar
SpursReport Team Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 8,595

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldoror
Kobe gets blasted by a certain percentage of people any time they lose no matter what he does. The fact that he got blasted by some people means nothing. That's par for the course in any Lakers loss. Certain people will put every loss on Kobe because he is identified as the best player. Why didn't we see anyone blasting his teammates for choking? Why? Because Kobe is some people's favorite target. And when the Lakers win it's "Oh Kobe just did what he's supposed to do.....His teammates really stepped up." It's laughable.
Its not laughable for him to get questioned big time for taking 3 shots and scoring one point in the second half of a game 7 ass kicking. and people kissed Kobe's you know what all year. please
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-10-06, 07:25 PM
maldoror's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,358

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs 2-0, Rockets 2-2, Jazz 0-2
What's no less laughable is you pretending Kobe got nothing but hate on all year. Kobe got a ton of praise this year - deservedly so - for a brilliant season.
Obviously not everyone blasts him. What I said was Kobe gets blasted by certain people no matter what he does. When his team wins they keep quiet or they deflect the praise to other teammates. When his team loses he gets all the blame even if he plays well.

Speaking of which I got a kick out of Barkley saying he has no agenda to criticize Kobe when he has done it since day one. In trying to defend himself he says "I've already said Kobe is the best player in the world." But he leaves him off his top 60 list. Now tell me, how does a player who is the "best in the world" get left off the top 60 list in favor of players like Dennis Johnson? It was pretty funny how he repeatedly kept saying "I have no agenda". Maybe if he says it enough times people will believe him.

Last edited by maldoror; 05-10-06 at 07:29 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-10-06, 09:24 PM
curiousspirit's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: under the radar
Posts: 3,614

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldoror
And if he had kept on "swinging" and scored 40 or 50 he would be criticized for dominating the ball too much. He explained his mindset was he was trying to get his teammates off because he felt that was the only chance to win the game.
Whether Kobe scored or didn't score in the second half is immaterial to the fact that he barely participated in the second half. If he wanted to get his team involved, he should have done more, like moving the ball to open up lanes, moving without the ball, drawing the double and triple teams and then pass it to an open shooter. He could have also defended better, rotated to help defend and go after rebounds. He acted like he was not even on the court. A great player, a franchise player, a leader, would find a way to get his teammates involved in scoring and defending without scoring a single point.

Timmy has repeatedly shown that he doesn't have to be the scorer to win. He can score big, but he knows how important it is to get all his teammates going, so he does the best he can to open up lanes, draw double teams, set P/R so his teammates can score. Kobe did NONE OF THIS in the second half.

That is where Kobe deserves the most criticism, not his lack of scoring.
__________________
It is what it is -- Bruce Bowen
When everyone thinks alike, no one thinks.-- Bill Walton
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-10-06, 11:08 PM
biglakerfan's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: SA
Posts: 426

Defense. You can't beat the Suns without defense.

What does this have to do with Kobe getting his teammates involved? It's simple, if you watch the games you know that the Lakers as a team play their best defense when they have it going offensively. How do the Lakers get it going offensively? By Kobe Bryant distributing the ball and getting others involved. Phil and Kobe both know the only way to get the rest of the team to keep their head in the game and play defense was to put points on that board, if they're just standing around watching Kobe do what he does that would do nothing for their confidence and in turn would do nothing for team defense, which again is the key to beating the Suns (atleast for the Lakers, since they don't have enough offensive talent to hang with them.)
__________________

"Love me, Feed me, Never leave me" --The one and only Garfield
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-10-06, 11:22 PM
Spursfan2k5's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 329

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzG
The fact people would defend Kobe on this one is hilarious
The fact that you and other people blame Kobe for the game 7 loss is hilarious. Its just blind hating. Lakers loss for a lack of defense and because everyone on the Lakers BUT KOBE shot like crap. Kobe's teammates couldn't buy a basket even though Kobe got them open looks. The game before Kobe scored 50! DAMN points shooting around 60% which is remarkable in the playoffs. And what happened? Lakers loss just like the last time Kobe scored 50 against the Suns. Lakers were never gonna win by Kobe scoring a lot of points.

It is a damn if you do damn if you don't thing for Kobe. If Kobe Bryant went to middle east and made peace people would still crap on him and find a way to try and make him look bad. Kobe will never have a shot in any argument to some people.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-10-06, 11:40 PM
SRJ's Avatar
SRJ SRJ is offline
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Victoria, TX
Posts: 4,133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spursfan2k5
The fact that you and other people blame Kobe for the game 7 loss is hilarious. Its just blind hating. Lakers loss for a lack of defense and because everyone on the Lakers BUT KOBE shot like crap. Kobe's teammates couldn't buy a basket even though Kobe got them open looks. The game before Kobe scored 50! DAMN points shooting around 60% which is remarkable in the playoffs. And what happened? Lakers loss just like the last time Kobe scored 50 against the Suns. Lakers were never gonna win by Kobe scoring a lot of points.

It is a damn if you do damn if you don't thing for Kobe. If Kobe Bryant went to middle east and made peace people would still crap on him and find a way to try and make him look bad. Kobe will never have a shot in any argument to some people.
Yeah, if Kobe had just taken fewer than three second half shots, the Lakers win going away.

No, the reality is that people like you will go to unrealistic lengths to defend a quitter. He didn't have to get every shot, but three second half shots from the NBA's scoring champion, an MVP candidate, is unacceptable. You and maldoror go to the exact same card, that his teammates shot like crap. You mean All-Stars like Kwame and Smush? Kobe defer his shots to players like that??

Kupchak didn't bring Smush and Kwame in to win Game Sevens. The Lakers already had that guy - or so they thought.

And you said the same thing maldoror and Jason R said - Kobe gets criticism either way. I can't believe anyone tries to make that point - So the hell what? Do you think Tim Duncan gives two flying figs about what the critics say? You have to play your game and damn the critics. Kobe simply didn't play his game in the second half of Game Seven.

If you're the superstar, the glory and the heat falls on you.
__________________
Please click the link below to read and review my new short story:
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-10-06, 11:58 PM
Spursfan2k5's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs 2-0, Rockets 2-2, Jazz 0-2
And you said the same thing maldoror and Jason R said - Kobe gets criticism either way. I can't believe anyone tries to make that point - So the hell what? Do you think Tim Duncan gives two flying figs about what the critics say? You have to play your game and damn the critics. Kobe simply didn't play his game in the second half of Game Seven.

If you're the superstar, the glory and the heat falls on you.
I never said Kobe cares or not about the criticism I don't know the guy so I wouldn't know. The reason I made mention to that is because that is the reason he is even being criticised now by not only people in the media but people here. Kobe did nothing wrong. He had half's that series where he only shot 3 or so times and won the game and nobody seemed to be complaining then. Most Kobe haters wanted to say how great Kobe's teammates were. How quickly that changes. And no even Kobe Bryant cant come back from a 35 point deficit in the 4th by shooting a lot.

And all actuality Kobe had his team in the second round in game 6. Remember that game? Lakers were down 2 with a minute left after 2 Nash fts. Kobe comes down nails a 3 at the 24 shot clock buzzer Lakers up 1. Lakers get a stop Kobe scores again with a layup lakers up 3 under 24 seconds. Suns come down Nash misses a 3 Lamar doesn't box Marion and Kwame leaves Thomas open runs past him and doesn't foul him with a foul to give Thomas 3 ties it Suns win in OT and blowout in game 7.

Kobe sure does deserve all the blame.

Get over it he did nothing wrong Lakers were never suppose to beat the Suns Lakers are the 7th seed Suns 2nd.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-11-06, 03:10 AM
SupermanThree's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,746

Hmmm.... To worry about the critics or not to worry about the critics...
















































Timmy votes NOT!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-11-06, 03:20 AM
Jason R's Avatar
SpursReport Team Captain
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 6,768

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs 2-0, Rockets 2-2, Jazz 0-2
Yeah, if Kobe had just taken fewer than three second half shots, the Lakers win going away.

No, the reality is that people like you will go to unrealistic lengths to defend a quitter. He didn't have to get every shot, but three second half shots from the NBA's scoring champion, an MVP candidate, is unacceptable. You and maldoror go to the exact same card, that his teammates shot like crap. You mean All-Stars like Kwame and Smush? Kobe defer his shots to players like that??

Kupchak didn't bring Smush and Kwame in to win Game Sevens. The Lakers already had that guy - or so they thought.

And you said the same thing maldoror and Jason R said - Kobe gets criticism either way. I can't believe anyone tries to make that point - So the hell what? Do you think Tim Duncan gives two flying figs about what the critics say? You have to play your game and damn the critics. Kobe simply didn't play his game in the second half of Game Seven.

If you're the superstar, the glory and the heat falls on you.
Again, your damnation is meaningless, because it would have come regardless of what he did. You can't prove a point when you would have said the exact opposite statement of what your saying now, had he done exactly what your telling him to do in this current post.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-11-06, 04:16 AM
KAD's Avatar
KAD KAD is offline
SpursReport Team Captain
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio
Posts: 7,205

He is still a bizarro character
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-11-06, 08:18 AM
Buzzsaw's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 2,805

Get your teammates involved? Fine. Good idea.

But dude would stand at the top of the key, throw it to Odom, and then just stay there. He wasn't even moving without the ball. I know for a Kobe fanboy, he could come home and find Kobe mounting his wife and would still make some excuse for him, but come on. It was obvious to anyone watching that Kobe was sulking. I agree he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. So he didn't. At the very least, it was extremely curious.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-11-06, 08:24 AM
Dr. Real's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 4,209

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldoror
And if he had kept on "swinging" and scored 40 or 50 he would be criticized for dominating the ball too much. He explained his mindset was he was trying to get his teammates off because he felt that was the only chance to win the game.
So give up right?
Kobe left off from even playin'. He showed no intention on even helpin' his teammates. He was so passive, it made him a liability. Stop makin' excuses.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-11-06, 08:26 AM
luteum's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: GA,USA
Posts: 384

People STILL defending Kobe..

I'm speechless..
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-11-06, 08:27 AM
dark21horse's Avatar
Delusional Manu Lover
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,886

Kobe and his ego are right were they need to be......watching the playoffs on TV. I didn't even want the Lakers in the playoffs, but I will settle for them being eliminated in the 1st round. How sweet it is.
__________________
Hibbert, who worked out with Duncan in San Antonio during the lockout, said he has grown close to the perennial All-Star. On Friday, he texted Duncan and asked how he should guard him.

"He said, 'Go for every pump fake,' " Hibbert said.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 05-11-06, 08:30 AM
Dr. Real's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 4,209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R
Your damned if you do and damned if you don't if your Kobe Bryant. If he would have taken a ton of shots he would have been equally criticized.
I'm sorry Jason. The guy served up a lackadaisical performance in the 2nd half. if your team is gettin' totally dominated without you even lookin' to score, IN AN ELIMINATION GAME, are you gonna tall me you don't become aggressive? He wasn't even lookin' to put pressure on the defense. HE DIDN'T NEED TO SCORE. But you don't need to sit there at the top of the key and watch your teammates crash and burn. Why not float down to the post and draw a few doubles? Why not drive and collapse the defense to get your teammates open looks? Why not test the interior defense on a few possessions to see if you can get to the line? YOU DO NOT "HELP" YOUR TEAMMATES OUT BY PASSIN' OFF CONTINUALLY AS YOU WATCH THEM CRASH AND BURN IN ONE-ON-ONE BASKETBALL, ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE THE TEAM'S FIRST SCORIN' OPTION. If he's not selfish, then he has low b-ball IQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R
Again, your damnation is meaningless, because it would have come regardless of what he did. You can't prove a point when you would have said the exact opposite statement of what your saying now, had he done exactly what your telling him to do in this current post.
I think not.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 05-11-06, 08:53 AM
JoeSchmo's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The capital of Texas...that's right...Sunset Valley
Posts: 840

Whether Kobe should or shouldn't have scored, if the Lakers let the Suns set the up tempo pace and his teammates can't score against the "juggernaut" Suns defense in a halfcourt set, they were not going to win whether Kobe scored 24 or 44.
__________________

"Married men live longer. Yes. And an indoor cat also lives longer. It's a furball with a broken spirit, that can only look out on a world it can never enjoy. But it does technically live longer." - Bill Maher
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 05-11-06, 09:01 AM
bo spur's Avatar
SpursReport Team Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Austin
Posts: 5,775

Kobe gave up on his team, he wasn't trying to get his team mates involved, he quit on them period. And since he has done this exact same thing before, in a much less meaningfull game, it doesn't surprise me at all.

The problem with people who are defending this pre-madonna spoiled brat, is the fact that he is the one with playoff experience, he's the one who's been in a game 7 before, he's the one who's helped win championships, hes the one who ran Shaq out of town so he could be the man, he's the one everyone else is saying is the best player in the world.
If Kobe wasn't going to take the elimination game over who was? Smush, Odom, Sasha, Kwame????? Give me a break.
Once he realized they weren't going to win the game, he gave up and became a spectator. He wasn't rebounding he wasn't setting his team mates up, he was simply watching his team get destroyed.

Again if he hadn't have done this before, you might have some type of arguement, but being that we have already seen this type of crap from him I feel like he did quit.
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 05-11-06, 09:06 AM
carpetback's Avatar
SpursReport Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Carol Stream, IL
Posts: 49

How were the Suns defending him in the second half? Double, triple, quadruple teams? The same way they defended him in the first half? Was he passing up wide open shots?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 05-11-06, 09:09 AM
dark21horse's Avatar
Delusional Manu Lover
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,886

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo spur
Kobe gave up on his team, he wasn't trying to get his team mates involved, he quit on them period. And since he has done this exact same thing before, in a much less meaningfull game, it doesn't surprise me at all.

The problem with people who are defending this pre-madonna spoiled brat, is the fact that he is the one with playoff experience, he's the one who's been in a game 7 before, he's the one who's helped win championships, hes the one who ran Shaq out of town so he could be the man, he's the one everyone else is saying is the best player in the world.
If Kobe wasn't going to take the elimination game over who was? Smush, Odom, Sasha, Kwame????? Give me a break.
Once he realized they weren't going to win the game, he gave up and became a spectator. He wasn't rebounding he wasn't setting his team mates up, he was simply watching his team get destroyed.

Again if he hadn't have done this before, you might have some type of arguement, but being that we have already seen this type of crap from him I feel like he did quit.


I would like to add that Kobe wanted it to be HIS team. Now that it is HIS team...you see what a Kobe lead team does.......
__________________
Hibbert, who worked out with Duncan in San Antonio during the lockout, said he has grown close to the perennial All-Star. On Friday, he texted Duncan and asked how he should guard him.

"He said, 'Go for every pump fake,' " Hibbert said.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 05-11-06, 09:31 AM
DizzG's Avatar
SpursReport Team Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 8,595

Quote:
Its just blind hating
to have issue with the franchise only taking 3 shots and scoring one point in a GAME 7 isnt hating. he didnt even look to score and his teammates were not doing jack. Kobe has gotten mad love for the season he had this year but to say its hating on the guy for what happened in game 7 is stupid
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 05-11-06, 09:47 AM
Robinson50's Avatar
SpursReport Team Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,098

Quote:
Originally Posted by luteum
People STILL defending Kobe..

I'm speechless..
Of course Kobe lovers will continue to keep defending Kobe. That's what love is about - blind love. Of course they'd say others are just hating on him, just like others are jealous of him or can't stand Kobe being better than MJ, etc. The truth is that they cannot reason with you, and they contradict themselves always. You can imagine if Lebron/TMac/AI/Wade pulled such an act, they'd be laughing at those players real hard.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 05-11-06, 10:24 AM
Malice's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Colorado Springs, Co
Posts: 2,947

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldoror
Exactly.

These are the typical kneejerk responses:

Loss = Criticize Kobe "He shot too much" or "He didn't shoot enough"

Win = "Look how good Kobe's teammates are!"
Well, no one to blame for that but KOBE. Every single game this year he averaged 30+ shot attempts a game, then descides" O wait, the playofs are here! Thats not the way to win games, let me start getting my teammates involved..." He's brought every bit of this on himself. So, sorry if I dont feel sorry for the pompus ass. Its obvious to EVERYONE he had an agenda, just like a couple years ago when people were *****ing about him taking too many shots, no passing, in that game he took only 10 shot attempts...so this is not a new thing for Kobe....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 05-11-06, 10:27 AM
dark21horse's Avatar
Delusional Manu Lover
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,886

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice
Well, no one to blame for that but KOBE. Every single game this year he averaged 30+ shot attempts a game, then descides" O wait, the playofs are here! Thats not the way to win games, let me start getting my teammates involved..." He's brought every bit of this on himself. So, sorry if I dont feel sorry for the pompus ass. Its obvious to EVERYONE he had an agenda, just like a couple years ago when people were *****ing about him taking too many shots, no passing, in that game he took only 10 shot attempts...so this is not a new thing for Kobe....


I hope Kobe keeps doing what he's doing. That way......he wont get any more rings.....just the way I like it!!!!!!
__________________
Hibbert, who worked out with Duncan in San Antonio during the lockout, said he has grown close to the perennial All-Star. On Friday, he texted Duncan and asked how he should guard him.

"He said, 'Go for every pump fake,' " Hibbert said.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 05-11-06, 10:33 AM
Malice's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Colorado Springs, Co
Posts: 2,947

Why are we even talking about this ass? Series over, the REAL team won, lets move on. We got an entire season next year to watch the pompus ass go after another scoring title and MVP award....funny how Kobe wasnt even in the top 3 in MVP votes....hmmmm.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 05-11-06, 10:51 AM
Derek Flint's Avatar  
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R
Your damned if you do and damned if you don't if your Kobe Bryant. If he would have taken a ton of shots he would have been equally criticized.
Not if they won the game. What's remarkable about his 81 point game was that be brough the Lakers back to win the game by himself. Granted Phoenix is no Toronto, but he could have made a real difference.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 05-11-06, 06:08 PM
SRJ's Avatar
SRJ SRJ is offline
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Victoria, TX
Posts: 4,133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R
Again, your damnation is meaningless, because it would have come regardless of what he did. You can't prove a point when you would have said the exact opposite statement of what your saying now, had he done exactly what your telling him to do in this current post.
And your rebuttals are pure piffle if you're not going to address the argument and dismiss it as "haterism".

It was obvious Phoenix was going was going to win that game. They were sharper, they had more energy, and their role players were outperforming the Lakers role players.

But if your argument is that you have a better chance at winning the game without more involvement in the second half from one of the top five players in the league, then it's a spectacularly stupid argument and it's beneath you. It also reveals a bias of your own if you're incapable of criticizing a top player who didn't bother to try when the ship was sinking. David Robinson, the man the whole media called soft, would shoot more than three times in the second half of an elimination game.

Go ahead and call hater again if you want. Dodger.
__________________
Please click the link below to read and review my new short story:
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.7.4 Copyright © 2000-2008 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0